2011 Dodge Charger electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Dodge Charger:

2011 Dodge Charger Owner Comments (Page 1 of 15)

Jun 152015

Takata recall. The contact owns a 2011 Dodge Charger. While driving at any speed, the check engine warning indicator flashed randomly, and the air conditioning and heating functions failed to work. The vehicle was taken to the dealer. The actuator, compressor, and thermostat were replaced, but the failure continued. The service engine indicator continued to illuminate and the vehicle drove roughly. The contact also received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 16V352000 (air bags). The dealer was unable to confirm when the parts would become available because they were on a national backorder. The manufacturer was not notified. The failure mileage was not available. VIN tool confirms parts not available.

- Manvel, TX, USA

May 012016

There is a recall for 2011 Dodge Chargers concerning a wiring harness that effects the low beam headlights. For some reason, only certain models were included in the recall. My model (R/T) is not included in the recall but I'm having the exact same problem that is listed in the recall. The recall number is PO8

- Jeffersonville, IN, USA

Sep 122016

Yesterday car was fine, no issues. This morning, I started my car and the touchscreen would not turn on, the radio will not work, but the ac was set to full blast, which I did not do. I could not turn the ac down or off. I tried turning the car off and back on, but the issue was still there. I also tried driving it a little, parking it back in my driveway, and turning it off and back on. 5 hours later I tried it all again, no radio, the ac is still blowing full blast and the touchscreen is still black and not operable, and now the evic is suddenly speaking in german and the evic steering wheel controls will not work. I am afraid to drive the car anywhere since I am not sure what else is not operating properly.

- Norfolk, VA, USA

Sep 112016

Car died at intersection with almost no warning. Lost all power with in 1 min of stall. Alternator is fried. Came to a stop and within 30 seconds a battery light came on and said "battery saver mode". bells started to ding and the wipers turned on. Tried to pull over and car stalled in middle of the road. Turned hazards on and 1 minute later there was no power at all. When we tried to jump the car in order to close the windows and sunroof, the connectors started to smoke where the jumpers were connected. For a high performance car there is no alternator warning or gauge to determine if it is starting to fail. That only shows that this is a known problem and they do not want customers to see what is happening. Car was running perfectly fine until that point.

- Toms River, NJ, USA

Aug 312016

The contact owns a 2011 Dodge Charger. The contact stated that the battery warning indicator illuminated. The contact replaced the battery. In addition, while driving the vehicle, an abnormal odor entered the interior. It was determined that the alternator assembly was on fire. The fire extinguished on its own. The vehicle was towed to a mechanic for further inspection and diagnostic testing. The VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 14V634000 (electrical system), which addresses the 160 amp. The contact had an 180 amp and experienced the failure. The VIN was not available. The approximate failure mileage was 72,000.

- Clearfield, UT, USA

Aug 152016

When leaving my house one day my radio cut off within 1 minute of the car being started. I pulled over, turned the car off and then turned the car back on and all sound went out again within 1 minute. I rode my whole trip with no sound. Upon arriving to my destination I noticed my car was in battery saver mode (a mode that I have never seen). My battery has been bad before and I never received this message. Within a week my car would not even start and had no electrical power. I attempted to do research on the battery saver mode and found out that this issue with my Charger is actually a common issue and was a recall for the V6 Chargers but not the V8S. The issue is the alternator and I am truly upset that the manufacturer has not created a recall to fix this issue. I have had several Honda's and Toyota's and never had an alternator issue. This is pathetic and goes to show how Dodge/Chrysler values their customers. I can honestly say that this will probably be my last Dodge vehicle if the manufacturer does not solve this issue.

- Miami, FL, USA

Jun 112016

I was driving on a two lane street and my car suddenly died while I was driving 30 mph. Smoke was coming from my hood most likely from a small fire. The alternator died on me and my car died while I was driving. I almost got in an accident but I was able to control the car with no power luckily. The alternator also killed my fuses and destroyed the batter so all of that was repaced.

- Damascus, MD, USA

Aug 162016

As I was driving I smelled a burning odor and also noticed my vehicle going into a battery protect, air conditioner shut off. I immediately pulled off the road and looked under the hood and smoke was coming from the alternator. I entered my vehicle and the vehicle had no power at all to start it to move it or get it out of gear.

- Clermont, FL, USA

Aug 022016

I have a 2011 Dodge Charger rt. The alternator failed without warning as I was driving. I lost control of the car because the power steering was gone. There was no power in the car. There was a small electrical fire under the hood. All of these things are covered under recall P60/NHTSA 14V-634 for 2011 through 2014 model year Dodge durango, Chrysler 300, Dodge challenger, Dodge Charger and 2012 through 2014 model year Jeep«Grand Cherokee vehicles equipped with a 3.6L engine and a 160 amp alternator. The same behavior exists in my vehicle, which has a 5.7-liter engine. I believe this is an oversight by the manufacturer. If you perform a google search you will find that many people with the ┐hemi┐ model Charger for that year range have the same problem. I could have been killed if I was driving on the freeway. Please look into this.

- Smyrna, GA, USA

Aug 052016

Alternator died out of no where at 56K miles and they don't want to take responsibility. I was driving on a busy street and all the lights went off and power steering went out, then power and rolled into a parking lot. Almost got killed driving and car went crazy with all lights and now is dead.

- Boca Raton, FL, USA

Aug 012016

Takata recall. The contact owns a 2011 Dodge Charger. The contact stated that there was a loss of power, the instrument cluster flickered, and the lights shorted out when the vehicle experienced an electrical failure. The failure recurred more than two times. The contact replaced the battery twice, but the failure continued. The contact stated there was a progressing burning odor during the failure. The VIN was excluded from NHTSA campaign number: 14V634000 (electrical system). While pulling out to drive on the road, the vehicle had a sudden loss of power and was pushed to a repair shop. The mechanic diagnosed that the alternator assembly was extremely hot and may need to be replaced. The contact was not notified of NHTSA campaign numbers: 16V043000 (structure) and 16V352000 (air bags). The contact was to check with the manufacturer to determine if they may provide a dealer to diagnose the failure and to schedule the two recall repairs. The failure mileage was not available. Parts distribution disconnect. VIN tool confirms parts not available.

- Cape Coral, FL, USA

Jul 172016

The contact owns a 2011 Dodge Charger. While driving 25 mph, the vehicle went into battery saver mode without warning. The contact stated that the forward collision warning system, anti-lock braking system, and electronic stability control became disengaged. The contact stated that there was also an abnormal smoke odor coming from the front of the vehicle. The contact stopped the vehicle, opened the hood, and noticed that the alternator was on fire. The contact was able to extinguish the fire. The vehicle was towed to the dealer, but was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 67,000.

- Freedom, PA, USA

Jul 072016

While driving on interstate doing 65 mph (and once while doing 25 mph) my lights, stereo and speedometer went out and car speed decreased. All lights on the dash light up/flash then after a few seconds everything go back to normal. Have happened several times while driving. And on two occasions the power steering fuses had to be replaced because they keep getting blown out. Have had alternator exchanged at last recall. Fearful that vehicle may stop in the line of traffic on the highway! have video of incident as it was happening. No pictures

- Hayti, MO, USA

Mar 012016

The contact owns a 2011 Dodge Charger. While parked, the air bag and tire pressure warning lights illuminated. The failure recurred whenever the vehicle was operated. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 100,000.

- College Park, MD, USA

Jun 212016

Alternator smoking. Electronic stability control light came on first, then a whining noise during the following week. Then dead battery. When battery replaced, alternator started smoking.

- Broken Arrow, OK, USA

Jun 162016

Driving home from work 65mph, all lights on dash went out, radio went dark, A/C blew super hot air and blinded me and engine died and wouldn't restart. I had to carefully get off road on the hottest day of the ear to find smoke coming from 5.7L engine. Small fire from alternator! almost hit 5 cars and almost got hit by 3. this is the same alternator from the previous P60 recall, but isn't covered because recall only affects 3.6L engines. Why would the recall cover one but not the other?

- Jefferson City, MO, USA

Apr 272016

Trunk latch stopped working and trunk light and trunk release button and no trunk ajar alarm lighting up on the dashboard. Stationary. The dealer stated the latch was fried and had to replace the whole unit and button.

- South Ozone Park, NY, USA

May 062016

Had a strong smell of electrical fire followed by battery light and battery saver mode, then shortly after they whole car shut down all the electrical systems and engine while driving on a 4 lane divided highway with my daughter in the car. Upon checking found the alternator had burnt out and it was not charging the battery. Upon changing the alternator and had no issues. However I do not believe a five-year-old car shouldn't need an alternator! not to mention after I first bought it they changed every computer in the car and every module in the car due to an electrical issue! I'm scared to parkette in my garage because of all the electrical problems!

- Lynchburg, TN, USA

May 032016

I was driving, with my son in the car, and my electrical system completely failed. My windows, steering, brakes, and etc. Stopped working while I was driving. Behind me was an log truck fully loaded. Thanks god there was just enough space for him to swurve around my car. This could have been a deadly accident. This all happen while my car was moving and I was able to get in a safe position before stopping the car. After it stopped, nothing worked in the vehicle.

- Bassfield, MS, USA

May 022016

I have the V8 5.7L rt Charger that has a 160V alternator. This exact alternator was recalled in the V6 models but not for the V8"?? my alternator went out with first showing signs of electrical problems, radio, lights and etc. After doing some research I have learned that this problem is the same with all the 2011-2014 alternators in the Chargers. Some people are having to replace these not just once but twice before the car is even 10 years old. Can someone please look into these alternators"

- Arlington, TX, USA