2006 Dodge Charger engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Dodge Charger:

2006 Dodge Charger Owner Comments (Page 9 of 14)

Jan 112014

Charger 8-cyl

2006 Dodge srt8 6.1 repeatedly stalls after filling with gasoline. Vehicle is difficult to start after. Car sputters at speed for first 30 miles on full tank.

- New Port Richey , FL, USA

Oct 042013

1st incident: On October 4, 2013, my car stalled coming to a stop at a red light less than an 1/8th of a mile after leaving a gas station after a fill up. After 3 attempts to start engine, it started up. 1/2 a mile away, the engine dies at the next red light stop. 3-4 attempts to start car, it started. Car ran rough/sputtered on my way to my house 1.5 miles away. 2nd incident: On January 10, 2014, my car stalled coming to a stop at a red light 1 mile away from a gas station after filling up. After 4 attempts to start car, the engine fired up. Car ran rough/sputtered for next 2-3 miles.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Oct 302013

Charger 8-cyl

My car stalled less than 1 mile after pulling out of a gas station after filling up with gas. It took several tries to restart before successfully able to drive again. I thought bad gas. But it now happens every time after I fill my tank full of gas. My car's rpms will sputter for the first couple miles after filling up with gas. It also stalls every time driving within the first 2 miles of filling up with gas. It is very scary driving with my family in the car and fearing that my car will stall in the middle of an intersection and cause a major accident. There is no check engine light or diagnostic codes for this. Just the oil light comes on and the engine dies, power steering fails, and ABS are not working.

- Kennesaw, GA, USA

Dec 202013

The contact owns a 2006 Dodge Charger. The contact stated that she was driving approximately 55 mph when the check engine sensor light illuminated and the vehicle suddenly stalled. The vehicle was diagnosed by the dealer but the cause of the problem was not determined. The manufacturer was not notified. The failure mileage was 82,729.

- Brooklyn, NY, USA

Oct 032013

Charger 8-cyl

On or about 03 October 2013, the engine (5.7L hemi) stalled going at 30-35 mph. The engine service light came on, but disappeared when I restarted the engine. Since that day, I have experienced multiple engine stall incidents (about 10 times) usually at a traffic stop being idle or approaching a stop, and during reverse. In November, while cruising on a highway, the engine acted as if to stall again with all the lights and chiming on the evic on and off, but did not stall probably due to the momentum or inertia. At that time, I had my entire family (size of four) with me in the vehicle and feared for their safety. I went to multiple Chrysler dealers and service centers, but could not prevent the problem from reoccuring again. It appears from my online research and reading other complaints on NHTSA website that the symptoms I am experiencing are probably consistent with the faulty sensor in the fuel tank.

- Apo, AP, USA

Nov 042013

Charger 8-cyl

My vehicle shuts off at random times. While I am sitting at a red light it will shut off or while I am waiting for the car to warm up. When I take off the engine will shut off for a brief second. The engine starts up and the car will jerk forward. Sometimes when the vehicle shuts off it wont go back into gear and some of the gauges flash. I was left in the middle of an intersection twice when the vehicle shut off. I have taken the vehicle to transmission shops and dealerships and they can't tell me what is wrong with the vehicle.

- Wade, NC, USA

Dec 292013

Charger 8-cyl

This is not the first time this has happened and this is flat out dangerous! after driving all day I was almost out of gas so I stopped at one of my regularly used gas stations. As like I always do when I get gas I got a full tank and I do not overfill, once the handle pops I'm done pumping. Vehicle started fine and I drove off the gas station with no problems. Once on the main road I approached my first turn and in mid turn going about 20mph my vehicle just stalled, no warning or nothing it just randomly stalled. Once the car rolled off the main street I put it in park and tried to start it up again. No luck, the vehicle wouldn't start. It took a few tries but managed to get it running again. To my surprise I didn't have a check engine light so I sat there for a while revving the engine and even shut it off and restarted it, everything seemed fine so I went on my way. Shortly after I drove off it happened again and this time I was just driving straight. From the gas station to my home is about 10min and in that short time frame the vehicle randomly stalled 4 times! this went on for a few days until my fuel lvl was about 3/4 full? after researching online on Dodge forums I was able to find out what may and most likely be the issue with my vehicle. Some say its a collapsed gas tank which affects a check valve in the gas tank that is for the evap system. When you have a full tank and the system opens up to release gas vapors back into the engine it's actually sending raw fuel back into the engine which in turn floods the vehicle and causes the stall. Of course this part can't be replaced or fixed since the tank and those parts are sold as one piece which is big $$$! my only fix for this until this is recalled is I don't get a full tank anymore. This is a serious and dangerous issue which should be recalled immediately before someone gets into a serious accident.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Aug 302013

Charger 6-cyl

My car from work like any normal night when all of sudden my car shut off and would not start back up. Eventually I called my insurance to have it towed home since after 11pm. The next morning I have my car towed to Dodge to be informed that engine had blown. My car gave me no indication or signs at all before this happen. The dealership informed me that the engine was blown due oil sludge. I very angry especially since Dodge only changed my oil and was not told about this earlier. My cousin has Dodge Charger as well and engine blown 8 months before mine for the same reason. When I told this to the dealership they told me I shouldn't believe everything I hear. I will never buy a car from Dodge again.

- Miramar, FL, USA

Dec 152013

Charger 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Dodge Charger. The contact stated that the vehicle would stall after refueling. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnostic testing. The contact was advised that the fuel tank valve was damaged and the fuel tank would need to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure and current mileage was 84,000. Updated 02/06/14

- East Hartford , CT, USA

Nov 062013

Charger 8-cyl

Car stalls and dies when attempting to accelerate. Has occurred multiple times, and each incident happens right after filling the tank with gasoline.

- Fort Wayne, IN, USA

Oct 112013

Charger 8-cyl

After filling up gas tank, without over filling by rounding off, the car will stall out within 1/4 mile of running. It takes time cranking engine to start, then will buck and stall occasionally until it is driven at least 2-3 miles. All power steering and brakes are lost at this time as well.

- Pembroke, NH, USA

Dec 172013

Charger 8-cyl

Vehicle stalled multiple times while coming to a stop. Hard to start after stalling. Just filled the gas tank, and car stalled two or three times getting from the gas station to home. Car stalled the next morning three times, again hard to start.

- Union City, CA, USA

Dec 162013

The car stalled a number of times in traffic. I had just filled the tank.

- Beltsville, MH, USA

Nov 082012

After refueling engine stumbles and then stalls. This happens every time after refueling. Often multiple times. Power steering and brakes are inoperable after stall.this is an alarming and dangerous situation.

- Chickamauga, GA, USA

Nov 182013

Charger 8-cyl

My 2006 Dodge Charger stalled on multiple occasions without any warning. Usually when I fill the gas tank. The car just stops in the middle of the road. I can restart the car but it will happen atleast 5 or 6 more times after. I use the book recommended level of gas at two different reputable gas stations, with the thought that it was bad gas. I dropped off my car to my local Dodge dealership and it cost me $130.35 for them to just look for the problem. They said that it is the "roll over valve" and it would cost over $1200 to fix!

- Nesconset , NY, USA

Nov 242013

Charger 8-cyl

I gassed up, and then drove off. When slowing down for a stop light, my car's oil light came on and stalled out. It restarted, but then shut off again. I was able to re-start and then travel 35 miles each way visiting family. This happened again on December 3rd after gassing up, it shut down on me when I got to work in the morning, then stalled again on the way home. Then again yesterday, Dec. 4th 2013 when I got to work, I backed into my parking spot, and it shut down. Then leaving for the day, I was going down the parking garage about to exit, and it shut off before I could leave my building. I then drove it around the block, and it shut down again, and I had a hard time starting it. It finally started, and I headed home, and it stalled in traffic again, not even 10 minutes later. I was able to start it, and make it home. And it's sitting at home today, December 5th, 2013.

- Austin, TX, USA

Sep 122013

Charger 8-cyl

This has happened multiple times and seems to be increasing in frequency. When at idle, for example at a traffic light or in stop-and-go traffic, the engine has stalled. This happened again last night as well as this morning and it has me concerned. I have read that others complain of this happening with a full tank but that is not true for me. I never have over-filled the tank and even with it being a little over 1/2 full currently and it has stalled twice. I've found the active investigation (PE13016) and would like to be added to that group please. Please let me know what else I can provide to help with this investigation and possible resolutions. Thanks!

- Redmond, WA, USA

Dec 022013

Fueled the car, car stalled several times while driving. Happens each time car is fueled. I have tried fueling slowly, and fueling small amounts, nothing works. Car will stall 2-3 times either while sitting or while driving.

- Hardin, IL, USA

Dec 202011

Charger 8-cyl

5.7L hemi engine. For the past 2 yrs, engine will stall after filling-up the gas tank. This doesn't happen after every fill-up, but occurs at random fill-up intervals. The engine will stall multiple times until it's burned off approximately 1 gallon of gas, then operates normally. Stalling mostly occurs when vehicle comes to a stop. However, I've had several instances when the stall occurred on the highway at 60 mph.

- North Babylon, NY, USA

Oct 302013

Charger 8-cyl

On 10/30/13 at approx 9:30am I refueled my '06 Dodge Charger 5.7L hemi rt/daytona edition @the gas station w/89-octane fuel. As I pulled out of the station @under 15mph, my car stalled-engine died, oil light & bell appeared, & steering locked up. It took 2-attempts the 1st time to restart it w/ it acting like the engine had flooded. I drove approx. 2-blocks & it again stalled (including all of the above) as I was slowing for a stoplight. It took 2-3 attempts to restart. I drove approx 1-1/2blocks, including a slight incline, to a stoplight where it again stalled, though this time immediately restarted. After driving 3-blocks more, as I slowed for a stoplight it again began to sputter & buck as though going to stall; I cont'd to brake but maintained pressure on the accelerator attempting to maintain rpms & oil pressure; however as I turned the corner it again stalled & took 4-attempts to restart. After sitting for 15mins I had no other issues this date. Today(11/25/13) I refueled & experienced the sputtering, bucking, stalling, engine dying, oil light, zero oil psi, etc w/ 10-full stalls(engine failure episodes) in less than 20-mins. After allowing it to sit for 2+ hours the engine didn't fully die but did buck several times on the drive home. There was at least 1 add'L day between 10/30/13 & 11/25/13 that I experienced the same problems. All stalls have happened at 35mph or less. Prior to the problems after refueling, I was having problems filling the gas tank. I attempted to refuel the car & the auto pump shutoff engaged after less than 1/2-gal entering the tank; the auto pump shutoff would engage 3-5xs per refuel & required multiple readjustments of the pump nozzle to fill my gas tank. I haven't had the car in for diagnostics B/C of the neg reports on the forums indicating diagnostics show no discernible problems. Sounds like tsb#1803015 to me.

- Kankakee, IL, USA