9.0

1. ecm needs replacement (1 reports)
1998 Dodge Dakota electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 1998 Dodge Dakota:

1998 Dodge Dakota Owner Comments

Oct 062010

Dakota 3.9L

Started off rough idling and/or stalling at idle or when you take foot off the gas before coming to a stop. then it began stalling while driving down the road or frwy, with no warning, RPM would drop to zero and while coasting to side of road sometimes RPM would jump back to normal and it would take off again, other times I coast to side of the road because it completely shut off and I had to re-start it. Months ago when this first started it would start right back up, but after a few months it became hard to start back up. It would crank strong, but wouldn't start. If you let it sit for about 5 minutes it would usually start. I replaced Idle/Air Control Solenoid, (did not fix) and I have a brand new Battery. Alternator charging at 14 volts continuously. Today I barely made it to the dealer, and it had a new symptom...surging/bucking before the RPM dropped and/or shut down.I have found through Dodge Forum on-line and other dodge owners/consumers this is a common issue with Dodge. When I dropped off my dodge I met a couple people in lounge who had same problem and diagnosis was a bad ECM, that's when I found out there was a recall on the ECM's for the 2000 model dodges, so I know there has to be one on mine.

- , San Bernardino, CA, USA

Mar 012011

Dakota Sport 3.9L

I have a1998 dodge Dakota that i bought used.I can't believe that the lady i bought it from did not know about this problem when she sold it to me..It dies all of a sudden sometimes it starts backup right away sometimes it takes a few minutes.I've learned that if i pull the last plug on the pcm out and plug it back up it will start right up.This is a problem that is all over the Internet alot of people are having the same problem.why dose Dodge not recall these trucks before somebody gets killed.As for the lady in Robinson TX that sold me this truck GOD will get you for this.

Update from Apr 4, 2011: I have since put a new IAC sensor on my 98 and that did not help.I took the PCM off and sprayed all the connections with a electrical spray and put a tie down on the last connector and so far I've put 150 miles without problems.Im keeping my fingers crossed on this.

- , Waco, TX, USA