2011 Dodge Charger engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Dodge Charger:

2011 Dodge Charger Owner Comments (Page 2 of 3)

Oct 112014

Charger 6-cyl

Driving from philly to NJ at 2am on Sunday right before I entered the bridge lost power steering, ABS, radio and battery saver light came on I had my wife and 3 kids with me after a minute or so started losing the headlights. I just wanted to get to jersey side and stop somewhere and call for help. I was very lucky because got to rt.73 highway and mt.laurel police spotted me and helped me a lot by taking us home safe. I had my car towed to the nearest garage and they told me the alternator died so I called the Dodge dealership they said that no Dodge Chargers had that problem reported before I was "first". they were so rude on the phone and said just suck it up and pay $790. Well I got it fixed not at the dealership but at the gas station mechanic. I also paid $150 for towing and now I'm afraid that its going to fail again soon. I called the corporate right after I heard about the recall and they told me that my VIN it is not recalled. They still investigating for more VIN numbers.

- Mt.Laurel , NJ, USA

Nov 122014

The contact owns a 2011 Dodge Charger. The contact stated that while driving at approximately 55 mph, the steering wheel seized and the vehicle stalled as the battery saving mode warning light illuminated. The vehicle was towed to a private mechanic. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 77,000.

- Fredericksburg, VA, USA

Sep 222014

Charger 6-cyl

While I was driving on a main street my car stalled and I smelled smoke, my doors automatically locked and I had smelled smoke, I freaked out and took my keyless remote battery out and put back in any my doors unlocked, so I got myself and kids out asap, I had to call a tow truck and they towed my car to the dealership, there they diagnosed that it was the alternator, I had to buy one which was $500 or a little more.

- Houston, TX, USA

Oct 112014

Charger 6-cyl

Driving car and it started smoking. Had to pull off the side of the road it started losing power. Had to call a toll truck to take it to the dealership and they said I needed a new alternator. The car is a 2011 and only has 45,000 miles on it. This should not happen.

- Houston, TX, USA

Oct 072014

Charger 6-cyl

While driving, "battery saver mode" message came up. From here, I could smell something coming from under the hood. Then the ABS light and traction control light came on. Was able to get it home, before trying to drive it again later after jumping it and it was completely dead. Was able to finally jump it long enough to get out of my driveway and into the street so it could be towed. Brought it to my dealership and they said it was a bad alternator. It is only a 2011 and has over 50K miles.

- Round Lake Beach, IL, USA

Oct 062014

Charger 6-cyl

Driving with my daughter in the car in heavy morning traffic and ivic message came on stating car was in battery saver mode. Second time in 4 months this has happened (got alternator and battery tested and replaced the first time) so I immediately turned around to head back home. By the time I got near my neighborhood about 5 minutes later everything was shutting off and I could only go 25 mph with no power steering. About a minute or so before the ivic message I noticed a slight whining coming from my engine compartment. If I jump the battery, car starts but still in battery saver mode.

- Norfolk, VA, USA

Aug 202014

Driving home at approximately 45mph, the message screen indicated "battery saver mode". at this time, the radio shut itself off, the air conditioning switched to full-blast heat, the speedometer stopped working, all lights shut off, the windshield wipers came on for a few swipes and then stopped, and the throttle response to the accelerator pedal would only allow me to reach around 30mph (on a 50mph highway). I managed to get the car into my neighborhood, but it died before I could park it. I had to put it in neutral and push it into a parking space.

- Crofton, MD, USA

Sep 212014

Charger 6-cyl

Driving on the road at about 75 mph (the speed limit at the time) in the middle of nowhere Texas, my electrical systems started to shut down. The first thing we noticed turn off was the audio system and it wouldn't turn back on, then the climate control system. I checked the messages on my dashes message center and it told me the vehicle was in battery saver mode. Shortly thereafter (maybe another minute or two) the ABS and traction control indicators came on and all my gauges (speedometer and whatnot) all dropped to zero. The car was still in motion and we were lucky enough to find a road to pull off at (though we were no where near anything at the time). At that point I noticed the power steering, locks, windows, and anything electric went on the car too. After we turned off the car, it would not restart. After dealing with Chrysler and getting myself, my family, and my car back from midland to austin, it turns out the alternator went on it. This should not be an issue this early (approximately 26,000 miles) in the life of my car. Hopefully this gets added to the ongoing investigation (NHTSA action number: PE14022) for this issue.

- Austin, TX, USA

Sep 202014

Charger 6-cyl

Was driving and the power saver mode came on the car. Saw smoke, checked the engine and the alternator was smoking. Something needs to be done. This car is 3 years old with 60,000 miles on it. That is ridiculous. The car has not went through anything stenos. We are at a lost for words and then when called and asked about it there is nothing that can be done without further investigation. Please investigate, there are too many complaints about this. This is costing over 800 dollars, this is ridiculous on a low mile low year car, right after the warranty goes out. Please investigate and do something, thanks.

- Orangeburg, SC, USA

Sep 142014

Charger 6-cyl

Was driving car when radio shut off, ABS brake warning came on and car lost steering and brake power. Got car home and it stopped running. Tried to jump and drive to dealer but could not keep engine running, power worked off and on. Too dangerous to drive on highway with possible loss of control. $800 to replace alternator.

- Boca Raton, FL, USA

Sep 162014

Charger 6-cyl

Driving at 25 mph, warning lights came on for different functions. Odd sound coming from motor. The information message alert lit up. Checked it, and the message alert was "battery saver mode". odd smell (electrical) coming from the engine. Parked, closed windows, shut the car off. Went to restart car and it wouldn't start. Had a friend try to jump with cables, and it didn't work. Called for tow truck to come and take to dealer. I have a bumper to bumper lifetime warranty. Dealer can't "look" at it until tomorrow. It has been almost 2 hours wait for tow truck, (promised to be here an hour ago.)

- Sterling Heights, MI, USA

Sep 122014

I was driving noticed my car had a slight louder sound coming from the engine like it was rived up. As I was driving I noticed the ABS lights came on; traction light; and engine light all flashed across the screen and went off. Then I started smelling a strong burning smell I had mad it to my destination cut the car off. I went to crank the car back up ;nothing happened car had lost all prior my windows, doors all locked up would not roll up or down or doors unlock had to call a tow truck. Car had no power completely black screens everything shutdown.

- Gastonia, NC, USA

Sep 032014

Charger 6-cyl

I have a 2011 Dodge Charger that I saved up a long time to buy. Last week on 9/3/14 on my to take my kids to school the audio in the car went out. The touch screen still had functionality just no audio, figured a fuse may have blown. Check the fuses and everything seemed ok. Later on the same day, on the way to pick the kids up from school the radio was working fine. I approached a intersection and started to slow down when the radio cut off. The car started puttering and the inside gauges began flashing and the wipers just turned on by themselves. Next thing I know everything in the car shut off. The radio, the engine, the lights, everything. I could not get it to go into neutral to push the car out of the road because nothing in the car would come on.

- Cincinnati, OH, USA

Sep 042014

I got the "battery saver mode" warning on my car. I looked it up on the internet and a lot of people were complaining about Dodge Chargers and there alternators. The next morning I called the dealer ship to see what they think it is and if I can get in so they can look at the car, they also said it could be the alternator but could not get me in until the next morning but said it should be safe to drive. They look up my warranty and it was out of warranty for the alternator...I only have 38,600 miles on my car!! I should not be dealing with thing like this on a 3 year old car! luckily I bought a portfolio warranty that covers it but with $100 deductible but the catch is I have to go to the dealer where I bought it from! when there is a dealer 2 miles from where I am and the one I bought it from is about 25 minutes away. So I make the appointment and go to work, by the time I get to work my radio stopped working and ABS light turned on. I parked and smoke was coming from the alternator! I called the dealer back and told them what happen, they said I can bring it in now and leave it there and they will look at it the next day. So I have to leave work to take the car there and the car completely dies on the way there! I had to call a tow truck and get it towed all the way to the dealer. They were able to replace the alternator by the middle of the next day. But I have now had the car for 2 whole days and the battery saver mode just turned on again!!!!! so now in the morning I'm going to have to call the dealer again and see what to do now! replace another alternator!"!?!?!" this has to be a recall!! there should not be any of these problems on a car that is 3 years old and has less then 40,000 miles!!! this is ridiculous and I'm seriously looking at other cars to trade in for now! I am never buying Dodge again!! oh and the dealer wouldn't give me a loaner car for free!

- Santa Rosa, CA, USA

Sep 052014

The contact owns a 2011 Dodge Charger. The contact stated that while driving approximately 40 mph, the vehicle stalled. The vehicle was towed to the contact's residence. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 48,000.

- Lafayette, LA, USA

Aug 242014

Charger 6-cyl

On 8/24 I was driving about 30 mph when my car started cutting out. The radio went off, my engine died and my steering locked. I almost hit a pedestrian and what could have been a few cars but I was able to avoid it. I stopped and was able to start my car to get it to the side of the road. I had it towed home, next day I had it towed to momentum Dodge because I looked online and had 3 recalls, door handles, headlights and I don't know the 3rd one. I was hoping it was the problem. It was not. I then had my car towed to another shop who verified my alternator is out. As of now the only place I can the find the alternator is, of course, the Dodge dealer which I cannot afford.

- Vallejo, CA, USA

Aug 272014

While driving on highway at approx. 50 mph, the "batter saver" message appeared on the dash display followed by multiple systems shutting down along with multiple fault lights including brakes, ABS, bat. The engine stopped running and there was minimal control of the vehicle. Steering & braking were almost non existent. After pulling to the side of the highway, there was a strong electrical smell coming from the engine compartment. Upon further investigation, the smell was coming from the alternator. No electrical power was available to lock/unlock doors, turn on hazard lights, or place the car in neutral in order to pull the vehicle on to a tow truck.

- Azle, TX, USA

Aug 082014

Morning of the incident, heard a "whining" noise when car started. Drive short distance to work and home. While driving on highway in traffic going 25mph at 6pm, lost power to radio, power steering, ABS light flashed, brake light flashed, and strong electrical smell. When I finally got the car to the shoulder, itwas in battery saver mode and could not detect key for keyless entry. No electrical power. When I called Dodge dealer where it was towed, they said it would be $700 for parts and labor.

- Aldie, VA, USA

Aug 012014

Charger 6-cyl

My car started making a squeaky noise from the engine one morning, then as I drove it the radio went off and my battery said it was going into battery saving mode. My ac started to turn on and off, so I lowered my windows then my windows wouldn't go back up. I had numerous engine lights come. My windshield wipers where turning on and off. My power steering stopped working, so I pulled over. I turned my car off and it wouldn't turn on. I checked my battery the next morning to see if I needed a new one but it was fine. I jumped my car and drove it around a little and still had all the problems stated above with my headlights flashing on and off this time. I turned the car off and the lights inside where still flashing, so I unplugged the battery. My car is now at the Dodge dealer and they are telling me it might be alternator. I don't understand how this happens to a 2011 vehicle.

- Bakersfield, CA, USA

Jul 232014

I was driving and all of a sudden the car started smoking and then started to decelerate.I pulled over to the side to take a look under the hood and heard a buzzing/ringing noise from the engine.I slowly drove to auto zone to get a diagnostic and it read alternator.

- Morrow, GA, USA