2.0

2006 Dodge Charger fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Dodge Charger:

2006 Dodge Charger Owner Comments (Page 6 of 10)

Jul 222014

Charger

After every fill up my 2006 Dodge Charger will die. It will stall. It will stop running. This will, and has happened while idling at intersections, during U-turns, left turns, right turns, at 25 mph, at freeway speeds up to 65 mph, and, or every speed in between. It occurs up to and until the engine burns off sufficient fuel so as not to effect whatever system is being effected/failing. This is potentially fatal (one example could be while making a legal left hand turn in front of on coming traffic fully expecting the car to continue running, and then immediately losing engine power, power brakes, and power steering which are all supplied only while the engine is running. This should be recalled immediately as I have read hundreds of complaints for identical issues.

- Placentia, CA, USA

Jun 112014

Charger

I was driving out of the gas station and the car started to stall do to a problem with the gas tank. The car would shake forward and back very hard then the engine would race almost to redline then the car would stall. It did this three times but on the third time I heard what sounded like medal hitting medal. The third time I tried to start the car and heard this loud ticking sound. I cut the car off and back on and the sound was still there. I had the car towed to the dealership and they took apart my engine to find out what the issue was. I was told that I had a rod bearing issue and my engine needed to be replaced. This is going to cost me $6300. I don't believe this is fair due to the repeated engine stalling and jumping is what caused my issue in the first place. The dealership originally told me that the stalling and jumping is the cause of my issue and because there is a warranty on the gas tank they would replace any damage that it caused. After requesting the funds from Chrysler Corp. The dealership stated my issue could not be caused by the jumping and stalling. I question their honesty. I called Dodge and was told that they refuse to cover any damage to my vehicle due to the mileage and it cannot be proven what caused my issue even though they told me that the repeated jumping and stalling could cause this to happen.

- Prince George , VA, USA

Jun 132014

Charger 8-cyl

After fuel refill, motor will stall and die multiple times for up to the next mile of driving at any speed. This is dangerous. After online investigation I found this is a serious problem with many cars of this type. It is also, in my eyes, an extremely expensive repair as it will cost me nearly 1/4 of the price I paid for the car. Chrysler should stand behind there product, repair and replace the faulty tanks in all affected vehicles, not just the first unlucky few, who reported it first.

- Fuquay-Varina, NC, USA

May 242014

Charger

I filled up with gas, pulled out of the gas station onto the expressway on ramp and the engine died. I rolled to the shoulder and after about 10 minutes it would finally start. It stalled a few more times then finally it would run long enough to get me home.

- Loveland, OH, USA

May 082014

Charger

My car stalls out and turns off at a light or driving after filling the fuel tank.

- Miami, FL, USA

May 022014

Charger

I have had an issue with my car stalling and it seems there are many others with the same issue. The fact that this is not being looked at as a safety concern is beyond me. Just because you don't reach 90mph when it stalls does not mean accidents will not occur. If I am turning into a street and traffic is coming in my direction and I stall should I just "restart" my vehicle in hopes that someone doesn't T-bone me? sounds like a bad plot to the start of a movie. Just do the right thing here and fix this world wide issue and let us move on with our muscular cars!

- Jacksonville, FL, USA

Jan 092012

Charger

The contact owns a 2006 Dodge Charger. The contact stated that the vehicle stalled continuously after the vehicle was refueled. The failure recurred intermittently. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who has not diagnosed the problem. The vehicle had not been repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the defect. The approximate failure mileage was 140,000.

Jan 062014

Charger

Every time I fill up the gas tank the car it stalls and shuts off. This causes lost of steering and may start immediately after or take a few tries. I've had my son with me in the car when this happens and I am afraid that we might be rear ended or it may shut off and have no steering at a crucial turn or in a busy intersection. I saw that this website closed the investigation because Dodge (allegedly) was sending owners letters to fix the problem with an extended warranty starting in Jan. 2014. It is April 2014 and the problem is not listed in the Dodge website. Dealerships are not aware either. I just talked to Dodge and my car does not fall under this extended warranty. They basically told me they were not responsible if anything happens because of the problem. I hope they are not waiting on a fatality to actually do something about it. Dodge needs to be proactive and not reactive. I see complaint after complaint here about the same problem. Something needs to be done.

- Mystic, CT, USA

Feb 242014

Charger 8-cyl

Filled up gas tank, and after leaving the gas station and turning on to exit ramp the car stalled out, and I lost control of the steering. After a few attempts to restart the car started, but stalled multiple times until the fuel level dropped to about 3/4 full. I experienced this same problem a few days later after filling up again. I did some research online and found numerous Charger owners experiencing the same issue. I stooped filling up and only fill to about 3/4 full and I haven't experienced the issue again. Today I came across a report on the warranty extension concerning this issue (PE13-016). I called Chrysler and was told my vehicle was not included in the warranty extension. I am highly upset and annoyed by this total lack of regard for human life!

- Atlanta, GA, USA

Apr 122012

Charger 8-cyl

First time it staled was when I filled tank up and got imediatly to highway car stalled as I tryed to merg to highway speed.almost got run over by a tractor trailer behind me.it took a while till I discovered that a fil up will cause Charger to stall happened many more times after I found that it was gas fil up causing the stalling that is the only problem with Charger.I can only get small amounts of gas at a time.help me... please.

- Staten Isl, NY, USA

Apr 142014

Charger 8-cyl

Every time I fill up the car dies for about 5-10 miles every time I come to a stop. It looks like the roll over valve is faulty in the tank. I have heard rumors that this is an extended warranty period item. Is that correct?

- Sapulpa, OK, USA

Jan 142013

Charger 8-cyl

The first time the issue happened was right after we filled up gas, we drove onto the I-5 and proceeded up the grapevine in California, very steep grade. As we started going up the car bogged and died, which slowed our speed dramatically as well as gave me very hard steering at 65 mph. We almost got rear-ended by a larger vehicle behind us, do to our rapid de-acceleration going up hill with no brake lights. The reason for no brake lights is because I was not slowing down on my own. Than the car took about 15 cranks to start on the side of the road. Than I proceeded to merge into traffic which was a safe merge, until the car bogged a second time in the slow lane which this time I had a semi truck behind us. Another close call getting to the shoulder. We waited 5 minutes started car again and proceeded on our way with no problems. Since this first incident in Jan 2013, our car has done this about a dozen other times. There were times driving around corners when the car bogged and died which made it very difficult to steer without power steering. After many incidents were figured out this only happens directly after fill up. If the tank is filled more than 7/8 of the way the car will stall while driving. Very unsafe for my family and this problem is a huge issue with these cars, exp. Charger, magnum, 300.

- Stockton, CA, USA

Jan 012013

Charger 8-cyl

PE13-016 Chrysler is not meeting its obligations.

Jan 012013

Charger 8-cyl

Car stalls numerous times after fueling. Dodge says my VIN does not show any recalls. Refer to (PE13-016)

Feb 072014

Charger

PE13-016, this issue applies to my Charger R/T and anytime I fill up my gas tank the car will stall at any speed. I've had this happen at any speed from the low speeds mentioned to as high as 45 when I was accelerating and I had sloshed the gas tank. Anyway, I have talked with multiple Dodge dealerships and they have all told me that they have no idea what I'm talking about and that they have nothing in their system that would show them my car was affected. I feel that this is crazy and needs to be corrected. I have a car that will kill itself after any fillup and I can't get the manufacturer to own up to what they promised.

- Franklin, IN, USA

Feb 012013

Charger

After filling up gas tank completely my car will die every time, sometimes about 5 minutes after I pull out into traffic. It has been happening for over a year now. I would like to reference PE13-016, Dodge/Chrysler says I will have to 1800$ to have this fixed and that there is no extended warranty on this faulty setup.

- North Richland Hills , TX, USA

Feb 032014

Charger 8-cyl

After filling the car with gas (full tank), and leaving the station, the car shuts completely off.

- Piscataway, NJ, USA

Dec 272013

Charger

The contact owns a 2006 Dodge Charger. The contact stated that after refueling, the vehicle suddenly stalled. The contact indicated that the defect occurred multiple times after refueling. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified and no solution was offered. The failure mileage was 130,000.

- Stockton, CA, USA

Feb 052014

Charger

The contact owns a 2006 Dodge Charger. The contact stated that immediately after refueling the vehicle it stalled without any warning. The vehicle was taken to the dealer and the technician was unable to diagnose the failure. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 80,000. The current mileage was 82,000.

- Huntington, WV, USA

Sep 102013

Charger

Filled up fuel tank and let the nozzle click. Left the gas station, stopped at a light, car stalled. No indicator lights appeared. Restarted easily, and I was driving through the intersection, and at about 15mph, car stalled again and restarted quickly. I pulled off the road, sat for awhile with the car running with no further stalling. Contacted a mechanic, and was informed that a valve in the evap canister located within the gas tank will get stuck, allowing raw fuel to enter the system, giving a false reading to the ECM, indicating the car is running too rich, and will adjust, causing the car to stall. Had to replace the fuel tank(as the evap valve is integrated within the tank), and have had no further problems since. Seems to be a serious safety concern, since there is no indication that car is about to stall and no way to determine that you need to move to safety, especially if you were entering traffic onto a fast moving freeway.

- Canyon Country, CA, USA