2.2

2006 Dodge Charger steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Dodge Charger:

2006 Dodge Charger Owner Comments (Page 1 of 4)

Feb 032015

Charger

Car stalls and engine shuts down, loss of steering while either sitting still or driving at higher speeds. This has happened on numerous occasions after adding fuel to the car.

- Augusta, GA, USA

Dec 042012

Charger

The contact owns a 2006 Dodge Charger. The contact stated that the there was an abnormal noise coming from the brakes and there was an abnormal smell near the tie rod. In addition, the vehicle could not be shifted out of park. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the tie rod needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 15V313000 (air bags) however, the part to do the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 59,300.

- Seminole, FL, USA

Sep 252014

Charger

When driving the engine will suddenly shut down with no fore warning. The gas peddle will go to the floor, all steering functions will be removed. The vehicle locks from 70 to 0 in a matter of seconds!!! shortly after the vehicle will restart. Thus far, numerous mechanics has not been able to discover the problem.

- Romulus , MI, USA

Sep 122015

Charger

After fueling, leaving station, turn corner car stalls. Starts back up drive a little bit stalls again, trying to put into gear wouldn't shift, finally got it home. Had the same problem about 2yr ago, took it in he cleaned something in the engine, bill was $400 something, now happening again

- Placerville, CA, USA

May 012015

Charger

As I came to a complete stop, chimes when off in the car then the car just completely shut off. I restarted and car drove fine. The exact set of incidents happened several times a day over a course of a few months. I took the vehicle into a local Dodge dealer. After spending thousands of dollars getting, tcm, ECM, major tune-up, spark plug coils, sensors repaired the problem still persisted. I have had over three different repair shops attempt to diagnose this issue and no one could figure it out. I noticed that the problem occurred even more frequently after filling up at the gas station. Driving like this makes me feel very unsafe. This car has stalled numerous times in rush hour traffic and in freeway traffic. After reading several online threads it appears that other 06 Charger owners are experiencing the same issues and it tends to point to a faulty sensor in the fuel tank. I need this matter resolved. This is very unsafe.

- Tampa, FL, USA

Jul 152015

Charger

When merging onto the freeway upon slight acceleration the engine died, in front of a semi truck! we had no power steering or brakes! this is a huge safety issue!! we were lucky to not have crashed. I then turned key to off and restarted to resolve the issue. This has happened 6 more times at lower speeds I.e. 15mph, 20, 30 mph ranges, with no check engine light!" brought it into mechanic and they couldn't find the issue, car had no codes. They suggested replacing the crank position sensor. We did that and it was fine.. for 15 miles until it died again!!! still no codes, dealer wont help, I can't drive the car as it is unsafe. I did some internet searches. Found about a known issue with the fuel evap system and the fuel tank and filler neck. These faulty parts cause the car to read false rich signals and causes the engine to run leaner. So now, lack of appropriate fuel upon acceleration causes the engine to stall and lose effected drive systems. This is ludicrous from Chrysler how many deaths has this caused!?!"

- Arroyo Grande, CA, USA

Jul 172015

Charger

While driving on the highway in traffic at approximately 70 mph the car stalled with no check engine light or engine misfire/stuttering. The stall was as if the key was turned to the off position. The car coasted to the side of the road, restart was attempted and the car started perfectly, I continued to drive. The car stalled again after a few miles, restarted and it stalled again - this continued, each time with the time driven being less. All this time the check engine light did not illuminate. I finally made it to a shop where the car was diagnosed and the crankshaft position sensor and camshaft position sensor was replaced. This did not solve the stalling issue. The car will have the PCM replaced in hope that this will solve the problem. This is a very unsafe failure especially when traveling at high speeds - the car loses all power and is very difficult to move into the shoulder when it stalls (no power steering). This is a very serious safety concern that can be catastrophic.

- Haslet, TX, USA

Sep 102014

Charger 8-cyl

I filled up with gas in California when on vacation. I pulled out of the gas station and onto the freeway. About a minute after merging and getting up to speed the entire car shut off. No power, no power steering, completely died. I had to merge through two lanes of highway traffic at highway speeds to get out of the flow of traffic. Car was able to restart after putting it in park and waiting several minutes. Huge safety concern having the vehicle completely shut off on me. I have had four other instances of this happen to me. The other times I was on side streets or in the parking lot waiting for the car to die.

- Phoenix, AZ, USA

Sep 142014

Charger 8-cyl

This incident started occurring in September of 2014 but I always thought it was a "hiccup" and never really paid it any mind until it starting happening much more frequently. After I fill up my gas tank (I don't over fill) my car has intermittent engine stalls causing me to lose throttle response and my power steering. Sometimes the car has enough RPM to restart the motor but most of the time I have to shift to neutral and turn the key to restart. This is happening while driving down the interstate!! scares me to death. Now I have this stalling issue every single time I fill up. When slowing down is when the incident is most prevalent but even taking turns its happened and I lose power steering. This is a safety issue.

- Winter Garden, FL, USA

Jan 252015

Charger 8-cyl

After filling tank 2006 Dodge Charger rt V8 stalled multiple times. First two still sitting at pump, next at intersection while turning right and also lost power steering, next at parking space while straightening out. Serious safety hazard, especially at intersections or stalling in traffic. Found NHTSA PE13016 regarding this issue, but I see it is closed and was only issued to certain vins. All affected models should be covered for the tank replacement and associated 'float' and vapor purge valve.

- White Bear Lake, MN, USA

Jan 082015

Charger 8-cyl

My 2006 Dodge Charger has began to stall after a gas fill-up. It is very scary because it does not matter how fast you are driving. I had it stall about 5 times after filling up today. One in which I was going 40 mph. The steering wheel locks up and it is very dangerous. I am very concerned for the safety if myself and family.

- Vacaville, CA, USA

Nov 152014

Charger

The contact owns a 2006 Dodge Charger. While driving approximately 15 mph and approaching a stop sign, the headlights flashed off and on and a pop sound emitted from the brake pedal. The contact attempted to accelerate, but an abnormal sound emitted from the rear tires and smoke appeared. Also, the ABS light illuminated and the power steering and power brakes failed. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 110,000.

- Turlock, CA, USA

Jul 142014

Charger 8-cyl

While driving, I heard a chime, and the engine oil symbol came on, the steering wheel locked and the vehicle stopped. (bearing in mind the vehicle was serviced just two weeks prior ). I have taken it to local Dodge service and they did not find the problem. This happened since five times. At the local service when it happened on the third time the infact kept it until the problem was duplicated. However, they argued since they were no longer certified Dodge dealer they were not able to fix the vehicle. Under there own management they took it to a certified Dodge dealer. The dealer had it said he did computer updates 5 days later the problem occurred again.

- Laurel , MD, USA

Apr 092014

Charger

It is hard starting and will stall anywhere between 0 to 45 mph. When it starts rough it will not go forward or reverse without stalling. It seems to be worse after filling the gas tank. When the car stalls it does so with no warning and can leave you with no power steering or brakes. It did it off and on at first but now does almost every time I run it. I took it to a Dodge dealer and gave him a copy of the lifetime warranty gas tank problem and told him of the symptoms of the car. He ignored me and did 4 flashes on the car plus $110 of "cleanup" work on the car and told me it was fixed. On the way home it stalled in the middle of the highway while my wife was driving and she had no steering. The dealer paperwork said they pulled up 4 codes on the car's computer, which I got none of when I ran my code reader on it before taking it to them. One of the reported codes does not even show on the chart and another one was a "C" code for a chasse problem. Upon getting the car home, after stalling several times on the way home, I called the bank and stopped the payment for the work they say they did. I have another appointment with the dealer I bought the car from (farther away) but how do I get them to do the repair I want, not what they feel like doing? thanks.

- Venice, FL, USA

Jun 182014

Charger

I was driving on the main road going around 45 mph. Then my car stalls in the middle of the road as if I wasn't in drive. I continue to push the gas and make I was in drive and nothing happened. I tried to pull of the road but my car would not move. As I put the car in park the car continue to roll. I had to sit with my foot on the break until the tow truck came to tow my car. Had my car worked on paid $1500 dollars and I'm still having the same problem the car want go in gear or it just stalls. So far I have had my car towed 6 times since June.

- Knoxville, TN, USA

May 242014

Charger

I filled up with gas, pulled out of the gas station onto the expressway on ramp and the engine died. I rolled to the shoulder and after about 10 minutes it would finally start. It stalled a few more times then finally it would run long enough to get me home.

- Loveland, OH, USA

May 192014

Charger 8-cyl

My car completely shut off when I pulled into the turning lane. The steering wheel locked up and I had no control. Once at a complete stop, I was able to start the car normally and everything was normal. This has happened to me previously but I was actually driving at a higher speed and with my child inside!!. apparently I am not the only one with this problem as I have read that this was happening to many Dodge drivers that had 2006 models.

- Kissimmee, FL, USA

Nov 302012

Charger

In the 2006 Dodge Charger R/T the car will completely turn off if the gas is full or close to full. This is a well known issue with the R/T model. Dodge has known of this issue for years and also the dealerships. After filling the tank the vehicle will turn off in turn losing power steering brakes and engine power even while your foot is on the gas pedal. I have almost gotten into accidents due to this. I took my vehicle to the Dodge dealerships and was told that this is a known problem and Dodge refuses to call a recall.

- Prince George, VA, USA

May 022014

Charger

I have had an issue with my car stalling and it seems there are many others with the same issue. The fact that this is not being looked at as a safety concern is beyond me. Just because you don't reach 90mph when it stalls does not mean accidents will not occur. If I am turning into a street and traffic is coming in my direction and I stall should I just "restart" my vehicle in hopes that someone doesn't T-bone me? sounds like a bad plot to the start of a movie. Just do the right thing here and fix this world wide issue and let us move on with our muscular cars!

- Jacksonville, FL, USA

Nov 022012

Charger 8-cyl

After filling the gas tank, the car would stumble, miss and start jerking. Was making a 90 degree right hand turn and the car shut off. In the middle of the turn, I had no power steering nor brakes. Fortunately, there were no oncoming cars as I ended up on the wrong side of the street. Car restarted and ran a few feet before the stumbling, jerking and missing started to occur once again. After reading up on this problem, I had the gas tank replaced, as it (the tank) had all of the signs of a bad "roll-over" valve. This valve is molded into the gas tank and is non-replaceable. Once the tank was replaced, the problem has gone away and have not had an issue since.

- Parma, OH, USA