2.0

2006 Dodge Charger fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Dodge Charger:

2006 Dodge Charger Owner Comments (Page 6 of 11)

Nov 142013

Charger 8-cyl

After fueling up my car, I jumped onto the hwy and my vehicle started jerking and then staled on me. I was able to started it back up but it stop on my again. Made it home and everything was fine the next day. I thought I got some bad gas. Then, this kept happening after I would put gas into my tank. I finally took it in, January due to I was almost reared end while taking my daughter to school. I just found out it was the fuel tank and it will cost me 1800 dollars to replace the part.

- Austin, TX, USA

Nov 182013

Charger 6-cyl

• 1,220,000 miles
Warmed up my car as I always did in the morning for 15 min pulled out of my driveway and proceeded to the down the street to the stop sign came to a complete stop and my car started to idle hard continued down the street at 35 mph and came to a complete stop at a stop light the car started to idle hard again then the red lighting bolt started to flash and car shut off. I put my car back in park and restarted the car proceeded for another file mile approached another stop light light and same thing hard idle and shut off. I took my car to four different dealerships no one knew what the problem was. One mechanic said that it could be throttle body so I had him remove it and clean it he also removed the cables to battery to reset it car work fine for three days no problem the on the fourth day did as I always did warm up car and take off car shut off at first stop light. I noticed that it didn't do it while it was warm out side this morning was really cold and same issue.

- Lemoore, CA, USA

Dec 112013

Charger 8-cyl

Vehicle began to misfire and then stalled approximately 1/4 mile after filling fuel tank. This has happened multiple times and is occurring more frequently. This is a serious safety issue since vehicle stopped in the middle of an intersection and almost caused an accident. Was able to restart the car and continue to destination. Online forums attribute the cause to a faulty vapor purge valve/evap canister and requires fuel tank replacement.

- St. Louis, MO, USA

Nov 072013

Charger 8-cyl

Vehicle stalls and kills after refueling. It happens before even leaving the pump and/or once driving has started. It takes a few miles or some time before it's normal again. If it's sitting idle, you can hear it struggling before a burst in RPM's leading to a stall. Sometimes it starts right back up. Sometimes it doesn't for a while.

- Baton Rouge, LA, USA

Oct 162013

Charger 8-cyl

Car stalls and cuts off after refueling. I always put 89 octane or higher gasoline in my vehicle. This is a severe safety issue because you can get rammed from behind when in traffic I.e. Washington, DC area the busiest streets in America. The dealer suggested the consumer spend $1800 to replace the fuel tank. Updated 02/06/14

- Alexandria, VA, USA

Jan 192014

Charger 8-cyl

The first time my wifes 2006 Dodge Charger car shut off/stalled after we filled up the car, I thought it may have been some bad fuel. But no way - as I have filled the car several times now and the same thing happens regardless of where we get the fuel. Last night, I filled the 2006 Dodge Charger gas tank on a trip and was getting back onto the highway and the car stalled....lost power steering, etc...had to quickly place in neutral and restart...then put into drive and it was okay for a few moments. Then the car started sputtering and stalled again. I pulled to the side of the intestate 75 and came to a complete stop. Had a hard time cranking it, but then it did crank. I started to pull off and it stalled again. After the 3rd time I was able to continue down the highway for about 2 miles and it started sputtering. It did this about 4-5 times and then ran okay. I drove on home, which was about 40 miles and figured that the stalling problem was behind us (at least we fill up again). This morning my wife took the car to go to the gym and she had to turn around as the car kept stalling. It is definitely worse right after the car is filled up with fuel, and sometimes it shuts off in the gas station parking lot.

- Canton, GA, USA

Dec 082013

Charger 8-cyl

Vehicle stalls after filling up fuel tank.

- Fredericksburg, TX, USA

Jan 012014

Charger 8-cyl

After re-fueling at a local gas station I came to a stop at a traffic signal light. When the light turned green the car stalled. I placed the car in park and it restarted. This also occurred several months ago and I experienced the same scenario each time after re-fueling my vehicle.

- Fredericksburg, VA, USA

Jul 292013

Charger 8-cyl

Initially, after refueling my vehicle (2006 Dodge Charger R/T with 5.7L hemi) at a gas station, the engine would hesitate and stumble a mile or so later, and operate normally after a few moments. However, beginning within the last month, whenever I refuel at the gas station, the engine will hesitate and then stall.the obd does not illuminate the mil or register a dtc. The engine is then hard to restart, and once restarted and the transmission in drive, the vehicle will not begin to move immediately upon pressing on the accelerator, as if the transmission is in park or neutral. The stalling happens when pulling out of the gas station, when stopped and idling, and has happened when driving in traffic. This problem has resulted in several near collisions as the unexpected loss of power happens when pulling into traffic and while driving. This condition continues for several minutes and miles. I have gotten into the practice of refueling and driving straight home to park the car overnight, as it seems to drive better given time to sit after refueling.

- Tinley Park, IL, USA

Jan 112014

Charger 8-cyl

2006 Dodge srt8 6.1 repeatedly stalls after filling with gasoline. Vehicle is difficult to start after. Car sputters at speed for first 30 miles on full tank.

- New Port Richey , FL, USA

Oct 302013

Charger 8-cyl

My car stalled less than 1 mile after pulling out of a gas station after filling up with gas. It took several tries to restart before successfully able to drive again. I thought bad gas. But it now happens every time after I fill my tank full of gas. My car's rpms will sputter for the first couple miles after filling up with gas. It also stalls every time driving within the first 2 miles of filling up with gas. It is very scary driving with my family in the car and fearing that my car will stall in the middle of an intersection and cause a major accident. There is no check engine light or diagnostic codes for this. Just the oil light comes on and the engine dies, power steering fails, and ABS are not working.

- Kennesaw, GA, USA

Nov 282013

Charger 8-cyl

After fueling car, the engine stalled. Luckily I had not pulled into traffic yet. I was able to restart after a couple of attempts and drive back into the parking lot. The engine stalled again. After that, the car wouldn't start. I had to have it towed to the nearest Dodge dealership. Because it was thanksgiving, and everything was closed, I had to delay my trip a day before continuing on to my destination. The next day the dealership called and said it was running fine and couldn't find anything wrong with it. I had no further problems until Sunday on my way home. I stopped to fill up the tank and it happened again. This time I didn't leave the gas station in fear that it might happen again. I was able to get the car started and keep it idling for about 15 minutes before attempting to drive in traffic. This process took about 2 hours. I continue to have the same issue when filling the tank with gas. I am unable to travel out of town because I don't want to get stranded again and or worse, cause an accident and injure someone. The only tip I can offer that has helped with this issue is to keep the engine running while fueling. I know this is not recommended, but it has helped prevent the engine from stalling after fueling and causing an accident.

- Papillion, NE, USA

Jan 062014

Charger 8-cyl

The car shut off completely while driving right after refueling and leaving the gas station. It shut off 3 more times after that.

- Fort Walton Beach, FL, USA

Jan 032014

Charger 8-cyl

The car stalled just after fueling when attempting to cross a busy road. I was luck that I was able to restart after a few trys and get out of the way of on coming traffic. The car stalled two more times within one mile. Each time, I blocked traffic. I have read that this is a common problem with my vehicle. The car was towed to a dealer since I did not feel safe driving it any longer.

- Perris, CA, USA

Oct 032013

Charger 8-cyl

On or about 03 October 2013, the engine (5.7L hemi) stalled going at 30-35 mph. The engine service light came on, but disappeared when I restarted the engine. Since that day, I have experienced multiple engine stall incidents (about 10 times) usually at a traffic stop being idle or approaching a stop, and during reverse. In November, while cruising on a highway, the engine acted as if to stall again with all the lights and chiming on the evic on and off, but did not stall probably due to the momentum or inertia. At that time, I had my entire family (size of four) with me in the vehicle and feared for their safety. I went to multiple Chrysler dealers and service centers, but could not prevent the problem from reoccuring again. It appears from my online research and reading other complaints on NHTSA website that the symptoms I am experiencing are probably consistent with the faulty sensor in the fuel tank.

- Apo, AP, USA

Dec 292013

Charger 8-cyl

This is not the first time this has happened and this is flat out dangerous! after driving all day I was almost out of gas so I stopped at one of my regularly used gas stations. As like I always do when I get gas I got a full tank and I do not overfill, once the handle pops I'm done pumping. Vehicle started fine and I drove off the gas station with no problems. Once on the main road I approached my first turn and in mid turn going about 20mph my vehicle just stalled, no warning or nothing it just randomly stalled. Once the car rolled off the main street I put it in park and tried to start it up again. No luck, the vehicle wouldn't start. It took a few tries but managed to get it running again. To my surprise I didn't have a check engine light so I sat there for a while revving the engine and even shut it off and restarted it, everything seemed fine so I went on my way. Shortly after I drove off it happened again and this time I was just driving straight. From the gas station to my home is about 10min and in that short time frame the vehicle randomly stalled 4 times! this went on for a few days until my fuel lvl was about 3/4 full? after researching online on Dodge forums I was able to find out what may and most likely be the issue with my vehicle. Some say its a collapsed gas tank which affects a check valve in the gas tank that is for the evap system. When you have a full tank and the system opens up to release gas vapors back into the engine it's actually sending raw fuel back into the engine which in turn floods the vehicle and causes the stall. Of course this part can't be replaced or fixed since the tank and those parts are sold as one piece which is big $$$! my only fix for this until this is recalled is I don't get a full tank anymore. This is a serious and dangerous issue which should be recalled immediately before someone gets into a serious accident.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Dec 152013

Charger 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Dodge Charger. The contact stated that the vehicle would stall after refueling. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnostic testing. The contact was advised that the fuel tank valve was damaged and the fuel tank would need to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure and current mileage was 84,000. Updated 02/06/14

- East Hartford , CT, USA

Dec 232013

Charger 8-cyl

When gas tank is filled, car will stall a few blocks later. Dodge says the sensor in the gas tank is faulty and causes the system to suck gas backwards through the vapor recovery lines and deposit it into the engine, flooding the car. All power is lost to power steering, brakes, and drive train. If you are turning when this happens, it is very dangerous and will cause a crash. Total loss of control over the vehicle. Dealership and Dodge/Chrysler acknowledge the danger (I have the emails to prove it). They say it happens all the time and they will only help with fixing the problem if you (NHTSA) asks them to recall the cars. Note that the sensor inside the gas tank is the problem. The part can be replaced, but Dodge only sells the entire gas tank as an assembly, causing increased cost on those of us that experience this problem. We all asking you (the government) to help keep us and our families safe by requesting Dodge recall vehicles and replace this defective design. There is no way a simple vapor recovery sensor inside the gas tank should cause the gasoline to flow the wrong direction, resulting in a stall that produces complete loss of control over the vehicle. It is worse when performing turns (U-turns) or at turns. This is a danger to pedestrians, as the driver does not expect sudden loss of all power steering and brakes. The gas station's fuel pump cut off after accurately filling the tank and stopped when full. The tank is not over-full. It's a defective design (admitted by Dodge) that causes gasoline to be sucked up in the wrong direction, flooding the engine compartment with excess fuel. Please assist the taxpayers by keeping us safe and recalling the vehicles with this design to get the parts replaced with ones that will never fault out in the same manner.

- Boca Raton, FL, USA

Dec 142013

Charger 8-cyl

On 12-14-2013, I filled up the gas tank. I pulled out of the gas station and into traffic and stopped at a red light. While at the red light, vehicle stalled and oil light came on. Turned the corner at the red light and got into my parents subdivision and vehicle stalled again. Got the vehicle started and pulled into the driveway. On 12-15-2013, vehicle stalled close to parents driveway. Attempted to restart. Vehicle would not start on first attempt and on the second attempt, I had to press the accelerator to start the vehicle. Got it started and put the vehicle in the driveway. Notified the dealership the next day and had the vehicle towed. Dealership could not find problem right away and I asked them to look at the rollover (vent) valve in the gas tank. They checked the rollover (vent) valve and found that it was the problem. Got it repaired and the final cost was $1446.47.

- St. Peters, MO, USA

Nov 042013

Charger 8-cyl

I own a 2006 Dodge Charger srt8 with about 31,000 miles on it. I just got the vehicle on October 25, 2013 and have only had it for a month. A couple weeks after I had the car, I noticed a big problem. My engine would just shut of when I was idling. Usually this would happen when I was stuck in traffic, or at a red light, or at a stop sign at an intersection. The entire car would just shut down immediately and I would have no control over the vehicle. There was no way of being able to tell when this problem would occur because there were no early warning signs such as chugging or noises coming from the engine. It started getting really bad to the point where I need to get it fixed. I was researching online and reading forums and found that this is a known problem with Chrysler engines of this model. Hundreds if not thousands of people like myself have the same problem. Apparently, it is a faulty fuel vapor valve on the top of the fuel tank. The only way to repair it is to replace the entire fuel tank which is going to cost me well over $1000. I want to know why this isn't a safety recall and why it hasn't been.

- Simsbury, CT, USA