2002 Dodge Dakota miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Dodge Dakota:

2002 Dodge Dakota Owner Comments

Jul 012006

Dakota 8-cyl

Upon the return of my 2002 Dodge Dakota quad cab from dealer service, I noticed what looked like a spot of gray spray paint on the front passenger fender. Thinking that someone had accidentally oversprayed something while the vehicle was nearby, I 'let it go'. about two weeks later, I noticed that the spot had grown from the original size (about the size of a quarter) to about three inches across. Thinking that perhaps I was 'seeing things', again, I let it go. However, two more weeks passed when I started noticing the same gray color appearing the entire length of the passenger side front fender and beginning to show on the driver side front fender as well. I telephoned the dealer and was told that paint / finishes were not warranty items, and even if it had been a warranty item, my warranty had expired (note: Mileage was approximately 38,000 miles at the time). I contacted daimler-Chrysler online customer support regarding the issue, and was told that they could not help me because they couldn't physically inspect the vehicle. Some time later, I took the vehicle in to the dealership for a different repair, but did mention the fading paint. I was told then that I would have to take the vehicle to a dealership that had body/paint facilities and have them look at it. (note: I was not told that when I called about the paint the first time.) I took the vehicle to a dealership with a body/paint facility. I was told that the 'brutal Texas sun' was the culprit - causing my paint to fade. (note: My 1996 Geo prizm and 2000 Kia optima are subjected to the same brutal Texas sun, but show no signs of fading paint.) I was told that my case could be submitted for consideration, but not to expect a positive result. As expected, those with authority to approve a repair denied it. Again, I contacted daimler-Chrysler online customer support expressing my dissatisfaction with the quality of the paint, and the lack of support during the ordeal.

- Sugar Land, TX, USA

Jul 012005

Dakota 8-cyl

I love this vehicle, however will join the masses reporting a failed upper ball joint at 55,000 miles, 3 sets of warped front brake discs and lack of proper braking for the ABS system.

- Livonia, MI, USA

May 032005

Dakota 4WD 6-cyl

Contact states: Put a set of upper ball joints on vehicle but he thought it was all of the ball joints and they just put the upper ball joints and contact states he needed lower ball joints as well

- Sanford, ME, USA