2012 Dodge Charger drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Dodge Charger:

2012 Dodge Charger Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

Jun 232014

First, I received warning for "battery saver mode" on dashboard. Later in the day, I took car to dealership for a service visit and the car shut down right there. All lights went crazy and car put itself in neutral very violently. I am afraid of this car and what it may do if this were to happen at a higher speed. Once the car took over control, I could not shut it off, put it in gear, or anything else for that matter. Dealer says its simply a bad battery and I am very leery of the dealer's diagnosis at this point.

- Little Rock, AR, USA

May 032014

Parked auto on gravel parking lot. The drive select did go into the park position upon shut-down and the engine did not turn off when the ignition button was depressed. No engine sound apparent due low RPM and good sound suppression material. Excited the vehicle and locked car door.the car did not move as I left the area.subsequent to my departure, the torque built up enough to propel the car across the parking lot and into a tree in front of a private resident adjacent to the fair grounds.

- Laurel, MD, USA

May 212014

Charger 6-cyl

While driving 35 mph, I smelled something burning. My battery light came on and the car shut down. I had it towed to the closest Dodge dealer. The dealership has reported that my alternator, serp belt & tensioner need to be replaced at a cost of $876!!!!! with all the other complaints that are very similar to mine, I feel a recall is in order!!!....updated 07/23/14

- Bullhead City, AZ, USA

May 142014

Charger 6-cyl

We were driving and the ABS and skid lights illuminated on the dash, all the function lights illuminated the steering column locked and the car just halted and stalled. Everything was dead, unable to start and the wipers were going. The wipers were never turned on but kept running despite the car being "dead" wipers in off position. Towed home and then to dealership (dealership has no off hour gate access) told (2) days later the battery was dead on a 2 yr old vehicle, then I received a second call stating the alternator was the culprit. The alternator needs replacement, and no one can explain the rhyme or reason why it needs to be replaced on a 2yr old vehicle. The vehicle also has automatic push start and will not work sometimes unless the remoteless key is pressed to start the vehicle on the start-button (instead of pressing with finger, use the remote less entry- I was told this resets the reading- having to do this once/twice a month).

- Austin, TX, USA

Feb 072014

Charger 6-cyl

The automatic transmission will not shift properly. It gets stuck in second gear.

- Bartlett , TN, USA

Jan 132014

Charger 6-cyl

I was driving my car and all of a sudden it died on me, it gave me no warning signs of any type. I had it towed to shop and they told me that my alternator and battery were gone. Im wondering how could that be if I just got vehicle last year brand new with 0 miles on it. I don't drive my car rough or anything I take very good care of this vehicle so how can this be.

- Jackson, MS, USA

Dec 112012

Charger 6-cyl

Since 2012 Dec 11 I have brought the car into the dealership numerous times complaining of a loss of performance/ ability to pass confidently and every time been sent away from the dealership with the same problem not being fixed. I have experienced a loss of power, loss of fuel economy (from 23mpg city to 15 mpg city), rough idle/shudder at idle consistently since the M30 recall was performed. Consistently I am being left to pay for this potential safety issue with no fix from Chrysler's dealership or Chrysler customer care directly. The problems happen without presenting any error codes though visual evidence exists pertaining to the problem. I feel that it is only a matter of time until the loss of power presents a severe safety issue while trying to pass in highway road conditions. Despite my involvement with Chrysler I feel that when other cars start experiencing this series of issues, Chrysler will be caught unaware placing potentially thousands of Dodge Charger owner's in harm's way without a significant means of repair.

- Longview, TX, USA

May 062013

Charger 6-cyl

We bought this vehicle on May 6, 2013, two hours later the check engine light went on. Took it to autozone and hooked it to the computer said it was the transmission. Proceeded to take it to the dealer on May 7th 2013 where they ran a test and found code P0741 -U0002- checked for contaminated fluid, relearned transmission serviced transmission, reset computer. The car was in the shop again on May 30th 2013 for the passenger side window (electrical). We got the car back on June 1st 2013 and the window did not work so as we were waiting for Monday June 3rd to take it back to the shop, the check engine light came on again. We are waiting to hear from the dealership as to what is wrong this time. We have only had physical possession of this vehicle for 4 1/2 days since the purchase, it is still in the shop being fixed. We had gone to the Dodge website and found that this particular vehicle has previously been in the shop 3 times for electrical problems.

- Seymour, TN, USA

Jan 012013

Car rolled eventhough vehicle was in park and vehicle was not running. 1st incident happened within 10 min of walking away from car, rolled into another car. 2nd incident happened nearly 2 hours after being parked, and 3rd incident happened within 1 hour of being parked on slight incline. Dealer unable to recreate incident. Factor rep called Dodge, Dodge called transmission mfg and had valve com replaced. No further incident 2nd problem, windshield has wave in glass, wipers leaving large streaks causing driver to have safety issue. Dealer polished windshield 3X to no avail. Contacted Dodge waiting for factory rep to authorize replacement of windshield on going for almost 10 months.

- Vernon, CT, USA

Jun 062012

I purchased a brand new 2012 Dodge Charger on March 23, 2012. Shortly after the purchase I noticed the car had a hard shift when I shifted through the gears (park, reverse, neutral, and drive), and I could hear a loud pop when I was shifting. I thought the loud pop was coming from the transmission. I was finally able to get the vehicle to the dealership to have it diagnosed. The problem is actually a bad axle. They said the axle is not fitting properly in the vehicle. I have not had the vehicle 6 months and I do not even have 2500 miles on it. I believe the vehicle left the manufacturing plant in this condition. I am concerned other vehicles on the road may have this issue, but the owner may not be aware of this because they do not know what to look for or just may not notice the shifting issue.

- Detroit, MI, USA