2003 Dodge Dakota suspension problems

suspension problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Dodge Dakota:

2003 Dodge Dakota Owner Comments

Aug 252008

Dakota

Upper ball joint failure passenger side of vehicle, I contacted Chrysler and they say that my vehicle is not covered under the recall #04V216000, which covered 600,000 vehicles for this very type of failure. I was never offered or informed of a extended warranty given by Chrysler to cover this very problem. If I was made aware of the possibility of this problem occurring with my vehicle, I would of made sure that my vehicle was inspected on a timely manner in this area. I did return my vehicle for a recall for my windshield washer assy in December of 2004 and also for my balljoints due the fact I was sent a recall notice. If the weather was worse or I did drive my vehicle off road I do believe my ball joint would have deteriorated as a accelerated rate. I also believe that if I experienced this failure in my vehicle, which was not recalled, there are many more Dodge Dakota pick up trucks that will experience this type of failure. Chrysler says the numbers don't warrant a recall, but this failure in their vehicle compared to GM or Ford products of the same type vehicle are about 300% to 1% comparing the numbers. I feel Chrysler should be responsible for any and all expense that I have incurred to repair my vehicle and more vehicles should be put into a recall status for this problem.

- West Deptford, NJ, USA

Jul 142008

Dakota

I was driving my truck over a speed hump going approx. Ten mph when something sounded like it dropped, I put the truck into park and got out to find my right passenger side tire laying horizontal, but still attached to the truck. I had to have it towed and I was informed that my upper ball joint had broke along with the half shaft/cv joint. I called Dodge because I was told there was a recall on the ball joints and they said they couldn't help me because my truck is no longer under warranty. I don't think I should be responsible for this repair. The truck only has 56,000 miles on it.

- Imperial, PA, USA

Dec 012006

Dakota 8-cyl

Popping noise in front end entering driveway or over speed bumps had dealer inspect and perform tsb. On upper ball joints per letter from Chrysler Corp. They did repair and told me the hub bearings were also bad not covered, $552 I replaced them myself I can't find a problem the hubs. The noise is still there !

- Antioch, CA, USA

May 012004

Dakota 4WD 8-cyl

Front suspension popping when stopping and turning.

- Rome, GA, USA

May 012004

Dakota 4WD 8-cyl

Front suspension popping when stopping and turning.

- Rome, GA, USA

Jan 092004

Dakota 6-cyl

While driving on md rt 468 at approximately 7:10 am on January 9, 2004, the driver of my truck hit a small patch of ice at which time the truck went into a 360 degree spin. At some point during the spin the front wheel came off at which time the driver lost complete control of the vehicle and it ran off of the road and hit three trees. An inspection of the wheel, tire rod and ball joint revealed that the ball joint was rusted and snapped off.

- Shadyside, MD, USA

Mar 172004

Dakota 6-cyl

While driving at a low speed, the consumer heard a loud metal banging coming from the front end of vehicle. The dealership serviced the vehicle, but could not resolve the problem. The front upper ball joints were prematurely worn out and had to be replaced. Dodge suggested that nothing was wrong with the vehicle.

- New Bedford, MA, USA

Jan 232004

Dakota 6-cyl

(front end suspension problem) the vehicle had been checked three times with no improvement because of the unstable balance of the vehicle. The dealership suggested that the consumer change the tires and shocks and place sand bags on in the vehicle to stabilize the balance.

- Pomona, CA, USA

Oct 262003

Dakota 8-cyl

While driving, the vehicle swerved to the left without warning and the vehicle to hit a tree and rolled over. The dealer believed that the cause was due to front end suspension failure, however the airbags deployed upon impact.

- Albion, MI, USA

Oct 272003

Dakota 6-cyl

I keep hearing a loud "bang" and louding creaking noises in the front end of my 2003 Dodge Dakota when I turn the wheel. I have taken it to the Dodge dealer several times, but they haven't found anything. I keep telling them it sounds like a cracked coil spring or body mount. They said if I bring it in again as warranty work, then they'll charge me for the time. Also, the turn signals keep shorting out and when you turn the left one on, the emergency flashers come on. Finally, the left power window slows down excessively when I attempt to put the window up. It goes down fine, but it won't go up at normal speed.

- Derwood, MD, USA