2005 Dodge Dakota brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Dodge Dakota:

2005 Dodge Dakota Owner Comments

Mar 112011

The entire front brakes {rotors, caliper, pads} required replacement at 33K miles, in addition several hard brake lines were severely rusted and needed replacement. This is totally unacceptable on a truck!

- Halcottsville, NY, USA

Feb 012016

Brake and ABS warning lights started coming on... the brake warning light should only come on when there is a problem with the braking system or if the parking brake is applied. A brake warning light when these conditions are not met is a false warning and a recall must be issued ! this occurs when the truck is in motion and will clear upon restart. A false brake warning light is worse than no light at all since if a real brake system failure does occur the drive would be unaware. This problem is widespread on most Dodge trucks.

- Halcottsville, NY, USA

Dec 132015

The contact owns a 2005 Dodge Dakota. While driving 60 mph, the brake pedal failed when depressed. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where it was diagnosed that all four brake lines were leaking and corroded. The vehicle was in the process of being repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 105,000. Updated 04/04/16

- Desoto, MO, USA

Dec 112015

Brake line at the ABS center rusted to the point of failure this happened while stopped and pressing the brake to shift only damage was T the persons driveway - brake fluid on the asphalt

- L Compton, RI, USA

Sep 012014

Started my truck and was trying to pull out of driveway when brake pedal suddenly went to the floor. I turned off the truck and had it towed to my mechanic. I was extremely fortunately that I had not entered my street with the truck running since there were many kids playing at that time in the middle of the cul de sac. My mechanic said the front brake lines had rusted and were the cause of the problem. For other reasons I sold the truck less than 100 miles later and was called by the buyer in panic stating that he was driving and the brake pedal went to the floor. He got the truck to his mechanic and was told that the rear break lines had rusted and were the cause of his problem. This is a extremely dangerous situation. I truly hope the gov't does something about it before someone is killed. How can brake lines rust with so little mileage? this is nuts!

- Ellicott City, MD, USA

Feb 032014

Dakota 8-cyl

I bought this 2005 Dakota new. I have spent thousands in repairs and there is always something wrong with it. I've also never seen anything rust like this truck. This particular issue I am fighting now. At speeds between 55 - 75 intermittently the truck will begin to vibrate. If you take your foot off the gas it gets worse. If you then apply the brakes the steering wheel begins to shake almost violently, and the brake pedal pulses. If I slow down to about 30 mph it stops and may happen again quickly or may not happen again for a while. I have replaced the rotors and calipers and tie rod ends and gotten an alignment. Still the issue exists. I have new Michelin tires. I have also already had to replace lower ball joints and front wheel bearings. I have replaced the rotors and calipers 3 times already on this truck. It has less than 65K miles on it. No one seems to be able to figure out what the problem is. I will never, ever buy another Chrysler / Dodge product. This was my first and will be my last.

- Mechanicsburg, OH, USA

Mar 192014

Dakota 8-cyl

Summary: On certain pickup trucks equipped with four-wheel antilock brake systems (ABS), the ABS electronic control unit (ECU) may cause a loss of front to rear brake balance, and the rear brakes could lock up prematurely during certain braking conditions. Read more: consequences: This could result in a loss of vehicle control and cause a crash without warning. Read more: this is happening to my 2005 Dodge Dakota 4X4 and they just keep telling me there is no recall number for your 2005 even tho the exact same thing is happening to their 2006.

- Oroville, CA, USA

Sep 042013

Dakota 8-cyl

Brake pedal went to the floor when pulling into parking space at work. This occurred after a 75 mile commute at highway speeds (65 mph). Truck was towed to a repair shop, where the diagnosis was "rusted brake lines" which let go under braking pressure. Two (2) different sections of brake lines were replaced as part of the repairs.

- St Michaels, MD, USA

Jun 242013

Dakota 6-cyl

The hydraulic brake fluid lines are rusted below the master cylinder allowing the brake fluid to run out on the ground, and causing brake failure.

- Needmore, PA, USA