2011 Dodge Charger engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Dodge Charger:

2011 Dodge Charger Owner Comments (Page 1 of 3)

Jun 152015

Takata recall. The contact owns a 2011 Dodge Charger. While driving at any speed, the check engine warning indicator flashed randomly, and the air conditioning and heating functions failed to work. The vehicle was taken to the dealer. The actuator, compressor, and thermostat were replaced, but the failure continued. The service engine indicator continued to illuminate and the vehicle drove roughly. The contact also received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 16V352000 (air bags). The dealer was unable to confirm when the parts would become available because they were on a national backorder. The manufacturer was not notified. The failure mileage was not available. VIN tool confirms parts not available.

- Manvel, TX, USA

Aug 122016

8/12/16 driving with my fiance and baby girl near home I noticed the battery saving mode warning, not long after navigation and radio shut off fearing the worst I began to head back home through small streets where less civilians and moving cars. Engine roaring like if it was trying to fight to get every last drop of the batteries power. As I was entering the gate to my home the car officially gave up and all the power completely died. I couldn't brake nor turn the wheel without giving it my whole body weight and pressure to prevent it from going head on into someones home. My fiance even had trouble unlocking the doors within the car to jump out and help in whatever way he thought he was going to help. And this was going on with the emergency brake on. Thankfully no collision occurred thanks to my quick thinking and luck. Hoping it was only the battery that was the problem I got it completely re-charged. When I reconnected it I noticed all lights turning on thinking problem solved, nevertheless immediately the engine began to shake and smoking up. Quickly turning it off I researched that a recall P60 for my make model and year are available for what happened to my car but sadly not my engine and alternator power wth. 4yrs 37307 miles on my 2011 Dodge Charger R/T mopar edition 5.7L V8 hemi on time with maintenance and payments why is this happening to me!! I cant afford paying anything extra other than what I signed up to pay I thought new car no problems im so wrong I had to take my car in for so many many recalls not including when I tried to solve the problems it was giving me before I even received notice that a recall was available for the problem, and now this! the alternator is fried and the radiator will be next I know because an engine is like our anatomy one affected part soon affects the next part that makes the other function. Hopefully im wrong.

- Lancaster, CA, USA

Jun 032016

The contact owns a 2011 Dodge Charger. While the vehicle was stationary, the engine malfunctioned and there was a ticking noise when the vehicle was idle. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the issue. The failure mileage was approximately 85,000.

- Nashville, TN, USA

Jun 162016

Driving home from work 65mph, all lights on dash went out, radio went dark, A/C blew super hot air and blinded me and engine died and wouldn't restart. I had to carefully get off road on the hottest day of the ear to find smoke coming from 5.7L engine. Small fire from alternator! almost hit 5 cars and almost got hit by 3. this is the same alternator from the previous P60 recall, but isn't covered because recall only affects 3.6L engines. Why would the recall cover one but not the other?

- Jefferson City, MO, USA

May 082016

V8 model, car went into battery save mode and shortly after the battery light came on while driving. Car almost died and I was fortunate to make it to a local dealer. The diagnosis was a bad alternator that wasn't outputting enough for the car. Car was in motion and it was a combination of street and roadway driving.

- Gulf Breeze, FL, USA

May 092016

44,000 miles and alternator failed resulting in $1000 expense.

- Grand Prairie, TX, USA

Aug 052015

The contact owns a 2011 Dodge Charger. The contact stated that the vehicle stalled without warning. The vehicle was towed to the contacts residence and then an independent mechanic where the alternator was replaced but the failure recurred. The contact noticed that the battery save mode and the brake warning indicators flashed when the vehicle stalled. The vehicle was taken back to the dealer where the alternator assembly was replaced a second occasion under a manufacturer recall. The contact stated that a week after the repair, the service engine warning light illuminated. The vehicle was then taken to an independent mechanic where it was informed that the thermostat was not properly closed and that a diagnosis needed to be performed. The vehicle was also included in NHTSA campaign number: 16V046000 (electrical system) but the part was not available. The manufacturer was notified of the failures. The approximate failure mileage was 92,000. Parts distribution disconnect.

- Los Angeles, CA, USA

Nov 242015

The contact owns a 2011 Dodge Charger. The contact stated that while driving at approximately 25 mph, all the vehicle warning indicators illuminated and the engine failed. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 84,000.

- Baton Rouge, LA, USA

Nov 062015

The contact owns a 2011 Dodge Charger. While driving at an unknown speed, the check engine warning light illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer. The technician diagnosed that there was an internal evaporation leak, which caused carbon monoxide to emit into the vehicle. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was repaired. The failure mileage was 74,657.

- Magnolia, AR, USA

Jul 132015

I owned and purchased my 2011 Dodge Charger since 5-17-2014. On 7-13-2015, my son was getting ready to leave art institutes of atlanta/Decatur, the 2011 Charger he was operating would not crank. After the wrecker arrived to get ready and tow, the car cranked and he made it home from Decatur, ga to mcdonough, ga. The next day, 7-14-2015, I tried to start the car and it wouldn't crank till I called a wrecker on 7-16-15 to tow the vehicle to landmark Dodge in morrow, ga. They called me on 7-20-2015 and informed me my warranty or Chrysler would not cover the issue bothering the car (lost engine ground and melted ground wire, left side engine at motor mount). They tested the electric system, starter, starter wiring and relay, and tightened all engine grounds, replaced engine ground left side at motor mount. It was repaired on 7-20-2015. The repair came up to $308.29 (parts and labor). Please investigate this matter on the 2011 Charger before it happens to someone else and it really costed me. Updated 9/28/15

- Mcdonough, GA, USA

Jul 282015

First the ABS and ESC lights came on then the message battery saver mode then the radio turned off and the ac stopped blowing cold air then the battery light came on. I turned off the car and tried to start it but it would not start but the windshield wipers did come on for 1 pass and the speedometer and tac also did 1 pass left to right and back slowly. Checked the internet and seen others with same problem cause by the alternator and their is a current recall on the V6 but I have the hemi V8. Had the car towed to the Dodge dealer.

- Alexandria, AL, USA

Jul 202015

On 07/20/2015 at around 1:15 I parked my vehicle in concord mills mall parking lot, went in to return a product. I returned to my car around 1:25, attempted to start my vehicle(push button start) it cycled to the "run" position, but the car didn't start. After about 4 attempts I knew something was wrong because I smelt a "burnt electrical smell". I exited the vehicle and popped my hood, I took a look around at all physical features of the engine to try and locate a visual problem. Nothing was visible to my eye, I then got back into the vehicle and attempted to start the vehicle again, after a few attempts I called to my local dealership to ask a couple questions on what might be going on, after some speculation we came to check my fuses. I then exited the vehicle and took a look at my fuse box located under my hood, I noticed that I had a 30amp 58V "boxed shaped fuse" that had blown. I visited a near by advance auto parts store to purchase a fuse, they did have one so I purchased the fuse and returned to the vehicle to install. Once I returned to the vehicle I disconnected my "+ positive" battery terminal and installed the fuse. Afterwards I reconnected the battery terminal and attempted to start the vehicle again. Once again I got nothing, I also checked the fuse and it had blown again. I then contacted a tow truck and was towed to henedrick Dodge on 7/20 around 5:45. They contacted me on 7/21 and I was told that my engine wire harness had melted!! and that it had shorted out my starter. I'm very upset because I feel that this engine harness could have caught fire. My obd didn't make me aware of any type of issue or no check engine light ever came on. My car has been serviced on time to factory standards at only Dodge dealerships. No major work has ever been done to my vehicle before also. I'm getting the $1600 fix but feel bother that something could catch fire.

- Statesville, NC, USA

Jun 192015

6/19/15 the car was taken to the dealer originally for a recall on the alternator. After the job was completed I drove the car home and had trouble shutting it off. After shifting it through the gears several times it shut off. The next day I had the same problem. I took it to the dealer the next weekend and they could not replicate the problem. I took the car home and it shut off fine. The next day the problem started again. I took it back to the dealer and this time they were able to replicate the problem and was told to shift it through the gears and it would be fine. Also told that the only way to shut the car off was to remove a fuse to the fuel injection. Truly not an acceptable answer. 7/13/15 the car wouldn't shut off at all. Drove it to the dealer and it's been there ever since. I have been told several different things by the dealer, lithia Dodge, medford, or. The latest is an actual Dodge corporate engineer is supposed to call them back. Not exactly sure how a car can be designed without an alternate way to shut it off if the push button start and stop does not work. The dates are approximate as my paperwork is in the car.

- White City, OR, USA

Mar 282015

Charger 6-cyl

Received message on console why driving "battery saver mode" drove 1 mile and pulled into gas station. While parked and car running radio, ABS, stability control systems all went offline. I turned the car off and smelled electrical burning. Opened hood and burning smell was stronger. I returned to the car and all electrical power was completely drained. Towed to Dodge dealership after calling Chrysler recall hotline.

- Everett, MA, USA

Oct 242014

Charger 6-cyl

Bought 2011 Charger in July, 2014. On October 22nd, I noticed a funny smell, but could not locate. On October 24, my car started making a whining sound that got louder over next 3 miles. I pulled over to a parking lot, notice smoke coming from under hood. I lift hood and see oil leaking out of timing chain cover onto alternator. My car shut off, won't start, and battery saver mode light flashing, gauges acting weird, and lights dimming. After about 15 minutes, I started car to get home with it, drove maybe 2 miles and car started to melt down including wipers coming on, radio on and off, door buzzers coming on, instrument panel light on and off, lights flashing, air bag warnings, etc. This continued for next couple miles until a complete shut down right at the railroad tracks! I barely got out of lane. After about 10 minutes, I got car to start and made it over the tracks to a parking lot. My husband came, called Dodge dealership, they sent tow truck that took it to dealership. Service manager called us 5 days later, said it was alternator and they would fix for $850. My husband said no, we're not paying because of recall issued on October 8th, that they needed to repair for free with better quality parts, and that I needed a rental until my car was fixed, or they could by my car back because we don't feel safe in it. Service manager denied recall, said it was media hype, and that he would have sales manager call us. We did not hear back from Dodge service department until February 10, 2015, when they informed rental company they were not paying bill for my rental for last 4 months, even though my car still not fixed and in same parking space at dealership it's been in since Oct. 24. I called and made report to Chrysler Corp. And now is a case under special investigations, which was supposed to be settled in 2 business days. Still waiting! shameful!

- Talking Rock, GA, USA

Jan 092015

The contact owns a 2011 Dodge Charger. The contact stated that while driving 5 mph, the battery power save mode warning indicator illuminated on the instrument panel and the vehicle stalled. The vehicle failed to restart. The vehicle was towed to the dealer. The technician diagnosed that the battery and alternator would need to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. In addition, the contact stated that fuel fumes were present inside the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to the dealer, who diagnosed that a seal needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired, but the failure persisted. The vehicle was taken back to the dealer who replaced the fuel pump and fuel tank. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 41,000.

- Encino , CA, USA

Apr 042014

Charger 8-cyl

On April 4th approximately 11 pm, my 2011 Dodge Charger shut down while driving I had no electrical power what so ever, no warning prior to issues, replaced the battery along with the alternator assembly, was told by Dodge no longer under warranty and there were no recalls ton my vehicle, the according to my mechanic, the alternator caused an overcharge on the battery. Luckily at this time of night there was not a lot of traffic and I was near a fire station they came out and helped me get it off the road to a safe place behind the station.

- Melbourne, FL, USA

Sep 272013

Hi we need your help to warn and let the public know what Dodge is doing to there customers. About 3 months ago my 4 month pregnant girl was driving our 2011 dodger to work, she was on the high way on the center lane when the car with a warning just completely shut down. She had no control of the car, luckily the traffic was not bad that she mange to walk a cross the highway and call her father. He went to get her and pushed the car to the breakdown lane. We had the car towed to a mechanic and he said our alternator was completely burned and he said he never seen one that bad. We contacted Dodge and they told us they was not aware of any problems, but on the Dodge forum online hundreds of Dodge Charger owners was having the same problem. We been contacting Dodge for 3 months now while spending money on rental and they finally told us its been recalled, but they don't have a preminent fix for it all they can do is a temporary fix and it can burn out again.

- New Bedford, MA, USA

Nov 182013

The contact owned a 2011 Dodge Charger. Immediately after starting the vehicle, the engine caught fire. The vehicle was destroyed. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The failure mileage was 68,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Laurel , MD, USA

Dec 042014

The contact owns a 2011 Dodge Charger. The contact stated that while traveling approximately 60 mph, the vehicle suddenly decelerated to 25 mph or lower and made a loud noise when the accelerator pedal was depressed. The contact indicated that the ABS sensor, traction control sensor, the gauges illuminated before the instrument cluster shorted without warning. The contact indicated that as the vehicle reduced speed it stalled and was not able to restart. The vehicle was towed to an authorized dealer. The contact was included in recall NHTSA campaign id number: 14V634000 (electrical system). However, the parts needed were not available to repair the vehicle. The contact was waiting on a remedy from the manufacturer to determine when the dealer would repair the vehicle. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 29,600.

- Quincy, MA, USA