2.0

2008 Dodge Charger engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Dodge Charger:

2008 Dodge Charger Owner Comments (Page 2 of 3)

Apr 092013

Charger

The contact owns a 2008 Dodge Charger. While driving at approximately 35 mph, the vehicle stalled. The vehicle was able to restart. The contact stated that the instrument cluster illuminated. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where the technician stated that the module failed. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 95,000.

- Patchouge, NY, USA

Sep 232013

Charger

Vehicle has had multiple issues with ignition switch, sometimes as soon as I start the car then engine will die. I thought initially that I was doing something wrong and I let it pass because this vehicle is not heavily used, but started seeing online that people were complaining for similar issues. I tried switching keyfobs but that did not solve the issue. Fortunately, I've never had the engine die on me while driving, but seems like it could happen. I now have removed everything from my key chain for this car and basically drive the car with only a very light key ring attached to the key. I also have been trying to get this issue fixed since the recall notice came to me. That was last year! I've repeatedly called the dealership and they claim they do not have parts for this recall. A few weeks ago (today is 9/24/2015) I got a new notice to take the car in, called the dealership, got the car in the shop; service advisor called me in the afternoon stating that Chrysler does not have parts!! and they do not know when they'll be available. This recall (P57) and (R25) are issues that can cause loss of function without warning. To me it is unbelievable that the company is not making sure parts are available. That is totally unacceptable.

- Rolling Meadows, IL, USA

Sep 012015

Charger

Car does not start immediately due to ignition switch recall. Ignition switch has been on recall since November 2014. Part still not in. Currently on back order.

- Boardman, OH, USA

Sep 072015

Charger

The contact owns a 2008 Dodge Charger. While parking the vehicle in a driveway, the contact noticed flames coming from under the hood. The fire department was able to extinguish the fire. A police and a fire report were filed. The vehicle was included in NHTSA campaign numbers: 14V567000 (electrical system) and 15V313000 (air bags). The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure and informed that a investigator would be assigned to inspect the vehicle. The failure mileage was not available.

- Phoenix, AZ, USA

Aug 112015

Charger

My wife had parked the car after driving it 5 miles, it would not restart we sent it to our mechanic and he also could get it to start after they checked it on the computer they tore down the engine to find the number 4 cylinder crumbled sending metal parts all through the engine. My wife used the car for her job cleaning condo's, she owns the business so she does a lot of short runs to various locations, not high speed or even highways. He sent us the picture, we have been using tuffy's for a while as our main repair shop for our other vehicles as well. You could see the rim of piston 4 was 3/4 gone.

- Panama City Beeach, FL, USA

Feb 132015

Charger

Upon purchasing the vehicle on 01/31/2015 the first incident where the vehicle just cut off when I stopped at a red light happened on 02/13/2015 and then numerous times after that, I was able to crank the car back up and proceeded to drive. I took the vehicle to a private dealer and he told me that it was an electrical problem, that the vehicle isnt receiving power to the engine. It happened again yesterday on 09/02/15. I fear for the safety of my children and that of my patients, my job requires that I travel from city to city receiving patient care, this is the only vehicle that I have at the moment and cannot afford monthly payments on another vehicle. I also reported this problem to Chrysler Dodge Jeep dealership to the one here in enterprise, al and to the one in dothan, al and they both told me that I am on a waiting list and they will call me as soon as the parts are in. I can no longer wait its happening more frequent now.

- Enterprise, AL, USA

Nov 052013

Charger

The contact owns a 2008 Dodge Charger. While driving at a high rate of speed, the contact noticed smoke under the hood and the vehicle stalled without warning. The vehicle was towed to the dealer who repaired the vehicle, but the failure recurred. The repairs were unknown to the contact. The vehicle was also repaired according to NHTSA campaign number: 14V567000 (electrical system). When the key was turned in the ignition, the vehicle would not start. The remedy did not repair the failure. The manufacturer was notified. The VIN was also included in NHTSA campaign number: 15V313000 (air bags). The parts for the repair would not be available for months. The failure mileage was not available.

- Ringgold, GA, USA

Aug 192015

Charger

Engine cooling fan became separated from fan housing and became lodged in radiator. The fan continued turning, causing radiator fan blades to break off and bounce around the engine compartment. The radiator dumped all coolant, and the engine overheated within moments. Dodge has issued a recall for a very specific sales code and date range of vehicles, and is denying the same recall to other owners experiencing the exact same problem. While the vehicle was being repaired, another Dodge Charger of the same year was in the shop for the same problem. Pictures have been taken of the incident showing the full extent of the damage.

- Orlando, FL, USA

Mar 182015

Charger

In November of 2014 I received a recall for P57 which is the wireless ignition node module stating that the parts were not currently available and I would be notified as soon as they became available. I received another notice in February of 2015 at which time I contacted my local Dodge dealer and was told there were currently no parts available to fix the issue. Sometime during the middle of March I was turning right onto a 5 line highway when I lost all power to my vehicle. As I tried to get off the road and out of traffic the power restored on it's own. This same power lost has occurred once more since March. I have continued to check with my local dealer but no parts are still available. For the past 3 weeks I have had significant trouble getting the vehicle to start. When I place the key in the start position it will do nothing except turn on the warning lights. After attempting this several times it will eventually start but then will sometimes just shut back off. I am very concerned about being on a busy interstate and losing power which takes all of the vehicle control. On August 26, 2015, I once again contacted my local dealer and was once again told me there were no parts available. I was given the number OF1-800-992-1997 to contact. After spending 51 minutes on the phone with a gentleman named alex I was basically told that unless the car was broken down or I was involved in an accident there was nothing they could do, but if I did become involved in an accident because of the malfunction I could contact them back and they would try and assist me better. I suppose that if I get killed in a traffic accident caused by the issue that isn't being fixed, then that is one less car they have to repair.

- Marion, NC, USA

Aug 052015

Charger

The contact owns a 2008 Dodge Charger. While at a stop light, the temperature gauge increased and antifreeze fumes and smoke emitted into the vehicle. The vehicle was merged into a parking lot and towed to a dealer. The technician diagnosed that the radiator and the fan blades detached and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired by an independent mechanic. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 91,000.

- Alpharetta, GA, USA

Jul 082015

Charger

On July 8.2015 at 2pm while driving my 08 Charger I started to see smoke, coming from under the hood, also noticed the tempgage, in the red, pulled over and shut off engine, I let it cool down, for several hours, w not start, had to have my Charger towed to shop! contacted Dodge!

- Silver Spring, MD, USA

Nov 282014

Charger

The contact owns a 2008 Dodge Charger. While driving 60 mph, the instrument panel lights illuminated and the vehicle stalled. The vehicle was towed to the dealer, where it was diagnosed that the alternator was faulty and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired; however, the failure recurred. The vehicle was taken back to the dealer, where it was diagnosed that the ignition switch needed to be replaced. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 14V567000 (electrical system) and stated that the parts needed for the repair were not available. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 93,000.

- Saint Petersburg, FL, USA

Jun 012011

Charger

The contact owns a 2008 Dodge Charger. The contact stated that while starting the vehicle, the key remained in the on position and the vehicle stalled. The contact was able to restart the vehicle. The check engine warning light illuminated. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The VIN was included in NHTSA campaign number: 14V567000 (electrical system) however, the part needed to repair the vehicle was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 129,000.

- Mesquite, TX, USA

Oct 082014

Charger 8-cyl

I was accelerating up an entrance ramp to the freeway when the vehicle died, causing loss of power. I coasted to side of road and restarted car. This has happened more than once, but is intermittent. I have noticed no common similarities, it is as if the ignition shuts off.

- Louisville, KY, USA

Apr 122015

Charger 6-cyl

On April 12, 2015 while driving at 65mph on hwy 195 my car died and I was forced to pull over on median. The car has done this at least a couple of times since 2013 and usually starts back up except for 1 time in Dec 2014. Today April 12,2015 the car would not start back up and I had to have it towed to my home. I will call Chrysler llc in the am. However in Dec 2014 my Dodge did the something similar it died at a slower speed 55 mph on hwy 190 and I had to have it towed to home and later had to have my engine replace due to cracked head gaskets costing me $1800 I went to Dodge country in killeen multiple times in 2014 and 2015 trying to get this problem fixed after the recall was announced on the ignition and there are no parts each time im fed up and im voicing it!!! I have 2 kids that ride with me and its not safe any more!!!!

- Killeen, TX, USA

Apr 052014

Charger 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2008 Dodge Charger. The contact stated that the key was difficult to turn and the vehicle stalled with no warning. The contact stated that previously, the fan and radiator failed to work due to an electrical short and the components caught on fire. The vehicle was towed to the dealer, who replaced the radiator and the fan. The contact indicated that months later, the failure recurred. In addition, the contact stated that burning fumes emitted into the vehicle. After inspecting the vehicle, the contact noticed that the wires, starter and ignition switch were on fire. The contact was able to merge the vehicle over and it was towed to a dealer. The technician replaced the ignition switch and the failure recurred intermittently. The contact was included but was not notified of NHTSA campaign id number: 14V567000 (electrical system). However, the part needed was not available. The vehicle was not. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was not available. Updated 03/24/15 the consumer stated the vehicle would jerk. When the vehicle was purchased the dash was not attached completely. The 2 back tires had a slow leak. Updated 10/19/2015

- Columbus, GA, USA

Jan 012014

Charger

The contact owns a 2008 Dodge Charger. While driving approximately 65 mph, the vehicle overheated. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic who diagnosed that the coolant and air bleeder needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired; however, the failure persisted. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was unavailable.

- Upland , CA, USA

Jul 142014

Charger 8-cyl

I was driving when the car suddenly stalled out. A few months later there was a recall notice for a faulty ignition switch. A couple of months after that, the car suddenly lost power as I was driving down the road. I took it to the repair shop, and they still can't figure out what the problem is. I'm requesting a loaner vehicle until the recall problem is fixed, before an accident happens.

- Laurel, MD, USA

Aug 192014

Charger

The contact owns a 2008 Dodge Charger. The contact stated that while driving 40 mph, the vehicle stalled without warning. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where the technician diagnosed that the starter and the engine needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The contact received NHTSA campaign number: 14V567000 (electrical system). The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 104,000.

- Manvel, TX, USA

Nov 142014

Charger 6-cyl

On my way to the gas station to fill up my tank, when I arrive I put my car in park and as I'm about to step out the car rolls back, I'm thinking maybe I put it in reverse by accident but no it was in park but it got stuck in reverse my car has almost 80K miles on it 2008 Dodge Charger. This incident almost made me hit the car behind me because it rolled back luckily for emergency brakes it didn't. had to have my car towed the tow truck driver knew how to put it back in park so he did as I called the dealership they said no recall for my transmission not for my car, you would think since the recall is about the transmission linkage becoming loose or something and startling the driver and can result in a crash it would be covered but nope these dealerships never want to help you, just createmore problems. What happens if I didn't get out the car, slow and it rolled back and hit the car until this day my car is stillwhere the tow truck parked it.

- Davie, FL, USA