2005 Dodge Dakota suspension problems

suspension problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Dodge Dakota:

2005 Dodge Dakota Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Jun 152014

Dakota

The contact owns a 2005 Dodge Dakota. The contact stated that while making a left turn at approximately 5 mph, the front passenger side wheel detached from the vehicle. The vehicle was towed to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the front end needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. After the repair, the front end aluminum clamps that held the stabilizer bar fractured. The vehicle was taken to another dealer where it was diagnosed that the clamps fractured and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 41,000. The VIN was not available.

- Altoona, PA, USA

Jun 092015

Dakota

Issue I am fighting now. At speeds between 55 - 75 intermittently the truck will begin to vibrate. If you take your foot off the gas it gets worse. If you then apply the brakes the steering wheel begins to shake almost violently, and the brake pedal pulses. If I slow down to about 30 mph it stops and may happen again quickly or may not happen again for a while. I have replaced the rotors and calipers and tie rod ends and gotten an alignment. Still the issue exists. I have new Michelin tires. I have also already had to replace lower ball joints and front wheel bearings. I have replaced the rotors and calipers 3 times already on this truck. It has less than 13000 miles on it. No one seems to be able to figure out what the problem is. I will never, ever buy another Chrysler / Dodge product. This was my first and will be my last.

- Dallas , GA, USA

Jan 012014

Dakota

The contact owns a 2005 Dodge Dakota. The contact stated the four wheel system disengaged on its owns while driving at unknown speeds. The doors malfunctioned and locked and unlocked while the vehicle was parked. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer for diagnostic testing. The VIN was not available. The failure mileage was 140,000. The approximate current mileage was 150,000.

- Palmyra , VA, USA

Feb 032014

Dakota 8-cyl

I bought this 2005 Dakota new. I have spent thousands in repairs and there is always something wrong with it. I've also never seen anything rust like this truck. This particular issue I am fighting now. At speeds between 55 - 75 intermittently the truck will begin to vibrate. If you take your foot off the gas it gets worse. If you then apply the brakes the steering wheel begins to shake almost violently, and the brake pedal pulses. If I slow down to about 30 mph it stops and may happen again quickly or may not happen again for a while. I have replaced the rotors and calipers and tie rod ends and gotten an alignment. Still the issue exists. I have new Michelin tires. I have also already had to replace lower ball joints and front wheel bearings. I have replaced the rotors and calipers 3 times already on this truck. It has less than 65K miles on it. No one seems to be able to figure out what the problem is. I will never, ever buy another Chrysler / Dodge product. This was my first and will be my last.

- Mechanicsburg, OH, USA

Jul 312013

Dakota 8-cyl

Loud clunking noise while turning, stopping or even getting into truck diagnosis found lower right ball joints loose - recommended replacing. I have not done this yet - if you look at my history, I have had my local Dodge dealer make the repairs to the front ball joints previously at 45,120 miles and 59,072 miles. Chrysler recalled 2000-2003 Dodge Dakotas stating that "excessive wear of the upper ball joint may cause the front wheel to separate from the vehicle and result in loss of control" in the same recall they also stated' " water may enter into the front suspension upper ball joints and cause corrosion and premature wear."

Oct 072010

Dakota 8-cyl

Low noise in front while turning - dealership verified complaint and found both outer tire rod ends to be loose and left lower ball joint to be noisy - replaced both outer tire rod ends and set toe also replaced the left lower ball joint.

Apr 082009

Dakota 8-cyl

Loud noise whenever turning - tech found upper ball joint very dry, also found sway bar links worn - replaced left upper ball joint and both sway bar links.

Apr 112013

Dakota

Have had to replace tie rod ends, sway bar link rods, and now lower control arms to keep the truck safely on the road. The dealer says this is normal. I have never had to replace these items on a vehicle with less than 100000 miles.

- Bellevue, NE, USA

Oct 252010

Dakota 6-cyl

In October of 2010, I was driving out of a driveway onto a main street making a right turn when I heard a metal snapping sound. As I continued to drive, I felt some slack in the steering when I made a turn afterwards. I inspected the suspenion system several times in the next week but didn't see the cause. Later I found the front sway bar link broke apart where it attached to the sway bar. I didn't see this on earlier inspections because the 2 parts came together when static to conceal the break. I purchased a replacement kit and replaced both right and left side sway bar links myself. (damaged parts still available) in the early part of 2011, I began to hear creaking noise from the suspension system as I drove and on turns. I inspected the system several times and concluded that 1 or more of the ball joints were dry and needed grease. The ball joints had no fittings to apply grease so a needle valve was used to inject grease into the boots. This helped for a short period but the creaking came back a few months later. I sent this vehicle into the repair shop and they said the lower ball joints were dry and had excess side play. They recommended replacement for safety and alignment concerns at less than 40000 miles. I am very concerned that these suspension parts are failing far too soon. The consumer has no way to add grease to these parts and must rely on the original parts being properly lubricated to have reasonable durablity. Failures at this early stage indicates defective parts and processes that must be addressed asap. Needless to say, I will be forced to have these parts repaired for safety concerns and a high cost to the vehicle owner. These parts should be required to last longer than the short period I have experienced on this vehicle.

- Westland, MI, USA

Apr 012010

Dakota

The contact owns 2005 Dodge Dakota. The contact stated that a loud squeaky noise was heard while driving at various speeds. The contact inspected the vehicle and stated that the front ball joints were loose. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure and offered no assistance because the vehicle was not under warranty. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 50,000 and the current mileage was 56,000.

- Atkins , IA, USA

Aug 302011

Dakota 6-cyl

After only 62,000 miles my ball joints are shot. I have owned many cars in the past and never had to replace ball joints. This is not alot of miles to wear down ball joints on a truck, it is obvious there is a defect.

- East Haven, CT, USA

Jan 182007

Dakota

At speeds between 55 - 75 intermitantly the truck will begin to vibrate. If you take your foot off the gas it gets worse. If you then apply the brakes the steering wheel begins to shake almost violently, and the brake pedal pulses. If I slow down to about 30 mph it stops and may happen again quickly or may not happen again for a while. I have had the truck to the dealership 3 or 4 times and they state they can not duplicate problem. I have replaced the front ball joints, front wheel bearings 3 times and recently put on the 3 set of brakes and rotors all on advise from Dodge dealership. Problem still exists. Very unsafe. Hard to control the truck. I no longer drive the truck on the highway. Have called Dodge chryslar and they state to take the truck to the dealership. I get the run around and sent on my way. As for at date of incident, this happens frequently. I just picked a date.

- Seven Hills, OH, USA

Jul 212009

Dakota

Ball joints keep going bad.

- Wilkes Barre, PA, USA

Jun 132009

Dakota

Bottom ball joints on 2005 Dodge Dakota are worn out less than 42000 miles.

- Royalton, KY, USA

Feb 232009

Dakota

I have a 2005 Dodge Dakota slt. I purchased it in 10/2005. I have had problems with this truck since I first bought it. Recently I had to replaced the tire rods, sway bar and linkage, brakes, calipers, and rotors. Two days after I had all of these things fixed I noticed that the truck was still shaking and making a lot of noise. When I brought the truck to Dodge I was informed that the rear axle in the truck needed to be replaced. I was told that when the truck was manufactured the wrong size axle was put in the truck. This caused all kinds of problems. I was told that other parts are damaged and need to be replaced and repaired.(rear brake shoes, front disc rotors) I was told that the axle part is covered under warranty but I have to pay the $100 deductible. I was told that everything else that is damaged (due to the axle) and requires repair and replacement is not covered because it is considered "normal wear and tear". I was given a quote of somewhere around $400. (depending on labor) my complaint is simple, I am being forced to pay for damaged parts on my truck that are directly caused by the manufactures error. A problem that can be proved to be the manufacturers fault. I was sold a vehicle that had the wrong axle installed. Which then caused additional problems. When I bought this truck I was under the impression that the manufactures made the vehicle properly. They did not. They sold me a truck with the wrong part installed. Not only is this wrong but there should be some kind of an investigation into this. If the wrong size axle is in my truck, there are other trucks that also have the wrong size axle installed. It is dangerous and suspicious. I think it is even safe to say that it is fraud too! selling trucks that have the wrong parts installed and then making profit from the repairs and replacements. Sounds like fraud to me.

- Coventry, RI, USA

Jul 172008

Dakota 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2005 Dodge Dakota. While driving 20 mph, the contact heard a bang and lost control of the vehicle. He struck two parked vehicles. The driveshaft was pulled out at the scene and there was transmission fluid on the ground. A police report was filed. The rear passenger side leaf spring snapped off. The contact called the manufacturer's warranty service and was advised to have the vehicle towed to the dealer because it was still under warranty. Because the vehicle was in a crash, the contact's insurance company instructed him not to go to the dealer. The current and failure mileages were approximately 12,000. Updated 09/10/08 updated 09/11/08

- Lincoln Park, NJ, USA

Jun 112007

Dakota

Original owner of vehicle with 21,00 miles. Approx 1 week ago began hearing scraping sound when turning. Noise became progressively worse. Mechanic says vehicle needs new tie rod. Advised us against driving it because he considers it to be very unsafe.

- Apo, AE, USA

Mar 052007

Dakota 8-cyl

Consistent driveline vibration, unable to diagnose or repair. I took my 2005 Dodge laramie quad cab in for a front end alignment on March 5, 2007 to try and repair the previously mentioned problem. Since this time I have had the truck back to the dealership a minimum of ten times and it has been in their possession at least 60 days. The dealer has virtually replaced all of the front end parts, brakes, rotors, calipers, rotated tires, replaced and tried eleven (11) Michelin tires, balanced, high speed balanced, my rims have over fifty notches where they have placed weights to balance the tires without result. Similar complaints lead me to believe this is a safety issue and needs investigated since by their own admission they can not diagnose the problem.

- Moorsville, NC, USA

Apr 202006

Dakota 4WD 8-cyl

My trucks steering wheel pulsates when driving at speed above 40 mph and unbearably at speeds of 60 to 65. When driving the truck it will shimmy and shake violently when going over any road service that is not perfectly flat. I will no longer operate this vehicle with my wife or children in the car. No one should attempt to tow with this vehicle. The pulsation throughout out the truck will get you sick. You will feel as though you are about to lose control of your vehicle at any moment due to its instability. After a half hours use in traffic my brakes heat up and feel like a car with the ABS being activated everytime you touch the brake. My dealer has made five attempts to fix this truck, they tried to blame good year for the composition of the tire. I have taken the truck to a good year dealer and they concluded the tires are fine and there is no unusual wear pattern, I had the same tires on my durango. I have only 8,000 miles on my truck and feel I have spent to much time trying to be a test for Dodge to correct its engineering mistakes. I am going to begin the lemon law paperwork. Please make Dodge try to correct this problem before some is seriously injured or killed.

- Congers , NY, USA

Mar 212006

Dakota 6-cyl

: the contact stated while driving at various speeds the vehicle vibrated. It has been to the dealership twice for repairs. The first time, they aligned the front end of the vehicle. The second time, they replaced the front axle, lower and upper ball joints however, the problem still exists.

- Riverside, CA, USA