8.0

2. new wiring harness (1 reports)
2002 Dodge Dakota AC / heater problems

AC / heater problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Dodge Dakota:

2002 Dodge Dakota Owner Comments

Jul 012011

Dakota SLT 4.7L

This is for all of you with harness problems on your Dakota or Durango!! When my fan stopped working, I replaced the blower and the resistor. Didn't fix the problem and that was over $100 wasted. Then I found out about the harness melting! My ex-husband is a mechanic and he looked at this and found that was the problem. However, spending another $100 + on this issue wasn't something I could afford right away. I ended up finding the harness and a new resistor on ebay for about $65.25 with free shipping! Both the harness and the resistor are genuine Mopar parts and brand new. Wasn't "cheap" and I think it should have been recalled for it, since Dodge obviously knows there's an issue. Plus it causes impairment!!! But at least it was less than if I went through Dodge or an auto parts store and I can have heat/AC again!! You have to put the harness together, but there is a diagram on the internet to do so. There is also a diagram on the internet to show how to install it. Keep in mind, I'M A GIRL WHO WORKS IN AN OFFICE FOR A LIVING! If I can fix it, you can! ha ha The sellers id is gato500. Look him/her up!! Good luck!

- , Terre Haute, IN, USA

Jun 102009

Dakota 3.2L V6

had this fixed once now it is doing it again and needs to be fixed mechanic says this is normal for jeeps & dakotas being without air or heat to defrost windows in rain storm is dangerous not to mention it overheats and may be a chance of fire needs to be recalled

- , Wilmington, DE, USA

Mar 012011

Dakota Sport 4.7L V8

The heater resistor (located in your vehicles duct work) for heating and cooling. The heater will start to work only on 1 or 2 speeds and then nadda!!! it sh*ts the bed and you are left without heat or fan speeds i should say. I have reawd and contacted dealer in my city and have heard that this issue is being had by thousands of people that have Durango and or Dakotas. The pigtail (as Chrysler) calls it is a common problem and my dealer said they sell a few dozen each year and the local junk yard cant keep them available. The issue is obvious a poor design and insulation around the pigtail.

So why is Chrysler not looking into this problem. The heater resistor is about $20 and the pigtail (which the dealer states) is made better now (hmmm seems odd) is $117.99 plus tax. So if they are making it "better" then obviously they seen it as a problem but are not owning up to the issue directly to the public. I have read stories of vehicles burning, dashed catching on fire, the plastic duct work melting on passengers feet and more.

Thats my rant and i think that the dealer can fix this issue or drop the price on this "better" new and improved pigtail so that the average joe can fix it.

if you want more, holler i will do what i can

- , Saint John, NB, canada