2011 Dodge Charger drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Dodge Charger:

2011 Dodge Charger Owner Comments

Aug 122016

8/12/16 driving with my fiance and baby girl near home I noticed the battery saving mode warning, not long after navigation and radio shut off fearing the worst I began to head back home through small streets where less civilians and moving cars. Engine roaring like if it was trying to fight to get every last drop of the batteries power. As I was entering the gate to my home the car officially gave up and all the power completely died. I couldn't brake nor turn the wheel without giving it my whole body weight and pressure to prevent it from going head on into someones home. My fiance even had trouble unlocking the doors within the car to jump out and help in whatever way he thought he was going to help. And this was going on with the emergency brake on. Thankfully no collision occurred thanks to my quick thinking and luck. Hoping it was only the battery that was the problem I got it completely re-charged. When I reconnected it I noticed all lights turning on thinking problem solved, nevertheless immediately the engine began to shake and smoking up. Quickly turning it off I researched that a recall P60 for my make model and year are available for what happened to my car but sadly not my engine and alternator power wth. 4yrs 37307 miles on my 2011 Dodge Charger R/T mopar edition 5.7L V8 hemi on time with maintenance and payments why is this happening to me!! I cant afford paying anything extra other than what I signed up to pay I thought new car no problems im so wrong I had to take my car in for so many many recalls not including when I tried to solve the problems it was giving me before I even received notice that a recall was available for the problem, and now this! the alternator is fried and the radiator will be next I know because an engine is like our anatomy one affected part soon affects the next part that makes the other function. Hopefully im wrong.

- Lancaster, CA, USA

Nov 052015

On several occasions vehicle lost power while driving on city street at about 40mph. Had to utilize manual transmission to operate vehicle. Didn't think anything of it, thought it was my fault. Happened to my daughter also while she was driving as well. Vehicle only has 70K miles, this occurred at about 62K miles. Low beam lights also going out occasionally. Have never received recall information regarding these issues but having these issues non the less.

- Hazelwood, MO, USA

Mar 282015

Charger 6-cyl

Received message on console why driving "battery saver mode" drove 1 mile and pulled into gas station. While parked and car running radio, ABS, stability control systems all went offline. I turned the car off and smelled electrical burning. Opened hood and burning smell was stronger. I returned to the car and all electrical power was completely drained. Towed to Dodge dealership after calling Chrysler recall hotline.

- Everett, MA, USA

Oct 252014

Charger 6-cyl

While leaving walmart the car started to make a whining loud noise that came from under the hood at the same time my car made a sound and battery saver mode came on. The lights flickered ABS & traction lit up on the dashboard. The radio stopped playing and wouldn't come back on. As I started to slow down the car stopped completely. I wasn't able to move the wheel and the brakes wouldn't work. I called my nco for a jump but it didn't help. The car battery was completely dead. I notified Chrysler and is waiting for a call back as it seems there will be a recall but it wont start until Nov 28. Being in the army I need transportation I hope Chrysler don't think I am suppose to go without a car until they start the recall... this is a disgrace, I had a Chevy mailbu from 2007-2012 and it never once had a recall let alone 5, worked like a charm! our next family car was going to be a 2014 Chrysler 300 but now we will be looking back into Chevy!!!

- Clarksville, TN, USA

May 132014

Charger 6-cyl

While driving down highway 61 on May 13,2014 I noticed my warning lights coming on and then the check engine light. I had no where to pull over so approx., 10 miles later the battery safe mode came on and then I started smelling something burning. I pulled over and called to have someone take my car back to town. I then needed to replace the battery and alternator before the car would run again. Then on 7/8/2014 the exact same problem proceeded to happen again ad this time I took the vehicle to meineke where they ended up having to replace the alternator and battery again at another cost of $1,148.66 on top of the first $803.16 that I had put into the car a month earlier. This car got so hot and you could tell there was obviously and electrical problem but all anyone would say is that its starting at the alternator.

- New Boston , IL, USA

Aug 162014

Just as everyone else has written, my 2011 Dodge Charger at only 51,000 miles alternator went out. I was driving down the road when all of the gauges started flashing, my radio cut off, and then my whole car died and wouldn't come back on. Luckily, I pulled over in enough time because the steering wheel was impossible to turn and I couldn't even push my break in. I would hate to have been going faster and the whole car shut down and be stuck in a metal death trap. I had to have my car towed from another town. The next day we put a new battery in the car because of course it was fried. After resetting the cars computer because the throttle sensor was off, I was able to drive the car again for a total of 10 minutes before it started disintegrating by serpentine belt and unraveling into the car. Replaced that, started it again for it only to say that my car was in battery saver mode again with a brand new battery. Took it to O'reillys for them to test the alternator while my car was still able to run, because with this particular car the alternator has to be tested on the car, and well it was not running the previous day. Needless to say the alternator froze up there diagnostic computer. Long story short my Dodge Charger is sitting until I can save up enough money to buy the $700 alternator! I will never buy a Dodge again! you would think that if this many people were having the same exact problem they would do something about it.

- Malvern, AR, USA

Mar 152014

The contact owns a 2011 Dodge Charger. The contact stated while driving 75 mph the gear shifted from drive to neutral and was a recurring failure. The mil light illuminated on the instrument panel. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where the technician was unable to determine the cause of failure. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 38,000. The current mileage was 41,000.

- Bastrop, LA, USA

Aug 282012

Charger 6-cyl

2011 Dodge Charger. Consumer writes in regards to vehicle automatic transmission defect. The consumer stated there was a 2nd and 3rd delay upon acceleration at certain speeds. The dealer performed a flash on the transmission and he was informed the transmission needed to re-learn his driving habits. After driving over 700 miles, the 3 second delay was and still is constant, the consumer took the vehicle to the dealer on September 27, 2012, and he received a call the following the day, and was informed the transmission was operating within parameters. Immediately, upon leaving the dealer, the consumer noticed the vehicle was riding very rough. The tires were re-balanced and an alignment was performed. The consumer also noticed the steering wheel was not centered properly, and the vehicle pulled to the right.

- Moriarty, NM, USA

Mar 092011

Charger 8-cyl

Under passing conditions with hard and fast acceleration the car does not move and it feels like it is dead this is very dangerous and on many occasions I could have been hit. This is really a bad situation. I have taken it in and they do not believe me that this is possible. This happens anytime that there is a steady or cruising and a need arises for passing or getting out of trouble. The gas pedal would be depressed quickly and hard but nothing happens. The car seems like it dies and then it comes back and starts accelerating. This takes about a second or two. Other times it growls and it does not move. I have talked to Dodge and they cannot duplicate it and frankly they think that I am telling them something that is not possible. In other words they do not believe me.

- Warner Robins, GA, USA

Dec 012011

2011 Dodge Charger. Consumer expresses discontent concerning Chrysler corporation the consumer stated the vehicle would not start and Chrysler was aware there was an issue and never informed him. The consumer also stated the vehicle has a terrible blind spot, which was restrictive, as his body transgressed higher towards the back making it difficult seeing low hoods. Also, the rear window view was higher, apparently to allow more trunk space, which blocked the consumer from seeing, the hood when backing out of parking spaces. The consumer stated he could barely see the speedometer, the numbers were a lot smaller and difficult to read. Also, it was difficult to adjust the tilt wheel. The consumer stated he had to use extra strength to pull the wheel up or down. The consumer stated there was a drag in the vehicle, when he removed his foot from the accelerator, the vehicle would slow down more rapidly. Also, it was easy to accidentally move the shifter into a lower gear. Also, the transmission was not shifting properly.

- Olathe, KS, USA

Apr 082011

The Dodge Charger is the vehicle that has acceleration problems. So far I have come close to three accidents due to lack of acceleration. This can happen at any time and noticeable when you need to accelerate. I have gone to a dealer to repair this but they cannot fix it since this is an inherent problem in the vehicle and they do not want to fix it. It has to do with the engine control unit and transmission programming. I cannot afford for the car to slow down or cut out on me when I need to get in traffic or accelerate to get out of the traffic I had to select avenger from the web site. It did not have Charger.

- Warner Robins, GA, USA