2006 Dodge Charger steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Dodge Charger:

2006 Dodge Charger Owner Comments (Page 3 of 4)

Dec 032013

Charger 8-cyl

Car stalled at stop light. Took a few tries to get started again. This happens after refueling the car. This is not the first time this has occurred, I am irritated that it keeps happening.

- St. Peters, MO, USA

Nov 142013

Charger 8-cyl

While I was driving approximately 35 mph my vehicle suddenly stalled causing me to lose power to the motor and power to the steering and brakes. I had to quickly pull off to the side of the road as the traffic was heavy and I had no power to control my car. This was a dangerous situation and I fear it may happen again. I have read about (Dodge Charger forum) many other owners of similar vehicles that this problem occurs shortly after you fill up the gas tank. I did just fill the gas tank prior to my car stalling incident. I feel this is a dangerous defect that develops on this vehicle and it needs to be looked into immediately.

- Orchard Park, NY, USA

Nov 222011

Charger 8-cyl

Every time you fill up the gas tank the car wants to stall. I'm told there is a solenoid in the gas tank that fails and it lets raw fuel go to the evap canister causing a stall condition. This solenoid valve is molded into the gas tank and the only way to fix it is to replace the gas tank. This stall can happen while your sitting at a stop light or just pulling out into an intersection. The intersection situation is very dangerous.

- Bartonville, IL, USA

Aug 152012

Charger 8-cyl

Nearly every time I refuel the vehicle it stalls 4-6 times in the first 5 miles. This has left me in turns without power steering, on highway on ramps without power steering or brakes, and sitting in busy intersections attempting to re-start the car. It is worse if I turn left after gassing up - car will immediately die while in the intersection. This has happened approximately 30 times in the last 10 months.

- El Cajon, CA, USA

Dec 212012

Charger 8-cyl

Stall/die/shut off after fill up under normal driving conditions while in drive and in motion. Only happens right after fill up. Once you burn some of the fuel out of the tank, it returns to normal.

- Prairieville, LA, USA

Apr 012013

Charger 8-cyl

Immediately after fueling, the vehicle stalled while leaving the gas station and lost all belt driven components as a result - power steering, A/C, etc. The vehicle subsequently stalled several more times while driving, and exhibited labored acceleration in between. This was the first incident and has been repeated every time it was refueled until pump shut off since, regardless of different gas stations and fuels.

- Alexandria, VA, USA

Apr 112013

Charger 6-cyl

In the last year I have had to have the front tie rods replaced three time.

- Hueytown, AL, USA

Dec 152007

Our 2006 Dodge Charger was showing symptoms of the wheels being out of alignment, and we had it checked out by a mechanic. We knew what he was going to say before he came back with his assessment; its the tie rods once again. We have had problems with the tie rods on this car from the 3rd month of owning it. We have had it fixed by the dealer 3 times along with new brakes and tires at the cost of $2,000 each time. We drive 20 miles a day to and from work, there is no reason for the tie rods to be replaced. I have complained to the dealership and they told me that it is an issue that we will continue to have and there is nothing we can do about it. He had 4 Chargers in that day with the same issue. I contacted Chrysler 2 days ago because we need to have the tie rods fixed for the 4th time. They told me they would forward my complaint to the product development team. Chrysler needs to own up to the defective products they are selling! I'm afraid for our family of 4 to ride in this car. Do people have to die before an investigation is warranted? I want to get rid of this car but I hate to pawn it off on another family, its dangerous! please do an investigation, and ask dealerships and mechanics how many defective tie rods they place on these cars a day.

- St. Louis, MO, USA

Feb 162012

Charger 8-cyl

I was ready to leave work for the night and my car would not shift out of park we tried to use the emergency release button on the side of the gear shift but it didn't work.I called a mechanic and he came out googled the problem and saw that it may have been a shifter assembly defect, as he looked at the assembly there was noted to B a cable wire the was also dislodged, he advised me to have the car towed to a Dodge dealer for repair.the car was taken to the dealership and the entire shifter assembly and cable had to be installed.

- Emporia, VA, USA

Apr 102011

The contact owns a 2006 Dodge Charger. The contact stated that while driving 25 mph, the power steering assist failed followed by the vehicle stalling. The failure recurred numerous times. The vehicle was taken to a dealer for diagnosis and the contact was informed that the fuel tank would need to be replaced. The manufacturer was notified and they offered to cover seventy-five percent of the repair cost. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 75,000 and the current mileage was 102,000.

- Allen, TX, USA

Oct 242008

Charger 8-cyl

I purchased my Dodge Charger in August of 06. At 22,316 miles, I started experiencing a clunking in the front end. The left outer tie rod needed to be replaced. It was covered by the warranty. I purchased the extended warranty for 5/50,000. At 51,972 the clunking returned. The remaining tie rods, inner and outer, including the one that was replaced at 22,316 had to be replaced. As of now my car has 67,800 miles on it and in between 51,972 and 67,800 miles, the clunking has returned several times. I have had a left control arm, lower ball joint, sway bar link, control arm bushings, rt and lt tension struts and sway bar bushings all replaced. I think for a car with only 67,000 miles on it...... this is way too many problems, especially when all the problems are in one area of the car. It sure would be great if Dodge would own up to these front end problems and stand by their product and help the american consumers out with the repair bills.

- Niles, MI, USA

Feb 012012

After fueling my 2006 Dodge Charger R/T, the car will begin to sputter and completely shut-off. This results in the loss of power steering and having to put the car into park in order to restart. It will occur multiple times, sometimes while idling, before it will begin to act has been happening for several months. At first, it was sporadic but now it is everytime I fill up the gas tank. It can be very dangerous as it can happen anytime and without warning.

- Chino, CA, USA

Dec 022008

The contact owns a 2006 Dodge Charger. The contact stated that the power steering assist failed and the steering wheel completely detached from the steering column. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic who diagnosed that the tie rod on the front passenger side was cracked. As a result, the inner and outer tie rods, as well as the control arm would need replacing. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure who did not offer any assistance. The vehicle was not repaired. The VIN was not available. The failure mileage was 85,000 and the current mileage was 114,000.

- Arlington Heights , IL, USA

Aug 172012

The contact owns a 2006 Dodge Charger. The contact stated that the vehicle was taken to a repair shop and while being test driven, the mechanic found a failure with the steering. The mechanic stated that the vehicle had a telescopic steering system. As a result, whenever it was in a forward position the vehicle failed to turn since it was in contact with a metal piece. The vehicle was taken to dealer. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure and current mileage was 97,065.

- Algonac, MI, USA

Oct 192011

I bought my 2006 Dodge Charger R/T brand new in June of 2006. I always filled the tank with gas until the pump automatically shutoff. I never topped off with gas or continued filling the tank once the pump would automatically stop. This was never a problem for 5 years. Last year in October of 2011 at around 73,000 miles the car would stall and turn off the engine occasionally right after filling up in live traffic usually at a stop light or parking lot driveway. I would have to put the transmission shifter from drive to park since the vehicle shut off and restart the car with no problem. Today at 75,600 miles on March 27, 2012; I filled up as usual and the car engine turned off in traffic on 3 different occasions. I read on Chrysler owners' forums online this is a common problem with plenty of Chrysler vehicles and Chrysler is aware of it. The fix is a whole new fuel tank with a better fuel vapor valve and the cost would run $1300-$2000 for various car, van, and truck owners. The only other method I was advised by a Dodge service advisor was not to fill the car up all the way, perhaps to 3/4 of a tank full. This is dangerous for any driver when a car engine stops, steering locks, and there is traffic behind you. Some drivers will not know how to react in this situation. Chrysler should offer a recall to fix this problem with the gas tank instead of charging the owner.

- Antelope, CA, USA

Oct 122006

The problem started when I bought it brand new and kept bringing back to the dealer. Failure to find problem. Notice a lot of other customers having the same problem. Brought car to an expert and found the suspension which includes shocks, struts, brakes etc. Were not the right part for this model. Expert changed necessary parts and have not had a problem there after. Expert did research and dealer wanted to know what he did to fix it and he would not comply. They should do the research and fix the problem. I hope everyone files a complaint and I would tell Dodge they fix it or I will file a defect lawsuit for complete refund of a $42,000 car plus inconvenience.

- Lafayette, LA, USA

Nov 142011

Charger 6-cyl

At certain speeds my vehicle will vibrate. Going over speed bumps or into even the slightest pot hole the vehicle will vibrate. When slowing down or coming to a stop the front end will vibrate. Took the vehicle to the dealership and they advised my front tires needed to be changed and/or rotated to the back due to an unusual wearing on the tires. The wear was on the outisde of the tires. When took the vehicle back into Chrysler Dodge Jeep dealer service department they advised I will probably soon be needing new tire rod ends and this is what may have caused my front tires to wear so easily. Especially purchasing the car used in July 2010 with all brand new tires and now needing to replace all four and its only December 2011. Service department manager advised this was a big issue with the early model Chargers but Chrysler still has yet to issue a recall. I prolonged taking the vehicle in to purchase new tire rods. I went in recently for an oil change and the service manager advised me I no longer need to be driving my vehicle with the rods I have on. It was a recommendation earlier but now he is highly advising me not to drive. Within 3 oil changes the rods have diminished greatly. Something needs to be done Chrysler is letting the purchasers take the butt-end of this issue.

- St Marys, GA, USA

Mar 262010

Charger 8-cyl

At 18,500 we had to replace the left front outer tie rod end. Now at 33,000 we are being told the same thing. I have on line and see that there are quite a few others with this same problem. This is a serious issue and would like something done as far as a review or something. One gentleman was going 55 mph when his broke and they crashed. I don't want this to be me nor do we have over $400 to put towards this car every 15K miles.

- Madison, WI, USA

Nov 092011

Charger 8-cyl

I took my car in to the dealer for an alignment and they had to replace the tie rod assembly on both wheels. My car had just turned 50,000 miles.

- Wichita, KS, USA

Apr 042011

The contact owns a 2006 Dodge Charger. The contact stated that the tie rod that controlled the steering fractured while driving 40 mph around a curve. There was a clunking noise which caused the steering to become uncontrollable. The vehicle had to be pulled to the curb while the contact pumped the brake pedal to come to a complete stop. After the vehicle was stopped, the front driver side tire was protruding inward. The vehicle was towed to a repair shop where the contact was awaiting diagnosis of the failure. Neither the dealer nor the manufacturer werr contacted. The failure mileage was 113,163.

- Mcconough, GA, USA