Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The first year of the new Dodge Dart had a rough start, with owners reporting a disproportionate number of engine and transmission problems.

For transmission, the main complaints are transmission failure & rough shifting. So far, average mileage for transmission failure is 25,000 miles. Not good.

For engine problems, it usually starts with the engine light coming on for any number of reasons: bad sensors, ignition coil replacement, bad wiring, faulty gas cap ... dealers are replacing various components with varying degrees of success, or telling owners they can't duplicate the issue.

2013 Dodge Dart brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Dodge Dart:

2013 Dodge Dart Owner Comments (Page 7 of 10)

Aug 132015

The water pump went out in my car at 50,615 miles. I was told by the dealer that the water pump was not part of my power train warranty. I took the car to a differant shop to have a new water pump put on my car it had 8,000 more miles on the car it started over heating took the Dodge to larson in puyallup wa. They are telling me that the antifreeze has been mixed in the car and that they will not honor the power train warranty!

- Mineral, WA, USA

Dec 062015

Husband was about to leave the store, applied the brake to reverse was a loud pop and hissing noise, brakes barely worked at 10 mph. I've had this car 2 years brand new, no issues what so ever, now this. Apprears to be the same issue as everyone else. Will need it towed to the dealer, earlist appointment is 12/14/2015. I have not hit 20,000 miles on this car yet. This is a very serious safety issue!

- Cary, NC, USA

Sep 152015

While driving and attempting to come to a stop by pressing the break, the break out of nowhere became very difficult to press down and the car was difficult to stop. I was coming off the highway approaching a light. After I was able to press it down it let off a hissing noise. I took it in and was told it was the break booster that needed to be replaced. No one was able to inform me what caused it. I have never had any trouble prior to, no accidents and I am consistent with service. It is clear this is a manufacturing problem and a recall is in order. I do understand this is not the first or only complaint for the very same issue. This could result in death. Also their seems to be a problem with my airbag system and tire light as they have been triggered on their own and will not go off.

- Jackson, MS, USA

Dec 072015

Arrived home on 12/5/2015, we live on an incline so we have to use the parking brake to park. I noticed that when I applied the parking brake it was a little weak feeling. We did not drive the car again until the morning of 12/7/2015. We were leaving for work, applied the brake, put in reverse and released the parking brake. When I released it, it just fell like there was nothing there... like the parking brake was just a handle not attached to anything. So, I started to back up and with the parking brake completely off, the rear brakes were still locked up. I pulled forward and backward to try and help free the brakes. Applied the parking brake again and it had nothing there. Since this is the only vehicle we have, we continued to drive it and it eventually freed up, but still not working properly. When applying the regular brakes to stop, the rear end felt like it had to much brakes. I could also let off the gas and feel the car coming to a stop like a slight amount of braking was being applied. I drove it to the dealership immediately to have the problem looked at. They told me there were no safety recalls on the car, however there have been multiple issues/reports and recalls about the brakes for this model.

- Denison, KS, USA

Sep 132013

When braking the car does not seem to stop. On September 13,2013, my son actually had an accident. When he applied the brakes the car continued to run into the back of another car. It actually took over 6 weeks to repair the car, as parts were not available. His car also shows that it is not in the system when I input the VIN number. I'm hoping I didn't miss any recalls because of this. Originally when he bought the car, the VIN number was wrong on his registration. He was in the process of stopping the vehicle when I ran into the back of it. He was on a highway at the time. It caused $8,847.31 damage to his car.

- Orchard Park, NY, USA

Nov 252015

Parked veh to enter store. When I returned to the veh and applied the brake to put the veh in reverse, it popped out, and was very difficult to press. This was in a private parking lot. Braking power was significantly reduced to almost nonexistent, and I was forced to use my emergency brake to limp the car back to my residence.

- St James, MO, USA

Nov 212015

While pulling out of a parking space, I had my foot depressing the brake. All of a sudden the break popped back out and pushed my foot backward. I moved slowly. I put my car in park, turned the engine off, and then turned it back on again and pressed on the brake only to hear a sound of air being released. I had to drive 10 mph so that I could ensure proper stopping time because the brake was literally useless.

- Rosemount, MN, USA

Nov 012015

While driving the brakes failed, the pedal was hard to push and we heard an air noise from around the pedal. We nearly crashed into someone in the walmart parking lot. Dodge said that the master cylinder, and brake booster needed replaced. They would not cover any of the $1200 cost.

- Edinburg, PA, USA

Nov 132015

The contact owns a 2013 Dodge Dart. When the brake pedal was engaged, an abnormal air noise emitted and the brake pedal became stiff. The contact was able to shift the gear into park and turn the engine off. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The VIN was not available. The approximate failure mileage was 50,000.

- Pleasant City, OH, USA

Nov 142015

The first time my breaks went out I was sitting in a drive thru and we heard a loud popping noise and the breaks became hard to push down. It took longer to stop driving home to be towed. The second time the same thing happened but we were driving this time and with this one the traction control also went out. This is the second time in 9 months that I have had my break system replaced. This is a major safety hazard as I could have killed someone seeing as though I had no breaks to stop. I drive long distances for work on major freeways that are very busy in the morning and at night and had this happened while I was on one of those freeways, someone would likely have died or at the very least been severely injured. This is uncalled for.

- Peoria, AZ, USA

Oct 262015

The contact owns a 2013 Dodge Dart. While driving 30 mph, the brake pedal was depressed and there was an abnormal noise. The brakes failed to respond and the service brake warning light illuminated. The vehicle was towed to a dealer but was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 25,531.

- Arden, NC, USA

Sep 032015

The contact owns a 2013 Dodge Dart. The contact stated that the brakes failed to function without warning. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 29,289.

- Bradner, OH, USA

Oct 162015

My pregnant wife was driving home with our other daughter, when coming to a stop light the brakes made a loud popping sound and the sound of air hissed as she could not press the brake down. She flew through the red light and couldn't stop for atleast another fifty feet holding both feet to the brake and pulling the E-brake. I am very thankful that she was not injured or smashed by a vehicle at the red light and you should be too. After looking online and seeing thousands of people with the same problem and no recall for that part being sent is ludicrous. I am outraged that your company after all these complaints has not sent a recall. For as expensive as the car is, you expect for the safety of our family to be a priority for your company. It is now getting fixed at a dealership and all I got from them was an I'm sorry that happened. After doing more research there are another thousand people saying after it was fixed it happened again. I am very angry I am stuck with this death trap because I am just a gym coach and can't afford to be stuck behind this payment and another to be able to have a safe ride for my family. I would like a reply to this and for you to tell me how you are going to fix this issue. My lawyer said that yall are lucky that my pregnant wife and daughter were not injured or else a lawsuit would have insued, but a lawsuit would not have brought my family back from an accident that your car clearly has a known issue for. Please care more and take action on the thousands of people who like me thought that the Dodge name meant we where buying a nice car that would protect my family and be something I could pass on to my children.....updated 06/15/16

- Killeen, TX, USA

Aug 012015

I am having the same issue that a lot are having as I researched the internet. As I depress the brakes a hissing air noise happens and the braking systems fails. The warning light and message appears on the dash, and I have to brake extremely hard to get the car to stop and it appears the hydraulics are failing. It's dangerous and I don't have the extra money to get this fixed. This is clearly a defect and it needs to be recalled and repaired by the manufacturer.

- Edmonds, WA, USA

Oct 022015

I was backing out of parking spot and depressed the brakes to shift into reverse. As soon as I hit the brake there was a pop and a hiss. The brake pedal then became extremely difficult to depress and couldn't safely stop the car unless going 10 mph or slower. Sounds like a common occurrence as far as problems go...probably the master cylinder and brake booster.

- West Saint Paul, MN, USA

Sep 262015

Was backing up the car and needed to slow down and suddenly had no brakes. I had to press extremely hard on them to get the car to slow down and it barely worked. Scared me to death because I was backing up into a busy street. The car is at the dealer now so I have not been informed on what the problem is but it sounds like I am having the same issue as others

- Denver, CO, USA

Sep 242015

The contact owns a 2013 Dodge Dart. While stopped at a red light, there was an abnormal noise coming from the vehicle and the brake pedal traveled upwards independently after the service electric braking system warning light illuminated. The contact stated that the brake pedal became difficult to depress and there was a hissing sound. The vehicle was restarted; however, the failure persisted. The vehicle was towed to the dealer, but was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 14,900.

- Tulsa, OK, USA

Sep 162015

Picked up kids from school, drove to the mail box in my community and turned off vehicle. After started vehicle again, breaks were very stiff and whooshing sound came every time I stepped on the pedal. When the vehicle was shifted to drive, it started rolling. I had to push the break pedal harder to make the vehicle come to a complete stop, all the while the pedal was very stiff. I drove to work that morning and made it back to kid's school without any issues or signs that break system might have problems. This seems to be a dangerous issue as there are no early warning signs.

- Surprise, AZ, USA

Sep 172015

The contact owns a 2013 Dodge Dart. While driving 40 mph, the brake pedal was depressed and the vehicle came to a stop. The brake pedal traveled to the floorboard and the vehicle began to move forward. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the brake booster failed and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 46,000.

- Redford, MI, USA

Sep 122015

Pulled into a gas station and as I came to a stop a popping noise came from under the dash. The brake pedal became very firm, as if the engine were off, and I continued to roll forward and bumped the sidewalk. Minor damage, just scratches on the bottom of the bumper. I was able to limp the car home, and called the dealer the next day. After a few searches, it seemed the brake booster was to blame. The dealership told me that if there was motor oil in the brake booster, it was suggested that I replace the brake booster, vacuum pump, vacuum lines, and master cylinder. At 43,000 miles. I understand things break. But it sounds like they are aware there is a problem if they already know the other parts that need to be replaced along with it. It also seems a little early for the brake booster to crap the bed.

- East Springfield, OH, USA