2011 Dodge Charger lights problems

lights problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Dodge Charger:

2011 Dodge Charger Owner Comments (Page 3 of 6)

Mar 152014

Charger

The contact owns a 2011 Dodge Charger. The contact stated while driving the low beam headlights malfunctioned and failed to function. The contact discovered that the headlight wire harness melted. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who diagnosed that the headlight sub-harness had overheated causing the defect. The manufacturer was notified of the failure and no solution was offered. The contact was informed that the vehicle was not included in the NHTSA recall campaign number 14V101000(lights). The contact stated the vehicle experienced that the same defect listed in the recall. The failure mileage was 73,600.

- Versailles, KY, USA

Feb 142014

Charger 6-cyl

I have replaced the driver side headlamp 2 times now found the connector charred and brittle. I purchased the vehicle in January 2014 and saw lamp replacement done by the dealership I bought it from in the carfax so 3 times this bulb has been replaced since January. This is a potential fire hazard and Chrysler needs to address this problem. I happen to work for Chrysler and am an electrician and know the potential of the problem. The problem is a loose connection which cause excessive heat. I put dielectric grease on the connector to help with the condition. Time will only tell if this helps. I also have gotten a battery saver message which leads me to believe the alternator is about to go not to happy!!.

- Davis, IL, USA

Mar 192014

Charger 6-cyl

The following are issues I'm having with my vehicle: 1. the headlights had to be replaced due the light socket being melted. I researched the matter and it appears that the 2011 Chargers 3.6L have a problem where the wire harness melts for the low beam lights. The mechanic told me that this was a fire hazard. 2. the alternator went bad at 64,000 miles in which it completely killed my battery. Now I have replaced the headlights, battery, and alternator. What is Chrysler waiting on to recall these issues" apparently this year make and model has electrical issues. Do we need to wait until several consumers have accidents or maybe die before someone does something about vehicles and their recalls" other manufacturers like Toyota, GMC have had many accidents and deaths and now after almost a decade they are recalling the vehicles. I have 2 small kids that commute to school in my vehicles daily. These issues need to be recalled.

- Lake Placid , FL, USA

Sep 022013

Charger

The contact owns a 2011 Dodge Charger. The contact stated that the front passenger's side headlight continuously failed. The contact replaced the bulb multiple times but the failure was recurring. Additionally, the contact found that the low beam headlight wiring harness was melted into the bulb fixture. The vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign id numbers: 12V042000 (electrical system, exterior lighting, service brakes, hydraulic) or 12V197000 (electrical system, service brakes, air). The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired or inspected for diagnosis of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 40000.

- Columbus, OH, USA

Jan 022014

Charger 6-cyl

Passenger side headlight started flickering was driving in bad fog could not use high beams the more we drove the worse the flickering became. All of a sudden it seemed like we lost all headlights we were able to pull over got out to check lights and the low beam headlight was out. We finally made it home. The next day went to check the lights and found the low beam wiring harness melted. I started looking online and came to find numerous web sites with people having the same issue and Chrysler has only recalled the police issue vehicles. To me Chrysler knows there is an issue but do not want to fix it. I have paid over $200 to get it fixed. I have called Chrysler numerous times and have gotten no where with them.

- Lubbock, TX, USA

Mar 182014

Charger

The contact owns a 2011 Dodge Charger. The contact stated that the headlights intermittently failed. The vehicle was taken to a private mechanic where it was found that the wiring harness had failed. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was contacted about the failure. The failure mileage was not available.

- Buford, GA, USA

Sep 112012

Charger

The contact owns a 2011 Dodge Charger. The contact stated that the headlight bulb continuously overheated and caused the wiring harness to become melted. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where the technician verified the failure and notified her that the vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 12V042000 (electrical system, exterior lighting, service brakes, hydraulic). The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 35,000 and the current mileage was 70,000.

- Indianapolis, IN, USA

Mar 132014

Charger 6-cyl

Front passenger side low beam headlight molex (harness) disfigured and inoperable. Apparently the part failed due to an overheated bulb harness connector, similar to NHTSA campaign #12V042000, and Chrysler recall number M01.

- Freehold, NJ, USA

Nov 062012

Charger 6-cyl

TL - the contact owns a 2011 Dodge Charger. The contact stated that the low beam headlamp stop working without any warnings. The contact mentioned that while attempting to change the bulb he noticed that the harness had melted. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer for diagnostic testing. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure and refused to provide any assistance since the vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 12V042000 (electrical system, exterior lighting, service brakes, hydraulic). The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 30,000 and the current mileage was 46,000.

- Bunker Hill, WV, USA

Jan 282014

Charger 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2011 Dodge Charger. The contact stated that while driving at approximately 30 mph, the headlights suddenly failed to illuminate. The contact noticed that the bulb harness connector was burned. The contact referenced NHTSA campaign id number 12V042000 (electrical system, exterior lighting, service brakes, hydraulic) but stated that the VIN was not included in the recall campaign. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the problem. The approximate failure mileage was 72,000.

- Temple Hills, MD, USA

Feb 262014

Charger 6-cyl

The passenger side low beam headlight went out the other day and when I went to change it the connector that attaches to the bulb was melted. Two week later the drivers side low beam light did the same thing. The bulbs that were in there at the time the connectors melted were oem rated bulbs. I contacted the dealer and they said the only thing available at the time was to buy the entire wiring harness and that would run close to $800.

- Wichita, KS, USA

Aug 302013

Charger

A co-worker informed me that my driver's side headlight was out on the 30th of August. When I changed out the bulbs for the headlamps, I noticed that the wiring harness showed signs of overheating. The driver's side headlamp worked for a short period of time and then went out. Upon taking the car to the dealership, they indicated they didn't think repair would be covered under the warranty. I subsequently went online and found two recalls for 2011/2012 dodger Charger police vehicles that match my problem exactly. The recalls are #94303 and #94301. When I called Dodge about this, they took my VIN and told me my car wasn't covered under the recall and wouldn't be covered unless enough people complained about it. These recalls state "the low beam headlamps of some vehicles could fail due to an overheated bulb harness connector." Both of my low beam headlamp bulb harness connectors have black marks indicating overheating.

- Horseheads, NY, USA

Feb 202014

Charger 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2011 Dodge Charger. The contact stated that the driver's side headlight suddenly failed. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was found that the bulb harness had failed and needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was contacted about the failure and informed the contact that the vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign number 12V042000 (electrical system, exterior lighting, service brakes, hydraulic). The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was approximately 55,000. Updated 03/31/14

- San Gabriel, CA, USA

Feb 202014

- San Gabriel, CA, USA

Aug 012013

Charger

The contact owns a 2011 Dodge Charger. The contact stated that the driver's side low beam head light would not illuminate and a burning odor was present inside the vehicle. The contact discovered that the driver's side low beam head light bulb harness had overheated and melted. The contact stated that the driver's side head light bulb had been replaced multiple times. The vehicle was diagnosed by the dealer but not repaired. The contact was informed that the defect was caused by a faulty head light bulb harness connector and that the connector needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified and no solution was offered. The failure mileage was 62,000.

- Rockingham, NC, USA

Feb 112014

Charger

The contact owns a 2011 Dodge Charger. The contact discovered that the low beam headlight wiring harness was melted. The contact replaced the bulb and the plug. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer or a mechanic for inspection of the failure. The manufacturer was notified of the issue. The approximate failure mileage was 95,500.

- Emory, TX, USA

Jan 162014

Charger 6-cyl

On January 19th 2014 I was driving to work and the car went into battery saver mode the ABS light came on, the radio shut off and the car started to shake and it went dead on a busy intersection. I had it towed to pep boys they changed the battery just so I can get it to Dodge to replace the alternator it was a factory defect in the alternator wiring which is not on the recall list so, I had to pay $700. When I got the car back 2 days later. I noticed when I'm driving one headlight goes out. I saw a recall on the 2011 Charger police vehicles headlight harness burning out but nothing on the base model SE which are having the same problem. I pay too much money a month for this car to come out of pocket for these factory defects. Dodge/Chrysler need to do something about this or they will lose alot of customers.

- Jersey City, NJ, USA

Nov 062013

Charger

The contact owns a 2011 Dodge Charger. The contact stated that while driving 55 mph, the driver's side head light failed. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for inspection where they stated that the wiring harness had melted and shorted out the bulb. The dealer stated that both the wiring harness and the bulb needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired but the failure recurred on the passenger's side of the vehicle. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 51,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Bethel Park , PA, USA

Jan 152014

Charger 6-cyl

Headlight connection plugs melted lights don't work on low beams. Police vehicles have been recalled for this problem but not all others. Dealer wont fix wants me to pay for it. I think Chrysler know that there is a problem because that why they recalled all police vehicles. I think this is a safety problem, when driving at night and your lights go out from light plugs melting and I or my wife and kids cant see the road and possible get into a wreck or plugs get hot enough to catch the car on fire. Something need to be done.

- Chowchilla, CA, USA

Jan 172014

Charger 6-cyl

My driver's side low beam headlight went out. I discovered the jumper harness connector melted, causing the light to go out. The headlight is fine, the jumper harness connector melted, causing the bulb to malfunction. I know that Chrysler has recalled 2011 and 2012 Charger police vehicles for this same problem, which clearly indicates there's a defect in manufacturing. So, I believe all Dodge Chargers should be recalled for this problem due to safety concerns for night time driving and possible fire hazard. Shouldn't civilian's cars be just a safe as a police vehicles?

- Garden City, MI, USA