2006 Dodge Charger electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Dodge Charger:

2006 Dodge Charger Owner Comments (Page 1 of 3)

Oct 222013

Charger

I just finished refueling almost to full. Vehicle started perfectly. Drove approximately 2 blocks at 15 mph when the vehicle suddenly stalled and shut off. It took 3 attempts to restart. I drove approximately 4 more blocks at 15 mph when the vehicle suddenly stalled and shut off again. I had the vehicle towed to the repair shop that I use. The mechanic at the shop drove the vehicle. The vehicle stalled and shut off 2 times while the mechanic drove it. Vehicle was scanned for codes. No codes were displayed. The mechanic cleaned out the throttle body. Vehicle has been operating perfect since that time. One other note. One month prior, with 3/4 tank of fuel, fuel gauge suddenly dropped to empty and chiming sound began ringing for approximately 10 seconds. Vehicle did not stall or shut off. Fuel gauge then suddenly returned to 3/4 full and chiming sound stopped ringing.

- Albertson, NY, USA

May 082013

Charger

Vehicle stalled again today (October 19th, 2013) with no warning while making a left-hand turn at a major intersection. Filled up earlier today with no top off. Has happened multiple times prior since (May 2013). Dealer can not diagnose. Normally happens after fuel fill up. After complaining multiple times to the dealer, replaced all spark plugs and performed a transmission flush and re flashed the PCM at my expense, despite having warranty coverage through 2015 120K miles because they could not repeat the problem on a 5 minute test drive. The vehicle stalled again two days later. After more visits no solution has been met and this car is extremely unsafe.

- Ogdensburg, NY, USA

Aug 182012

Charger

I was traveling on the highway and my car stalled and had to coast to the shoulder in August 2012. This again happened May 2013. The last incident occurred September 21st pulling out of a parking lot. The car started back up after each occasion.

- Massillon, OH, USA

Dec 122012

Charger

Car began going into limp mode while driving down the road or coming to a stop and restarting. Now throws engine lights for cylinder 3 and cylinder 4 misfire.

- Clinton, IN, USA

Sep 012013

Charger

A quarter of the way through my turn to enter I-10 my car completly lost power and shut off out of the blue without warning!! I had to coast across 3 lanes of traffic praying my son and I wouldn't get into an accident. Once on the side of the rode I turned the key off, waited a second then turned it again to have the car start right up and be fine the rest of the way home. This is not the first time this has happened. Research has revealed this is a common problem which needs to be addresses before someone is killed!! strongly urging ntsb to launch an investigation into Dodge/Chrysler.

- Red Rock, AZ, USA

Dec 012012

Charger

My car has had multiple occurrences where I am sitting at a stoplight in traffic and the car will suddenly shut off for no reason. This usually occurs after I fill the gas tank completely full after a trip to the gas station. My car has also done this while the car is moving. This has happened up to 70 mph while trying to pass another vehicle. The car actually "coughed" then just sort of stalling, suddenly started performing normally. This vehicle has stalled so many times at stoplights in traffic that my wife is afraid to drive it anymore. My local Chrysler dealer has installed two different transmission control modules in the car in an attempt to fix the problem, but to no avail. I have noticed that since I have stopped filling the gas tank completely full that the stalling has stopped.

- Springfield, IL, USA

Jul 212008

Charger

I was driving when my car seemed to stall and start back. The most scariest times are on the freeway. I've been in the fast lane and had it happens car stalls and kicks back on. I've taken my car to Dodge dealers and they can't figure it out. I love my car but I'm really getting sick of them not fixing the problem. I'm having the same problem as everyone else so I'm not going to type it up in detail. But there is no reason why a car can stall itself and restart back up with no trace it ever happen. It's dangerous to the driver and passengers and incoming traffic. My car has been checked from the engine own and its showing nothing. My car is currently at chapman Dodge Chrysler and Jeep and I got the call today saying its nothing showing wrong. It seems its electrical because when it happens it loses power and when I starts back on it has a kick to it. I'm just asking for it to be fix before someone gets killed.

- North Las Vegas , NV, USA

Apr 022013

Charger 8-cyl

As I was driving across the desert on I-10 in Arizona, all of a sudden my car lost all engine power. The lights on the dash chimed, my rpms dropped to zero, then just as suddenly they all went right back to normal and the engine jerked us forward as the tranny figured out what gear it belonged in. It started like that, only happening on occasion. Now, I can't make it more than 1-2 miles (literally) without stalling out or losing engine fire. If it happens when I'm at a low mph the car just stalls out and died. No power steering or brakes, but the lights and radio are working. On the hwy at higher speeds, it lurches as described above. On the on-ramp, however, it becomes a life or death situation, especially when starting on a downhill ramp with a big rig wailing up behind me. I have been missed by truly only inches on multiple occasions. I can't afford a new car, they can't find what's wrong with mine, and I can't sell a vehicle that won't make it for a test drive. Can we please get a fix" answers? wasn't it my tax dollars that bought this company out of bankruptcy"

- Tucson, AZ, USA

Jan 212013

Charger 8-cyl

After filling up the fuel tank, leaving the gas station the car stalled out several times. First out of the gas station, then 2 more times while getting on the freeway. Very nerve racking. This has been a consistent situation everytime I have filled up for the last several months. I have not been able to use the vehicle to travel back and forth to work or other business needs. Not real happy right now. Have contact dealer and waiting response.

- Mission Viejo, CA, USA

May 042013

Charger 6-cyl

While driving on the highway going 60mph in the center lane during busy traffic and it was dark, the vehicle just shut completely off. I also had a my 14 month baby in the car. There was lost of power, steering was lost. I had to shift it in neutral and glide to the shoulder lane almost being hit by a truck. I turned the key off and tried to restart the car, after a few attempts the car started, when I shifted it in drive and proceeded to try and get back on the road it shut off again. The engine, ABS, traction control & electrical light was on. I tried restarting it and it started and drove like nothing had happened, even the lights were no longer on. I took it to the shop and they ran diagnostics and tried to duplicate the problem, they couldn't help me and says that until it happens again they can't do anything. I called the dealership and they said the same thing, they said that they have never heard of this happening. They said they would keep my vehicle and try to figure out what is going on, if they don't find anything than they would keep it and try to duplicate the problem and I could be without my car until they figure it out. Since the first incident it has happened at lease 10 more times. I researched it online and there are multiple cases of this happening with Chrysler vehicles. There is now an investigation ongoing but until then many owners have to deal with this problem or go without their vehicle. Many have said that it happened after refueling their car, for me it has happened a couple of times after refueling, but multiple times while it was at 1/2 and 1/4 tank. A really bad accident to include serious injuries and or death to the driver can happen and what will happen then? before this occurs something needs to be done immediately and the company should pay for the repairs to correct his issue. A recall needs to be issued immediately!

- Waipahu, HI, USA

Sep 012012

Charger 8-cyl

At least three times my 5.7 liter hemi has stalled while driving. It has always stalled at low speeds (I.e. under 35 mph) and sometimes as slow as 15. Every time is has occurred while driving from stoplight to stoplight with a light throttle application. It has occurred at least once after filling up. I also don't know if this is related, but probably between 6-10 times now while driving at highway speeds (50-70 mph) the entire dashboard (I.e. tach, speedometer, engine temp, and fuel gage) all die. What happens is they all seem to lose power, all needles fall to 0, or their turned off position, then once they hit the stops they all power back up again, swing back to where they were, all the warning lights come on, and then extinguish after a couple of seconds. This entire time there is not change in speed, or the engine, when I am in cruise control, this does not seem to affect the cruise control.

- Middletown, RI, USA

May 152013

Charger 8-cyl

I purchased this 2006 Dodge Charger R/T from a dealership in woodland, ca immediately after leaving the lot I drove approx. 20 miles on my way home the car started stalling while I was driving on the freeway, I will be driving along and it will suddenly jerk and lose all power for a split second (if someone was riding my bumper it would have been an accident for sure) as it lost power the RPM gauge went all the way down and jumped back up as if the car died completely and restarted itself, it chimed even as if I had just started the car. I have researched this issue online and see its a very common problem to no avail. I took my car to the dealership in my hometown and they could not find the problem, said it was spark plugs etc I ended up spending $550 and its still stalling sometimes up to 15-20 times a day its very dangerous unfortunately the car is out of warranty and I cant afford to keep dishing money out to Dodge. I seriously believe this is a common issue with Dodge and Chrysler vehicles as I've seen online very many people having this same problem but there's no solution as far as I can find! im kinda scared to drive the car like this but its my only means of transportation so this needs to be looked into!! its dangerous!

- Modesto, CA, USA

Apr 232013

Charger 8-cyl

I have a 2006 Dodge Charger R/T with the 5.7. at least once per day (and often much more often), during acceleration, car will go into "limp" mode, where the engine or transmission will stop producing power to the wheels. Engine light will "ding" and RPM will drop from acceleration RPM down to about 2000 RPM and cause the car to hesitate, creating an especially dangerous situation on highway merging. Car will come back on line after about 1-2 seconds, and run normally. The more I push the acceleration, the more likely to occur. Also, car will simply stall at low speeds or while in idle. I bought the car about 30 days ago, and reported to the dealership immediately, and they duplicated the issue. They thought it could be a short, but after 3 hours labor (they covered this cost), did not correct it. They do not know what it is, and are next looking into a torque converter possibility, and also looking at the throttle body. Not sure at this time if they will come good for the fix in the long term. This stalling loss of power and going into "limp mode" seems to be excessively common on these cars, according to blogs and Dodge sites online. While the local dealership has been extremely helpful and great work with so far, this should fall on Dodge itself, not the dealer, to make good for, as it seems to be a prevalent and dangerous issue. Very dangerous situation, and Dodge/Chrysler should make this right for everyone.

- Brewer, ME, USA

May 152012

Charger 8-cyl

I was driving the car at 60mph on the expressway when the engine quit with no warning causing the car to lose all power in heavy traffic. My car was nearly hit several times by other cars as I tried to change lanes in order to reach the emergency lane on the right side of the expressway. I restarted the car with no problems. The car engine has quit for no reason several other times with no warning in the last year while driving at different speeds. The manufacturer needs issue a recall, or be liable for any lawsuits resulting from accidents caused by defective fuel systems in these vehicles.

- Denham Springs, LA, USA

Mar 132013

Charger

Took car to the dealership for tune-up;and transmission service on march13, 2013; on April 17, 2013 the car totally shutdown as I turned into the gas station. I got it started, it jerked as if it was choking, I managed to get to the dealership and it shut down again, just before I made it up to the service lane at the dealership. I was told that the rear axle seals were leaking, which I had repaired, also that an updated memory chip should have been installed in March, so that was done. Pickup my car on April 18, 2013 and while sitting in traffic, the car was shaking and felt as though it was about to cutoff. I put in park while at the traffic light and pressed on the gas to raise the engine;as I turned into my driveway, it stalled again. I took it back to the dealership, they initially said there was a coil that was misfiring but the diagnostic machine could not detect it. I picked my car up on April 25, 2013 only to have something electrically draining my battery down to 4 or 5 volts every other day. Took it back to the dealership, technician said their diagnostic machine couldn't find any problems with the battery, alternator nor any of electrical parts. I had no problems with my car prior to having the above services done. After speaking with a mechanic, I was told that I am not the only person having these type of problems, especially after a new software chip has been installed. Perhaps this and other issues need to really be addressed with Chrysler.

- Sunrise, FL, USA

Apr 022013

Charger

Shortly after filling the vehicle with fuel one day, it began to stall out when stopped. While traveling at highway speeds it seems to momentarily lose electrical and mechanical power, then a warning sound will chime and everything returns to normal... temporarily. However, while on a road trip and traveling at speeds over 70mph with cruise control on, we didn't experience any of these symptoms until we had to reduce our speed when approaching towns. Also, the cruise control will shut off if it is being used when "power surge" happens and has to be manually reset.

- Floral City , FL, USA

Dec 202012

Charger 8-cyl

When traveling at hwy. Speed the car loses power and shuts off and back on by itself. If im stopped at a red light and it does it I have to put it in park and crank it back up but then it takes a 10-15 seconds before it will go into gear. The problem use to happen once or twice in a day and then it may be 2 weeks before it would happen again. Now the car is not drivable as it does this constant. I got a new front control module and drove it about 20 miles and it started again.

- Opelika, AL, USA

Aug 172012

Charger 8-cyl

I was driving my vehicle and it started smoking I pulled over. Called mechanic had it towed to the shop where he later told me the motor was blown. Second incident there's a beeping sound and all my gauges keeping going crazy on me.third incident that pink piece inside the gear shift actual was stuck and came lose so it was removed and the car is able to be put into gear.

- Brooklyn , NY, USA

Feb 102013

Charger

The contact owns a 2006 Dodge Charger. The contact stated that after turning the key in the ignition, he heard a loud abnormal noise. The contact inspected the vehicle and saw that the battery had exploded without warning. The contact unhooked the faulty battery and replaced it with a new one. The vehicle was not inspected by a dealer or an independent mechanic. The manufacturer was not contacted. The failure and current mileages were approximately 105,000.

- Corona, CA, USA

Oct 302012

Charger 8-cyl

While driving in traffic at 55 mph engine would shut off and restart without turning the key. Took to dealership could not find anything. While driving off the lot vehicle stalled and started back up again without turning the key. Dealership had it for two weeks. Felt that after market starter was causing the issue. Doing it again 3 months later while driving would shut off but now you must pull over and physically turn the key to restart. Will do it at any speed.

- Racine, WI, USA