2011 Dodge Charger brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Dodge Charger:

2011 Dodge Charger Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

May 252016

My brake light came on. So I went to pep boys to get it checked out. They told me that I have a leak on my line that goes from the front of the car to the back of the car. They said they needed to change out my whole line since it is one piece. I asked why this has happened and the technician told me that the line was rubbing against the frame of my car. Since it has been rubbing against my frame, it caused a friction that ultimately caused a tear on my line and started the leak.

- Los Angeles, CA, USA

Aug 052015

The contact owns a 2011 Dodge Charger. The contact stated that the vehicle stalled without warning. The vehicle was towed to the contacts residence and then an independent mechanic where the alternator was replaced but the failure recurred. The contact noticed that the battery save mode and the brake warning indicators flashed when the vehicle stalled. The vehicle was taken back to the dealer where the alternator assembly was replaced a second occasion under a manufacturer recall. The contact stated that a week after the repair, the service engine warning light illuminated. The vehicle was then taken to an independent mechanic where it was informed that the thermostat was not properly closed and that a diagnosis needed to be performed. The vehicle was also included in NHTSA campaign number: 16V046000 (electrical system) but the part was not available. The manufacturer was notified of the failures. The approximate failure mileage was 92,000. Parts distribution disconnect.

- Los Angeles, CA, USA

Nov 072015

As I turned to pull in my driveway, all at once the ABS light and stability control light illuminated on my dash, the powersteering quit working, all at the same time the vehicle had begun making a loud high pitched humming noise with smoke coming from under the hood that had a very intense burning, electrical type smell. Then the dash flashed that the car was in battery saver mode, subsequently dying altogether. Upon having towed the car to a Dodge dealership, the service department informed me that I needed to a) replace the alternator B) replace the belt and C) replace the battery because the alternator caused it to go bad. The total for all repairs will be $1224. I still don't have the vehicle back, but I've done extensive research online and learned that there is a recall (recall number P60) involving some 2011-2014 model year Dodge Chargers and their alternators. Seeing as my vehicle is a 2011, and I am having this exact issue, I need to know why my vehicle was not included in the original recall. Having alternator failure when my vehicle is only 4 years old is unacceptable, not to mention, it is incredibly unsafe to lose powersteering, ABS and ESC as the vehicle smolders for hours even after completely dying.

- Humble, TX, USA

Oct 072015

The contact owns a 2011 Dodge Charger. While driving approximately 60 mph, the save battery, traction control, and the ABS warning light illuminated. In addition, the contact mentioned that the front headlights became inoperable and the windshield wipers operated independently. The contact also stated that the vehicle stalled and failed to restart. The vehicle was towed to the contact's residence. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 75,000.

- Morning Sun, IA, USA

Apr 102015

Charger 4WD 8-cyl

The driver's side wheel had a loud metal on metal scraping noise, both with braking and without braking, in both drive and in reverse positions. The noise only lasted for approximately two miles and could not be replicated, when I arrived at the tire place. They did replace some brake hardware on that side, saying that it was a thin metal piece behind the brake pad was bent. But now, two weeks later the wheel was making the same noise but not as loudly and it also went away on its own after driving a few miles. In addition my drivers front tire is terribly out of alignment and wore the outer edge of the tire nearly bald. I do not know if this is associated with the brake hardware or not, I have not fully investigated it yet. When the tire shop did an alignment on my car they were unable to correct my alignment problem. They told me that it had to do with the way that the motor was sitting in my car. My car is an all-wheel-drive and it was into the Dodge dealership for the timing chain guide recall a year ago. My tires at that point time we're only two years old now they are only three years old. The uneven wear on the tire has been within the last year. At the recall repair my car had 33,000 miles on it and currently my car has 43,000 miles on it. I had new tires put on at 18,000 miles.

- Portland, OR, USA

Dec 032014

My Charger completely shut off while I was driving and I was forced to glide to a stop in traffic. The dashboard, brakes, and steering all shut off at once. I was then unable to turn the car back on and forced to tow it out of traffic.

- Phoenix, AZ, USA

Oct 282014

The contact owns a 2011 Dodge Charger. While driving approximately 30 mph, the steering wheel seized. The brake pedal was depressed and failed to respond and the battery saver mode and check engine warning lights illuminated. The vehicle was taken to a mechanic where it was diagnosed that the alternator needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 67,550.

- Philadelphia, PA, USA

Oct 112014

Charger 6-cyl

Driving from philly to NJ at 2am on Sunday right before I entered the bridge lost power steering, ABS, radio and battery saver light came on I had my wife and 3 kids with me after a minute or so started losing the headlights. I just wanted to get to jersey side and stop somewhere and call for help. I was very lucky because got to rt.73 highway and mt.laurel police spotted me and helped me a lot by taking us home safe. I had my car towed to the nearest garage and they told me the alternator died so I called the Dodge dealership they said that no Dodge Chargers had that problem reported before I was "first". they were so rude on the phone and said just suck it up and pay $790. Well I got it fixed not at the dealership but at the gas station mechanic. I also paid $150 for towing and now I'm afraid that its going to fail again soon. I called the corporate right after I heard about the recall and they told me that my VIN it is not recalled. They still investigating for more VIN numbers.

- Mt.Laurel , NJ, USA

Oct 202014

The contact owns a 2012 Dodge Charger. The contact stated while driving approximately 70 mph, the battery power saver and electronic stability control warning light illuminated as the radio failed. Also, the windshield wipers came on independently, the headlights shut off, the dashboard lights flashed on and off, and the brakes hesitated to stop the vehicle. The vehicle stalled. The vehicle was towed to a dealer for diagnostic testing. The alternator needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 46,000.

- Addis, LA, USA

May 132014

Charger 6-cyl

While driving down highway 61 on May 13,2014 I noticed my warning lights coming on and then the check engine light. I had no where to pull over so approx., 10 miles later the battery safe mode came on and then I started smelling something burning. I pulled over and called to have someone take my car back to town. I then needed to replace the battery and alternator before the car would run again. Then on 7/8/2014 the exact same problem proceeded to happen again ad this time I took the vehicle to meineke where they ended up having to replace the alternator and battery again at another cost of $1,148.66 on top of the first $803.16 that I had put into the car a month earlier. This car got so hot and you could tell there was obviously and electrical problem but all anyone would say is that its starting at the alternator.

- New Boston , IL, USA

Oct 312013

I had pulled out of a parking lot maybe made it half a mile. The ABS light came on the traction light came smoke was pouring out the hood. Before I could pull in the parking lot my lights went out before I could safely get in a place to park my steering would not work. My car has very few miles on it and has been taken care of. The car was completely dead. If you look back on this car an all the recalls. There is complaint after complaint on alternators.

- Greensboro , GA, USA

Sep 212014

Charger 6-cyl

Driving home from a visit brakes stopped working. No warning lights just pushed pedal to floor and the car wouldn't stop.

- Nolanville, TX, USA

Sep 122014

My 2011 Dodge Charger battery saving mode light is blinking on and off as well as my ABS/skid control then all of the sudden my vehicle starts slowing down on the highway while going the speed of 60 mph causing the car to lock up. My wife is 8 months pregnant and I feel like that not only put her in danger but my unborn child as well. This situation I feel needs to be recalled and fix asap before someone looses a loved one over a malfunction with these vehicles. I had to get my vehicle towed to the Dodge dealer who told me that my alternator went out and completely drained my battery in my car causing me to have to come out of pocket for both. I really don't drive my vehicle a lot for all these things to be happening I hope that the 2015 Dodge Charger is better...

- Bainbridge , GA, USA

Sep 122014

Charger 6-cyl

Car went into battery saver mode while driving. Took to dealership said nothing wrong. Drove next day where all lights and wipers going off. Radio cut off and ABS, traction control and E-brake lights came on. Then car began having smoky smell. Completely shut off in intersection with no recharge or ability to start up. Could not even lock doors or open trunk.

- Oakley , CA, USA

Jul 012014

Charger 6-cyl

I have replaced my car's alternator twice within 16 months due to total failure (car won't turn on) and impending failure (low charging while on). This resulted in my battery needing to be replaced. Additionally, I have replaced all 4 wheel speed sensors twice within the last 24 months because they are failing and the ABS / ESC light comes on. Very disappointing in a car that's only 3 years old. Dealership tells me both repairs are typical of these cars, even the new ones. Lastly, both of my headlights have blown out due to a known recall.

- Miramar, FL, USA

Sep 102014

I was driving my vehicle when all of a sudden my radio turns off, then my ABS and tread light come on along with a light that says "brake now." I come to a stop and then everything shuts off. I can not push the brake to start the car back up and a burning electrical smell is coming from the hood. I have to manually lock my doors as the alarm does not work, then my windshield wipers start going off. Based off of research a lot of people are having these issues and saying it is the alternator. That is unacceptable for a 2011.

- Chandler, AZ, USA

Sep 032014

Charger 6-cyl

I have a 2011 Dodge Charger that I saved up a long time to buy. Last week on 9/3/14 on my to take my kids to school the audio in the car went out. The touch screen still had functionality just no audio, figured a fuse may have blown. Check the fuses and everything seemed ok. Later on the same day, on the way to pick the kids up from school the radio was working fine. I approached a intersection and started to slow down when the radio cut off. The car started puttering and the inside gauges began flashing and the wipers just turned on by themselves. Next thing I know everything in the car shut off. The radio, the engine, the lights, everything. I could not get it to go into neutral to push the car out of the road because nothing in the car would come on.

- Cincinnati, OH, USA

Aug 202014

While driving the battery saver mode came on, after that the ABS warning light came on. Then power to the radio was cut out and the ac fan speed started jumping sporadically until shutting down as well. Then the speedometer fell to 0 even though I was traveling at a constant rate. Once stopped in a parking lot the car went completely dead and I was unable to restart the vehicle and had to have it towed. There was a burning smell coming from under the hood and also a whining noise could be heard from inside the cabin prior to the failure. The alternator did have to be replaced.

- Wichita, KS, USA

Aug 162014

Just as everyone else has written, my 2011 Dodge Charger at only 51,000 miles alternator went out. I was driving down the road when all of the gauges started flashing, my radio cut off, and then my whole car died and wouldn't come back on. Luckily, I pulled over in enough time because the steering wheel was impossible to turn and I couldn't even push my break in. I would hate to have been going faster and the whole car shut down and be stuck in a metal death trap. I had to have my car towed from another town. The next day we put a new battery in the car because of course it was fried. After resetting the cars computer because the throttle sensor was off, I was able to drive the car again for a total of 10 minutes before it started disintegrating by serpentine belt and unraveling into the car. Replaced that, started it again for it only to say that my car was in battery saver mode again with a brand new battery. Took it to O'reillys for them to test the alternator while my car was still able to run, because with this particular car the alternator has to be tested on the car, and well it was not running the previous day. Needless to say the alternator froze up there diagnostic computer. Long story short my Dodge Charger is sitting until I can save up enough money to buy the $700 alternator! I will never buy a Dodge again! you would think that if this many people were having the same exact problem they would do something about it.

- Malvern, AR, USA

Jun 132011

Charger 6-cyl

Within one month of purchasing my vehicle the passenger air bag light stays on and after bringing the vehicle into the dealer 3 times it has still not been repaired. Then my emergency brake light and my ABS light randomly started coming on. I brought it into the dealer again and they said they had to order a part. They "think it is electrical" and would call me when the part came in. Two months phone call from the dealer. My car would not start two times since the last visit to the dealership. I walked into the dealer to show them that this large light with an electrical sign and battery flashed on and my vehicle would not start just 15 minutes ago. The service manager went out to my vehicle and said my ABS is not working. I brought my vehicle in to the dealer this morning. Among the above issues there is now a headlight safety issue. It is not safe to drive me and my family. I want it fixed or replaced. I bought the vehicle with 50 miles on it and it has had nothing but major safety issues. I do not want to wait until someone dies with this vehicle on the road. Something needs to be done now!!!!

- Klamath Falls, OR, USA