2.0

2006 Dodge Charger fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Dodge Charger:

2006 Dodge Charger Owner Comments (Page 2 of 11)

Feb 012011

Charger 8-cyl

I had a 2006 Charger (recently sold) with the well documented stalling issues after filling up the fuel tank. The first time the car died I was in the middle of a very busy intersection. I managed to get the car to a nearby parking lot after 2 additional stalls. I took the car to a Dodge dealer who could not reproduce the problem & sold me a new gas cap. Gas cap did not fix the problem. For the next 18 months I could only fill the tank 3/4 full to enable me to use my car safely. I replaced the fuel tank and other components in 2012 to the tune of $1.8K. Now Chrysler/Dodge tells me that even though my Charger fits all the criteria for the lifetime warranty, my car is not eligible for the warranty. I will not be reimbursed now and possibly not ever, all because of a letter behind the 3 digit sales code. None of the documentation I received when I bought the car contains the sales code so I have to recourse to prove me right and them wrong.

- Combine, TX, USA

Jul 022014

Charger 8-cyl

In May 2014 I recieved a letter from Chrysler in regards to the faulty fuel tank in my 2006 Dodge Charger rt. They wrote to let me know that they are aware of a faulty fuel shut-off float in my gas tank that will cause the vehicle to stall. I called to schedule the repair and was told that Chrysler is only sending out one fuel tank per dealership per week and that I was 7th in line to have my work performed. So that meant that I would have to drive a vehicle that was continually cutting off for 2 months even before they would fix it. I called Chrysler to inquire why it would take so long to fix a problem that they know is causing numerous vehicles to cut off and they said that the parts are on backorder. I indicated to them that I had come close to having numerous accidents because my vehicle was stalling in traffic and yet they didnt seem to care one iota. After waiting 2 months for my time in line to come around I called the dealership to see when the work would be able to be done and was told that I was next in line but the part was still on backorder and could not have my vehicle fixed yet. They could not give me an estimate as to when they would be able to get the parts in. I find it very hard to fathom that a major automaker such as Chrysler/Dodge, knowing about a problem with their vehicles that are causing them to shut off in traffic and are not expediting the process of having those vehicles fixed. I have been very lucky thus far by not having a very serious accident due to my car stalling but I fear that someone else may not be so lucky and that someone is going to be seriously hurt. There are numerous vehicles like mine on the road with the same problem and its a shame that someone has to risk serious injury due to Chrysler's inability to do whats right.

- Richmond, VA, USA

Dec 232013

Charger

The contact owns a 2006 Dodge Charger. The contact stated that the vehicle sputtered and stalled when the fuel tank was filled to capacity. The failure continued to occur over a six month period. The vehicle was taken to a dealer for diagnostic testing however, they were unable to diagnose the failure. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 48,000.

- Topeka, KS, USA

Jun 132014

Charger 6-cyl

We purchased a 2006 Dodge Charger 3.5L from a local dealership with around 63,000 miles. They filled the tank up before we left. Other than the customary lap around town with the "new" car, I didn't drive it for two days. I drove the car 70 miles to another town for an appointment with no issues. When I went to leave my appointment, I started the car and attempted to back out of my parking spot. The car died as soon as I placed it in reverse. I put the car back in park, restarted and tried to shift to reverse again. The car died again and the check engine light was on. I attempted the same process again and it died yet again. I thought of revving the engine while reversing to get the car to move, but I didn't do it because of safety issues. I was blindly backing into a street and didn't want to get involved in an accident. My brother happens to work in the same town I was in. He came to help. I stood in the street to block traffic. He revved up the engine (two footed the brake and gas) and managed to back it into the street. The check engine light was still on. I two footed the car the 70 miles back to the dealership I had purchased it from. The dealership I purchased the car from sent it to a Dodge dealership. The dealership says that there is nothing wrong with my car and that they couldn't replicate the engine dying. They stated that I was driving with the parking/emergency brake on. I never use my parking brake (all my cars have been automatics). My parking brake was not on at any time. My brother stated the parking brake was not on. This is a major safety issue and I am not satisfied with how the dealership handled it. I could not drive my car out of a parking space. What if it had died in the road when I had to stop at lights or for other vehicles turning in front of me? I found similar complaints from other Dodge owners online. See investigation PE 13-016.

- Paducah, KY, USA

May 212014

Charger 8-cyl

When I fully fill and top off my gas tank the car stalls and sputters. I know I am not the only one having this problem as I have seen people complaining online. My car is a Dodge Charger rt 2006. This is unsafe and there should be an immediate recall the fix the vapor canister and the gas tank. It might be expensive but if your car is on the highway going 60 mph and power steering fails when you're driving it could be fatal. Fix this immediately.

- Saugus, MA, USA

Mar 012013

Charger 8-cyl

Car stalls out at low speeds or when at light. Consistent with other problems raised concerning these vehicles.

- Longwood, FL, USA

Jun 022014

Charger 8-cyl

When entering an intersection and during a left turn, the engine failed rendering the power steering inoperable and reducing braking ability. Even though the car was controllable although with significant increase in required force. I almost went off the road as a result of the partial loss of control but managed to recover. Someone with less strength may not have been able to recover. In this case, non-recovery would have resulted in hitting an overpass. Chrysler is aware of this defect but has not classified it as a recall. It is classified as an extended warranty and requires the dealer to order a fuel tank and replace the one in the vehicle. Parts are now restricted and I was advised that they may not be available for months. This is not a convenience problem\, this is a safety issue that has the potential to cause major injury or death.

- Cookeville, TN, USA

Jun 072013

Charger 8-cyl

Filled gas tank and then approx 10 miles into my drive car chug chugged a couple times then stalled. At first car wouldn't restart but when I pressed gas pedal and turned key on next attempt it turned over. Drove short distance and stalled again. This happened again and again when I filled my tank to full. Eventually I found that if I did not fill tank to full I was ok.

- Medford Lakes, NJ, USA

Jan 102014

Charger 8-cyl

While driving vehicle it will shut off unexpectedly and abruptly locking up power steering. On multiple occasions with last incident occurring on May 28, 2014 at approx 1:00 pm while turning right at an intersection car shut off and immediately locked power steering. 2 cars were feet behind my car while another car had entered intersection anticipating our turns. Car shuts completely off. Must put in park and restart car. Cars behind me slammed on brakes.

- Lantana, FL, USA

Nov 182013

Charger 8-cyl

After filling the fuel tank, the car will suddenly stall while driving on the road within 5 miles of fueling up. This can be very dangerous if I am turning and another vehicle is coming at me. I lose all power steering. To start it again I have to either come to a complete stop and put the car in park, or I have to put it in neutral and turn the key while moving. This can be very dangerous under several situations.

- Spicewood, TX, USA

Apr 042014

Charger 8-cyl

While driving on freeway, car died. Was able to start it back up again. Gas tank only 1/8 full. Got off freeway. Car continued to just shut off while driving on the streets, leaving me stuck in the intersection several times.

- Ontario, CA, USA

Nov 302012

Charger

In the 2006 Dodge Charger R/T the car will completely turn off if the gas is full or close to full. This is a well known issue with the R/T model. Dodge has known of this issue for years and also the dealerships. After filling the tank the vehicle will turn off in turn losing power steering brakes and engine power even while your foot is on the gas pedal. I have almost gotten into accidents due to this. I took my vehicle to the Dodge dealerships and was told that this is a known problem and Dodge refuses to call a recall.

- Prince George, VA, USA

May 082014

Charger 8-cyl

My car started to stall after I filled up at the gas station. I pulled out of the gas station and as I was approaching a traffic light my car started jerking as if was going to shut off.

- Lithonia, GA, USA

Mar 042014

Charger 8-cyl

2006 Dodge Charger this happened on three separate occasions. After a fill up at a gas station, the car would stall out, usually when just leaving the gas station. All three occasions, the stall out was right in the middle of the road turning on to. Luckily, everyone was paying attention and no wreck ensued. According to Dodge, the problem is some kind of gas valve failed causing the car to stall. Unfortunately, Dodge said the valve could not be replaced. The whole gas tank had to be replaced. Cost of approximately $2500. Safety problems as I see it: 1. valve should not fail and cause a stall out. Danger of serious crash. 2. design is deficient that you have to take the gas tank out and put a new one in to fix a defective valve. Mileage is an estimate for the time of the last incident.

- Columbia, MD, USA

Apr 182014

Charger 8-cyl

The engine died just after fuel fill-up when I was leaving the lot and getting onto the street. While filling the tank, the pump stopped as if the tank was full, but when I got in the car after fill-up, the gas gauge read only 3/4 full. When the engine died, there was traffic behind me and traffic ahead. I could have been in an accident or caused one. I shifted to neutral, and coasted and re-started the car. This is completely unacceptable. It is dangerous for me, for my family, for my wife when she is driving, as well as the motorists around me.

- Phoenix, AZ, USA

Jul 012013

Charger 8-cyl

When I fill the car completely up with gas, it will stall out while driving several times until the fuel level lowers.

- Palmdale, CA, USA

May 032014

Charger 8-cyl

After filling up with gas the engine started miss firing as soon as I left the forecourt, a few seconds later the car stalled in heavy traffic, it started again but continued stalling. As I tried to get out of the traffic it stalled again half way across a busy intersection and came very close to having an accident with oncoming traffic. Eventually it began to run ok and I got home, when I looked online there is a large amount of complaints with this happening to many owners of 2006 Chargers and all with the same story. This fault could result in a serious accident and I will speak with my nearest Chrysler dealer.

- Fort Myers, FL, USA

Nov 042013

Charger 8-cyl

This vehicle has been flawless since purchased new in 2006. In Nov. 2013 it stalled when backing out of the garage. Restarted vehicle and was fine for 5 miles then stalled again. Ever since then the problem has increased in frequency and almost caused multiple accidents due to the vehicle stalling when crossing intersections or merging onto highways. I have not driven this car in months due to this as it is not safe for me or other drivers on the road. I have spent close to $2,000 in multiple attempts to fix this vehicle following repair manual procedures via the dealer. I have had the PCM, replaced twice (first one was defective right out of the box), tcm replaced, battery replaced, throttle body replaced, map sensor replaced, asd relay replaced and spark plugs replaced with zero improvements. I used to enjoy this vehicle and now it is a death trap with the way it is behaving. Something needs to be done as there are tens of thousands of these vehicles on the road exhibiting the same symptoms and dealer techs unable to properly diagnose and repair them.

- Clermont, FL, USA

Feb 132012

Charger 8-cyl

I have a 2006 Dodge Charger R/T and every time I fill up the car stalls while driving, sometimes at slow speeds or once you make a complete stop. It has happened since 2012. I take care of this vehicle. I thought it was the gas which I changed the gas octane and still the same results. I thought the issue would pass but it hasn't. I have stalled in traffic by the grace of god I wasn't hit. Took the car to a Dodge dealership a few times they still can't seem to find a reason as to why it stalls. I talked with a guy one day and he said that his wife car has done it and not to fill up or replace the entire fuel system. Why would I not fill up if I'm traveling especially out of town and why replace the same fuel system that's going to eventually give the same results. Sooner or later something bad is going to happen and something needs to be done about it. Really, who knows if it's going to stall even if you don't fill up and stall at the wrong time and someone gets in an accident getting seriously injured or possibly death due to something as filling up a vehicle. Ridiculous your life could be in danger due to putting fuel in your vehicle and no matter how many times there's a complaint about it looks like nothing will get done until someone actually lose their life. More than likely that's how it works nothing is ever done until something bad happens. The car stalled today 4/26/2014.

- Sandersville, GA, USA

Nov 022012

Charger 8-cyl

After filling the gas tank, the car would stumble, miss and start jerking. Was making a 90 degree right hand turn and the car shut off. In the middle of the turn, I had no power steering nor brakes. Fortunately, there were no oncoming cars as I ended up on the wrong side of the street. Car restarted and ran a few feet before the stumbling, jerking and missing started to occur once again. After reading up on this problem, I had the gas tank replaced, as it (the tank) had all of the signs of a bad "roll-over" valve. This valve is molded into the gas tank and is non-replaceable. Once the tank was replaced, the problem has gone away and have not had an issue since.

- Parma, OH, USA