2006 Dodge Charger drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Dodge Charger:

2006 Dodge Charger Owner Comments (Page 7 of 8)

Sep 072011

The contact owns a 2006 Dodge Charger. The contact stated that the gear shift would not release from park. The dealer and manufacturer made the contact aware of the NHTSA campaign id number: 08V583000 ( power train:automatic transmission:lever and linkage:column shift) but advised that the VIN was not included. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileage was 40,000.

- Glendale, CA, USA

Aug 292011

The contact 2006 Dodge Charger. While parked the contact attempted to shift the gear shifter from park to drive but was unable to because the shifter was stuck. The vehicle was towed to the dealer for diagnostics. The technician stated the shift interlock level was fractured and the gear shifter would have to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 95,000.

- Kankakee, IL, USA

Sep 022011

The contact owns a 2006 Dodge Charger. The contact stated that the vehicle would not shift out of park gear. The vehicle was towed to an authorized dealer, where the gear shift was replaced. The failure mileage was 68,227.

- Clearwater, FL, USA

Aug 192011

The contact owns a 2006 Dodge Charger. The contact stated that the vehicle would not shift out of park. The vehicle was not taken to have the failure diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure, but offered no assistance. The failure and current mileages were 110,700.

- Lillian, AL, USA

Jul 152011

2006 Charger would not shift out of park. Called aaa, they said they've had many simular calls about Dodge Chargers. Tow company driver said he's had several calls about this and knew how to temporarly get the car out of park. Dodge dealer said that I had to get the whole shifter assembly replaced and it would cost between $500 & $600. Found a repairman that replaced only the broken part. It was the shifter interlock that was made of plastic. The after-market part he replaced with was made of metal. If the dealer would have replaced the whole shifter assembly it would have had the same defective plastic part. Why doesn't Dodge do a recall on this?

- San Dimas, CA, USA

Jul 172011

The contact owns a 2006 Dodge Charger. The contact stated that after placing the vehicle into park, she was unable to remove the gear shifter from that position. The vehicle had not been inspected by a dealer nor repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure and the contact was informed that the vehicle was not included in the recall associated with NHTSA campaign id number 08V583000 (power train:automatic transmission:lever and linkage:column shift). The failure and current mileages were approximately 87,500.

- Sacramento, CA, USA

Jul 092011

The contact owns a 2006 Dodge Charger. The contact was driving 60 mph when the vehicle stalled with an accompanying warning chime. The local mechanic diagnosed that the failure was at the transmission gear shifter linkage system. The manufacturer was contacted but denied assistance with the repair. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileage was 74,874.

- Hueytown, AL, USA

Aug 202009

I have a 2006 Dodge Charger. When I first bought it, I had to take it back to the dealer 13 separate times for issues. They were never resolved fully. The dealer actually broke the window controls on the drivers side in front of me, and tried to tell me it was already like that.... luckily, he was seen, and was dealt with. The newest issue, which I see via online research a lot of people are having is the shift kit. The park lock mechanism broke, and I could not get it out of park. We've removed the console, and every day, I have to push the broken piece of plastic down in order to get the car in gear. The dealer wants $450 to fix this, and I will not pay it. Hundreds of complaints have been filed. No action has been taken. The piece that broke is a pathetic bright pink piece of plastic that is as cheap as a toy from the dollar store, and I am not exaggerating. It's pathetic. It's unsafe, it's not right, and something needs to be done. Asap. I cannot believe that no one has issued a recall or safety call on this. There are several very reputable websites that sell the cheap piece that's broken because hundreds and hundreds of people are reporting this broken. Something is very wrong here. Funny┐the piece I┐M referring to costs $49.99 to replace, and is made out of metal. Dodge replaces it with the same plastic, which breaks a year later. And, they charge $450 to do it, as they replace the entire shift kit. Sad. I've contacted the website several times, and they provided a lot of help. Dodge; none.

- Boynton Beach, FL, USA

Jun 062011

The contact owns a 2006 Dodge Charger. The contact stated that while the vehicle was shifted into reverse, the gear failed. The vehicle was towed to the dealer who performed a diagnostic that located the failure at the gear shifter. The dealer replaced the shifter assembly. The failure mileage was 69,682 and the current mileage was 69,683.

- New Roads, LA, USA

Jan 242011

Charger 6-cyl

I have a 2006 Dodge Charger and the rocker arm broke.

- Newport Beach, CA, USA

Nov 232010

I have a 2006 Dodge Charger (hemi)the car wont' shift out of park. I can crank it and all but when I go to move it into gear. Nothing. It's stuck. If this happens really often and the cheap piece of plastic is an issue this should be considered as a recall and to make a better stronger proper part other than a plastic milk top piece that can keep a 20,000 dollar car from functioning. Please help. This has occurred twice to me at $370 the first time and $150 the second time. This is ridiculous and darn sure costly for the same part. Parts replaced was a simple pink plastic. Well I be D....(darn). ;-( I am sooooo not happy.

- Waco, TX, USA

May 152010

Approximately around May 2010 the vehicle began randomly stalling. When it first began it was very infrequent, about once every 25 days, but it progressively got worse and worse. It is now at the point where it will stall every 5 to 15 minutes. The vehicle stalls when slowing/approaching a stop or stopped or when doing low speed maneuvering. It will occasionally stall when accelerating from a stopped position as well. The electronic throttle control light comes on when it stalls. The vehicle will generally restart without much problem. The symptoms are identical to the symptoms descibed involving the 2005 Dodge durango (NHTSA defect investigation #EA05018 and investigation #PE05027).

- Vallejo, CA, USA

Sep 252010

Charger 6-cyl

2006 Dodge Charger was driving fine yesterday, parked the car, next morning went to start car and started but would not move out of park. Towed car to dealer and found shifter assembly had a broken part - for a part to break while being parked and after doing research it is a common complaint for the Dodge Charger, what happens if this breaks while you are driving? big safety issue then.

- Magnolia, TX, USA

Sep 082010

2006 Dodge Charger is stuck in park. While researching a possible fix I noticed that this is a common defect even on newer Chargers. I believe that this should be looked in to, as we the consumer are paying for repairs that Dodge obviously knows is a trending problem.

- West Point, MS, USA

Aug 122010

A plastic part inside the gear shift broke off and then could not move gear shift out of park. The whole gear shift had to be replaced.

- St. Louis, MO, USA

Jan 012010

The vehicle is a 2006 Dodge Charger with about 35,000 miles. It was in regular use as a police car. The engine stalls out at random intervals both when the car is parked and when the car is moving. It is a serious safety hazard for a police officer driving an emergency vehicle to have the car suddenly lose power and stall. The car has been out of service for several months. It has been at the local Dodge dealership for repairs at least six times with no improvement.

- Brighton, CO, USA

Jul 072010

My 2006 Dodge Charger was stuck in park and would not shift. The dealer is telling me they have had many issues with the shifter and are wanting to charge me $400 to fix it. The employees at the towing company also advised they have seen many problems with it. In researching it, I found it is a flimsy pink piece called the park lock out mechanism, which costs $49.99 to replace. If there have been this many issues, it should be recalled.

- Margate, FL, USA

Apr 082010

The contact owns a 2006 Dodge Charger. In April 2010, the vehicle was taken to an authorized dealership because the gear shifter locked in the park position. The dealer replaced the gear shifter but after the repair, the vehicle began to shut off suddenly while the contact was driving at any speed. The check engine light illuminated before the failure occurred. The vehicle was taken back to the dealership numerous times. The contact called the manufacturer and was advised to take the vehicle back to the dealership. A engineer sent by the manufacturer advised the dealer to replace the transmission shifter, spark plugs and wires, distributor cap and transmission sensor. After the repairs were performed, the failure continued. The failure mileage was approximately 52,000. The current mileage was 54,567.

- Downy, CA, USA

Oct 222008

Charger 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Dodge Charger. While driving in the fall of 2008, the vehicle suddenly accelerated and slowed down when he depressed the brake pedal. He took the vehicle to the dealership but the dealer could not duplicate the failure. On another occasion while driving, he tried to stop at a traffic light yet the brakes did not respond; instead the vehicle began to accelerate. He pulled the vehicle to the right and continued to press on the brake pedal and after several attempts the vehicle stopped. He took the vehicle to the dealership and expressed his concerns. Once again, the dealer could not find the cause. He has not called the manufacturer to-date. The vehicle has not been repaired at the time of the complaint. The current mileage was approximately 44,500. The failure mileage was approximately 30,000. Updated 03/01/10 the consumer stated the vehicle would go N O faster than 10 mph. Updated 09/02/10

- Union Grove, WI, USA

Oct 212008

I have a 2006 Dodge Charger, purchased in cleveland oh in October/November 2005. I had issues with my vehicle starting in the beginning of 2006. I initially noticed that my transmission clutch was slipping and that my vehicle would not shift into gear. I took the vehicle into the dealership in September 2006 O find that the transmission clip had to be replaced. Then another issue, that has yet to be resolved, began to emerge in early 2007. I noticed that the vehicle would rumble as if was preparing to shut off, usually when I was coming to a stop. Additionally, my vehicle would at times seem to be stuck in idle when I was trying to accelerate. My vehicle has been in the dealership repair shop 5 different times for this issue. I was told twice that the computer chip needed to be reprogrammed. Two other times I was told the issue was related to brake issues and that my brakes needed to be replaced. I am filing this complaint because my vehicle is currently not under warranty, meaning a service charge everytime I take it in, and once again the issue has gone to the point where I need to take it one more time. I have contacted the manufacturer twice on this issue, once in 2007 and again recently, to no resolve. I have talked to one other Charger (2007)owner who indicated they have a similar issue. The issue only occurs periodically, but prevents me from traveling long distances in my vehicle for fear of irreparable damage. I feel as my last option is to file this complaint.

- Cleveland, OH, USA