2014 Dodge Charger steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2014 Dodge Charger:

2014 Dodge Charger Owner Comments

Aug 292016

On August 29th 2016 I was returning(driving on US20) home from some official business, when my dash started flashing, all the warning lights would flash, the speed displayed would go up, and down, and the car started changing gears. There was a ticking sound coming from my gear shift, like it was trying to select gear. The power steering light, and service transmission message keep coming up as well. I would intermittenly lose power steering during this, and power from the engine would lag also. I have a three minute, and thirty-five second video of what was occuring. I contacted some mechanic friends that work on Indiana state police Chargers, and they thought it could be the battery shorting out. The next morning I replaced the battery, and installed properly with positive post first. This seem to resolve the dash flashing symptoms, but I then had no power steering at all. I took to our local Dodge dealer in lagrange, in they ran a diagnostic analysis, and determined the electronic power steering pump was no good. The power steering pump worked perfectly fine with no issues at all, ever, before these electrical issues occured. This vehicle is used to Transport the us congressman, when he is in the district on official business, and we need it repaired asap. It is my opinion, the power steering pump was destroyed by the electrical issues concerning the recall on this vehicle. It is also my opinion that fac llc should replace the power steering pump at no cost per the consent order pertaining to this recall. I am trying to get the video to email, at this point, the video is to long to email.

- Howe, IN, USA

Jul 112016

While driving and preparing to turn my vehicle took control and I was no longer able to break or turn. Thankfully there was nobody in the neighbor at the time and with less than a foot from hitting the stop sign I was able to stop. I took it to the dealer where I purchased (1.5 years prior)and they said nothing was wrong just needed a new battery. I insisted this was not the issue so the manager had his associate test drive to come to the same conclusion the steering and brake system is fine. Not happy I left after purchasing the battery and here we are 1.5 weeks later with the same issue. I tried to drive out of work yesterday and I lost control to my steering and it locked. I put my car in park and tried once more the same thing happened, I then try to restart but it would not allow me to do so. I had to disconnect the battery and it started. Not feeling safe for my life I left the car at work and still do not want to drive it. From what I am reading I am not the only 2014 Dodge Charger having this issue. I need this fixed if I was on the freeway who knows what would have happened.

- Phoenix, AZ, USA

Jan 152015

While driving on the highway at 65mph the vehicle shut off and I lost power steering. I was barely able to avoid being hit during heavy morning traffic. Once stopped I was unable to get the vehicle to restart and needed to be towed to the dealer.

- Fresno, CA, USA

Oct 022015

We bought our car new, it has been at the Dodge dealer for repairs for the same things over and over for 6 months total time in shop. 1. the battery saver mode comes on, and then the steering gets hard, the alt. Has been replace, extra wiring added to add more grounds. This affects the way the car drives. When the battery saver mode is on the power steering stops working or works less. The power steering pump and rack and pinion has been replaced twice. This problem happens every day, in town or on the freeway. 2. the radio keeps shorting out, it's been replaced 3 times. This happens daily, it quits, blew out the speakers, navagtion stopped working. 3. the heater keeps getting stuck on either 100% hot or 100% A/C on cold. Settings will not change. Controls have been replaced 3 times, the heat/cold door motor was replace twice. The car has spent 185 days in service this year. When they give the car back it acts up in about 5 mins. The car is going back in for the radio and battery saver mode and steering on Monday. I picked the car up Friday and it failed less than a mile from the dealership.

- Tacoma, WA, USA

Jan 032015

I was stopped at an intersection with a 4 way stop. A car pulled up to my left so I pulled into the intersection. I began pulling into the intersection to make a left turn and another car came speeding up, pulled around the car to my left and hit my car on the left (driver's) side. I was thrown forward and hit my head on the sunvisor, causing a subdural hematoma in my head. This resulted in my spending 8 days in he icu unit of memorial hospital, springfield, Illinois

- Hillsboro, OH, USA

Aug 212015

My Dodge Chargers power steering would quit both while in park and drive, when in the car and the incident would occur you could not turn the vehicles steering wheel. It was taken to the dealer on a tow truck due to vehicle not being able to function properly.

- Clinton Township, MI, USA

Mar 022015

Charger 6-cyl

When the wheel is turned, a noise is being heard, squeaking, in certain positions, steering is ok but the noise is very intimidating, also, there was noise coming out of the engine bay into the car one day, it stopped so that's off the list, but as I read online, the steering wheel problem is common among Dodge owners, and dealers refuse to fix or acknowledge the problem, not to mention that the vehicle is fairly new..... less than a year old....

- Brooklyn, NY, USA

Nov 032014

The contact owns a 2014 Dodge Charger. The contact stated that while driving at 20 mph, the interior lights flickered, the stereo failed, and the brake pedal vibrated when it was depressed. In addition, the contact stated that the vehicle veered to the driver and passenger side intermittently. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 31,007.

- Detroit, MI, USA

Apr 272014

Charger 6-cyl

While traveling on the freeway (in the lane next to the carpool lane) the car immediately pulled to the extreme left causing me to crash into the center divider. During this time, I had no control over the vehicle. When I was finally able to come to a complete stop, the tire was pulled back next to the front driver door, but still upright and headed forward. You could see where the tire had been spinning against the body of the car. (these are known symptoms of a failed ball joint) unfortunately, the complete tire assembly was ripped off as it was loaded onto the tow truck. Chrysler has since ruled that the accident was caused by my "misuse/abuse" of the vehicle. However, it was only 4 months old and very well taken care of. A total of $13,000 of damage was done to car, of which they have placed the blame solely on me; based off of photos that I took after the accident. I waited three weeks for them to send an investigator out to look at my car... he never showed up. The repair work was started on my vehicle without my authorization. (cover up??) the body shop (which is at the Dodge dealership where I initially purchased the car) has since advised me to let them finish the repair work, and attempt to trade the car in. I have expressed to them and the Chrysler group that I would not feel safe in that car if it was fixed. I also find it unfair that my insurance would have to pay for their mistake and faulty part. I could have been killed in that accident, I hope that others who have experienced this problem will come forth so that lives may be saved in the future and injuries prevented.

- Los Angeles, CA, USA