2011 Dodge Charger electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Dodge Charger:

2011 Dodge Charger Owner Comments (Page 7 of 15)

May 132014

Charger 6-cyl

While driving down highway 61 on May 13,2014 I noticed my warning lights coming on and then the check engine light. I had no where to pull over so approx., 10 miles later the battery safe mode came on and then I started smelling something burning. I pulled over and called to have someone take my car back to town. I then needed to replace the battery and alternator before the car would run again. Then on 7/8/2014 the exact same problem proceeded to happen again ad this time I took the vehicle to meineke where they ended up having to replace the alternator and battery again at another cost of $1,148.66 on top of the first $803.16 that I had put into the car a month earlier. This car got so hot and you could tell there was obviously and electrical problem but all anyone would say is that its starting at the alternator.

- New Boston , IL, USA

Aug 052014

Driving at night, all of sudden, smelt a burning smell coming through the A/C. next morning, when I started my car, the battery saver light came on. Drove to work and parked. When I came back on lunch break, the power saver light, ABS light, seat belt light, and traction light came on dash board, and car shut down. Had to get towed to Dodge dealership. Bad alternator. Cost to replace $804. Dodge consumer assistance stated that Dodge would not cover the cost of the alternator of my 2011 Dodge Charger. This is apparently a manufacturer default. Never buying another Dodge again. This is my 6th time having this car in the shop, after owning it for 2.7 years. When the head light went out, Dodge stated they wouldn't replace it, so had to pay over $500 out of pocket for replacement. Then got a recall, and Dodge only reimbursed half of my out of pocket.

- Atlanta, GA, USA

Sep 222014

Charger 6-cyl

While I was driving on a main street my car stalled and I smelled smoke, my doors automatically locked and I had smelled smoke, I freaked out and took my keyless remote battery out and put back in any my doors unlocked, so I got myself and kids out asap, I had to call a tow truck and they towed my car to the dealership, there they diagnosed that it was the alternator, I had to buy one which was $500 or a little more.

- Houston, TX, USA

Oct 122014

The contact owns a 2011 Dodge Charger. The contact stated that while driving at approximately 65 mph, the vehicle stalled as the battery saver warning light illuminated. The vehicle was towed to a private mechanic where it was diagnosed that the alternator needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure and stated that the VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 14V634000 (electrical system). The failure mileage was 39,000.

- Mount Laurel , NJ, USA

Oct 082014

Charger 6-cyl

On Tuesday (10/7/14)night I was driving the car and the radio stop working and then I got the message of battery save mode, next day car broke down it didn't wanna start good thing I was not driving so, now im stuck with a $750 dollar bill thanks Dodge

- Groton, CT, USA

Jul 072014

The contact owns a 2011 Dodge Charger. The contact received a notification for NHTSA campaign number: 14V101000 (electrical). However, the part needed to do the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Lake Charles, LA, USA

Sep 132014

Charger 6-cyl

* check engine light comes on, loss of power as if in neutral (at), moved shifter from D to N and back to D. shifted gears strangely, high RPM without shifting to next gear. Check engine light would reset after turning off engine. This happened several times. * 10-13-14 ABS, traction control lights blink, audio turns off, smelled burning in passenger compartment, engine making strange noise. Pulled over, opened hood, smoke from engine compartment. Would not start. Towed to dealer. Dealer calls to say alternator is the issue. $930 to repair!

- Atlanta, GA, USA

Oct 082014

I was driving home and a message came up that said battery saver mode. When I stopped at a red light and pulled off the car started to shut down. The car shut completely down but luckily I was next to a parking lot and was able to pull in.

- Philadelphia, PA, USA

Oct 102014

Charger 6-cyl

First of all I had to replace my battery last month which I thought was the problem, which cost me $185. I have now learned that the problem is my alternator. I was turning onto my street and my brake light and traction control light started blinking and I could smell something burning. I immediately pulled into my driveway because my 10 month granddaughter was strapped into her car seat and I was scared because I could smell something burning. I went to the trunk because this is where the battery is located could not smell anything there. I went and opened the hood on the car and could smell something burning. Could not tell where the smell was coming from, but knew it was from under the hood. The next morning I went out to see about my car and nothing would work could not unlock the doors or anything. Discovered it is the alternator due to the fact of placing a jump box on the vehicle and as soon as the positive was removed the car killed and would not function. I am just thankful that I was not on the highway when this happened because my granddaughter and I could have both been seriously injured. I had just turned off of highway 75 in plaquemine.

- Plaquemine, LA, USA

Charger 6-cyl

While driving on the street approx. 40mph, the "battery saver" message appeared on the dash display followed by the radio turning off, and then the "ABS" light came on. After that the "traction control" light. Then it all went downhill from here pretty fast. Seatbelt light came on, A/C off, headlights dimming, then the dash went completely blank, then the car shut down completely, no power steering or brakes. The engine died and had total loss of all electrical systems. I was fortunate enough that I made it home where the car just died there.after the vehicle was stopped, noticed a strong electrical smell coming from the engine compartment. Upon further investigation, the smell was coming from the alternator. Battery was totally dead and really hot. Could not lock/unlock doors. My complaint is that the alternator should not fail after only driving my vehicle for 44636 miles let alone on a 3 year old car.

- Los Angeles, CA, USA

Charger 4WD 6-cyl

Getting another known Dodge issue fixed on my 2011, yes 2011 Dodge Charger at the dealership. They test drive it after replacing the valve cover gaskets and the car suddenly dies. The alternator went out. How can a 3 year old car with 70000 miles have a bad alternator?? that's unheard of. I have a car with 140,000 miles on it and have never had to replace the alternator. This is clearly an issue! the Dodge dealership service department has even said this is a known issue and these cars are notorious for that. Was also having issues with the headlight going out. Got it fixed and less than a month later it was recalled.

- Petaluma, CA, USA

Charger 6-cyl

While driving, "battery saver mode" message came up. From here, I could smell something coming from under the hood. Then the ABS light and traction control light came on. Was able to get it home, before trying to drive it again later after jumping it and it was completely dead. Was able to finally jump it long enough to get out of my driveway and into the street so it could be towed. Brought it to my dealership and they said it was a bad alternator. It is only a 2011 and has over 50K miles.

- Round Lake Beach, IL, USA

Oct 062014

Charger 6-cyl

This is the third day in a row of getting battery saver mode message in ivic. First day it came on while I was driving at approx. 50 mph and experienced power loss (radio shutting off, lights on dash illuminating, loss of steering, etc.) within 5 minutes. Pulled alternator (replaced both battery and alternator in may after same issue) and shop said it tested fine. Battery also tested fine. Put alternator and battery back in and car started up and drove for over an hour with no issues. Next day while sitting in traffic car again went into battery saver mode and I experienced same power loss within a few minutes. Called dealership after I parked at work and was told to bring it in right away. Went back outside to see if car would start and there were no issues. Car ran fine and drove fine for over an hour straight and the rest of the day. This morning I got the battery saver mode message while at a stop sign! I turned the car off and back on and car is still fine so far. I am afraid that something serious will happen while I have my kids in the car.

- Norfolk, VA, USA

Oct 012014

Loud whining noise followed by battery saver mode message.

- Stevens Point, WI, USA

Sep 242014

Charger 6-cyl

Car was making a whining noise (only had the car for 6 months) so I took it to the Dodge place to get diagnosed and paid for it. They informed me that my 160 amp alternator was bad. I drove the car home because I did not have the money to repair it. I barely made it home before I smelled a burning plastic like smell and the car began to make a different kind of noise. I have not drove it sense because it seems unsafe for my family and I and I don't have the money for the repairs at this time.

- Shandon, CA, USA

Oct 062014

Charger 6-cyl

Driving with my daughter in the car in heavy morning traffic and ivic message came on stating car was in battery saver mode. Second time in 4 months this has happened (got alternator and battery tested and replaced the first time) so I immediately turned around to head back home. By the time I got near my neighborhood about 5 minutes later everything was shutting off and I could only go 25 mph with no power steering. About a minute or so before the ivic message I noticed a slight whining coming from my engine compartment. If I jump the battery, car starts but still in battery saver mode.

- Norfolk, VA, USA

Aug 202014

Driving home at approximately 45mph, the message screen indicated "battery saver mode". at this time, the radio shut itself off, the air conditioning switched to full-blast heat, the speedometer stopped working, all lights shut off, the windshield wipers came on for a few swipes and then stopped, and the throttle response to the accelerator pedal would only allow me to reach around 30mph (on a 50mph highway). I managed to get the car into my neighborhood, but it died before I could park it. I had to put it in neutral and push it into a parking space.

- Crofton, MD, USA

Oct 032014

Charger 6-cyl

I was pulling into the residential area that I live in at approximately 17 mph and my stereo shut off, and I noticed on the dashboard a warning message that read "power saving mode" then the ABS light and the stability control light came on along with the lightning bolt came on, then the air shut off and it felt like the heater was turned on, the dashboard show the temperature being 105 and there was a weird smell that came through the ac vents. I was able to push the vehicle into my driveway and upon opening the hood of the vehicle you could feel the heat immediately and when attempting to jump start the car the car would turn on but then when the jumper cables where removed the vehicle's wipers began to wipe and the same issues as before began occurring. I called one of my friends that is a Dodge technician and he said that based on the information I told him he was 95% sure that it was a bad alternator. This is a 2011 Dodge Charger with 66,000 miles. This should be recalled immediately to help those that have had this problem and to avoid any more owners have this problem.

- Orange, CA, USA

May 012014

The contact owns a 2011 Dodge Charger. The contact stated that the front passenger side headlight burned out on three different occasions. The vehicle was taken to the authorized dealer for all three repairs to replace the bulb. However, the failure recurred. The contact received a notification for recall NHTSA campaign number: 14V101000 (electrical). The contact notified the dealer and they indicated that the parts were not available. The dealer was unable to provide a specific date when the parts would become available. The manufacturer was also contacted and could not provide an estimated date for when the vehicle would receive the recall repair. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was not available.

- Riverdale, IL, USA

Sep 172014

My 2011 Dodge Charger had a smell of a burnt altenator. Car ABS light came on and my radio turned off and there was a whining noise in the engine compartment. The car has electrical problems, the battery is in a power save mode I have not gone to the dealer yet. Its my 3rd incident with the car. Headlights and brakes. I will have to get it towed, I don't trust to drive it. It running on the battery only. It needs to be recalled

- Waukegan, IL, USA