2006 Dodge Dakota steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Dodge Dakota:

2006 Dodge Dakota Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Feb 082016

The contact owns a 2006 Dodge Dakota. While driving 65 mph, the steering wheel began to lose steering power and seized without warning. The failure was persistent. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where it was diagnosed that the rack and pinon failed and needed to be repaired. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was approximately 98,000.

- Nashville, TN, USA

Dec 232015

Power steering stops working causing loss of vehicle control. At the time I was driving approximately 20 mph in town. Had power steering fluid leak in the past which was fixed but issue still occurs. Today it happened thee times within 30 minutes of driving. I checked the steering fluid and it was full. This has been an ongoing issue with this vehicle since it was a few years old.

- Topsham, ME, USA

Nov 302015

The contact owns a 2006 Dodge Dakota. While the vehicle was undergoing routine maintenance, the contact was informed that the subframe of the vehicle was bent. The contact was also informed that the front passenger side axle was damaged. While driving 70 mph, there was an abnormal vibration in the steering wheel. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failures. The approximate failure mileage was 139,584.

- Ellenton, FL, USA

Jun 302015

The contact owns a 2006 Dodge Dakota. The contact stated that the vehicle was taken in for an inspection and it was discovered that the front driver side tie rod was faulty and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 54,000.

- Newport News, VA, USA

Jun 122015

The contact owns a 2006 Dodge Dakota. While driving various speeds, the steering wheel became difficult to maneuver. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic, who replaced the power steering assembly. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage and VIN were unavailable.

- St. Louis, MO, USA

Mar 042013

The steering gets hard to turn like it is going to lock up. I spray it with WD40. This happens every few days. The electrical has been screwed up forever. I turn the left turn signal on the the right one blinks and vise versa. Some times they both blink back and forth. I have talked to the local Dodge garage and all they say is that there is no recall. I wasnt notified by Dodge about the driver side airbag either. Looked up the VIN number after seeing a report on tv. That was 2 months ago and the Dodge garage just fixed the air bag on July 21 after I called them for the second time to see if the part was in. Updated 10/07/15

- Nescopeck, PA, USA

Jul 202015

My truck has started having trouble with steering. It seems to happen at just about any speed, but is most noticeable once I get to ~45 mph. As a turn the wheel to the right or left of center, I feel like I have no power steering and really have to wrestle the wheel. When I come back to center, it feels like it's working again, and I end up cranking the steering wheel too hard because of how much power I needed to use to turn away from center.

- Ickesburg, PA, USA

Feb 262015

Dakota 8-cyl

With the truck at only 53,000 miles I will have had to replace the whole front end. The cost to me is $1085. This is obviously from defective parts! Dodge already has a recall on the front end of their full size trucks. Should it also, include the Dakotas? I have approached Chrysler about this & was denied compensation.

- Ann Arbor, MI, USA

Feb 022015

While driving my 2006 Dodge Dakota P/U truck started noticing noise while making any type of turning of the steering wheel. I took to my mechanics who put in some steering fluid. He told me this should help and if problem does return the problem is most likely the steering shaft that will have to be worked on & will be expensive to fix. It was fine for a couple of weeks but now the problem has returned & I'm making plans to take it back to my mechanic to fix the steering shaft. After reading numerous problem other owners are also facing concerning the steering there should be a recall for this.

- Davenport, IA, USA

Dec 302014

Dakota 4WD 6-cyl

Steering spontaneously became intermittently stiff / loose in both directions with loss of return to straight after cornering.

- South Glens Falls, NY, USA

Nov 302012

Dakota 4WD 8-cyl

In using signal lights, turn left signal on to turn and the right dash signal indicator as well as right signal light flash. If I move the tilt steering position up and then back down the lights function properly. This has happened several times. It sounds like something in the steering wheel is rubbing whenever one turns the wheel. The previous owner bought the truck new and it happened to him several times as well. Also the ball joints were all replaced by previous owner at less than 30,000 miles. Now at 55,000 miles the struts, shock absorbers, rear stabilizer links and quite possibly sway bar links front and rear need to be replaced.

- Baraboo, WI, USA

Jul 032014

Dakota 4WD 6-cyl

Hard steering. Steering wheel will not straighten out when driving.

- Channahon, IL, USA

Jun 142014

Dakota 8-cyl

We were driving down hwy I-5 in seattle Washington. My husbands knee bumped the key in the ignition and the vehicle turned off. This happened 3 times since we have had the vehicle. We have only had the vehicle for year.

- Walla Walla, WA, USA

Apr 152014

Dakota 6-cyl

I am experiencing "binding" while driving the vehicle at all speeds. Extra pressure is necessary to correct the situation; potentially, this corrective action could lead to the vehicle turning more than desired thusly causing an accident. The problem is erratic - usually ne problem - and can occur unexpectedly during all driving conditions. An independent mechanic has advised that the likely problem is the steering shaft where steering knuckles are located. He stated that the situation can sometimes be corrected by lubricating the components within the steering shaft with penetrating oil. This temporarily alleviated the problem but the problem is re-occurring. I understand that the next step is to dismantle the steering shaft which may lead to the replacement of parts. I live in Ohio with severe winter weather and road salt and suspect that there is a design flaw that allows corrosion to occur within the steering shaft.

- Richfield, OH, USA

Mar 042014

Was traveling down a regular road when the power steering became very tight and then alternately a little while later became very loose causing over correction. About a month and a half later while traveling between Washington and Oregon the power steering went out completely in the vehicle. Had the pump and reservoir replaced as well as intake and outtake lines. Problem was not solved had to then replace rack and pinion, vehicle still leaking after this replacement as well. Vehicle has been to two different mechanics both of which cannot determine what the problem is causing the power steering to malfunction consistently.after replacing rack and pinion was also told that ball joints needed replacement.

- Bend, OR, USA

Mar 092014

Dakota 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Dodge Dakota. The contact stated that while driving 50 mph, he heard an abnormal noise. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for inspection where they stated that the pinion nut on the rear differential needed to be replaced with a newly manufacturer pinion nut. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 54,000.

- Fairfield, CT, USA

Jan 312013

Dakota 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Dodge Dakota. The contact stated that while driving 35 mph, the vehicle made a loud noise and the drive shaft fractured and dropped without warning. The contact lost control of the vehicle and crashed into a pole. The vehicle was destroyed. A police report was filed but no injuries were reported. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure and current mileage was 50,000. Updated 4/4/14

- Philadelphia, PA, USA

Jul 132013

1.drivers airbag light comes on when driver. 2.when making a U-turn I hear a loud clunking noise around the tire area. 3.the emergency release brake cable snapped off the release handle. 4.NHTSA just sent me an email regarding a recall on my 2006 Dodge Dakota quad "left tire rod assembly". ( this could be the cause of my #2.loud clunking noise making a U-turn).

- San Leandro, CA, USA

Jun 022013

Dakota 8-cyl

Sudden loss of power steering when turning, requiring sudden and unexpected manhandling of steering wheel to straighten wheels. Inspection of power steering fluid level, post-incident, showed substantial loss of power steering fluid but no fluid leakage under the vehicle when parked, indicating leakage only occurred when vehicle was being driven. Outer tie-rods changed at 57,676 miles. Vehicle inspection, at 59,814 miles, showed no leakage underneath, power steering fluid level was at full. Inspection of vehicle, at 60,289 miles showed fluid leakage from both rack and pinion boots, worse on the right than on the left. Rack and pinion has to be replaced. This probelm was obviously sudden onset with no warning. The sudden loss of power steering constitutes a dangerous and unexpected driving hazard that very well could result in a crash. This vehicle is seven years old, has just over 60,000 miles on it. It has been maintained regularly and inspected every 2 to 3,000 miles. There is no reason, beyond poor engineering, that the tie-rods and rack and pinion should have malfunctioned at this mileage..

- Nine Mile Falls, WA, USA

Jun 012013

Dakota 8-cyl

This latest time (happened 1 month after buying) I was driving and noticed the steering get stiff going either way. It was just a little but over the next two days as I drove I noticed it getting worse. It is not a constant. It is as if something is hung up or catching at the steering column rotates. I am not a mech but I checked the fluid both times this has happened. No leaks, no puddles under the truck. I don't know why this happened now. The only thing I have done different was use the 4X4 a week ago when we had some freaky weather (snow in late may). I haven't noticed any really loud noises, or shimmies, not even rough riding. The mileage is approximately 98-99K and I think it had one previous owner. I bought it from a dealership and there were no known accidents or problems. I have since looked into recalls but haven't noticed any for the steering; plenty of complaints for the steering though. I wish I had known this when I was buying. Can you point me in the direction to go; is there a recall I have missed?

- Ashland, NH, USA