2012 Dodge Charger drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Dodge Charger:

2012 Dodge Charger Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Aug 112016

Charger

The contact owns a 2012 Dodge Charger. After the vehicle was repaired per NHTSA campaign number: 16V240000 (power train), the contact began to experience a failure. The contact stated that the shifter failed to lock into the desired position. The contact heard a loud clonking noise coming from the transmission. The dealer diagnosed that the repair caused the transmission to fail. The contact was unsure of the details of the repair. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was unknown.

- New Bern, NC, USA

Sep 262016

Charger

The contact owns a 2012 Dodge Charger. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 16V240000 (power train); however, the part to do the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The contact had not experienced a failure.

- Newport News, VA, USA

Sep 132016

Charger

The contact owns a 2012 Dodge Charger. While driving approximately 60 mph, there was a rattling noise coming from underneath the vehicle, the contact coasted over to the side of the road and was able to resume driving. The engine stalled without warning, but the vehicle was able to restart. The failure recurred numerous times. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where it was diagnosed that the PCM module failed. The contact was advised to take the vehicle to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the throttle body needed to be cleaned. The dealer installed a PCM software, but the failure recurred. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 126,000.

- Pinson, AL, USA

Aug 172016

Charger

The contact owns a 2012 Dodge Charger. While driving 55 mph, the vehicle started to make a loud noise and jerked violently. The contact coasted the vehicle into a driveway and shifted the gear into park, but the gear shifter failed to shift out of park. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed, but not repaired. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign numbers: 15V467000 (air bags, seat belts), 16V043000 (structure), and 16V240000 (power train). The parts needed for the repair were not available. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 24,166. Parts distribution disconnect.

- Cave City, AR, USA

Aug 162016

Charger

The contact owns a 2012 Dodge Charger. The contact stated that the vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was remedied per NHTSA campaign number: 16V240000 (power train). Ater leaving the dealer, the check engine and transmission warning indicators illuminated. The vehicle could not be driven over 20 mph. The vehicle was taken back to the dealer, but the diagnosis was unknown. The manufacturer was notified of the issue. The failure mileage was approximately 30,000.

- Stantonsburg, NC, USA

Jan 112015

Charger

The contact owns a 2012 Dodge Charger. While the vehicle was parked, it began to roll backwards without warning. The vehicle was not diagnosed nor repaired. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 16V240000 (power train) and stated that he had not spoken with the dealer or manufacturer since first receiving the notification. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 12,900. Updated 09/30/16

- Roebuck, SC, USA

Apr 252016

Charger

Takata recall. The contact owns a 2012 Dodge Charger. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign numbers: 16V240000 (power train) and 16V352000 (air bags); however, the parts to do the repairs were unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repairs. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The VIN was unknown. The contact had not experienced a failure. Parts distribution disconnect.

- Elgin, TX, USA

Feb 142016

Charger

Alternator began running hot and started burning through the casing. Car smelled like burnt plastic. Also, the heat slightly melted the nearby radiator, which caused a leak and it needing to be replaced as well. This sounds exactly the same as the alternator recall on other Dodge Charger models in the 2012 year...but mine is the V8 engine and I was told the recall did not apply.

- Houston, TX, USA

Sep 192015

Charger

Vehicle rollaway, engine on. Re: ODI PE15-30 and ea 16-002. I exited my vehicle with the engine running and the transmission was not in park. The vehicle hill start assist gave me enough time to exit the vehicle and then it began to roll backward. The open driver's side door knocked me down and dragged me 50 feet. My right leg and foot went under the left front wheel which pulled me out from under the open door. The vehicle continued rolling backward over an embankment and crashed on the road below. The vehicle was a total loss and I sustained a severe sprain to my right foot. I have pictures and an insurance claim report to provide proof of this incident.

- Aliquippa, PA, USA

Jan 142016

Charger

On 1-14-16, while driving, heard a "thump" type noise in my right rear. This also activated my check engine light. Also I noted significant reduction in ability to accelerate, as in the car was stuck in a higher gear. Drove straight to my local mechanic. The car would not turn off or go into park. However, my mechanic located certain codes in his check, being, P1dc7-00, P215C-00, P1db6-00, U1412-00, and P1915-00. He then located a recall for the 2013 Dodge Charger for a related transmission issue. The same "symptoms" are listed in that recall, as to what happened with my car. The same type of engine (3.6 liter, with 8 speed automatic transmission). I contacted Dodge, and they seemed less than concerned to check into this, due to the VIN number to my car, was not in the recall. They just wanted me to get it to a dealership to have it properly diagnosed. Vehicle is well maintained, and has about 44,500 miles on it.

- Monroe, LA, USA

Nov 302015

Charger

I started my vehicle and pulled out of my garage as I do each morning. As I went down the driveway at almost idle speed, I could feel a strong resistance (as if the emergency brake was on) and the power steering tightened up. Suddenly a strong burning smell filled the car, all of the lights on the dash came on and the ac fan blew on high speed. I immediately reversed back to the garage (100 feet or less) and was barely able to park. There was obviously something burning under the hood as the smell filled the garage. I turned off the car. When aaa arrived to tow it, the car was completely dead. The driver chose not to jump it for fear of doing more damage. My local trusted mechanic advised me that there was a recall on 2012 Dodge Charger alternators and he believed that it was my alternator that had failed. I had the car towed to arrigo sawgrass Dodge where they confirmed that the alternator had in fact failed and was burning. He said the recall did not include my VIN and that Chrysler would not cover my expenses. My 16 year old son and I were lucky we were in the driveway, lucky the fire didn't ignite while we were sleeping and lucky my son (a new driver) was not faced with a totally disabled vehicle on the road. According to the recall, this failure created a high risk of crash. Had we been on any road instead of my driveway, we could have been killed.

- Parkland, FL, USA

Oct 232015

Charger

Chrysler is recalling 20,283 my 2006-2009 Charger and magnum 2012 vehicle built with the police package and equipped with a column shifter. The gearshift cable become disengaged from the steering column mounting bracket and cause an incorrect transmission gearshift position display. Have same issues in the 2012 models this has not been fixed and dealership and Chrysler refused to fix under the recall of 2009.

- Sayre, PA, USA

Mar 202015

Charger 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2012 Dodge Charger. While driving at approximately 10 mph, the accelerator pedal was depressed, but the vehicle failed to accelerate. The vehicle was taken to a dealer, but was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was unknown. Updated 11/06/15 updated 12/24/15.

- Kenner, LA, USA

Jul 272015

Charger

Dodge has known issues and recalls for alternators being defective in their 2012 Charger models but continues to make customers pay out of pocket to fix the issue. I purchased a 2012 Dodge Charger April 2012 cash. Recently my alternator stopped working on the car. I took the car to the nearest Dodge in my area to have test ran on the battery and alternator, the battery tested good but they would not test the alternator unless I paid a $100 fee which I could have done for free at the nearest parts dealer (autozone, O'riely's). I recently repaired my car out of pocket $300 with no assistance from Dodge, but before doing so I saw there has been over 450,000 recalls for the same issue of alternators prematurly going bad. I called 8008531403 and 8009921997 and spent over 2 hours on the phone without a resolution, the first rep advised the recall is VIN specific andnothing applies to my VIN, I tried to explain to the rep that this has been a known isssue for Dodge models made since 2010-2013 and my car was produced within that time frame. The rep advised me to take it in for a diagnostic and I could submit for a possible reimbursment if its determined its fault Dodge. I advised I was not comfortable with doing so if I cant be garaunteed I will be reimbursed, I then asked for a supervisor. The supervisor pamela (id PH314) was rude from the start of the call call and told me its not her concern if my car gets repaired. I love my car and have been considering purchasing my fiance a 2015-2016 model but after how I was treated I am strongly changing my mind.

- Antioch, TN, USA

Feb 042014

Charger 8-cyl

While I was driving, the steering wheel (power steering system) became very hard to handle. I ran off road, due to the hard steering/wet road and hit a guard rail. Once I impacted the guard rail, the steering continued to be hard to handle plus the brakes was very hard.

- Baton Rouge, LA, USA

Oct 152014

Charger

The contact owns a 2012 Dodge Charger. The contact stated that while driving approximately 35 mph, an abnormal noise emitted from the front of the vehicle. In addition, the contact stated that the vehicle failed to accelerate. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 49,000.

- Shreveport, LA, USA

Feb 172015

Charger 6-cyl

Driving 55 mph on highway in my 2012 Dodge Charger, I began to smell oil burning, looked down and noticed that the car was running at the highest temperature, 264 degrees. Thankfully I was close to a reputable garage close to my home. I parked the car there, asked for a gentle man to assist me, and once the car cooled enough to open the hood, he took a look. He noticed that the hose leading from the coolant reservoir to the engine was completely sucked in, and the coolant reservoir was filling with oil. Upon inspection from dealership I was informed that the engine needed to be completely replaced due to metal shavings and debris found in oil pan.

- Bradford, OH, USA

Dec 312014

Charger 6-cyl

The car jerks when taking off and also between gears.

- Miami, FL, USA

Dec 312014

Charger 6-cyl

I was going over a speed bump about 2 mph and when the passenger rear tire goes over the speed bump it makes a loud clunk noise like it bottoms out. My ABS, traction and air bag light_ stays on and will not go off. When I make a right turn the shifter area clicks mutiple times like a type writer.

- Miami , FL, USA

Sep 292014

Charger 6-cyl

I was driving my vehicle in rush hour, stop and go traffic. I came to a stop because of traffic congestion and my ABS and other warning lights became illuminated. There was no previous warning. The car ceased to function. Electric systems were locked and I was left immobile in the middle of traffic. I called a local tow truck from my cell phone and the car was towed to the local dealer. The diagnosis was alternator and battery needed to be replaced. The car was running fine in the days/weeks leading up to this incident.

- Port Jefferson, NY, USA