1.9

2006 Dodge Charger engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Dodge Charger:

2006 Dodge Charger Owner Comments (Page 1 of 3)

Jul 132015

Charger

The contact owns a 2006 Dodge Charger. While driving on the freeway at an unknown speed, the vehicle stalled and the check engine warning indicator illuminated. In addition, the contact stated that the failure occurred every time the vehicle was refueled. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where it was diagnosed that the throttle body and the power control module failed and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired; however, the failure recurred. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 168,000.

- Houston, TX, USA

Dec 012015

Charger

The contact owns a 2006 Dodge Charger. While driving approximately 55 mph, the vehicle stalled without warning. The contact found a recall related to the fuel tank. The contact took the vehicle to the dealer and the fuel tank was replaced; however, the vehicle began to slow down to approximately 35 mph when reaching high speeds. Additionally, the rpms would continue to increase without the acceleration matching the RPM increase. The contact informed the manufacturer who opened a case on the contact's behalf and informed the contact that there was no recall relating to the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 86,000.

- Stonybrook, NY, USA

Dec 302015

Charger

Our problem still has not been fixed. The car continues to "die in flight." I have uploaded a video to youtube. Https://youtu.be/ssawxdfdswa this occurred while attempting to merge onto the interstate. The rpms jump up and down. The oil light and the electronic throttle control light flash and ding. The check engine light came on. This is going to cause an accident and the dealership says there is nothing wrong with the car.

- Paducah, KY, USA

Sep 252014

Charger

When driving the engine will suddenly shut down with no fore warning. The gas peddle will go to the floor, all steering functions will be removed. The vehicle locks from 70 to 0 in a matter of seconds!!! shortly after the vehicle will restart. Thus far, numerous mechanics has not been able to discover the problem.

- Romulus , MI, USA

Sep 132015

Charger

I was leaving a store and started my car. Everything seemed normal, but the car would not shift out of park. I had to leave the car and came home and found a multitude of information on this problem with this particular model car. I also found out how to take the console apart to get in and shift the car without the shifting lever, so I was able to get it home and drive it to the dealership. The dealership told me that this VIN is not included in the recall for this exact problem for "certain 2005-2007 Dodge Chargers, magnums, and 300S." I had them repair it for $155. The dealership shared with me that they service 4-5 vehicles a week with this identical problem that were not included in the recall for this problem. That is in greensboro nc, which is not a super-large market but is not a tiny market either. I would like for someone to explain to me in detail why my specific car was not included in the recall.

- Ridgeway, VA, USA

May 012015

Charger

As I came to a complete stop, chimes when off in the car then the car just completely shut off. I restarted and car drove fine. The exact set of incidents happened several times a day over a course of a few months. I took the vehicle into a local Dodge dealer. After spending thousands of dollars getting, tcm, ECM, major tune-up, spark plug coils, sensors repaired the problem still persisted. I have had over three different repair shops attempt to diagnose this issue and no one could figure it out. I noticed that the problem occurred even more frequently after filling up at the gas station. Driving like this makes me feel very unsafe. This car has stalled numerous times in rush hour traffic and in freeway traffic. After reading several online threads it appears that other 06 Charger owners are experiencing the same issues and it tends to point to a faulty sensor in the fuel tank. I need this matter resolved. This is very unsafe.

- Tampa, FL, USA

Aug 032015

Charger

I filled my gas tank (but did not top it off with fuel) and left the gas station at the first intersection. The car stalled while braking, the car came back on, accelerated against brakes, died again and wouldn't turn over afterward. Had to turn the car all the way off and back on to restart the car, only to have it do it three more times on the way home. It feels like a serious accident waiting to happen. I read up on the issue and found that it's very common. Dodge needs to fix this problem. We paid for a vehicle to safely Transport us -- this is not safe.

- Boca Raton, FL, USA

Mar 122015

Charger 8-cyl

After refueling car intermittently began stalling and ultimately died upon coming to a stop. Engine did restart but continued to stall and until destination reached approximately 6 miles. No further incidents until roughly two months later when exactly the same problem occurred under same circumstances. Had just refueled and engine stalled repeatedly at speeds of up to 60mph then died when stopped at stop sign. Engine restarted and continued to stall until residence reached.

- Soulsbyville, CA, USA

Aug 292013

Charger 8-cyl

Gear shift stuck in park car in garage aaa towing came out towed car and repaired $312.16 other 2006 Chargers on recall list for this same issue this one needs to be also it is a special edition model so only 2000 made of these it's obvious by recall list this is an issue, why should I have to pay just because my car is a special model.

- Phoenix, AZ, USA

Nov 122014

Charger 8-cyl

Hi, I've had a number of issues with the fuel tank scenario the earlier models suffer with. When I fill the car, it stalls a number of times. I was in a situation where I was coming to a light, the RPM's started to drop and the engine started to die as I was breaking. Then the car revved back to life and this cause the RPM's to shoot up jolting the vehicle forward. Immediately after it died yet again however the issue is I lost all power, steering, brakes, everything. From the jolt forward I came dangerously close to rear ending the car in front of me with a heavy brake pedal. At this point I was jarred a bit, and needed to get the car going again. I went to start it and it did noT want to turn over for roughly 30 seconds. The light changed and there was a lineup of disgruntled drivers behind me as I made efforts to get going again. Then inevitably the vehicle died yet again in the middle of the intersection and went through the same situation. To negate this, I have made efforts to not fill the tank. Now the bigger issue I am having is that when I go to put gas in the car, it does not take. I cannot get a gallon in without the pump clicking off. It takes me quite some time, 10 minutes even to simply put $20 in the car, and I get very frustrated gas attendants here in jersey if I'm not permitted to do man the pump. You need to literally stand with it and continue to reset the pump as it slowly takes and continuously clicks off. This problem needs to be solved, it I's simply unacceptable and dangerous. I have many other instances & dates with stalling and jolting issues after fillup. Even when I leave a 1/4 of the tank empty, I still get some symptoms. Not as often, but the car still does die out. Now that it is so difficult to fill, it is inconvenient to drive. I love the car but the issues are almost not worth it, especially with how thirsty the srt is-no pun thanks

- Morristown, NJ, USA

Sep 142014

Charger 8-cyl

This incident started occurring in September of 2014 but I always thought it was a "hiccup" and never really paid it any mind until it starting happening much more frequently. After I fill up my gas tank (I don't over fill) my car has intermittent engine stalls causing me to lose throttle response and my power steering. Sometimes the car has enough RPM to restart the motor but most of the time I have to shift to neutral and turn the key to restart. This is happening while driving down the interstate!! scares me to death. Now I have this stalling issue every single time I fill up. When slowing down is when the incident is most prevalent but even taking turns its happened and I lose power steering. This is a safety issue.

- Winter Garden, FL, USA

Dec 052014

Charger

Car locked in park in the driveway. While driving in the rain all the dash lights flickered for 2-3 seconds then all lights and gauges shut down this included the headlights as well. While driving 55 miles per hour the car shut itself off I was in heavy traffic at the time. Car is now at the dealership again they cannot find the problem. I still have the same problems with dash lights flickering and the car stopping. Don't know if anyone else is having this problem but the car will also surge forward at a high rate of speed like I have stepped on the gas but my foot would be on the brake. This has happened several times and it scares me to death. These are safety issues that need to be corrected by the manufacture. Dealerships are aware of these issues and have done nothing to correct the problems. This will be the last Dodge I purchase even though I like to buy american made. An investigation should be done with so many complaints. I will be calling detroit with these issues.

- Concord, NC, USA

Apr 092014

Charger

The contact owns a 2006 Dodge Charger. The contact stated that while driving approximately 25 mph, the engine stalled as the electronic throttle control warning lamp illuminated. The vehicle restarted on the first attempt and resumed normally. The failure recurred on seven separate occasions. The vehicle was not taken to a dealer to get diagnosed. The manufacture was made aware of the failure. The failure and current mileage was 111,000.

- Gainesville, FL, USA

Mar 312014

Charger 8-cyl

Vehicle is stalling after filling up with gas. Occurs when idling (such as at a stoplight) or when decelerating at which it also loses the power steering. Highly concerned this will occur in the middle of a busy intersection. Can restart the car usually after two attempts. May go to the next light/stop and same incident will repeat itself. After driving the car for a few miles... (presumably as the fuel level goes down)... car behaves as normal - without issue. Symptoms are very much like a bad tank of gas. Took car to the dealer and they were unable to diagnose the problem. Dealer ran diagnostic checks and no issues are reported. Dodge refuses to do anything until dealer can diagnose the problem. Yet, there is the exact same type of investigation that has already occurred (PE13016) - www-ODI.NHTSA.dot.gov/cars/problems/defect/results.cfm?action_number=PE13016&searchtype=quicksearch&summary=true where Chrysler acknowledges the problem with my 5.7L engine. Is frustrating as can take the car to the dealership shortly after the problem (when it is occurring) and they inspect to find everything appears to be in find working order. Yet, I certainly know the problem exists. :-(

- Lewis Center, OH, USA

Mar 202014

Charger 8-cyl

Engine stalled after startup or @ low speed several times, some times after fuel topoff and engine light /electronic throttle control light came on.

- Medford, NY, USA

Dec 252013

Charger 8-cyl

After fueling car for a trip, while in park the idle speed increased then the car stalled. I was able to restart but while pulling into the street the car stalled again. Luckily it started but when I pulled up to the red light it stalled again and took 3-4 attempts to get the car running again, it would turn over and then die. Finally I got the car started and without any additional stops in my route I made it home with no other problems. I took the car to the dealership (didn't seem to have any problems) yesterday and today I was told I need to have the fuel tank replaced, the "broken" gauge can not be replaced. I have had 2 additional problems with the car losing power when accelerating onto the freeway in the last month, both after fuel ups, but the car had never stalled until recently. Seems very costly, but more dangerous! I feel it should be recalled by Dodge due to quantity of same complaints!

- Phoenix, AZ, USA

Nov 062013

Charger 8-cyl

Car stalls and dies when attempting to accelerate. Has occurred multiple times, and each incident happens right after filling the tank with gasoline.

- Fort Wayne, IN, USA

Oct 012013

Charger 8-cyl

After filling up fuel, went to accelerate and car started sputtering, this happened while merging onto freeway. Second time was when stopped at a stop light, light turned green, pressed the gas pedal and engine light came on and car died. Was able to coast 2 lanes over to the side of road. Car would restart but die after 30 seconds. Had to car towed home. Third time, car died at a busy intersection and was able to get it started and moved to a safe place. Fourth time it died while turning into a shopping center. This is an extremely dangerous fault in the car and should be a recall and paid by Chrysler, luckily I didn't get into an accident with someone rear ending me. My car is at the dealership with a $2000 charge to have this fixed. I should not have to be paying this, as it is a defect in the car itself!!

- Mesa, AZ, USA

Dec 032013

Charger 8-cyl

Car stalled at stop light. Took a few tries to get started again. This happens after refueling the car. This is not the first time this has occurred, I am irritated that it keeps happening.

- St. Peters, MO, USA

May 152013

Charger 8-cyl

I have a 2006 Dodge Charger R/T with a 5.7L engine. My car has started to randomly stall mostly at slower speeds when approaching a stop light or making a turn. There is no warning that it is going to happen, it just sputters, bucks and then stalls. There are no codes after restarting the car. It will restart if I put it in either park or neutral but continues to chug and sputter after restarting. It will do this for awhile and then will not happen again for some time. I never know when it is going to do it or how long it will last. It is very unnerving since it happens at lights and in the middle of intersections. It has happened a few times at highway speeds and thankfully I was able to quickly restart it in neutral and not get into a bad situation! it's very frightening since I live in a big city with heavy traffic. This is very dangerous!!!!! after looking into this issue with the car and seeing the number of complaints, it is obvious that the manufacturer needs to address the problem and fix it. A recall would be appropriate.

- Mesa, AZ, USA