2009 Dodge Charger engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Dodge Charger:

2009 Dodge Charger Owner Comments

Nov 012015

Charger

The contact owned a 2009 Dodge Charger. The contact stated that while driving at approximately 60 mph, smoke emitted from under the hood and inside the vehicle. The contact coasted to the side of the road and was able to exit the vehicle without injuries. The vehicles engine became engulfed in flames. The fire department extinguished the fire. There was no police report filed. The vehicle was destroyed. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 130,000.

- Houston, TX, USA

Jul 062016

Charger

The contact owns a 2009 Dodge Charger. While driving approximately 65 mph, the vehicle stalled without warning. In addition, the steering wheel seized and was difficult to manuver. The vehicle was towed to an independent mechanic where it was diagnosed that the motor needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 101,000.

- Washington, GA, USA

Jul 042016

Charger

The contact owns a 2009 Dodge Charger. While reversing, the contact heard a loud abnormal noise coming from the vehicle. Upon inspection, radiator fluid was witnessed leaking from the vehicle. The vehicle was towed from the scene to the contact's home. The vehicle was not diagnosed nor repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 166,584.

- Durham, NC, USA

Sep 012015

Charger

The problem is with the 2.7 timing chain and engine. Chrysler had issues with this problem and had filed for bankruptcy. There was a class action regarding this issue. However, Chrysler corporation still exists and the customers with the problem still have the same engine issues. There should be a recall for the 2.7 engine.

- Middle Island, NY, USA

Jun 012015

Charger

The engine is making noise. My mechanic said the timing chain is bad. The oil pressure is low.

- Middle Island, NY, USA

Jan 082016

Charger

The vehicle was taken to the shop for a coolant leak. In the course of the repairs, significant engine sludge was discovered in the engine. Once the repairs were completed, the engine ran for approximately 30 min after repairs completed before being unable to start and going back to the shop. They now say that a complete engine overhaul is needed.

- San Antonio, TX, USA

Sep 262015

Charger

Got a 2009 Dodge Charger with 150.000 miles while normal driving on highway engine light came on I stopped right away thermostat cap blew off took it to dealer after I replaced the cap because it was running hotter than normal they told me might be a sensor next day they called car was smoking and needed new motor I did check it before I took it and it wasn't smoking they took two weeks to replace engine now called me not ready needs knock sensor the longer they have it the more broken things they find if it's not one thing it's another I am going to just go get it before they flatten my tires and say I need new ones ??

- Arbuckle, CA, USA

Sep 092015

Charger

The contact owns a 2009 Dodge Charger. The contact stated that while driving at 35 mph, there was a coolant odor present and the vehicle started to shake without warning. The vehicle was shut off and failed to restart. The vehicle was jump started. The contact discovered smoke fumes from the hood. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where it was diagnosed that the weep hole was failed on the water pump and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 125,000.

- Waldorf, MD, USA

Aug 222015

Charger

Our 2009 Dodge Charger was in the garage, I noticed smoke on the outside of the house and went into the garage and our car was engulfed in flames. The fire caused extensive damage to the garage and smoke & water damage to the entire house. This the summary from the fire inspector that was sent out by our insurance company: Based on scene observations, witness interviews, and information received, the cause of the fire was most probably related to an electrical failure involving wiring and or components of the 2009 Dodge Charger. More specifically, the fire occurred in the engine compartment on the driver side. The cause of the fire was an electrical event occurring in the origin area resulting in the ignition of combustible wiring insulation and other combustible materials within the engine compartment area left side.

- Avondale, AZ, USA

Jun 232015

Charger

The contact owns a 2009 Dodge Charger. While in the parking lot, an abnormal noise emitted from the engine. While inspecting the vehicle, the contact noticed that the fan fractured and ejected pieces of hard plastic against the radiator. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 57,304.

- Cumberland, KY, USA

Jun 272014

Charger

Our 09 Dodge Charger timing chain broke and we had to pay $5500 to replace the engine! we always changed the oil every 3,000 miles. How do I get our money back"?"

- Columbus, OH, USA

Nov 032014

Charger

While driving the car at 40 mph on the highway the fan blades broke off and went through the radiator. This was a problem on our 2008 Dodge Chargers and there was a recall initiated by Dodge for the 2008 models. Dodge stated there was no recall on the 2009 Dodge Chargers for this problem. The is on the police package Charger with the hemi.

- Ellettsville, IN, USA

Feb 182015

Charger 6-cyl

Within the last month the vehicle has been difficult to start, then while driving it suddenly and without warning, completely stops running. Then it is hard to steer and has no brakes. This is frightening and happens without warning. The service dept at the dealership diagnosed and scanned for codes and tested fuel pressure and found pressure was good and found no codes. They installed a new battery and cleaned the throttle. The vehicle started and ran well for one week, using it for short trips to the store. However, using it to go 20 miles away, the above problem showed up again. At the top of a hill the car engine stopped, going 30 mph going down the hill. No brakes, no steering, and luckily no accident!!! this if very frightening!!! this vehicle is going back to the dealership on wed, Mar. 11, 2015. This 2009 vehicle, according to your website, has had this dangerous problem since 2010. This is hazardous and should be eligible for recall.

- Niles, OH, USA

Dec 082014

Charger 6-cyl

In the last four months, my 2009 Dodge Charger has stalled three times without warning. It doesn't sputter, then die. It just shuts down. The first two times, I was driving straight. This last time, 12/08/14, I was turning in a parking lot. I lost my power steering and my power breaks. I hit the concrete base of a light pole hard enough to blow out my front driver-side tire and bent the tie rod. There is quite a bit of damage to the front quarter panel, bumper and broke the headlight. Not to mention, it has given me whiplash. I have not seeked medical attention at this time, but I have had it before, and am quite certain I have it again. I am not certain as to why the airbag did not deploy"?" I have read that this is a known issue, but there has not been a recall. I have seen other issues listed on this site regarding this particular car. I have had to replace a TPMS on one of my tires as well. I haven't look at all the complaints. But I also have an ongoing issue with my car not starting, numerous times a week. I have taken it to the dealership at least three times, and they cannot ever get it to duplicate. When I turn the key, it just turns over like it is going to start, then shuts down, without a single sputter. Kind of like how it is just shutting down while driving. The dealership replaced the battery in my key thinking that was the issue, nothing has helped. I would like to add my information into the group of individuals who have had problems with this particular car. After today's incident, my husband wants to get rid of it. I love my car, I just don't love the issues I am having with it, especially now that I am hurt. I am just thankful I am did not hit or hurt anyone else, due to this mechanical failure.

- Kansas City, KS, USA

Oct 072014

Charger

The contact owns a 2009 Dodge Charger. The contact stated that the tire pressure monitoring system warning light illuminated and the tire pressure became low. The contact stated that while driving 5 mph, the vehicle shifted independently from drive to neutral. The contact also stated that the vehicle stalled without warning. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 68,000. Mailed out 01/22/15

- Jacksonville, FL, USA

Jun 242013

Charger

The contact owns a 2009 Dodge Charger. The contact stated that while driving 50 mph, the vehicle stalled as the electronic throttle control light illuminated. The vehicle stalled however, the contact was able to restart the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to a dealer for diagnosis and the contact was informed that the spark plugs would need to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure later recurred. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileage was 82,000.

- Lawton, OK, USA

Apr 012013

Charger

My electronic control throttle light continues to come on. I have read forums of this being an issue in Dodge and Chrysler cars from 2000 to 2011 models. I think at this point there needs to be a recall on the defect on all these cars. I am sick to my stomach on the costs to fix this issue.

- West Valley City, UT, USA

Feb 072012

Charger 6-cyl

The dealer refuses to honor the recalls on the engine light and tire light on, and is claiming that it does not affect my vehicle. I just brought this car from them and now I getting no where with this people. I paid $95 dollars for nothing and the lights still on and they told me that the reason they wont refund my money back is because they have to paid the mechanic, I believe that sold me a lemon. My resolution is to fix this car and refund my money. Thanks.

- Schertz, TX, USA

Jan 022013

Charger

The contact owns a 2009 Dodge Charger. The contact stated that while driving 30 mph, abnormal popping noises could be heard and acceleration power decreased. The vehicle was moved to the shoulder. The vehicle was towed to the dealer where it was found that the PCV valve needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was notified and a complaint was filed. The failure mileage was 23,000.

- South Milwakee, WI, USA