2006 Dodge Charger fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Dodge Charger:

2006 Dodge Charger Owner Comments (Page 10 of 11)

May 182013

Charger 8-cyl

After refueling stalled out has done it multiple times. Had one time while passing it lagged then when I stopped after it stalled out again.

- Big Rapids, MI, USA

Apr 112009

Charger 8-cyl

I was turning left into a parking lot and the vehicle suddenly stalled. This has happened probably 20 different times since I purchased the vehicle in March 2009. It has happened while driving at various speeds, while exiting the interstate, while turning at intersections and while driving on straight aways. Several times have been soon after refueling. This always happens suddenly and without warning and has nearly caused me to wreck the vehicle. The last time this happened was on 5/17/2013, I had refueled that morning. That evening it stalled twice and I had trouble restarting the vehicle. Something needs to be done before someone gets hurt or killed. I'm afraid to have my kids in the car.

- Fort Oglethorpe, GA, USA

May 072012

Charger 8-cyl

After refueling, car tends to stall, or not axcelarate properly. Causing multiple problems without power..

- Roanoke, VA, USA

Sep 122012

Charger 8-cyl

If I fill up my car with gas, it will stall and hesitate. After driving for a few miles it will stop and not happen again until I fill it up again. If I don't fill it all the way, it wont do it. Please fix it!!!

- Hiawatha, KS, USA

May 022013

Charger 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Dodge Charger. The contact stated that after refueling, the vehicle stalled. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who stated that the fuel system was allowing too much fuel into the engine which caused it to fail. The vehicle had not been repaired. The failure mileage was 26,000 and the current mileage was 26,500. Updated 7/15/13 the consumer stated there was a malfunction of a valve on top of the fuel tank, that was part of the emission system.. raw fuel entered the fuel canister, which made the engine rich and stalled.

Dec 012012

Charger 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Dodge Charger. The contact stated that while driving 50 mph, the vehicle stalled. The contact had to restart the vehicle to resolve the failure momentarily. The vehicle was taken to the dealer, who stated there was a charcoal canister in the fuel system that needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 56,000. The current mileage was 58,005. Updated 7/10/13

- Rockville Centre , NY, USA

Nov 142012

Charger 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Dodge Charger. The contact stated that after fueling the fuel tank more than half full, the vehicle stalled. The failure recurred numerous times. The vehicle was taken to a dealer for diagnosis but no cause for the failure was found. The vehicle had not been repaired. The failure and current mileage was 70,000. Updated 6/4/13

- Los Angeles, CA, USA

Feb 142011

Charger 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Dodge Charger. The contact stated that after refueling, the vehicle stalled while driving at unknown speeds. The contact took the vehicle to the dealer where it was found that the fuel tank and sensor needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The failure mileage was 35,000 and the current mileage was 46,237. Updated 05/28/13 updated 06/11/2013

- Bakersfield, CA, USA

May 152012

Charger 8-cyl

The car stalls in traffic after it is filled with gas. This happen repeatedly and we took it back to the Dodge dealer who replaced the purge valve in the gas tank. This did not solve the problem, the car still stalls after filling the tank with gas and continues to stall and "stutter" until about 1-2 gallons are used. This problem is very much a safety hazard.

Jan 122012

Charger 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Dodge Charger. The contact stated that the vehicle would stall whenever he drove a quarter of a mile after refueling. The vehicle was taken to the dealer, where the contact was informed that the roll over valve needed to be replaced. The vehicle had not been repaired. The current and failure mileages were 70,000. Updated 06/12/12 the consumer stated the valve only be replaced by replacing the gas tank. Updated 06/13/12

- Eureka, MO, USA

Oct 192011

I bought my 2006 Dodge Charger R/T brand new in June of 2006. I always filled the tank with gas until the pump automatically shutoff. I never topped off with gas or continued filling the tank once the pump would automatically stop. This was never a problem for 5 years. Last year in October of 2011 at around 73,000 miles the car would stall and turn off the engine occasionally right after filling up in live traffic usually at a stop light or parking lot driveway. I would have to put the transmission shifter from drive to park since the vehicle shut off and restart the car with no problem. Today at 75,600 miles on March 27, 2012; I filled up as usual and the car engine turned off in traffic on 3 different occasions. I read on Chrysler owners' forums online this is a common problem with plenty of Chrysler vehicles and Chrysler is aware of it. The fix is a whole new fuel tank with a better fuel vapor valve and the cost would run $1300-$2000 for various car, van, and truck owners. The only other method I was advised by a Dodge service advisor was not to fill the car up all the way, perhaps to 3/4 of a tank full. This is dangerous for any driver when a car engine stops, steering locks, and there is traffic behind you. Some drivers will not know how to react in this situation. Chrysler should offer a recall to fix this problem with the gas tank instead of charging the owner.

- Antelope, CA, USA

Aug 012011

Charger 8-cyl

The engine stalls after I fill the fuel tank and leave the gas station. Usually this occurs within a block or so after leaving the gas station and it continues for several miles of driving. I do not 'top off' the tank, and I have mindful lately to not even fill up all the way if possible. This issue has caused several 'near accidents' when the vehicle stalls in the lanes of traffic. It causes me to be extremely cautious after filling up. I do not trust that I can any longer drive with other traffic after filling up, forcing me to drive on side roads/access roads for several minutes to minimize the possibility of an accident, in the event the engine stalls. I understand that this is a problem with the ventilation valve in the fuel tank and the only way to correct this issue is to have the fuel tank replaced.

- Lake Jackson, TX, USA

Mar 032010

Charger 8-cyl

Fill up with gas car stall numerous times is dangerous not always re start immediately needs gas tank because vent valve for evap system is bad con only be changed with new gas tank on other brand of cars you can change just the valve. Cost on this car aprox. $1350 all Dodge and Chrysler with 5.7 litre do it.

- Wantagh, NY, USA

Nov 212011

Charger 8-cyl

Vehicle stalls after filling up with gas due to a faulty valve in the gas tank. Could cause a collision if the car stalls in front of on coming traffic. This problem is not only common to the Charger but to all Chrysler vehicles. The only solution is to replace the gas tank due to the fact that the valve is not serviceable.

- Bartonville, IL, USA

Feb 172011

Charger 8-cyl

This problem has occurred during the last two fill ups. The cars engine will rev up and then start to run rough and then eventually stall. Once car is restarted it seems to run fine. Then will driving down the road and coming to a stop the engine will rev up and car will jump forward. It may run rough or stall you just never know. This all continues to happen until the gas level in the tank drops down some after driving for a couple of days or if the gas cap is left loose. What is happening is the evap vent on the fuel tank deteriorates and eventually allows fuel to pass threw it into the purge solenoid and then into the intake on the motor. This extra fuel being dumped into the motor causes it to rev up and jerk forward when this occurs. So every time the evap purge solenoid comes on it will suck gas into the motor instead of vapors. This extra fuel is like hitting the gas pedal each time. Leaving the cap loose won't let the system seal and work as designed, it's a crutch to avoid the problem. Each time this has occurred with my car I removed the purge solenoid and poured gas out of it. There should never be gas in these purge solenoids. The only fix is a fuel tank replacement at over $600 for the tank alone. One day I'm afraid I'll run into something or somebody when this engine revs up and jumps forward.

- Chesapeake, VA, USA

Nov 102011

Charger 8-cyl

Approximately 1 month ago, this problem started to occur; after fueling up the vehicle will start to stall randomly and continuously. No matter while stopped at a light or traveling at highway speeds. After looking the problem up on the internet, I discovered that there has been thousands of people having the same problem with the same make/model vehicle, along with similar model vehicle, as I am. Apparently this is a manufacturer defect that they are aware of but do not want to fix the problem or recall it to have it fixed. From what I have been reading on the internet the problem is occurring in the fuel tank, where the fuel control valve on top of the fuel tank (only serviced with the tank), fails and allows raw liquid fuel to enter the evap system. A short time after start up, the PCM actuates the purge solenoid to purge the vapors from the canister. Since there is raw fuel in the canister and lines, the result is an overly rich mixture that floods the engine, causing the engine to stall. I am trained and employed law enforcement officer in the state of Florida and am well trained in reacting to high stress incident to include with high stress driving and believe this is what has avoided any crashes to occur while I am in control of the vehicle. I believe someone may over react or not know how to react to this situation and may become involved in a serious crash causing serious bodily harm or possibly death without a immediate recall on this problem. Which again Dodge is well aware of the design/manufacturer's defect. Any assistance in recalling this defect immediately would be greatly appreciated on my behave, but without immediately recall could cause someone to become injured or a loss of life. Any questions feel free to contact me.

- West Palm Beach, FL, USA

Oct 262011

My car was recalled for the cooling fans letting my car overheat. The dealer replaces the fans and the asks if I want him to fix my overheating issue. I thought that was why my cooling fans were the issue. It stopped overheating for a month maybe at most the I had to have a new radiator, T-stat, and water pump. Within a couple weeks on my way to my doctor the temperature gauge dropped to 140 and died. I started it up and it has a quick knocking noise that seem to tick too quickly to be a rod plus the car doesn't die. I turned it off after hearing the knocking and had it towed home. Now my brother is letting me drive his car and mine is a yard ornament.

- Waynesboro, TN, USA

Dec 152010

Charger 8-cyl

Car engine stalls and die every time I fill up the fuel tank, dealer is telling me something bad with the rollover valve in the gas tank and they are charging me $1600 for the repair. I found on the internet forums a lot of people having the same issues. :-(

Nov 012010

Charger 8-cyl

Charger R/T. moderate to strong odor of raw gasoline when car comes to a stop. Intermittent but occurs more than 90% of the time. Started in Oct 2010'still occurring. Usually worse the colder it is outside;after driving several hrs.& making an abrupt stop; & w/ 1/2 to 3/4 tank of gas. But, it has occurred when in the 50S outside;driving 20 ft. From driveway into garage and shutting off the engine, after car has sat for several hours without the engine running; and with a full tank or 1/4 or less of gas. Has occurred a couple of times upon acceleration, but almost always occurs when the car comes to a stop.the one time I smelled it the strongest though was after I backed into a parking space. I had been in another space with the engine off for about 30 minutes. I started the car and backed into a space further down in the lot, shut the engine off, and the odor of raw gas was very strong and seemed to be right underneath the driver's door when I opened it. Passengers in car have also smelled it. Myself and 2 other people have inspected the vehicle under the hood, and underneath while it was on a lift, but could not locate any leaks, broken or cracked hoses, etc. I took it to a Dodge dealership on 2/8/11 and they could not find the cause of it either. However, it never occurred on the way to the dealer. It was in the 20S that morning and I had between 1/2 and 3/4 of a tank of gas; normally "ideal" conditions under which it occurs. Problem did not occur until later that morning after leaving the dealership. I advised the dealership service adviser of all of the circumstances under which it occurs, on a typed document which I gave to him. My main concern is that since it is the gasoline fumes that are combustible, that it will eventually cause a fire. Also, there are about a dozen other Dodge Charger owners who belong to a Charger owners' web site,, who have posted the same complaint and neither they nor dealerships have found a cause for it either.

- Bowie, MD, USA

Aug 272008

The engines' rocker arms & lifters are tapping & causing engine to stall & consume more gas all because the Chrysler-Dodge dealership have been replacing only 5qts of oil rather than the 6qts the manual instructs. Nothing has been done by the dealer to correct this maintenance issue.

- Dolton, IL, USA