CarComplaints.com Notes: The first year of the new Dodge Dart had a rough start, with owners reporting a disproportionate number of engine and transmission problems.

For transmission, the main complaints are transmission failure & rough shifting. So far, average mileage for transmission failure is 25,000 miles. Not good.

For engine problems, it usually starts with the engine light coming on for any number of reasons: bad sensors, ignition coil replacement, bad wiring, faulty gas cap ... dealers are replacing various components with varying degrees of success, or telling owners they can't duplicate the issue.

2013 Dodge Dart brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Dodge Dart:

2013 Dodge Dart Owner Comments (Page 9 of 11)

Jul 212015

Dart

I have a 2013 Dodge Dart with about 54000 miles I was going home when all of a sudden my car didn't want to break lucky I wasn't going that fast! I had to hit a curve and pulled the parking brake fast so I wouldn't hit another car. I see a lot of people having this problem and Dodge does not want to do anything about it. I took it to get checked and it's my power brake booster that when out it didn't tell me when it happen so I didn't know I wasn't gunna have no brakes and I'm not the only one some people were not so lucky that they crashed. I really hope Dodge does a recall fast about this problem before some one really gets hurt bad.

- San Antonio, TX, USA

Jul 042015

Dart

I noticed when I started the car and depressed the brake peddle it made a lot of air noise. When I came to a stop sign and tried to stop the brake was very hard to depress and the car took a very long time to stop. I pulled over and restarted the car hoping for a different result. Again the brakes made a lot of air noise, and I practically had to stand on the peddle to get it do depress, to come to a complete stop I had to utilize the emergency brake. I had to have car towed to garage, they replaced the brake booster, then as they pulled it out of the garage, it failed again. They had to replace the master cylinder and the brake booster again.....updated 06/15/16

- Morgantown, WV, USA

Jul 142015

Dart

I started the car and the break pedal made a whoosh and pop and would not depress. Breaks would barely work and pedal no longer moves. Thankfully I was parked at the time and not traveling. According to news reports, this issue is being investigated so I thought I would add my report to the list.

- Odenton, MD, USA

Jul 112015

Dart

Came up to a stop light my brakes went clearly to the floor board. The car was not stopping. Ran the red light, and brakes started to work again. Pulled into my place of employment which was right next to the stop light. Brakes went out again. Brake fluid just poured out after it was put in.

- Herrin, IL, USA

Jan 172015

Dart

When starting to slide on ice the anti lock breaks kicked in but the engine stalled for a second and all of the electronic dash went out. No speedometer no stereo nothing was on it seemed but when I let off the brakes and allowed the car to slide again everything came back on.

- Yorkville, IL, USA

Jul 032015

Dart

While driving approximately 45 mph, the brakes sounded as if air were present. The vehicle would not stop when the brake pedal was depressed. It felt like there was pressure in the pedal. I was heading into a curve and could not slow down. I had to pull the E brake and ended up sliding into a 180 and slid off the road. I am lucky to be alive! this needs to be brought to Dodge' attention immediately! I am afraid of what the cost is to fix this and I don't have a vehicle to drive to work now! the information center on the dashboard says "electronic braking sytem needs to be serviced". this is very dangerous and I am lucky I did not get killed or kill anyone else!

- Appleton, WI, USA

Mar 202014

Dart

First incident in Mar 2014, <10 mph, 40F, 10% neg road grade, engine run time was less than4 minutes.on trying to stop peddle was hard but felt like ineffective power brakes. I estimate that braking effectiveness was less than 10%. I did not hear any unusual nose during the incident. Recovery to normal was within one minute. The second, and last, incident was in either Oct. Or Nov of 2014. Conditions: <10mph, 35F, 5% positive road grade, engine run time more than 30 minutes. I did not smell anything unusual. ( your form does not allow me to enter an incident date. )

- Grasston, MN, USA

Jun 202015

Dart 4-cyl

There was a loud popping sound and ever since whenever the brake pedal was pressed it sounded like air whooshing out of the brake pedal. There was barely enough braking force to stop the vehicle from moving at idle. I had to use the emergency brake to make it home. I took it to a Dodge dealership this morning (6/22/2015) and the brake booster had to be replaced...updated 08/06/15...updated 08/12/15 the consumer stated the vehicle was repaired. The brake booster needed to be replaced. Updated 11/30/2015 updated 12/23/2015....updated 06/15/16

- Novi, MI, USA

Mar 312013

Dart

The contact owns a 2013 Dodge Dart. The contact stated that while driving at 35 mph, the vehicle lost power. In addition, the accelerator pedal was depressed but the vehicle failed to accelerate. The vehicle was towed to a dealer. The contact was unsure about what part needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The contact stated that three years later, while driving at 35 mph, the vehicle began to independently slide to the right. As a result, the contact crashed into a pole and the air bags failed to deploy. The ABS and anti slide warning light illuminated. The contact did not sustain any injuries. A police report was not filed. The vehicle was taken to an auto body repair center for repairs. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 25,000.

- Bronx, NY, USA

Jun 062015

Dart

This is a follow-up report to: Date of incident: 11/18/2014, NHTSA id number: 10659435. 2013 Dodge Dart SXT brakes had failed once before, about six months ago. Brake booster was to blame and replaced by dealer. Dealer stated that this was the first they had heard of the problem and I took it as a fluke. Yesterday I experienced the same thing - pop from the brake pedal then no brakes. Towed to dealer for repair - again! I bought this car to be safe and reliable. I love the car, but it's neither of those things. Thankfully I've been lucky both times and I have not killed myself or others with this defect. The underlying problem needs found and addressed asap.

- Independence, OR, USA

May 222015

Dart

My son was driving and he parallel parked so he could run into a store. I stayed in the car. When he returned he put it in gear and signalled to pull out. Suddenly, there was a loud popping sound and what sounded like air whooshing out of the brake pedal. He attempted to apply the brake and he said it felt like something was stopping it from going down. In fact, he immediately stopped and got out of the car to check. Every time he attempted to depress the pedal, it made the air sound again. Fortunately, we were only a couple of blocks from home. We drove slowly, running stop signs and using the E-brake and downshifting when necessary. Called the dealer. They sent a flat deck to pick it up. They tell us that fluid leaked into the brake booster. Our new car is now in the shop for who knows how long. We bought a new car so these kinds of things wouldn't happen. Now we are carless, with a busy, full work week for us both coming up. My husband requires a reliable car for his work. What is Dodge going to do to reimburse us for the inconvenience and potential danger they put us in with this defect?....updated 06/15/16

- Coquitlam, British Columbia, WA, USA

May 112015

Dart

The contact owns a 2013 Dodge Dart. While driving approximately 45 mph, the brakes sounded as if air were present. The vehicle would not stop when the brake pedal was depressed. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic who stated that the brake booster failed and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 39,000.

- Bourban, MO, USA

Apr 242015

Dart 4-cyl

The brake system shut down at 50 mph, I feared for my life it is one of the scariest things I have ever dealt with, I am lucky I am able to write this letter to you. The problem according to dayton andrews is that the master cylinder fluid leaked into the brake booster, which eventually needed to be replaced. I was told my Dodge warranty expired at 36,000 yet there was 36,920 on the car. This was most definitely a recall or an issue that should have been covered under the Dodge warranty. No normal car at 36,920 has that happen until there was initial problems with the car.....updated 06/15/16

- Clearwater , FL, USA

Jan 162015

Dart

When we are driving the car, it will start to shudder when the check engine light comes on and within a minute the ABS system will turn on. When the ABS system turns on, you can actually feel the braking trying to stop the car. This has happened at all different speeds, from 20 to 30 mph up to highway speeds at 70 mph. You cannot shut of the ABS system with the safety switch when it turns itself on. We have pulled over, turned the engine off and restarted the car. This does not always seem to work. We have turned off the ABS system when we have started the car, but the computer in the engine will override this and has turned it back on. When that happens, it starts to try braking again while we are driving down the road. We have had the car back to the dealership several times trying to get this resolved, but they have not been successful in solving this problem. The dealership has called Chrysler to find out what to do about this problem. They were told to change the ignition coil power pack, which they did. When the car was returned to us, it started this same problem again. The last time we took it in (April 2015) the dealership kept it for two weeks and was unable to recreate the problem. Since that time it has done this to us twice, but before we could get it to the dealership for repair, it corrected itself. Has anyone else had this problem?

- Peck, KS, USA

Mar 162015

Dart

I was at a drive-thru and when I went to pull up in line my brakes failed and I had to pull the emergency brake to stop. The brake pedal was very hard and would not go down. I parked the car and had it towed to a dealer. It was the brake booster. I had an extended warranty and had it fixed. I had been on the interstate earlier. If it had failed then, I do not know what would have happened. This was a very scary incident and I am concerned that the new part could fail or that others could have this problem and not be as fortunate as I was.

- New Johnsonville, TN, USA

Dec 262014

Dart

The contact owns a 2013 Dodge Dart. The contact stated that the brake pedal was depressed and failed to respond. The contact mentioned that the brake pedal was stiff and required excessive force in order to stop the vehicle. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The VIN was not available. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 38,000.

- Santa Rosa, TX, USA

Nov 202014

Dart

The contact owns a 2013 Dodge Dart. The contact stated that the brake pedal was depressed but failed to engage and stop the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to a dealer. The technician diagnosed that the brake booster system was faulty. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 42,000.

- La Grande, OR, USA

Nov 182014

Dart 4-cyl

I heard a popping sound when I applied my brakes - pedal was hard and braking did not work. I was able to stop by downshifting to slow my speed and using the emergency brake. To be clear - my brand new car, with fewer than 11K miles, that I have owned for less than a year, did not have any functioning brakes. Fortunately this happened while I was driving to the freeway, not when I was leaving the freeway at 70mph. My car was towed to the dealer where they diagnosed it as a failed brake booster and said that the cause was a "factory defect" - this is a terrifying factory defect that could have very easily led to a totaled car and serious injury or death to me, my passengers, pedestrians, other drivers. I bought a brand new car to ensure the highest level of safety and reliability. This is unacceptable and I sincerely hope that it will be taken seriously, reviewed and corrected.....updated 06/15/16

- Independence, OR, USA

Sep 172014

Dart

The contact owns a 2013 Dodge Dart. While driving approximately 20 mph, the engine rpms decreased and the vehicle started to jerk violently. The contact mentioned that the failure recurred whenever any electrical component was activated. Also, the air bag warning light illuminated intermittently and the engine overheated while the vehicle was parked. The vehicle was taken to the dealer. The technician was unable to diagnose the failure. The manufacturer was notified. The approximate failure mileage was 16,500.

- Philadelphia, PA, USA

Oct 262014

Dart 4-cyl

I picked up my friend from her apartment and started driving towards a major street. I was going about 30 mph, as I was approaching the stop sign I pressed on the brake pedal and it made a sound. The car did not slow down. I pulled on the parking brake and it didn't stop the car. I kept pressing on the brake pedals but they wouldn't engage. I end up crashing into a vehicle kind of like T-bone the crossing car. My car was declared totaled. Estimated mileage at 36,200. El paso, Texas.....updated 06/15/16

- El Paso, TX, USA