2006 Dodge Charger engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Dodge Charger:

2006 Dodge Charger Owner Comments (Page 6 of 14)

Aug 012013

Charger 8-cyl

This car stalls for the first 20-30 miles after filling the gas tank. It stalls in the middle of intersections, while idling, when cruising at highway speeds, etc...

- Gahanna, OH, USA

Aug 122014

Charger 8-cyl

I am the original owner of this vehicle, and have regularly maintained it and performed all the scheduled maintenance at the manufacturer's suggested intervals. The vehicle operated normally, with no indications of any issues. On 8/12/14, I went to start my vehicle and it made a horrendous banging noise before immediately shutting down. I had to have the car towed home (as I was thirty miles away) and discovered the engine valve in piston #2 had broken and shattered, causing an engine failure, with the only repair being a complete engine rebuild or replacement. A check on-line showed this is a common and recurring issue with this model and engine type (2006 Dodge Charger R/T). I reported the issue to Dodge, and was told there are no known issues with the engine of valves, however the Dodge technician at the dealership said it is a common problem and should have been recalled. The evidence to this is the engine parts needed to fix this (block, valves, etc.) are on a 2 to 6 month back-order. Please help! I can not afford to basically pay for a new car for a known issue that should have been prevented by the manufacturer.

- Nutley, NJ, USA

Jun 182014

Charger

I was driving on the main road going around 45 mph. Then my car stalls in the middle of the road as if I wasn't in drive. I continue to push the gas and make I was in drive and nothing happened. I tried to pull of the road but my car would not move. As I put the car in park the car continue to roll. I had to sit with my foot on the break until the tow truck came to tow my car. Had my car worked on paid $1500 dollars and I'm still having the same problem the car want go in gear or it just stalls. So far I have had my car towed 6 times since June.

- Knoxville, TN, USA

May 092013

Charger

The contact owns a 2006 Dodge Charger. The contact stated while driving 60 mph the vehicle stalled. All of the warning lights illuminated on the instrument panel and there was a beeping noise that sounded throughout the vehicle. The vehicle was pushed to the side of the road. The vehicle was turned off for an hour and when it was restarted it began to function normally. The failure recurred within ten minutes. The failure occurred on a regular basis. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. There were no diagnostic test performed nor was the vehicle repaired. The failure mileage was 87,000.

- Chester, PA, USA

Jul 262014

Charger 6-cyl

I bought my 2006 Dodge Charger 3.5L V6 new in May 2006. I absolutely loved this car until summer of 2009 just after my warranty expired, my gear shifter stuck in the park position and had to have it towed. I called Dodge to see if there was a recall on this problem after reading about so many other people that had same issue. Was told no, I paid to have it fixed somewhere around $450-500. On Monday I had to have my car towed because it broke down on my way home from work. It sounded like the car was going to explode like in a cartoon. It was making knocking noises and sounded like a diesel truck. Mechanic told me that my engine was shot. How could this be? my car has 67,716 miles on it!!! very low mileage for a 2006 vehicle. Called Dodge and asked if there was a recall on the engine problem. I read of many, many other people having this same issue. No recall, but if I can have it towed to an approved Dodge dealer and get a diagnosis from their mechanic, call back. I was given a claim # from Dodge hq. I have an insurance adjuster going out tomorrow morning to assess the damage and the problem. I am furious! I spent a lot of money on this car and it should last more than 67K miles! update from Aug 5, 2014 update: 8/5/14 insurance told me that it is a known common issue with the Dodge Charger and because of this, there are not many recycled engines available or if they are found, it might have same issue as mine did. Adjuster said that it was a pressure leak that only happens while driving causing the filter to expand and oil to leak. My engine is beyond repair! I called Dodge hq again and was told that there are no recalls on my vehicle after checking my VIN#. also told me they will not help me. They told me I can file a complaint with NHTSA. Meanwhile I am taking the bus. Not a happy camper!

- Las Vegas, NV, USA

Jul 032014

Charger 8-cyl

I have experienced a number of incidents where the vehicle while moving at a slow speed (typically in city traffic) the vehicle will jerk forward and the engine light will ding. Sometimes the car will push through and keep moving other times it will stall completely and need to be restarted. This has been incredibly dangerous as it has happened getting on highways from on ramps. Once I restart the car all seems to be fine but its completely unpredictable and very dangerous!

- Denver, CO, USA

Nov 212013

Charger 8-cyl

Engine overheated, immediately shut off and, I now need a new engine. There were recalls for some of the engine cooling fans in my car year and model (06 Dodge Charger), but I am being told that it does not apply to me.

- Cordele, GA, USA

Jun 112014

Charger

I was driving out of the gas station and the car started to stall do to a problem with the gas tank. The car would shake forward and back very hard then the engine would race almost to redline then the car would stall. It did this three times but on the third time I heard what sounded like medal hitting medal. The third time I tried to start the car and heard this loud ticking sound. I cut the car off and back on and the sound was still there. I had the car towed to the dealership and they took apart my engine to find out what the issue was. I was told that I had a rod bearing issue and my engine needed to be replaced. This is going to cost me $6300. I don't believe this is fair due to the repeated engine stalling and jumping is what caused my issue in the first place. The dealership originally told me that the stalling and jumping is the cause of my issue and because there is a warranty on the gas tank they would replace any damage that it caused. After requesting the funds from Chrysler Corp. The dealership stated my issue could not be caused by the jumping and stalling. I question their honesty. I called Dodge and was told that they refuse to cover any damage to my vehicle due to the mileage and it cannot be proven what caused my issue even though they told me that the repeated jumping and stalling could cause this to happen.

- Prince George , VA, USA

Jul 022014

Charger 8-cyl

In May 2014 I recieved a letter from Chrysler in regards to the faulty fuel tank in my 2006 Dodge Charger rt. They wrote to let me know that they are aware of a faulty fuel shut-off float in my gas tank that will cause the vehicle to stall. I called to schedule the repair and was told that Chrysler is only sending out one fuel tank per dealership per week and that I was 7th in line to have my work performed. So that meant that I would have to drive a vehicle that was continually cutting off for 2 months even before they would fix it. I called Chrysler to inquire why it would take so long to fix a problem that they know is causing numerous vehicles to cut off and they said that the parts are on backorder. I indicated to them that I had come close to having numerous accidents because my vehicle was stalling in traffic and yet they didnt seem to care one iota. After waiting 2 months for my time in line to come around I called the dealership to see when the work would be able to be done and was told that I was next in line but the part was still on backorder and could not have my vehicle fixed yet. They could not give me an estimate as to when they would be able to get the parts in. I find it very hard to fathom that a major automaker such as Chrysler/Dodge, knowing about a problem with their vehicles that are causing them to shut off in traffic and are not expediting the process of having those vehicles fixed. I have been very lucky thus far by not having a very serious accident due to my car stalling but I fear that someone else may not be so lucky and that someone is going to be seriously hurt. There are numerous vehicles like mine on the road with the same problem and its a shame that someone has to risk serious injury due to Chrysler's inability to do whats right.

- Richmond, VA, USA

Jun 132014

Charger 6-cyl

We purchased a 2006 Dodge Charger 3.5L from a local dealership with around 63,000 miles. They filled the tank up before we left. Other than the customary lap around town with the "new" car, I didn't drive it for two days. I drove the car 70 miles to another town for an appointment with no issues. When I went to leave my appointment, I started the car and attempted to back out of my parking spot. The car died as soon as I placed it in reverse. I put the car back in park, restarted and tried to shift to reverse again. The car died again and the check engine light was on. I attempted the same process again and it died yet again. I thought of revving the engine while reversing to get the car to move, but I didn't do it because of safety issues. I was blindly backing into a street and didn't want to get involved in an accident. My brother happens to work in the same town I was in. He came to help. I stood in the street to block traffic. He revved up the engine (two footed the brake and gas) and managed to back it into the street. The check engine light was still on. I two footed the car the 70 miles back to the dealership I had purchased it from. The dealership I purchased the car from sent it to a Dodge dealership. The dealership says that there is nothing wrong with my car and that they couldn't replicate the engine dying. They stated that I was driving with the parking/emergency brake on. I never use my parking brake (all my cars have been automatics). My parking brake was not on at any time. My brother stated the parking brake was not on. This is a major safety issue and I am not satisfied with how the dealership handled it. I could not drive my car out of a parking space. What if it had died in the road when I had to stop at lights or for other vehicles turning in front of me? I found similar complaints from other Dodge owners online. See investigation PE 13-016.

- Paducah, KY, USA

May 262014

Charger 8-cyl

After filling up my gas tank, I drove down the road for approximately 3 miles. When I stopped at a light, the car began running very sluggish and then stalled. Check engine and oil light popped on. I immediately turned the key to off and sat at the red light for a minute. I turned the key on and the engine started back up and I was able to put into drive and proceed to my destination. It has not happened again since however I realize this is a growing and common problem with other 2006 Dodge Chargers.

- Palm Harbor, FL, USA

Mar 012013

Charger 8-cyl

Car stalls out at low speeds or when at light. Consistent with other problems raised concerning these vehicles.

- Longwood, FL, USA

Jun 052014

Charger 8-cyl

Driving my 2006 Charger daytona with my toddler from lunch, going to get gas, and then go home. My Charger engine died while driving. It started but sounded different. I pushed into a parking lot. I thought maybe I ran out of gas. But no gas light was on just an engine light & a lightning bolt now. I put a couple of gallons of gas just to be sure. I started the car. The engine sounded like a rattling and died out again. I left the key in the on to make sure fuel got to the injectors. Started again very briefly same noise then it never started again. Towed it home. Lifted the plastic engine cover found a large hole and three inner engine parts (one was a spring, possible parts to a rod) that had blown out of the hole. I keep my Charger up to date with care and maintenance. I had no performance issues or warning lights prior to this happening. I called the dealer and the service center told me he has never heard of such thing, he wasn't a "tech", and whoever did my last oil change "probably didn't do it right".

- Chula Vista, CA, USA

May 242014

Charger

I filled up with gas, pulled out of the gas station onto the expressway on ramp and the engine died. I rolled to the shoulder and after about 10 minutes it would finally start. It stalled a few more times then finally it would run long enough to get me home.

- Loveland, OH, USA

May 152014

Charger 6-cyl

2006 Dodge Charger stalled during rush hour stop and go traffic. Vehicle totally shut down. I put vehicle in neutral and it started right up. A definite safety concern.

- Newark, NJ, USA

Apr 032014

Charger 8-cyl

I had just finish filling up my car with gasoline and was driving through the sub division. My car shut off at the stop sign. This has happened on several occasion in the past year after filling up my car. On this day I step on the gas tried restarting my car and it would not start. When I took it to the repair shop I was took that my engine through a piston on the number 3 and 5 and I need a new engine. No one was able to tell me why that would happen. When I explain what was going on with the fuel system I was told that may because the car was running and it was not getting fuel and it through the pistons.

- Rex, HI, USA

Apr 042014

Charger 8-cyl

While driving on freeway, car died. Was able to start it back up again. Gas tank only 1/8 full. Got off freeway. Car continued to just shut off while driving on the streets, leaving me stuck in the intersection several times.

- Ontario, CA, USA

Nov 302012

Charger

In the 2006 Dodge Charger R/T the car will completely turn off if the gas is full or close to full. This is a well known issue with the R/T model. Dodge has known of this issue for years and also the dealerships. After filling the tank the vehicle will turn off in turn losing power steering brakes and engine power even while your foot is on the gas pedal. I have almost gotten into accidents due to this. I took my vehicle to the Dodge dealerships and was told that this is a known problem and Dodge refuses to call a recall.

- Prince George, VA, USA

May 092014

Charger

After filling up my car with gas, I pulled out of the gas station and as I was coming to a stop at a traffic light the car started to jerk as if was going to shut off. This is the 3rd time I have had this issue.

- Lithonia, GA, USA

Apr 182014

Charger 8-cyl

The engine died just after fuel fill-up when I was leaving the lot and getting onto the street. While filling the tank, the pump stopped as if the tank was full, but when I got in the car after fill-up, the gas gauge read only 3/4 full. When the engine died, there was traffic behind me and traffic ahead. I could have been in an accident or caused one. I shifted to neutral, and coasted and re-started the car. This is completely unacceptable. It is dangerous for me, for my family, for my wife when she is driving, as well as the motorists around me.

- Phoenix, AZ, USA