CarComplaints.com Notes: The first year of the new Dodge Dart had a rough start, with owners reporting a disproportionate number of engine and transmission problems.

For transmission, the main complaints are transmission failure & rough shifting. So far, average mileage for transmission failure is 25,000 miles. Not good.

For engine problems, it usually starts with the engine light coming on for any number of reasons: bad sensors, ignition coil replacement, bad wiring, faulty gas cap ... dealers are replacing various components with varying degrees of success, or telling owners they can't duplicate the issue.

2013 Dodge Dart brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Dodge Dart:

2013 Dodge Dart Owner Comments (Page 8 of 11)

Sep 172015

Dart

The contact owns a 2013 Dodge Dart. While driving 40 mph, the brake pedal was depressed and the vehicle came to a stop. The brake pedal traveled to the floorboard and the vehicle began to move forward. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the brake booster failed and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 46,000.

- Redford, MI, USA

Sep 122015

Dart

Pulled into a gas station and as I came to a stop a popping noise came from under the dash. The brake pedal became very firm, as if the engine were off, and I continued to roll forward and bumped the sidewalk. Minor damage, just scratches on the bottom of the bumper. I was able to limp the car home, and called the dealer the next day. After a few searches, it seemed the brake booster was to blame. The dealership told me that if there was motor oil in the brake booster, it was suggested that I replace the brake booster, vacuum pump, vacuum lines, and master cylinder. At 43,000 miles. I understand things break. But it sounds like they are aware there is a problem if they already know the other parts that need to be replaced along with it. It also seems a little early for the brake booster to crap the bed.

- East Springfield, OH, USA

Aug 272015

Dart

My 2013 Dodge Dart SXT has recently developed issues with the braking system. The brakes suddenly popped, followed by a hissing noise and the pedal then became very stiff to push. When pushed hard enough I was able to stop but it took significantly longer in order to stop. If I had been on the highway, traveling at 65 mph this issue may have been more serious. But lucky for me, I was only going 45 mph. I brought it to the Dodge/Chrysler dealership from which I bought it from. They looked it over and told me the brake booster, pump, pump line and master cylinder all need to be replaced in order for the issue to be resolved, resulting in an estimated cost of $1200. After hearing the cost of this repair, I went online to research the issue a little more. Only to find out that there is an ongoing investigation with this problem for my particular model of car but no recall has been issued yet. So I am providing you with this information with hope that it will help with the investigation process.

- Cottage Grove, MN, USA

Sep 012015

Dart

Pulling into my parking space, the brakes let out a hissing noise. It was very hard to press down and when fully pressed down the brakes were not responding well at all. This was not a one-time incident. After testing the brakes again they are still barely responsive and the pedal makes a hissing (letting air out) sound.

- Atlanta, GA, USA

Sep 012015

Dart

The contact owns a 2013 Dodge Dart. While driving approximately 25 mph, a loud sound of air was heard when the brake pedal was depressed and the brakes malfunctioned. The brake pedal could not be depressed and the driver had to apply the emergency brake to stop the vehicle. The cause of the failure was not diagnosed. The manufacturer was notified. The VIN was not available. The failure mileage was 51,000.

- Cincinatti, OH, USA

Sep 022015

Dart

Brake power assist failure. I heard a pop and then the brakes started pushing back at me and making a hissing noise. I almost didn't have a chance to stop and the guy behind me almost hit me. If my elderly mom was driving there would be no way she could press down on the brake hard enough and we would have a much bigger problem. These companies need to be held accountable. Thanks.

- Marseilles, IL, USA

Jul 282015

Dart

When son attempted to leave parking lot, there was a medium "chunk" noise and the brakes didn't seem to work at all until he stomped really hard on the pedal. He drove his 8 miles home slowly, giving lots of braking room as every time he hit the brakes a hissing noise and very little brake response was given even when depressing the brake as hard as he could. When my husband drove it into the shop, he said it was like there were no longer power steering brakes. The brake booster was replaced, under warranty still, and since my son stepped so hard on the brake, he actually broke the brake pedal assembly as well, which caused the brake lights to stay on all the time even when the car was turned off. All that was replaced under warranty, too.

- Whitewood, SD, USA

Aug 232015

Dart

When putting my 2013 Dodge Dart into reverse to back up in my driveway I realized I had no brakes. The pedal made a loud wooshing noise and it sounded like a lot of air coming out. Then the pedal was very hard to push down and the car would not stop. The car did the same thing in drive, and the problem continued in the same manner repeatedly.

- Houston, DE, USA

Aug 222015

Dart

While waiting in a drive there line, I hear a loud pop, then there were no brakes. When I did press the brakes there were a hissing noise and the pedal was very hard almost impossible to compress. I was terrified

- Jackson,, TN, USA

Aug 142015

Dart

The contact owns a 2013 Dodge Dart. The contact stated that while driving approximately 10 mph, the brake pedal was depressed and failed without warning. The failure recurred on one other occasion. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where the vehicle was repaired but the failure recurred. The details of the repairs were unavailable. The vehicle was later taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the brake booster failed. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 40,000.

- Parsippany, NJ, USA

Aug 152015

Dart

We were just leaving on a weekend trip, stopped for gas and started to pull out from driveway when the brakes failed and we ended up halfway in the road. Thankfully it was clear at the time and thankfully we were 3 blocks from home. The brake pedal became very stiff and has a whooshing sound. I'm so upset with the quality of this car. I've had several issues with it since the day I purchased it and after multiple trips to the dealership none of the issues have been resolved except one I figured out on my own. I will not suggest anyone buy a Dart and expect to have all these issues dealt with at no cost as after reading multiple complaints I see its a common issue

- San Jose, CA, USA

Aug 082015

Dart

Brake pedal became very hard with accompanying air sound. Vehicle stopping was difficult and use of emergency brake was needed. Vehicle had to be towed to dealer as it could not be driven. Dealer is replacing master cylinder to correct the problem.

- Johnstown, PA, USA

Aug 072015

Dart

When I applied the brakes the peddle would go down to the floor causing me to pump brakes in order to stop.

- Goldsboro, NC, USA

Jun 062015

Dart

The contact owns a 2013 Dodge Dart. The contact stated that when driving over 8 mph, an air hissing noise could be heard while depressing the service brakes. The vehicle was taken to the dealer. The technician was unable to duplicate the failure. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 20,000. MA 10/16/15

- Douglasville , GA, USA

Jul 312015

Dart

I was backing out of a parking spot when I heard a popping sound, and I tried to stop the vehicle but the brakes failed and the pedal went all the way to the floor, I had to put it in park for it to stop.

- Northport, AL, USA

Jul 302015

Dart

Driving vehicle and when attempted to stop had to using er brake due to brake pedel not depressing (issued a hissing noise when touched). Drove around the block and at each corner same thing happened. When parked car and opened driver's door, could see signs of something leaking from front/driver side of car (appeared to be from a location in line with the back of the front tires). Update 9/15/15....updated 06/15/16

- La Crosse, KS, USA

Jun 162015

Dart

I was headed to the mall on day with my fiancee and child and while pulling up applying the brake at a red light. I heard what sound like a pop and my break pedal instantly became hard to press. I had to use almost all my leg strength to stop the car (to brake) before the red light. Very worried when the light turned green I drive through and used emergency brake to park in yhe parking lot. I repaired it myself after waiting on the part that was on back order for 3 weeks. I fixed it properly and 2 weeks later the same thing happened again. 7/30/15 I believe it could now be the master cylinder leaking into my booster. I am going to pull the master cylinder and put some pressure through it and see if it leaks as I press the push rod. I will surely let everyone know.

- Buford, GA, USA

Jul 272015

Dart

At 70mph on the interstate I had to brake, my breaks made a popping noise and an air sound, and did not slow the car down at all. I was unable to even move the break pedal, it was rigid. At that time I had to use the emergency brake to stop the car. It had to be towed to a dealership and I am in the process of replacing the brake booster which is costing me $800 out of pocket and it may need more after that they wont know until they replace that first. Absolutely nothing to do with the brakes is covered under powertrain even though this is obviously a manufacture defect that is currently under investigation. This was a very scary and dangerous situation that has already happened to far to many people and a recall should have already been made.

- Lonoke, AR, USA

Jul 282015

Dart

Whoosing sound started to pull out of a parking spot brakes failed all I here is a whoosing sound

- Greenville, OH, USA

Jul 262015

Dart

Driving normally when approaching stop sign, depressed brake pedal when heard sound of whooshing air and pedal pushed back up. Had to really push very hard with foot on pedal to get car to stop. And that was a slow stop. If I had had to stop short when this occured it would have failed and probable result would have been a crash. Lucky I was in a rural area at the time with no cars in front of me. So I was able to make it home that night. Will not attempt to drive it to dealer and will have it towed in. Been reading on-line about it and have read many similar complaints and they say it is a brake booster. Why is this not being recalled immediately. Does there have to be a death or deaths first?

- Macomb, MI, USA