2006 Dodge Charger fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Dodge Charger:

2006 Dodge Charger Owner Comments (Page 9 of 11)

Sep 052013

Charger 8-cyl

I had just filled the gas tank and when I made a turn the engine died while I was turning. I put the car into neutral and attempted to start the car a few times and it finally started. When the engine failed the power steering was disabled and it made me almost hit another car who had to adjust his route so I would not have a collision with him. There is a strong odor of gas as well. I have had this problem before after filling the gas tank with the motor dying at a stop light. The check oil light comes on but not the check engine light. The motor only fails when I fill the gas tank more than 3/4 full. I have had a problem with the car cutting off after filling the tank completely for several years. To avoid this dangerous scenario I have had to estimate the gas remaining to adjust filling to about 3/4 of a tank. I understand after reading Dodge blogs that there is a very expensive fix for this by replacing the gas tank. I should not have to be in a position to only fill my tank 3/4 full to avoid a possible accident. This is clearly a defect that the manufacture is aware of after reading the hundreds if not thousands of complaints about this.

- Richmond, VA, USA

Sep 132006

Charger 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Dodge Charger. The contact stated that while at a stop, the vehicle stalled without warning. The contact mentioned that the failure would recur intermittently after refueling. The vehicle was not taken to a dealer for diagnostic testing or repairs. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 3,000 and the current mileage was 42,867..... updated 10-17-13 the consumer stated the engine stalling happened occasionally after re-fueling and driving a short distance, then coming to a stop or slowing to make turn.

- Covington, KY, USA

May 012013

Charger 8-cyl

After filling the fuel tank the vehicle began to sputter and hesitate. This happened within several miles of the gas station. I thought it was bad fuel. Later after filling up at a different gas station the same thing occurred. The third or fourth time this happened the vehicle sputtered and died and the oil service light came on. This last incident occurred as I was heading for a busy highway. I took the vehicle to a Chrysler service dept. Where I was told that I would need a new gas tank to fix the problem as one of the parts that failed was part of the gas tank. I asked what would cause this and was told that the tank is a "wishbone" design that straddles the drive shaft and over time the tank sagged on the outer ends causing the problem. The problem stops after the gas level goes down. I no longer fill the tank all the way and the sputtering hasn't happened again. I don't over fill the tank and I don't let the vehicle run while fueling. A dangerous problem.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Aug 142013

Charger 8-cyl

Minutes after filling my tank with gas, I drove less than a mile and turned into a parking lot. I was still driving, around 15 mph, when I heard a ding, and immediately noticed a loss of steering control. I pressed the brake and quickly noticed a loss of braking as well. It was then I realized the car had stalled while I was still moving! thankfully I had no one around and was on a straight stretch where I could slowly come to a stop, put it in park and restart. I pulled into a parking space, and the car proceeded to stall out 2 more times just sitting there. There was no warning symptoms ahead of time - perfectly smooth idle at the correct RPM, then it just drops to 0 as if the key were turned off. I ran into the store for less than 2 minutes, came out and drove home. I haven't seen any problems since then (this happened less than 24 hours ago). There were no codes thrown. I've owned this car since '07 when it had 5K miles on it. With a little over 88K miles I've never seen anything like this happen before. Needless to say if this happened in traffic it would be highly dangerous. Note: This is a 2006 daytona R/T. early manufacture date of 9/22/2005.

- Stratham, NH, USA

Aug 132013

Charger 8-cyl

After filling my car up at a gas station I was entering the freeway and my car sputtered and stalled on me on the on ramp to the freeway. I was almost rear ended and the car locked up and it was difficult to steer. Further diagnoses from the dealership showed that the evap valve was bad on the car and needed a new gas tank. Apparently this problem is happening with a lot of Dodge Chargers, magnums and Chrysler 300's.

- Chandler, AZ, USA

Aug 062013

Charger 8-cyl

Stalling happens after fuel up. Stalling at high speeds while acceleration and while stopped at stop lights. Looses power instantly on freeway the kicks back in.

- Provo, UT, USA

Jan 022013

Charger 8-cyl

After filling up my gas tank with fuel I drove my car about 16 miles and it stalled out, I put it in neutral and it did start back up. Next day I took my car to the dealership and my adviser asked me if I topped off my tank after filling up and I said yes, so he told me not to do that because the 06 model Chargers have a defect with the gas tanks that cause's the car to stall out after topping it off. I took his advise and my car didn't stall out for about 7 month's. on 08/01/13 I filled up my gas tank without topping it off, got on the highway drove about 16 miles again and exited, as I was making a left turn the car stalled out again and it did that two more times as I was driving it to the dealership. This time my adviser told me to only fill up 3/4 of a tank.the cost for this repair is ridiculous and the customers who paid 30K to 45K for these cars should not be stuck with the bill. There should be a urgent recall on all of these cars before someone gets hurt or turn's into road kill on the highway.

- Los Angeles, CA, USA

Jul 302013

Charger 8-cyl

After filling up the gas tank the vehicle stalls after driving a short distance. Has done this numerous times. It will sputter for some time and continue to cut off several times before driving smoothly. I took it to the dealership, and they stated that it was a faulty gas tank. After removing the gas tank, I received a phone call from the dealership later that day. They advised me that the fuel pump was cracked. The total cost went from $1300 to an additional $300.

- Katy, TX, USA

Jul 262013

Charger 8-cyl

2006 Dodge Charger R/T (close to 70K miles) failed to accelerate shortly after fuel tank was partially filled (3/4 of gas tank). Incident occurred when making a left turn on a 2 way/double lane city street. As I proceeded to make a left turn when a clear section of oncoming traffic was present, the vehicle suddenly stalled in the middle of the opposite "oncoming" traffic and failed to accelerate. In order to achieve proper acceleration, I had to restart the vehicle (while oncoming traffic was forced to stop, abruptly). Fortunately the incident did not involve any injuries nor fatalities. Therefore the reason why this safety complaint is being submitted. No previous signs of this issue was ever noticed, nor did it happened before.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Jun 062013

Charger 8-cyl

After refueling of vehicle and driving from gas station vehicle stalls and hard to start. After researching this issue on the internet it appears this is a common issue with this make and model. Now when trying to refuel the vehicle the pump kicks off every few seconds, unable to refuel at a gas station at this point. Only way to refuel at this point is by using a five gallon gas can so that the air can escape the gas tank through the gas tank filler tube. Took the vehicle to the dealership and was told the check valve on the gas evap system is defective which is intergrated within the gas tank. Dealership told me they have seen this many times and the check valve cannot be replaced. To correct the problem a new gas tank will need to be installed at a cost of $1,350.

- Lake Dallas, TX, USA

Jul 232013

Charger 8-cyl

When I got into the car to leave work I could not get it out of park. I got a ride home and returned the next day and called the Dodge dealership. They said they have had this happen numerous times and that it could happen anywhere. One of the mechanics had it happen when he stopped for fuel. The part cost $7 and the labor is $175. I feel I was fortunate that it did not happen while I had my infant grandkids with me and that it happened at work, so at least I was not stranded somewhere alone. Evidently Dodge is aware of the problem because the mechanic said they used to have to replace the whole shift mechanism and now Dodge has come out with a cheaper part to fix it. It evidently doesn't have anything to do with the year because they said they have had it happen on brand new vehicles as well as older models.

- Puxico, MO, USA

Dec 212012

Charger 8-cyl

After filling up my fuel tank up for the first time the car was hard to restart. Once the car started the she kept cutting out and even died twice. This happened while I was in traffic. Since that time every time I filled the tank I have the same issue. I have had to resort to only filling the car up to 3/4 tank to avoid this issue.

- Franklin, OH, USA

May 142013

Charger 8-cyl

While driving on the interstate at a low rate of speed due to traffic....engine stalled and shut off. Engine started again on re-start. I had recently purchased full tank of fuel this happened again today...6 - 26 - 13....again at low speed due to morning traffic...started again on re-start....purchased tank of gas again yesterday...both time from different station.

- Mount Olive, AL, USA

May 172013

Charger 8-cyl

Vehicle stalls after refueling and pulling out of the gas station (into traffic). Then, it is hard to start and sputters and stalls for some time. It appears to be an issue with the fuel tank vent valve failing to shut off when the tank if full. This allows raw fuel to enter the evaporation system which probably ruins the evaporation canister as well. The fuel tank vent valve is integrated into the fuel tank so, the fuel tank has to be replaced in order to fix the primary issue. Other components in the evaporation system may need to be replaced as they were not designed to have raw fuel in them.

- Milford, DE, USA

Apr 052013

Charger 8-cyl

After filling my car at the gas station, car would stall during acceleration immediately filling gas tank. It would choke or try to cut off when approaching a stop light or stop sign. Sometimes eventually shutting off in the middle of road, requiring multiple key turns to get vehicle started again.

- North Charleston , SC, USA

Jun 022011

Charger 8-cyl

Car has repeatedly stalled after filling up the car with gas. Car stalls in traffic with no warning. Takes about 10 miles on the odometer until it clears up. There are many others with this problem. It is documented on the internet from other people having the exact same problem.

- Katy, TX, USA

Apr 162013

Charger 8-cyl

Vehicle stalled when driving shortly after fueling. Engine started again after cranking for several seconds, but strong smell of gasoline after starting. No further problems with the vehicle until the next refuel. This has been happening repeatedly after refueling ever since the original incident on the date given. This may have been happening periodically over the past 2 years, but before this it was infrequent enough that we really didn't pay any attention to it. We never top off the tank, stopping fueling after the nozzle initially clicks off.

- Lexington, KY, USA

Apr 022013

Charger 8-cyl

As I was driving across the desert on I-10 in Arizona, all of a sudden my car lost all engine power. The lights on the dash chimed, my rpms dropped to zero, then just as suddenly they all went right back to normal and the engine jerked us forward as the tranny figured out what gear it belonged in. It started like that, only happening on occasion. Now, I can't make it more than 1-2 miles (literally) without stalling out or losing engine fire. If it happens when I'm at a low mph the car just stalls out and died. No power steering or brakes, but the lights and radio are working. On the hwy at higher speeds, it lurches as described above. On the on-ramp, however, it becomes a life or death situation, especially when starting on a downhill ramp with a big rig wailing up behind me. I have been missed by truly only inches on multiple occasions. I can't afford a new car, they can't find what's wrong with mine, and I can't sell a vehicle that won't make it for a test drive. Can we please get a fix" answers? wasn't it my tax dollars that bought this company out of bankruptcy"

- Tucson, AZ, USA

Feb 252013

Charger 8-cyl

Filled gas tank till the pump auto shut off. Pulled out onto the highway, accelerated to about 20 mph, let off to turn at next intersection and car stalled. Restarted and pulled into a parking lot and the car stalled again. Waited 10 minutes and restarted, ran rough until got back on interstate. Has happened again on 6/6/2013.

- Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

Mar 242013

Charger 8-cyl

After filling my car up with gas, I turned the car on so I could leave the lot. After it ran for about 3 seconds, the car completely stalled. I waited a moment or so, and then re-started the car. It did stay up longer this time, but eventually stalled out about a minute later. I restarted the car again, and was able to get out of the gas station lot. Once I pulled up to the light, the car then stalled out. On a fourth restart, I made sure to keep the car in motion as it seems to experience some sort of vapor lock. While the car did sputter, I was able to get to work safely. I only experience this issue if the car is fully gassed up. If I hear a hissing sound from the tank, I know that the car is not going to stay started.

- Columbia, SC, USA