2006 Dodge Charger fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Dodge Charger:

2006 Dodge Charger Owner Comments (Page 9 of 10)

May 152013

Charger 8-cyl

After refueling my 2006 Dodge Charger, the car stalled while traveling out of the gas station and the speed was appoximately 20 mph. This has happened several times and only after the tank has been filled to capacity. From what I have read online this is a fuel overflow sensor on the top of the fuel tank that is causing this.

- Newton, NJ, USA

Jan 132013

Charger 8-cyl

I had just filled up my car with fuel and upon exiting the gas station my car stalled. I put the transmission into neutral and coasted to the side of the road. I waited several minutes and restarted the car and went on my way without further incident. I had been aware of a potential problem with my vehicle for this type of problem with information I gleaned from internet forums and this helped me to not panic when it eventually happened to me. This event happened in the evening with fairly light traffic and with the traffic light in my favor. Had the roads been busier and the traffic flowing northbound at the time I may have been broadsided by oncoming traffic. This issue has not been acknowledged or addressed by Chrysler to date as far as I know.

- East Meadow, NY, USA

Sep 122012

Charger 8-cyl

If I fill up my car with gas, it will stall and hesitate. After driving for a few miles it will stop and not happen again until I fill it up again. If I don't fill it all the way, it wont do it. Please fix it!!!

- Hiawatha, KS, USA

Apr 012013

Charger 8-cyl

Immediately after fueling, the vehicle stalled while leaving the gas station and lost all belt driven components as a result - power steering, A/C, etc. The vehicle subsequently stalled several more times while driving, and exhibited labored acceleration in between. This was the first incident and has been repeated every time it was refueled until pump shut off since, regardless of different gas stations and fuels.

- Alexandria, VA, USA

May 092013

I filled my gas tank to full and it hesitates to start and also shut off on me once.

- Orlando, FL, USA

Aug 012009

After refueling the vehicle the vehicle stalled making a left hand turn across traffic. The resulting issue didn't result in an accident but it was close. After that time, the vehicle will stall after filling the passenger fuel chamber over 60 liters.

- Plano, TX, USA

May 122013

Charger 8-cyl

After filling up the gas tank the car stalled out while driving. Its been happening for a long time now. This only accrues after filling up only.

- Sacramento, CA, USA

Mar 162011

Charger 8-cyl

Vehicle engine stalled while driving in on going traffic many times most times after refueling having a hard time to get it started again.

- Cape Coral, FL, USA

Jul 042009

Charger 8-cyl

On July 4th 2009, after refueling my 2006 Dodge Charger R/T (5.7L hemi with approximately 38,000 miles), it stalled while driving at approximately 45mph. It ran/idled rough when restarted. Since the first incident, it repeats the stalling issue randomly after refueling and has continued until current day (5/14/2013). It has stalled several times in the middle of intersections, causing dangerous situations that put my life, as well as other drivers in danger, but usually stalls when stopping at stop/yield signs. After refueling, it is unsafe for me to try and merge onto the freeway unless I circle town on low speed city roads until the car stalls or I feel it will not be an issue at the time - this is a gross waste of fuel that should not be necessary but under current circumstances, it is. Through my own investigation thru on-line sources and members within my local car club, I have found the issue to likely be a faulty roll-over valve within the fuel tank, which is non-serviceable and requires replacing the entire fuel tank (about $750~900 for parts and 3~6 hours of labor).

- Belle Plaine, MN, USA

Dec 012012

Charger 8-cyl

After filling the gas tank the engine stalls and is difficult to restart. It will do this until the tank is not completely full.

- Gaithersburg, MD, USA

Oct 272012

Charger 8-cyl

2006 Dodge Charger rt (5.7 hemi) stalls suddenly when driving on highway. I placed car quickly in neutral and tried restarting twice before car started again. It is very scary now to drive on the highway. This issue continues to happen frequently. I noticed that it usually happens especially after filling up gas.

- Boynton Beach, FL, USA

May 152012

Charger 8-cyl

I was driving the car at 60mph on the expressway when the engine quit with no warning causing the car to lose all power in heavy traffic. My car was nearly hit several times by other cars as I tried to change lanes in order to reach the emergency lane on the right side of the expressway. I restarted the car with no problems. The car engine has quit for no reason several other times with no warning in the last year while driving at different speeds. The manufacturer needs issue a recall, or be liable for any lawsuits resulting from accidents caused by defective fuel systems in these vehicles.

- Denham Springs, LA, USA

Jan 242013

Charger 8-cyl

After filling tank with fuel, car stalls and dies several times due to flooding. Web search reveals this is a very common problem and only solution to fully resolve is to replace fuel tank with associated equipment. If this problem is as pervasive as it seems, then an investigation should be initiated and a recall begun. A car dying repeatedly in traffic is a very bad thing.

- Jonesboro, AR, USA

Apr 102011

The contact owns a 2006 Dodge Charger. The contact stated that while driving 25 mph, the power steering assist failed followed by the vehicle stalling. The failure recurred numerous times. The vehicle was taken to a dealer for diagnosis and the contact was informed that the fuel tank would need to be replaced. The manufacturer was notified and they offered to cover seventy-five percent of the repair cost. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 75,000 and the current mileage was 102,000.

- Allen, TX, USA

Apr 032013

Charger 8-cyl

For the past 3 months, 5 to 10 minutes after filling up with fuel, car stalls and dies. Spoke to the dealer mechanic and he said he had to replace the total gas tank in an 06 Charger a few days ago for the same reason. He went on to say that this is the only way to fix the problem. Cost starts at $1700 up to $2500. Why is there no recall on this... Chrysler Dodge will be paying much more when accidents and injuries start happening due to this issue. I was in the center lane of the freeway and everything locked up. It was peak traffic hours. I threw it in nutral to restart and go, I made it to the slow lane and put my hazard lights on until I could exit off the freeway. Car died 2 more times until I was off the freeway. I wil not drive on the freeway with this car until its fixed.

- Fresno, CA, USA

Apr 042013

The contact owns a 2006 Dodge Charger. The contact stated that after refueling, the vehicle stalled. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was found that the fuel tank needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not contacted. The failure mileage was 79,000.

- Fresno, CA, USA

Nov 212012

It happen after I put gas in the car. I was driving and the car just die, I put it in park and started right away but it was driving like if it needed oxygen to breath. The next stop it die again I put it in park again and started right away and I continue to go home. It is very scary I drive the freeway a lot thank god it did not happen while I was on the freeway I would it cause a big accident. Now every time I put gas the car does the same thing I need to find an answer to the problem.

- Victorville, CA, USA

Mar 202013

Charger 8-cyl

Immediately after fueling the vehicle, it stalled after start up while driving in traffic. The vehicle was not topped off, but had a full tank of fuel. This happened on two occasions to date, both occasions the vehicle died at least twice, once the vehicle died while in park and the other incidents were while the car was in gear and moving at a low speed through traffic.

- Maryland Heights, MO, USA

Oct 192012

Charger 8-cyl

This problem is related to the purge solenoid. The evaporative emissions system stores fuel vapors from the tank and then burns them in the engine, to keep the vapors from going into the atmosphere. When you fill the tank with fuel the air and vapor that the fuel displaces has to go into the evap system. There is a valve on top of the tank that allows the vapor out, but is supposed to shut off when liquid fuel hits it as the tank fills. What happens is this valve fails and it allows you to push liquid fuel into the evap system when you push too much fuel into the tank. This liquid fuel goes into the vapor canister and lines. When you start the engine a couple minutes later the purge solenoid will come on to do it's job and burn these vapors, but with this failed valve it sucks up liquid fuel instead, so the engine runs rough and can die at idle. The vehicle stalls for the next 5 miles or so whenever you take your foot off the gas, I.e. taking a turn or sitting at a traffic light. The vehicle bucks violently as well. When the engine stalls it cuts all power to the vehicle causing you to lose power steering and the ABS. Because the vehicle is vapor locked it will not restart immediately. My fear is that I am going to pull into traffic and be involved in an accident when my vehicle stalls and will not restart or I'll be injured when it happens taking a curve or turn. Chrysler customer service center says they have no service bulletins on this issue and no one else has complained about. A quick internet search (Dodge Charger stall after filling with gas) shows it is a wide spread issue not only with the Charger but the magnum and Chrysler 300 as well. Only way to fix issue is to replace the entire gas tank which is a $900 part with 2-3 hours labor.

- East Hampton, CT, USA

Feb 132013

Charger 8-cyl

The car would lose all power within a 10th of mile after filling up with gasoline. The car gives no warning signals, but stalls out. This happen also when the fuel tank was a fourth of tank of gas. The car would restart, within minutes after placing it in park. ( remind you I am sitting in middle of highway with no tail lights, or flashers) this is a major concern of mine. I was lucky that I did not get rear ended when the car stalled during "rush hour" traffic. The next day, I took the car to the dealership to have the problem checked and fixed. I was informed the fuel tank canister had a valve that was operating incorrectly causing the problem. The fuel tank and canister needed to be replaced. The total cost to me was $1548. The cost was high, but the chance of getting into a wreck and causing injuries was worth the price to fix to me. I feel since has been a problem with other 2006 Chargers an investigation of the part needs to happen before someone does get killed.

- Summerville, SC, USA