2.2

2006 Dodge Charger steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Dodge Charger:

2006 Dodge Charger Owner Comments (Page 2 of 4)

Mar 032014

Charger 8-cyl

After filling the gas tank up, I left the gas station and the car stalled out 7 times. This continues to happen every time I fill the tank up. The steering also goes out. The car has a hard time starting back up once it happens. It happened on the highway also.

- Baltimore, MD, USA

Apr 232014

Charger 8-cyl

Right after leaving the gas station from filling up my cars' gas tank my engine stalled when I came to a stop on a very busy intersection. I was able to start it again but it turned off on me again, repeated the process twice until the light changed and I was able to make it home. Drove around my neighborhood making multiple stops to see it if happened again in which the engine only turned off once more.

- Kansas City, KS, USA

Jan 152014

Charger 8-cyl

Reference PE13-016 after filling up the fuel tank, very shortly driving down the road the car will stall. This has happened at least 4 times now and with other incidents of the vehicle trying to stall at high speeds on the interstate (65-70 mph), with at least 2 incidents at an intersection where I fill up at a station frequently. This is a huge safety concern, if this does happen as I am going through an intersection with a loss of brakes or steering, it could easily result in an accident and injury.

- Broad Run, VA, USA

Feb 052014

Charger 8-cyl

Vehicle stalled after refueling, in traffic.

- Kansas City, MO, USA

Mar 182013

Charger 8-cyl

Vehicle stalls several times immediately after fueling. I am not topping off the tank, or even completely filling the tank. This happens every time I put gas in the car.

- Griffin , GA, USA

Apr 022014

Charger

Had my vehicle in for routine maintenance. I have been noticing clunking from the steering wheel and shaking problems at highway speeds. Dealer inspected car and found left and right ball joints cracked and broken power steering line, along with a broken tie rod on the left side. I find this very difficult to digest as the car doesn't even have 25,000 miles on it, it is never driven in snow, and is constantly in my garage. This car is driven on average of 4,000 miles a year, and mainly on the interstate when it is driven. Now I am facing a $1500 repair bill to replace these parts. After doing some research, I have found others have needed to do this same repair numerous times on their vehicles as well. I think Chrysler should step forward and admit that these parts are defective. There aren't even any lubrication zerks to help prevent future issues with this. Now that spring is here I wanted to get the car ready for summer, now we are afraid to drive it until it gets fixed, but according to what I have found, I can expect to have this done again in another 25,000 miles. I don't think this is right.

- Niles, IL, USA

Jan 012014

Charger 8-cyl

Immediately after fueling vehicle to regular capacity and automatic shutoff - no "topping off". left the filling station and the car stalled several times, each time in a precarious position such as decelerating to make a turn or coming to a stop at a light. Car dies losing power steering and breaks. Thought this might be bad gas but it has since repeated every time the car is refueled. This is becoming a serious safely concern as the condition is common during the first 50 or so miles of driving after a fill up. Upon speaking with the dealer they blamed the issue on the end user overfilling the tank. As the only user of the vehicle it is never overfilled nor "topped off".

- O Fallon, MO, USA

Jan 012014

- O Fallon, MO, USA

Feb 032011

Charger 8-cyl

After filling up the gas tank, within minutes I was turning left in an intersection when the engine stopped and the steering became very difficult and an accident was barely avoided. This was extremely dangerous because of oncoming traffic. In fact I was almost struck by two vehicles, one coming at me and the other behind me. I restarted the car, drove through the intersection for about 5-10 seconds and the car stopped again, same steering difficulties. Started the car a third time and it moved forward with no more stops. This has happened at least 20 more time in the past 3 years. Additionally, within the past 6 months, it has been very difficult to put fuel into the tank. It would take about 20 minutes because the nozzle would shut off. I could only put in very small amounts each squeeze of the handle. I find this not only annoying but also question the design of the whole fuel receiving and storage system of this vehicle. I have asked my local Dodge dealership about the problems and was advised that a new gas tank would have to be installed for approximately $1,200! a new gas tank? that would confirm in my mind that these problems are caused absolutely by a design flaw and should be recalled and repaired asap before there are fatalities linked to this flaw.

- Orlando, FL, USA

Aug 012013

Charger

So my car began to stall after filling it up with gas. Most of the time it stalled while stopped. A few times while in motion. Since the car dies I have lost power steering.

- Sunnyvale, CA, USA

Jul 282013

Charger 8-cyl

After filling gas tank, engine hesitates and/or stalls. I only fill up until the fuel pump automatically shuts off, I do not add any more fuel than that. This has happened almost every time I have filled up with fuel. Most of the stalling/hesitation occurs when coasting or decelerating (coming to a stop). This has created multiple very dangerous situations due to the engine not running and I have a loss of the power assist to the steering. Occasionally the engine has a difficult time restarting after the engine stalls. This will occur approximately 4-8 times after a fill-up of fuel.

- Carpentersville, IL, USA

Jan 262013

Charger

This isn't the 1st time that the engine has stalled after filling the fuel tank. Most recent episode happened as I was preparing to enter the gas stations drive-thru car wash...I had my foot on the brake to enter the code for the wash and just as I started to move forward the engine stalled. Happened a couple of months ago on the public right of way, I was stopped at a red light (just after a fuel up and just before I was about to enter the freeway). Another time I was in motion and it stalled in the middle of a busy intersection. The stalling affects the transmission. The engine is warm when this occurs. It takes about 3 attempts to successfully restart.

- Indio, CA, USA

Feb 022014

Charger 8-cyl

After fueling my Dodge Charger, I drove down the road from the gas station and my car stalled. It started a few attempts later. This is the 5th time it has occurred.

- Hulmeville, PA, USA

Jan 292014

Charger

Within blocks of leaving a fuel station and filling with fuel the vehicle stumbled then the engine died while traveling 35 mph on a city stream in the rain. Car was difficult to stop because of no power steering or power brakes.

- Dunnigan, CA, USA

Jan 282014

Charger 8-cyl

The car suddenly stalled and engine turned off. The steering was locked and was unable to move. I was turning into my subdivision when suddenly this happened. I was probably around 5 mph. Luckily there was no car behind me. I was able to put the car in park and start it and drive home without issue. The second time it got stalled when the same day I had to take my son to one of his class. When I was stopped at the light, the car stalled. This time it took few tries to get the car started. Once it started, the RPM was fluctuating as if it was starving for fuel. Since other complains have references to this happening after filling up gas, I want to mentioned that I had filled the gas the day before and I must have drove 20 or so miles before this happened first time.

- Cary, NC, USA

Jan 162014

Charger

I had just filled my gas tank and pulled on to a busy road. As I approached the stoplight the vehicle just died. It did not start right back up, it took 3 different tries. This has now happened 4 times. All times were after I filled up at the gas station.

- Las Vegas, NV, USA

Dec 292013

Charger 8-cyl

This is not the first time this has happened and this is flat out dangerous! after driving all day I was almost out of gas so I stopped at one of my regularly used gas stations. As like I always do when I get gas I got a full tank and I do not overfill, once the handle pops I'm done pumping. Vehicle started fine and I drove off the gas station with no problems. Once on the main road I approached my first turn and in mid turn going about 20mph my vehicle just stalled, no warning or nothing it just randomly stalled. Once the car rolled off the main street I put it in park and tried to start it up again. No luck, the vehicle wouldn't start. It took a few tries but managed to get it running again. To my surprise I didn't have a check engine light so I sat there for a while revving the engine and even shut it off and restarted it, everything seemed fine so I went on my way. Shortly after I drove off it happened again and this time I was just driving straight. From the gas station to my home is about 10min and in that short time frame the vehicle randomly stalled 4 times! this went on for a few days until my fuel lvl was about 3/4 full? after researching online on Dodge forums I was able to find out what may and most likely be the issue with my vehicle. Some say its a collapsed gas tank which affects a check valve in the gas tank that is for the evap system. When you have a full tank and the system opens up to release gas vapors back into the engine it's actually sending raw fuel back into the engine which in turn floods the vehicle and causes the stall. Of course this part can't be replaced or fixed since the tank and those parts are sold as one piece which is big $$$! my only fix for this until this is recalled is I don't get a full tank anymore. This is a serious and dangerous issue which should be recalled immediately before someone gets into a serious accident.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Nov 012010

Charger

Problem occurred and continues to occur after filling up the gas tank. First instance was in November 2010 and most recently December 2013. Car will stall numerous times until some amount of gas is burned off after driving. First instance occurred making a turn in front of a railroad track. Other instances have been on a freeway in heavy traffic causing me to have to pull over. Car can restart on the first re-attempt or take up to 4 attempts. Car will usually stall again seconds later. A workaround is not to fill up the tank all the way (to the auto shutoff of the gas pump) but this doesn't always work. This is with a 2006 Dodge Charger with a 5.7 liter hemi. Chrysler denied the issue back in 2010 although the problem was starting to be documented on the internet at that time.

- Fort Worth, TX, USA

Dec 172013

Charger 8-cyl

Vehicle stalled multiple times while coming to a stop. Hard to start after stalling. Just filled the gas tank, and car stalled two or three times getting from the gas station to home. Car stalled the next morning three times, again hard to start.

- Union City, CA, USA

Dec 022013

Charger

Fueled the car, car stalled several times while driving. Happens each time car is fueled. I have tried fueling slowly, and fueling small amounts, nothing works. Car will stall 2-3 times either while sitting or while driving.

- Hardin, IL, USA