1.9

2006 Dodge Charger engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Dodge Charger:

2006 Dodge Charger Owner Comments (Page 2 of 3)

Nov 192013

Charger 8-cyl

After filling up with gas this morning, as I accelerated away from the gas station the car began to buck and jerk. It smoothed out for a little while, then after accelerating away from the next stoplight it jerked and made a loud noise. This is heavy Suburban traffic, so very stop-and-go. The car began to stall, and only restart if I depress the accelerator all the way to the floor while starting. Go a little bit further, then buck and stall again. Very dangerous! I'm learning through online vehicle forums that this is a relatively common problem with this year/make/model vehicle's gas tank and the integral "roll-over" valve which is supposed to prevent liquid fuel from entering the engine, yet the manufacturer refuses to acknowledge a faulty design that is leading to potentially dangerous situations. Will it take accidents, fires and death to make it a higher priority?

- Cary, IL, USA

Apr 252013

Charger 8-cyl

After fueling up, I pulled out of the gas station and onto a main road. About 300yards from the gas station. I accelerated to approximately 40mph, in the middle of the intersection my car "dinged" the oil light came on and my engine shut down. I lost all ability to turn, or break. This is a very dangerous situation. I feared for my life. I originally thought it was because I let the fuel levels get too low, after, I realized if I fill up all the way, this always occurs. God forbid if I were to be entering on to a freeway at a higher rate of speed. Since this has happened to me 3+ times, I am very scared and nervous to drive my car. Something as to be done. Please, before someone gets killed because the gas tank and evap canister are screwy! I. ant get any dealership or mechanic to fix it without replacing the whole tank, ($$$$$$$).

- Port Aransas, TX, USA

Sep 012012

Charger 8-cyl

After fueling up/topping off to the first shut-off only, after pulling away from the gas pump, the car hesitated, stalled and failed to restart right away. It has been increasing this behavior from rarely to almost every time I fuel up - I am now at 171, *** miles. Last night I fueled up, drove about 300 yards and parked for the night. This morning the car failed to start. After about 6 attempts, I floored the accelerator while cranking and the car started. After pulling out of the parking lot where I was parked and onto the highway, he car sputtered/hesitated 4 times (kind of like a bucking Bronco) about 70 yards down the road, with traffic catching up to me and then it settled back to its normal self. About 3 weeks ago, while traveling through Tennessee, I fueled up, pulled into the street and approached a red light and I stopped at which time the car did its hesitation and stalled. I tried to start the car, but it would not start. I hit the 4-way flashers and I sat there for about 25 seconds before the car was able to be started again. I don't use cheap gas, I don't gas up at a station if I see a tanker truck filling the tanks (or pulling out of the station) and I stop filling after the initial shut-off of the pump. On a side note, since day one (Sep 2005), when gassing up, I have to rest the pump handle on the filler door, which ends up putting the pump handle upside down at about the 10 or 11 O'clock position depending on the padding of the handle. Any other position would cause the pump handle to click off almost immediately when trying to fill the tank. From what I have read on various Charger forums, I am not the only one that has had the above "problems". I am afraid one of these days this behavior will lead to an accident with somebody getting hurt or possibly even killed, either in a rear-end collision or a T-bone collision.

- Copperas Cove, TX, USA

Oct 072013

Charger 8-cyl

After filling the car with gas, and driving approximately 1 to 2 miles, the car stalled after making a left turn and starting to accelerate. I was able to restart the car and drive home. The next day the car acted like it was going to stall again after making a turn and starting to accelerate, but it didn't. this problem started in December of 2012 when the car had about 40000 miles on it. After researching the problem on the internet, I stopped topping off the gas tank and the problem did not re-occur until October 2013. I am concerned that the problem is getting worse and even if I don't fill the gas tank, the car will stall after driving it a few miles. Fortunately, every time the car stalled I was turning on to a quiet street with little traffic, but this is a very dangerous problem that requires a recall from Dodge.

- Austin, TX, USA

May 062012

Charger 8-cyl

First instance was on Sunday, 6 May 2012. Car stalled after turning onto city street while accelerating to posted speed: 35 mph. If fuel tank is filled to click on gas pump (full tank) this continues to happen, especially in very humid weather conditions/rain. Car has also stalled on hills at stop signs or traffic lights and has stalled at on-ramps to local interstate highway/city bypass, given the above full fuel tank issue. If I don't fill the tank above the 7/8 mark on the fuel gage indicator, the car does not stall. If I exceed the 7/8 mark, then the car does stall, multiple times if very humid conditions exist and will continue until the fuel tank is at or below 7/8 capacity. I've had approximately 22 stalls since Sunday 6 May 2012. It's inconvenient to have to guess when to stop the fuel pump at gas stations and very frightening to stall in traffic, especially at on-ramps to highways.

- Pikesville, MD, USA

Aug 062013

Charger 8-cyl

Stalling happens after fuel up. Stalling at high speeds while acceleration and while stopped at stop lights. Looses power instantly on freeway the kicks back in.

- Provo, UT, USA

Jul 142013

Charger 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Dodge Charger. The contact stated that while adjusting the driver's side seat, both the accelerator and the brake pedal traveled to the floorboard and caused the vehicle to have low acceleration power. The contact mentioned that both the brake and accelerator pedals would rise or fall simultaneously depending on the adjustment of the driver's seat. The contact stated that the vehicle was not taken to a dealer for diagnostic testing. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure and current mileage was 143,000.

- Pittsburg , TX, USA

Jun 172013

Charger 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Dodge Charger. The contact stated while traveling approximately 50 mph, the vehicle suddenly lost acceleration power. The vehicle was moved to the shoulder where it resumed normal function. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was found that the speed sensor had failed. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 94,900. Updated 8/26/13 the consumer stated prior to the repair, the vehicle lost speed and was taken to the dealer. However, the were unable to duplicate the problem..

- New Orleans, LA, USA

Jul 132013

Charger 8-cyl

After fill up of gas tank csr will start and drive normal for approx 1 mile then begin to stall out. This happens while gas pedal is being depressed and while braking. After driving the vehicle for approx 10 to 15 min the stalling stops. This happens after every gas fill up.

- Wappingers , NY, USA

Jan 102013

Charger 8-cyl

My car have mis fire cylinder 1 it shakes when it cold then after a while it goes away, transmission driving bad out of no where going only 30 miles the fastest in my car stuck in park.

- Miami, FL, USA

Dec 212012

Charger 8-cyl

After filling up my fuel tank up for the first time the car was hard to restart. Once the car started the she kept cutting out and even died twice. This happened while I was in traffic. Since that time every time I filled the tank I have the same issue. I have had to resort to only filling the car up to 3/4 tank to avoid this issue.

- Franklin, OH, USA

May 122013

Charger 8-cyl

After filling up the gas tank the car stalled out while driving. Its been happening for a long time now. This only accrues after filling up only.

- Sacramento, CA, USA

Aug 012012

Charger 8-cyl

The car will stall within a minute or so of filling up the gas tank. This has happened about 95% of the time I filled up the tank. If I feel the stall coming on I can throw it in neutral and rev the engine for about 10 seconds and it won't stall anymore. I first began to notice it at least 8 months ago. I stopped filling the tank all the way just to avoid this because it caused me to stall while going thru an intersection and backing up traffic. I was told I needed to buy a new gas tank to rectify this issue.

- Independence, MO, USA

Apr 152012

Charger 8-cyl

I pulled out on a major road and the gas pedal assembly broke off of the mounting bracket. I was in a spot where I couldn't pull over safely so I had to reach down and try to operate the throttle by hand while driving. Upon closer inspection, the plastic part of the gas pedal that holds the gas pedal to the mounting bracket broke off. This vehicle is equipped with the "pursuit" or law enforcement package.

- Oregon City , OR, USA

Mar 282011

Charger 6-cyl

Car would keep accelerating for a few seconds after removing foot from pedal. When it completely failed the car would rev to 4000 rpms in neutral without even touching the accelerator pedal. Put the car in drive when the rpms dropped and it just took off. Pedal appeared to be fine and where it was supposed to be. Had the car towed to the dealership and the pedal assembly was replaced. The tech duplicated the same problem I was experiencing.

- Vancouver, Bc-Canada, 00, USA

Feb 172011

Charger 8-cyl

On Feb. 17, 2011, I started to accelerate onto I-495 in Maryland. Hitting the accelerator for a fast take off, the accelerator broke off and the car went from 15 mph to 80 mph in 5 sec. I immediately put the car in neutral, got to the side of the road and applied the brakes. If there had been a another vehicle in front of me, I probably would not be making this post right now. So far, Chrysler of Dodge has done nothing. I did order a replacement accelerator assembly and made the repair. This could have been a fatality, if not for god and my own professional experience as a driver. Dodge should at the least pay for the parts and labor of this repair.

- Largo, MD, USA

Sep 102010

Charger

This morning I began to back out of the garage when the vehicle increased acceleration on its own, I was able to brake but I could feel the pressure of the acceleration against the brake. I stopped the car then proceeded to back out again, and it did the same thing. I then shifted it into drive and began moving forward. I live off of a dirt road so I usually like to drive very slow, sometimes coasting (the terrain is flat with no down or upgrade)but I usually have to tap the accelerator to keep it coasting. This morning it wanted to accelerate on its own going forward, and I had to repeatedly push the brakes. So this happened moving forward and backward. I don't want to drive it in fear of severe acceleration. Also, prior to this incident, I have recently felt like it was losing acceleration as I coasted, it feels slightly jerky, but I am driving on somewhat soft sand when this happens, only, it's never done that in the past. I haven't been too worried about this since it seems fine when I am driving above 10 mph. Have there been any reports of this nature?

- Hesperia, CA, USA

Aug 212009

Charger

Brakes have locked up X3. Vehicle almost skidded into the back of another vehicle @ 40mph. Afraid to drive vehicle. Had it checked out by dealership & repair shop, nothing wrong. Repair shop did note brake squeak and vehicle shaking even at low mph during test drive- he had just put new rotor and brake pads less than 3mnths ago! vehicle also has a noticeable 'kick' or 'jarring' when driving- even at 5-10mph in parking lot when accelerator pedal is not even pressed. I am very afraid to drive this car especially w/my child. This is my only vehicle and as a single mother and educator -safety, security, and reliability is important.

- Eustis, FL, USA

Feb 212008

Charger 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Dodge Charger. While driving approximately 35 mph on normal road conditions, the contact depressed the accelerator pedal. She immediately heard a beeping noise followed by excessive hesitation. In addition, there was an extremely low power response during acceleration. The failures occurred without warning. The vehicle resumed normal operation and was taken to an authorized dealer for inspection. The technician was unable to duplicate the failure. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer on five separate occasions for identical failures, but there were no resolutions. The failure mileage was 23,723 and current mileage was 39,000. Updated 06/09/09. The consumer stated while driving, the vehicle would shut off for no apparent reason. All of the gauges on the dashboard would just drop. The consumer took the vehicle to the dealer on several occassions, but to no avail. No error codes displayed on the computer. There was no check engine light. Updated 06/11/09.

- Miami, FL, USA

Jul 012007

Charger

1.multi cylinder misfires, resulting in the inability to accelerate, rough idle and engine failure. 2. approximately every 4 to 6 weeks and 3 times over the last 2 weeks. 3. service to the vehicle 10 times, replacing shift module, valve keepers, combustion chamber cleaning (twice), cam seal, rocker arm, both exh., rocker rails and pedestals.

- Jacksonville, FL, USA