2006 Dodge Charger engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Dodge Charger:

2006 Dodge Charger Owner Comments (Page 6 of 14)

Jul 022014

Charger 8-cyl

In May 2014 I recieved a letter from Chrysler in regards to the faulty fuel tank in my 2006 Dodge Charger rt. They wrote to let me know that they are aware of a faulty fuel shut-off float in my gas tank that will cause the vehicle to stall. I called to schedule the repair and was told that Chrysler is only sending out one fuel tank per dealership per week and that I was 7th in line to have my work performed. So that meant that I would have to drive a vehicle that was continually cutting off for 2 months even before they would fix it. I called Chrysler to inquire why it would take so long to fix a problem that they know is causing numerous vehicles to cut off and they said that the parts are on backorder. I indicated to them that I had come close to having numerous accidents because my vehicle was stalling in traffic and yet they didnt seem to care one iota. After waiting 2 months for my time in line to come around I called the dealership to see when the work would be able to be done and was told that I was next in line but the part was still on backorder and could not have my vehicle fixed yet. They could not give me an estimate as to when they would be able to get the parts in. I find it very hard to fathom that a major automaker such as Chrysler/Dodge, knowing about a problem with their vehicles that are causing them to shut off in traffic and are not expediting the process of having those vehicles fixed. I have been very lucky thus far by not having a very serious accident due to my car stalling but I fear that someone else may not be so lucky and that someone is going to be seriously hurt. There are numerous vehicles like mine on the road with the same problem and its a shame that someone has to risk serious injury due to Chrysler's inability to do whats right.

- Richmond, VA, USA

Jun 132014

Charger 6-cyl

We purchased a 2006 Dodge Charger 3.5L from a local dealership with around 63,000 miles. They filled the tank up before we left. Other than the customary lap around town with the "new" car, I didn't drive it for two days. I drove the car 70 miles to another town for an appointment with no issues. When I went to leave my appointment, I started the car and attempted to back out of my parking spot. The car died as soon as I placed it in reverse. I put the car back in park, restarted and tried to shift to reverse again. The car died again and the check engine light was on. I attempted the same process again and it died yet again. I thought of revving the engine while reversing to get the car to move, but I didn't do it because of safety issues. I was blindly backing into a street and didn't want to get involved in an accident. My brother happens to work in the same town I was in. He came to help. I stood in the street to block traffic. He revved up the engine (two footed the brake and gas) and managed to back it into the street. The check engine light was still on. I two footed the car the 70 miles back to the dealership I had purchased it from. The dealership I purchased the car from sent it to a Dodge dealership. The dealership says that there is nothing wrong with my car and that they couldn't replicate the engine dying. They stated that I was driving with the parking/emergency brake on. I never use my parking brake (all my cars have been automatics). My parking brake was not on at any time. My brother stated the parking brake was not on. This is a major safety issue and I am not satisfied with how the dealership handled it. I could not drive my car out of a parking space. What if it had died in the road when I had to stop at lights or for other vehicles turning in front of me? I found similar complaints from other Dodge owners online. See investigation PE 13-016.

- Paducah, KY, USA

May 262014

Charger 8-cyl

After filling up my gas tank, I drove down the road for approximately 3 miles. When I stopped at a light, the car began running very sluggish and then stalled. Check engine and oil light popped on. I immediately turned the key to off and sat at the red light for a minute. I turned the key on and the engine started back up and I was able to put into drive and proceed to my destination. It has not happened again since however I realize this is a growing and common problem with other 2006 Dodge Chargers.

- Palm Harbor, FL, USA

Mar 012013

Charger 8-cyl

Car stalls out at low speeds or when at light. Consistent with other problems raised concerning these vehicles.

- Longwood, FL, USA

Jun 052014

Charger 8-cyl

Driving my 2006 Charger daytona with my toddler from lunch, going to get gas, and then go home. My Charger engine died while driving. It started but sounded different. I pushed into a parking lot. I thought maybe I ran out of gas. But no gas light was on just an engine light & a lightning bolt now. I put a couple of gallons of gas just to be sure. I started the car. The engine sounded like a rattling and died out again. I left the key in the on to make sure fuel got to the injectors. Started again very briefly same noise then it never started again. Towed it home. Lifted the plastic engine cover found a large hole and three inner engine parts (one was a spring, possible parts to a rod) that had blown out of the hole. I keep my Charger up to date with care and maintenance. I had no performance issues or warning lights prior to this happening. I called the dealer and the service center told me he has never heard of such thing, he wasn't a "tech", and whoever did my last oil change "probably didn't do it right".

- Chula Vista, CA, USA

May 242014

I filled up with gas, pulled out of the gas station onto the expressway on ramp and the engine died. I rolled to the shoulder and after about 10 minutes it would finally start. It stalled a few more times then finally it would run long enough to get me home.

- Loveland, OH, USA

May 152014

Charger 6-cyl

2006 Dodge Charger stalled during rush hour stop and go traffic. Vehicle totally shut down. I put vehicle in neutral and it started right up. A definite safety concern.

- Newark, NJ, USA

Apr 032014

Charger 8-cyl

I had just finish filling up my car with gasoline and was driving through the sub division. My car shut off at the stop sign. This has happened on several occasion in the past year after filling up my car. On this day I step on the gas tried restarting my car and it would not start. When I took it to the repair shop I was took that my engine through a piston on the number 3 and 5 and I need a new engine. No one was able to tell me why that would happen. When I explain what was going on with the fuel system I was told that may because the car was running and it was not getting fuel and it through the pistons.

- Rex, HI, USA

Apr 042014

Charger 8-cyl

While driving on freeway, car died. Was able to start it back up again. Gas tank only 1/8 full. Got off freeway. Car continued to just shut off while driving on the streets, leaving me stuck in the intersection several times.

- Ontario, CA, USA

Nov 302012

In the 2006 Dodge Charger R/T the car will completely turn off if the gas is full or close to full. This is a well known issue with the R/T model. Dodge has known of this issue for years and also the dealerships. After filling the tank the vehicle will turn off in turn losing power steering brakes and engine power even while your foot is on the gas pedal. I have almost gotten into accidents due to this. I took my vehicle to the Dodge dealerships and was told that this is a known problem and Dodge refuses to call a recall.

- Prince George, VA, USA

May 092014

After filling up my car with gas, I pulled out of the gas station and as I was coming to a stop at a traffic light the car started to jerk as if was going to shut off. This is the 3rd time I have had this issue.

- Lithonia, GA, USA

Apr 182014

Charger 8-cyl

The engine died just after fuel fill-up when I was leaving the lot and getting onto the street. While filling the tank, the pump stopped as if the tank was full, but when I got in the car after fill-up, the gas gauge read only 3/4 full. When the engine died, there was traffic behind me and traffic ahead. I could have been in an accident or caused one. I shifted to neutral, and coasted and re-started the car. This is completely unacceptable. It is dangerous for me, for my family, for my wife when she is driving, as well as the motorists around me.

- Phoenix, AZ, USA

Jul 102012

The contact owns a 2006 Dodge Charger. The contact stated that after replacing the battery, the vehicle continuously stalled with the illumination of the throttle warning light. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where the technician was unable to find a failure. The manufacture was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 110,000 and the current mileage was 140,000.

- Bryson City, NC, USA

May 022014

I have had an issue with my car stalling and it seems there are many others with the same issue. The fact that this is not being looked at as a safety concern is beyond me. Just because you don't reach 90mph when it stalls does not mean accidents will not occur. If I am turning into a street and traffic is coming in my direction and I stall should I just "restart" my vehicle in hopes that someone doesn't T-bone me? sounds like a bad plot to the start of a movie. Just do the right thing here and fix this world wide issue and let us move on with our muscular cars!

- Jacksonville, FL, USA

Apr 012014

2006 Dodge Charger. Consumer writes in regards to engine had to be replaced. The consumer stated it cost $6,000 to have the engine replaced.

- Sacramento, CA, USA

Apr 232014

Charger 8-cyl

Right after leaving the gas station from filling up my cars' gas tank my engine stalled when I came to a stop on a very busy intersection. I was able to start it again but it turned off on me again, repeated the process twice until the light changed and I was able to make it home. Drove around my neighborhood making multiple stops to see it if happened again in which the engine only turned off once more.

- Kansas City, KS, USA

Mar 242014

Charger 8-cyl

While driving on the interstate after work my vehicle stalled out and I lost control. I had to strong arm the steering wheel to get the vehicle to veer onto the emergency shoulder lane. Vehicles behind me slammed on their brakes and honked their horns trying to avoid hitting my vehicle. Prior to the event I filled my gas tank. After giving the vehicle a few minutes I tried to turn the ignition. After several tries the vehicle started. I was unable to accelerate over 35 mph and the vehicle shook and stalled the entire ride home. That was 3 weeks ago and the issue has worsened. My vehicle is stalling in mid-sections. It's shaking and along with the fuel light the engine light continuously dings. My code reads engine misfiring and fuel valve failures. The dealership was unable to pinpoint the issue and told me to research the issue under I have almost caused several accidents and I do have a small child I must Transport in this vehicle as well. It should not take a fatality for this issue to be resolved by the parties responsible.

- Columbus, OH, USA

Jun 142012

Charger 8-cyl

This issue relates to PE13-016. My 2006 Dodge Charger fuel tank cannot be filled to over 3/4 capacity. When it is filled beyond this level, the engine will stall, particularly after making a LH turn. I have been enduring this problem for years and have become fairly adept at re-starting my car in heavy traffic conditions and fortunately have not been involved in any collisions as a result. I understand Chrysler negotiated a settlement with NHTSA to treat this as an extended warranty condition before a full blown recall order was issued. However, even though Chrysler acknowledges that being a 2006 Charger with a 5.7L engine matches all the criteria to be included in the extended warranty, my vehicle's VIN is not included on the list of effected vehicles and refuses to correct the problem. There is obvious culpability and Chrysler's part and they appear to be hiding behind an administrative technicality to avoid doing what they agreed to do in their settlement of PE13-016 with NHTSA.

- Sgarpsburg, GA, USA

Jun 122013

Charger 8-cyl

After filling with gas the engine stalled and died. It has continued to do this every time the tank is filled.

- Lawrenceville, GA, USA

Nov 062013

Vehicle stopped after filling with gas. Started up again and shut down right away. This happens frequently after filling up with gas. Could only put in one incident but this is an on going issue. It appears there is an agreement in hand for correction why isn't it published?

- Windsor, VT, USA