5.2

2005 Dodge Dakota miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Dodge Dakota:

2005 Dodge Dakota Owner Comments

Jul 012015

Dakota

Keys partly slip out of ignition causing electrical failures. While in motion, if you bump your keys with your knee or hit a bump in the road, multiple dashboard warning lights appear and gauges, including the speedometer, will give inaccurate or nonexistent readings. Cruise control and other systems may fail. Vehicle must be pulled over and turned off to clear the electrical failures. This failure can occur multiple times in one trip.

- Harbor Beach, MI, USA

Mar 072011

Dakota

Driving vehicle, turned on seat warmers, back started getting very warm and a terrible smell. Pulled off to side of road, got out, smoke coming from seat and two burn holes in fabric.

- Bridgeview, IL, USA

May 052010

Dakota 6-cyl

Problem is with the rear axle on the 2005 Dodge Dakota. I have had the dealership rebuild the axle at 15,000 and 50,000 miles. It's being rebuilt for a 3rd time by a independent auto shop. I tried to take it to a Dodge dealership in santa maria ca to see if they would repair it since it was a ongoing issue but informed me that it's not and would cost $2200. Of course the independent shop is doing it for roughly half that. I went to Dodge.com and filled out a complaint with them. I faxed the repair documentation with them and left messages but my rep (david) never calls back. I did receive a email from Dodge for a customer survey but it's funny how their links don't work and their website security certificates are out of date. I guess if they can't maintain a website it's probably asking too much to fix a truck.

- Santa Maria, CA, USA

Feb 232009

Dakota

I have a 2005 Dodge Dakota slt. I purchased it in 10/2005. I have had problems with this truck since I first bought it. Recently I had to replaced the tire rods, sway bar and linkage, brakes, calipers, and rotors. Two days after I had all of these things fixed I noticed that the truck was still shaking and making a lot of noise. When I brought the truck to Dodge I was informed that the rear axle in the truck needed to be replaced. I was told that when the truck was manufactured the wrong size axle was put in the truck. This caused all kinds of problems. I was told that other parts are damaged and need to be replaced and repaired.(rear brake shoes, front disc rotors) I was told that the axle part is covered under warranty but I have to pay the $100 deductible. I was told that everything else that is damaged (due to the axle) and requires repair and replacement is not covered because it is considered "normal wear and tear". I was given a quote of somewhere around $400. (depending on labor) my complaint is simple, I am being forced to pay for damaged parts on my truck that are directly caused by the manufactures error. A problem that can be proved to be the manufacturers fault. I was sold a vehicle that had the wrong axle installed. Which then caused additional problems. When I bought this truck I was under the impression that the manufactures made the vehicle properly. They did not. They sold me a truck with the wrong part installed. Not only is this wrong but there should be some kind of an investigation into this. If the wrong size axle is in my truck, there are other trucks that also have the wrong size axle installed. It is dangerous and suspicious. I think it is even safe to say that it is fraud too! selling trucks that have the wrong parts installed and then making profit from the repairs and replacements. Sounds like fraud to me.

- Coventry, RI, USA