2009 Dodge Charger electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Dodge Charger:

2009 Dodge Charger Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Jun 242016

Tipm failure causing remote start failure

- Hanover, PA, USA

May 302016

The contact owns a 2009 Dodge Charger. While driving 60 mph, the ignition warning light illuminated. In addition, while in park, the vehicle failed to start. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The contact was aware of NHTSA campaign number: 14V373000 (air bags, electrical system), but the VIN was not included. The failure mileage was 100,000.

- Newberry, FL, USA

Mar 052016

I towed to hollywood Chrysler Jeep for car repair. They said they would fix take care of everything. 3/5/16 received a phone call from them at about 2:00 and was told that they had fixed the car and only had to replace the wire harness. I arrived at there between 3:30-4:00 on 03/05/2016. I paid they then gave me a business card for L.a. towing told me I would probably need a tow soon. The steering wheel was upside down when I received the car back. I started the car it made a grinding sound and kept cutting off while I was driving from starter left loose.asked why they didn't fix it just have it towed back when it breaks down again.on 03/ 07 the car broke down again completely. From the time I received it from hollywood Chrysler Jeep the car kept cutting off at almost every ten minutes. On 3/7/16 it wouldn't crank anymore so I had to leave the car there. It got towed about 4-5 days later by ems towing. It is still there. The customer service supervisor he stated that they were not obligated to fix the car only to get it running and that's it. He said that they were not obligated to put the steering wheel on correctly even though they performed the recall. I then asked him to show me proof of the wire harness replacement and he stated that they repaired not replaced the wire harness. I then asked about the estimate to show exactly what was the issues because their description of the problem on the estimate page was only a reiteration on my observation. He stated they didn't have to tell me what was wrong, only get the car started that's all. He stated that they were not under any obligation to fix what was wrong, though the only reason I towed to them was to have it repaired. Asked why did his mechanics leave the starter loose because that was the main issue that I brought the car there for. He said you don't expect for us to fix the whole car do you.

- Oakland Park, FL, USA

Nov 222015

Fob: Car will not start

- Grantsville, UT, USA

Oct 252015

The contact owns a 2009 Dodge Charger. While driving 25 mph, the vehicle stalled without warning. The contact also stated that any jarring event would cause the ignition to move from the run position to the accessory or off position. The vehicle was taken to the dealer to be diagnosed. The contact was informed that the win module needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 182,000.

- Pensacola, FL, USA

Jun 292015

The contact owns a 2009 Dodge Charger. While driving 20 mph, the engine stalled without warning. The vehicle was able to restart after several attempts. The failure was persistent. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the ignition switch and ignition harness failed and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was unknown.

- Leo, IN, USA

Jan 072016

Vehicle is a 6 cyl. Used police package unit with 107,200 miles. On several occasions, vehicle has "shut off" while driving requiring putting vehicle in neutral and restarting engine while pulling to a safe location without power steering or power brakes. The key automatically turned to the "off" position each time, causing the engine to shut off. Also, key could not be removed and while in the off position, all accessories still worked. Finally was able to remove key and took vehicle to dealership. Service advisor could not remove key. Appointment made to check problem (1st one 4 days later), and when home, had to disconnect battery to shut off everything. Only other recall is for the takata airbag replacement where parts are still not available after almost a year. Very dangerous with vehicle shutting off while driving, particularily for a novice or insecure driver. Frustating and unsafe to have to leave key in vehicle and having high dollar battery go dead...just replaced it last month for $215...

- Winston Salem, NC, USA

Apr 022014

The contact owns a 2009 Dodge Charger. The contact stated that the shift lever failed to engage into the park position and the ignition key became stuck in the ignition switch. In addition, the contact mentioned that the horn failed to operate. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where it was diagnosed that the integrated power control module failed and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 135,000.

- Lisbon Falls, ME, USA

Oct 302015

In August 2015, my car would not start so I had to replace the ignition module and purchase a new key ($1000). On October 30, 2015, I was driving on the highway at night in the rain when my car just shut off. I was not able to steer at all but I managed to pull off the road. Everything else in the car worked (lights, radio, everything on the panel) the only thing that did not work was the car. My car will not start back up. I had to tow the car back to the dealership. How could something like this happen when I replaced the ignition module that seems to be the cause of this problem? I am very lucky we were not involved in a terrible accident or even cause a death.

- Pembroke, GA, USA

Jun 052015

The contact owns a 2009 Dodge Charger. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 14V567000 (electrical system) and 15V313000 (air bags) however, the parts to do the repairs were unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repairs. The manufacturer was not made aware of the issue. The contact had experienced a failure but could not provide details. The failure mileage was unknown.

- Americus, GA, USA

Sep 162015

Driving at highway speed my car suddenly lurched as it lost power. I was able to pull over to the shoulder and turn the car off but it would not restart.

- Rockville, MD, USA

Aug 222015

Our 2009 Dodge Charger was in the garage, I noticed smoke on the outside of the house and went into the garage and our car was engulfed in flames. The fire caused extensive damage to the garage and smoke & water damage to the entire house. This the summary from the fire inspector that was sent out by our insurance company: Based on scene observations, witness interviews, and information received, the cause of the fire was most probably related to an electrical failure involving wiring and or components of the 2009 Dodge Charger. More specifically, the fire occurred in the engine compartment on the driver side. The cause of the fire was an electrical event occurring in the origin area resulting in the ignition of combustible wiring insulation and other combustible materials within the engine compartment area left side.

- Avondale, AZ, USA

Jul 032015

I was driving my 2009 Dodge Charger about a year ago and the car just cut off while going down the road. I was able to pull over (lucky I avoided causing an accident) and it restarted with no problem. I have had no other problems until a month ago I came out of the mall to go home and the car would not start. Finally after 10 minutes of trying and praying, the car started right up and got me home which was about 50 miles away. It would not start again after that. I have replaced the battery and many fuses. The car started one time when we first replaced the battery but as soon as I turned it off it would not start again. We figured out how to start the car one more time to get it to the Dodge dealership. I am having to replace the ignition module and purchase a new key. I am looking at a $960 bill. There was a recall on this exact part for the manufacture date of May 2007 - May 2008. My car was manufactured August 2008. I believe this faulty part was also used on my car. After reading all the complaints for this year model, we should be included in a recall. $960 just to replace a key!!!!

- Pembroke, GA, USA

Dec 162014

Charger 6-cyl

Since December, I have experienced a very noticeable flicker of the headlights and dash lights. This has caused oncoming drivers to flash their headlights in response to the flickering. The dealership has replaced my battery and checked the electrical system. When I googled "Dodge Charger flickering headlights", there were posts by a substantial number of Charger owners experiencing the same problem, some are experiencing headlight failure. I believe this is a safety issue worthy of investigation.

- Sterling Heights, MI, USA

Feb 012015

The contact owns a 2009 Dodge Charger. The contact stated that the right and left turn signals failed to operate and the ESC warning light illuminated. In addition, the contact stated that the windshield wipers failed to operate. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure and stated that the VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 12V197000 (electrical system, service brakes, air). The failure mileage was 69,000.

- King William, VA, USA

Feb 192015

The contact owns a 2009 Dodge Charger. While driving 55 mph, the vehicle stalled. The contact was unable to restart the vehicle. The vehicle was towed to the contact's residence. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 97,000.

- Toledo, OH, USA

Mar 032015

Charger 6-cyl

Wireless ignition node shorted out.

- Columbia, SC, USA

Jan 032015

I have had another incident where the automobile has had another mechanical malfunction. I was slowing down to turn at a stop light. It died, right before I started my turn. This is now the fourth incident with the same issue. Thankfully I was not hurt this time. Though I am still suffering from the incident from December 8th. My daughter was with me again when this incident occurred. She said, "mom the light is green". I said, "I know, the car is dead". I would like to know what is being done, before someone gets killed.

- Kansas City, KS, USA

Oct 102013

Key stuck in ignition.....have to wait approx. 5 to 30 minutes after I stopped the vehicle and it is in park.....and then my dear $ 60000 car decides to release the key.

- Hull, TX, USA

Apr 232014

Engines shuts off without warning. Happened several times while parked or at stop lights. Happen last while driving on interstate. Luckily, was able to pull off road without incident and the car restarted. Took it to dealership and they had to replace the win and have keys reprogrammed to system. My car is past the warranty so the repair was very expensive. Have heard from other Dodge owners with similar problems that have had these parts replaced several times. I have researched and found multiple cases and not one significant cause as to why this keeps occurring. Why hasn't Dodge recalled these cars for this potentially very dangerous problem?

- Norman, OK, USA