2006 Dodge Charger engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Dodge Charger:

2006 Dodge Charger Owner Comments (Page 1 of 15)

Jan 102017

Charger

My 2006 Dodge Charger completely died on me while driving at 40 mph. Luckily I was alone on a city road but lost all control and felt I was barley braking and steering was near impossible. I was able turn everything off in the car and restart but it happened 3 other times within 2 miles. At one point while turning left on a highway it died; I was almost to a point to hitting other cars turning left in same direction and others behind me. I was able to drive 4 miles today without incident however after researching this exact issue among other Charger owners I searched for a recall and nothing has been said by Dodge. This issue doesn┐T seem to be from personal actions but a flaw in a system on this make/model. It has happened to me twice before a few years ago however I read something about a gas cap and felt it was isolated. After last night and reading blogs today I see that this is a wide spread issue and not caused by not maintaining a vehicle or bad driving. This is an issue in design or manufacturing. Had this happened in any other driving setting during rush hour someone could be seriously injured or killed. I notified Dodge and reported the issue by they said I would not be contacted and to keep receipts if something was wrong in case they do recall something. Why hasn┐T this been corrected after all these reports for the same issue to this many of the same vehicles?

- Peachtree City, GA, USA

Jan 052016

Charger

Takata recall - I never received a notification that I had a recall on my airbags - I will be looking into this shortly -- also, and more importantly, my engine stalls after I refuel -- there is no recall on this issue but apparently it happens a lot as I did see that there was an inquiry into this -- this just started to happen to my car in the last 2 years and so therefore it is out of warranty.

- Metairie, LA, USA

Nov 012016

Charger

My 2006 Dodge Charger keep stalling while driving. I was sitting at a light getting to ready to turn and the car stopped in the middle of the turn. Thankful it was a turn signal or I would have been hit. Also the engine light come on and the car just stalls then - you can wait about 5 min. And it will start back up. Upon doing my research I am unsure to why their has not been a recall. I was on the highway and it starts to stall then I hit the gas and it keeps going.

- Saint Louis, MO, USA

Dec 272016

Charger

After filling up at a gas station, the car will stall out randomly at all speeds of travel. This is a huge safety issue that has sht down the car while merging onto freeway in front of semi-trucks only to have power steering and propulsion stop. Luckily truck was paying attention and honked and swerved around, while I rode off onto the shoulder. Then it restarted, ran for another minute and stalled again while trying to get back off the shoulder. I ended up letting it idle for 5 min before being able to merge successfully and get home. Online I have seen many people saying they have same or similar issues with their 2006 Dodge vehicles as well. Please help to get this resolved as this could have very well killed someone.

- Redding, CA, USA

Sep 012016

Charger

2006 Dodge charges with 5.7 hemi V8 - experiencing random stalling. Happens at any speed. Everything shuts off including the power steering and ABS. First happened while merging onto freeway and I had to drive off the road to avoid a semi-truck. This happened with my young child in the vehicle. I had the gas tank, fuel canister, and purge valve replaced. The problem still occurs regardless of the amount of gas in the vehicle and regardless of when it was refueled. Even though this appears to be a common problem the dealership has been no help and even tried charging me for unnecessary diagnostics. Car does not flash a code so after replacing what was supposed to fix the issue, driving the vehicle is the only way to find out if it is fixed. This has lead to a few dangerous close calls. Please look into this issue before people get hurt because this is a serious problem. Thank you, jeff allen

- Rohnert Park, CA, USA

Oct 192016

Charger

(dropped valve seat) I was on my way to lunch when I realized I left an item in my desk that was needed. I turned around and headed back to the office. I parked my car, ran back in to the office and returned to my vehicle within 5 minutes. When I tried to start my engine, it would not start. I ended up having to get the car towed to my local machine shop. My mechanic told me that a valve seat dropped and the engine needed replacement. My mechanic was quite knowledgeable about these kinds of problems. As he stated that it happened very often with Dodge hemi 5.7 engines. He stated that the valve seats were made of poor metal material. He also stated that Chrysler was very aware of the defect and what it can cause. I did my research online and found hundreds of threads with people that experienced the same problem. Needless to say, I had to buy a brand new engine and several other engine parts that failed due to this catastrophe. Not to mention major labor costs.

- Kissimmee, FL, USA

Oct 282016

Charger

As per Dodge/Chrysler mechanic, #4 cylinder valve seat dropped and internally destroyed my 5.7 hemi engine.

- Lemoore, CA, USA

Oct 082016

Charger

What can I say I have a bad hydraulic lifter from a bad valve seal that cause alot of other problems. I was stiffed $1415 from a Dodge dealership.

- Altus, OK, USA

Sep 152015

Charger

The contact owns a 2006 Dodge Charger. While driving at any speed, the contact heard a noise from the gear shifter without warning. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that oil leaked onto the valve. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure was not remedied. The failure mileage was approximately 76,000.

- Hemmingway, SC, USA

Oct 032016

Charger

My 2006 Dodge Charger rt stalls intermittently while I'm turning a corner on a city street or stopped at a red light. When it stalls, I do not have power steering. This is extremely dangerous because I could get hit. Sometimes it stalls more often after I fill up with gas. I do not overfill. I have been filing my gas tank the same way for 10 years and until October of 2016 it has never been a problem.

- Littleton, CO, USA

Nov 022016

Charger

Charger is stalling frequently. After filling up with gas. Stalled and went into some safe mode where it wouldn't go into second gear. Stalled on the highway, side roads and while making a turn. While making the turn it stalled in the middle of the intersection while a truck was coming at us. I had my son in the car and we were stranded in the road. We could have been killed!! I have read up on this and it seams to be a faulty sensor at the gas tank fill up. Why has this not been addressed? sounds like you are waiting for someone to get killed before doing anything. Great company!!!

- Frederick, MD, USA

Nov 152016

Charger

After filling up gas tank, vehicle will rapidly lose rpms and stall when stopped at lights or stop signs. I then put the vehicle in park and am able to restart it, but it will stall again while moving right after. This causes a loss of power steering which has almost caused me to crash multiple times. I only bought the car 12 days ago and it has done this multiple times. I have read the multiple other complaints, and have tried to fix the problem by replacing the PCM, but that did not work. Others have suggested replacing the gas tank because the stall could be caused by the vapor recovery system failing following refueling. I believe this issue is related to NHTSA action PE13016. The vehicle in its current condition is unsafe to drive as it will stall while moving and lose power steering. The problem first occurred on 11/7/16, and occurred again on 11/15/16, both times after I refueled. It will not occur if the gas is below 3/4 full. I replaced the PCM on 11/10/16, but that did not fix the problem.

- Arlington, VA, USA

Aug 012016

Charger 8-cyl

My 2006 Charger will stall and or jolt violently as soon as I leave the gas station, and it is only when I fill up my tank. After restarting the vehicle twice and driving a short while I do not have any problems, it only happens when I fill up my gas tank. I know that newer vehicle fuel tanks are designed not to be force filled due to the special evap system. I only fill the tank till the station pump nozzle clicks off, which is what I was told how to fill these newer vehicles. This problem has been going on for over several months, though I have not had any traffic accidents, I fear that this is an accident waiting to happen.

- Smiths Creek, MI, USA

Oct 302016

Charger 8-cyl

The car stalled while I was driving at about 50-55 mph. Everything went out. Eventually the car started. Now, when I stop at a stop light or stop sign it stalls out. I have not received a warning light and I have had the vehicle checked with a computer. There are no lights on the dash indicating there is a problem.

- Chesterfield Twp., MI, USA

Oct 162016

Charger

Engine knocks, won"T exceed 55 mph. Seems like a common problem that has yet to be addressed. To make matters worse the transmission is german and will cost $800 for the part alone, thanks Dodge.

- Columbia, SC, USA

Oct 132016

Charger

Car engine shuts down at highway speeds momentarily and back on a couple of times engine shut completely off had to pull over to the side of the road engine restarts no fault lights come on after searching the internet I find that this problem has been around for a while very dangerous if Dodge has addressed this problem I find no recalls it should be taken care of as soon as possible this has been going on for quite a while on my vehicle today being the latest episodes Thursday, October 13, 2016

- Thomaston, CT, USA

Sep 262016

Charger

The dodger Charger rt has been the worse vehicle I have ever paid for. My Charger is only at 80,000 miles and the Charger has been maintained properly. The transmission has issues with going over 50 mph and the engine now knocks. I am just siting here trying to figure out how a vehicle at 80,000 have this many issues.

- Unkown, NC, USA

Sep 202013

Charger

The contact owns a 2006 Dodge Charger. While driving 60 mph and attempting to increase speed, the accelerator pedal failed to respond when depressed. The vehicle began to decrease in speed and the check engine indicator illuminated. The failure recurred randomly. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where the failure could not be determined. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 80,000.

- Montgomery, IL, USA

Jul 022016

Charger

While pulling out from a stop light my engine began to miss and run bad.I pulled over and shut it off.after letting it sit for a few minutes I tried again, it wouldn't turn over so I had it towed to a shop, they tore it apart and informed me I had dropped the valve seat in cylinder 4, it destroyed the intake valve, mds solenoid and scratched the cylinder wall

- Mertztown, PA, USA

Jul 302016

Charger

I have a 2006 Dodge Charger that shuts off while driving. Vehicle has 97284 miles. I currently have the vehicle in for repair at phillips Chrysler Dodge Jeep in ocala fl. The PCM has been replaced but this issue still continues. Vehicle shuts off with out warning while driving.

- Ocala, FL, USA