2006 Dodge Charger exhaust system problems

exhaust system problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Dodge Charger:

2006 Dodge Charger Owner Comments

Jul 142011

Charger 6-cyl

We own a 2006 Dodge, Charger SXT. It just passed 76,000 miles when we started smelling a strong odor of gas and exhaust. About a week later we heard exhaust noise and took it to our mechanic. When he checked it he found the right side exhaust manifold was broken into two pieces. He replaced the manifold and the dealership told him they were selling 15 right (passenger side manifolds every week. After he replaced it he said he still heard exhaust noise and recommended we contact Chrysler. Chrysler told us to take it to a dealer for diagnosis. We did and the left side manifold was also broken. The bill for both manifolds was $1035.20. Chrysler has agreed to pay 50% of the dealers bill only or $250.96. There is obviously a serious defect when not only one, but both cast iron manifolds fail within 6,000 miles of the mandatory California epa warranty period for manifolds (70,000). I am seriously concerned because carbon monoxide fumes were entering the car when traveling 65mph. What would have happened if we had been stuck in los angeles traffic at 5-10mph. This defect should be immediately investigated before someone dies from carbon monoxide poisoning.

- Atascadero, CA, USA

Apr 212008

I have a 2006 Dodge Charger that attempts to stall ~ while driving and while sitting at a traffic light ~ and then will hesitate upon acceleration before lurching forward. No accident or injuries yet, but potential is there. Miracle I haven't been rear ended or rear ended someone else. Frightening to think of what could happen if traveling on a highway at around 60-65 mph and the car did stall. I found a forum online with numerous Dodge Charger owners experiencing the same problem. No recall that I can see...yet. I've had mine in the shop five times for this problem and it still acts up.

- Mooresville, NC, USA

Aug 242005

Charger 8-cyl

I am about to file a lemon law complaint because Dodge has been "unable to duplicate" the most serious problems that have plagued my vehicle, a 2006 Dodge Charger R/T, since day four of my ownership. I have owned this car for 68 days and of those, I have only been able to drive the functioning car for 19 days. They have fixed a number of minor issues and notified me that they would be unable to fix or do not know how to fix at this time, some minor issues including the air conditioning compressor problems (which they say they have also been "unable to duplicate". the serious issues that are occurring when it idles, when it accelerates and with what seems to be the suspension and possibly both the engine and transmission. Of those 68 days, they have come to pick up my car on three different occasions to try and fix it, the last time (which continues currently) they have had my car for four weeks. I happen to know (upon researching after the prolonged period they have had the car) that tsb's or technical service bulletins have been issued for every problem that is occurring with my car. Additionally, I have taken my car to two different mechanics (one Dodge dealership and one independent mechanic) that have witnessed these malfunctions. I would like to know what my options are legally for getting some kind of resolution.

- Groesbeck, TX, USA