CarComplaints.com Notes: The first year of the new Dodge Dart had a rough start, with owners reporting a disproportionate number of engine and transmission problems.

For transmission, the main complaints are transmission failure & rough shifting. So far, average mileage for transmission failure is 25,000 miles. Not good.

For engine problems, it usually starts with the engine light coming on for any number of reasons: bad sensors, ignition coil replacement, bad wiring, faulty gas cap ... dealers are replacing various components with varying degrees of success, or telling owners they can't duplicate the issue.

2013 Dodge Dart drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Dodge Dart:

2013 Dodge Dart Owner Comments (Page 11 of 12)

Nov 292013

Dart 4-cyl

Owned this vehicle for 10 months and issues with engine stalling/hesitation have gotten progressively worse since my first encounter at the dealership at 13,300 miles. I first reported this issue with engine stalling/hesitation and they stated it was a spark plug/plug wire issue, (iridium spark plugs rated for 100,000 miles). After replacing the spark plug they then determined it needed a control module replaced and an engine reset for my computer system. After that it has been in a few more times over the last 3 months for the same engine stalling and hesitation issues. My engine has been "reset and the computer updated" and since my gas mileage has gotten worse as well as the stalling/hesitation issues are still there and becoming more frequent. Then my transmission started slipping as I was in D as if I had put my vehicle into N and pressed the gas pedal just revving the engine, it has done the same when I switch to put my vehicle in R. I took it back to the dealer and they couldn't duplicate the issue therefore giving them nothing to go by other than my word of mouth experience. Days after taking my vehicle home from the dealer it went out on my as I was driving on a major thoroughway at 50mph. I pressed the gas approaching an intersection and it just revved the engine, lights flashed on shifter and dash. I had to manually switch through my gears to try and get the car to go. After my husband pulled my vehicle to the nearest parking area safely I tried to start the vehicle again and go forward, it wouldn't start right away it tried to crank but wouldn't turn over when it started just the service engine light was on my dash no more errors were displayed. I did manage to take pictures with my cellphone before. I want Dodge to own up and fix this instead od putting a bandaid and sending me along. Customer care has not been helpful at all and this vehicle is not safe.

- Edgewater, FL, USA

Dec 102012

Dart

The contact owns a 2013 Dodge Dart. The contact was driving 65 mph when the engine suddenly stalled. The contact took the vehicle to the dealer but the defect could not be duplicated. The vehicle was not repaired. The contact informed the manufacturer of the defect. The contact referenced NHTSA campaign number 13V28000 (power train) but the vehicle was not included in the recall. The failure mileage was 200.

- Laredo, TX, USA

Oct 232013

Dart 4-cyl

Pressed in clutch pedal to start vehicle. After car started, tried to take car out of gear but it wouldn't budge. Also, the clutch peddle would not release, as it was stuck to the fully pressed position. Car began to roll as if it started to disengage but the peddle was still completely pressed in. I immediately turned the car off. I had to pull the clutch peddle up by hand to get it to disengage. Called dealer service, said they couldn't resolve the issue if they couldn't duplicate the problem. I've noticed many people with the same issue. Chrysler needs to issue a recall on this.

- Blanchard, OK, USA

Aug 242013

Dart 4-cyl

Transmission service light came on and traveled another 15 miles before transmission disconnected from engine while in drive gear. Vehicle towed to nearest Dodge dealer who determined that a module mounted on the side of the transmission was defective. Part installed 5 days later. Vehicle taken for quality check and vehicle stopped during ride and transmission light came on again. Dealer dropped transmission pan and found broken parts. Parts ordered and installed 5 days later. Vehicle taken for another check ride and light came on again. Tech service indicated that transmission computer was defective and another 5 days before part would be available. Dealer send email describing that part was not available for 6 more weeks. By this coming Monday, vehicle will have been in the shop for 26 days. Dodge customer care states they are restrained from installing a new transmission and dealer will continue to attempt all repairs. Dodge solution is unsatisfactory.

- Ames, IA, USA

Aug 012013

Dart 4-cyl

Clutch pedal does not always come all the way back up. I have to pull it up with my foot. I can tell it does not have the clutch engaged to burn it out. Just a irritating thing to have to do on a brand new car. Took it to the dealership for another issue and had them check it. They could not get it to stick. And since Chrysler system was down they didn't know what to look at. This happens and random times. This morning it happened. When I went to push the clutch down I could tell there was no resistance for a few inches. When I released the clutch it only came part way up again. Biggest frustration is the tech's can not problem solve anything with out a computer telling them what to do. I made a few suggestions on what to check but they had not clue. Since this is the first year for this car I do expect bugs in the system. However they should be prepared to problem solve this problems. I should not have to make suggestions or problem solve it myself.

- Williamstown, KY, USA

Aug 302013

Dart

When I go to shift from 1st to 2nd gear the clutch pedal stays depressed, this keeps the car in neutral and leaving it unable to deliver power to maneuver.

- Rushville , IN, USA

Mar 062013

Dart

The contact owns a 2013 Dodge Dart. The contact stated that while driving approximately 10 mph, the vehicle stalled without warning. The contact mentioned that the vehicle was previously repaired under NHTSA campaign id number: 13V238000 (power train). The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the power transmission control module needed to be reprogrammed. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The vehicle was repaired on three occasions but the failure continuously recurred. The approximate failure mileage was 20 and the current mileage was 22,000.

- Columbia , MO, USA

Aug 242013

Dart

Transmission service light came on, traveled approximately 10 more miles stopping for gas. Would not go into reverse, but did after cooling down for 10 minutes more. Resumed travel on interstate traveling 6 more miles, then engine disconnected from transmission. Called road service and dealer finally found problem after 3 days. Vehicle also disconnected for dealer service rep twice. Vehicle computer uploaded again with revision and then would not start. Part is not readily available and still waiting 10 days after problem for part after it was identified.

- Ames, IA, USA

Aug 062013

Dart

The contact owns a 2013 Dodge Dart. The contact stated that while driving 3 mph, the transmission gear unavailable and auto stick warning lights illuminated as the vehicle became hesitant to acceleration attempts. The vehicle was taken to a dealer for diagnosis and the contact was informed that the transmission would need to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired however, the failure recurred ninety minutes after the repair while the contact was driving 40 mph. The vehicle was not further repaired. The failure and current mileage was 11,500.

- New Brighton, PA, USA

Aug 022013

Dart 4-cyl

1. clutch started to lose resistance couple times a month in two last months. Now almost every day after long time not using it. It freely going down, sometimes stuck in the half way out and have to be pulled up. 2. brakes started lose resistance recently also after long time not to be used (1 or more hours) specially in the morning. It freely going down half way producing air blow sound. After a few times pushing pedal down air blow stops and resistance gets ok. Behind of brake pedal it feels some king of liquid. 3. acceleration at high speed takes longer time then it was before and requires to switch to lower gear. (turbo problem?) 4. mpg decreased. On the same way to and back to work usually it was 32-33 mpg. Now it gets 28-29 today brought car to dealer. After a whole day of inspection nothing wrong was found.

- Palmdale, CA, USA

Aug 072013

Dart

On three separate occasions when I am in traffic and have to do a lot of start/stop the car stalls, will not go into gear and start smoking. It smells as if the clutch is burning and the car will not go into gear. I have to pull over for about 30min to an hour to stop this from continuing. This is a brand new car and I have taken it to the dealer and they of course cant duplicate the problem and the tech is telling me the clutch is overheating because of user error. I have been driving a stick shift for about 15 years and have never had any problems with my other stick shifts like this one. Everyone around me can see the car smoking and my daughter is scared to death to get back in the car because she has experienced this twice now and she is only 4 years old she think the car is going to catch on fire. I should not have to pull over for an hour everytime I am in traffic. I live in a city where that is not preventable. There has got to be something that can be done about this.

- Middletown, NY, USA

Apr 012013

Dart

The contact owns a 2013 Dodge Dart. The contact stated that the vehicle stalled without warning however, once restarted it operated as designed. The failure recurred numerous times. The vehicle was taken to a dealer for diagnosis on four different dates but a diagnostic was not performed. Four months later, the vehicle failed to accelerate. The vehicle was towed to a dealer for diagnosis and the contact was informed that the transmission would need to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 1,500 and the current mileage was 19,737.

- Vickburg, MS, USA

Jul 242013

Dart

The contact owns a 2013 Dodge Dart. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign 13V238000 (power train) and notified an authorized dealer for the recall service. The dealer stated that the manufacturer had not updated information to remedy the recall and did not have a timeframe available for the repair to begin. The manufacturer was not contacted. The approximate failure mileage was 15,000.

- Des Moines, IA, USA

Apr 142013

Dart

I bought my 13 Dart (1.4 w/6spd) and at the 200 mile mark the car began to "surge" when shifting through 2nd and 3rd gear, from 2,700 to 3,300 rpms. Initially it was just annoying and noticeable. My 1st trip to the dealership didn't solve the problem, but the service manager told me Dodge said it is a normal function of the multiair turbo, and I should switch to premium fuel. While at the dealership I drove a used 1.4/6spd and it had the same surging issue. Another week went by and at approx 1,400 miles the surging could be felt in 4th gear. A second trip to the dealership didn't resolve the problem. Again, Dodge told the service manager "it's normal. Switch to premium." I then switched to premium and after three full tanks the vehicle now surges in 2 to 6th gear, all around 2,700 to 3,300 rpms. Additionally, on multiple occasions the vehicle was going 45mph in 4th and when I tried to speed up the car would surge violently and I had to pull over to avoid oncoming traffic because the car would not go any faster. Now, a third trip to the dealership still no resolution. Now, at 6,100 miles, I was driving through wva hills and in 6th at 75mph the car began to violently surge causing me to pull over out of the way of oncoming traffic behind me. I have switched back to 87 grade gas but I only get 39mpg avg vs 45mpg avg I was getting. Initially, I was excited about my new purchase and the dealership communicated with me extensively. Now that they have no resolution for this "normal" surge the GM won't call me back or answer my calls. When I called Chrysler the initial case manager took my case for investigation, but after only 2 days she told me the case has been forwarded up to a higher level executive investigation team, but in over a week I have heard nothing. Now even the initial case manager won't respond. Dealership acknowledges the surge issue in every repair invoice.

- New Bern, NC, USA

Feb 212013

Dart

My vehicle was parked in my driveway from Feb. 21, 2013 from 11:30 am to approximately 4:00 pm when it rolled down the driveway hit a tree and stopped in the middle of the street. The car was parked in first gear and the parking brake was engaged. The driveway has an approximately 20% slope at the location the car was parked. The second incident took place on May 2, 2013 approximately 1:00 pm. The vehicle had been parked in the same location for three weeks as I was out of town. It was once again parked in first gear, with the parking brake engaged. As I approached the vehicle it began to roll down the slope it was parked on. I have witnesses for both incidents. Chrysler has inspected the vehicle twice and reports there is nothing wrong with the brakes or transmission.

- Moraga, CA, USA

Mar 252013

Dart

When driving down the highway, I attempted to downshift to change lanes. The clutch basically popped and went to the floor. I then had to swerve in traffic in order to get off the highway. I have a 2013 Dart SXT with the 1.4L multiair engine and the 6 speed transmission. After looking around on there web, this is apparently not an isolated incident and may actually be a known issue with the vehicles. Chrysler needs to not only fix this problem, but it should be recalled as it can happen at any time. I have found that some vehicles have this happen in as little as the first few days of ownership or as in my case, after a few thousand miles. It is dangerous. I would put in the VIN, but the car is currently at the dealership as this happened today. Thank you.

- Frisco, TX, USA

Mar 202013

Dart 4-cyl

2013 Dodge Dart SXT with 1.4 liter turbo and dual dry clutch transmission. Vehicle going downhill, in traffic, after light turned green. Vehicle would not shift from second gear, both in automatic and manual modes, until we were able to pull over and put the vehicle in park.

- Chatsworth, CA, USA

Feb 182013

Dart 4-cyl

On 02/18/2013 car would start, but would not go in to gear, error message read put in to reverse and try again. Would not switch into reverse or neutral or drive at all, it was very cold that morning (27) dealership says it is the transmission, still waiting for the parts (03/05/2013).

- Montgomery Village, MD, USA

Jan 102013

Dart

This vehicle shifts so bad and that cars I've driven that were 5 - 10 years older shifted better than this. It downshifts while braking and sometime it is a very jerky downshift.also it slams/jolts into first gear while rolling at about 3-5 miles per hour once the pedal is pushed. It also is the worst at changing gears during stop and go driving because it is so jerky and bouncy after braking then accelerating and I don't see why a car that is brand new should do this. After taking it to the dealer and having them tell me to brake it in first, I have done so and have 700+ miles on it and have had them perform transmission flash updates with no effect on the shifting problems. I can't see how this transmission( and all parts that work together with it )will last with these sort of things happening. Also it bogs out because it won't downshift when it should and stays at about 1300-1400 RPM's when it should be about 4-5000 RPM's higher. I've driven new cars and the Dodge Dart 2013 SE 2.0 liter model seems like it wasn't ready yet for the road.the acceleration is very bouncy too when it should be a steady acceleration.

- Eureka, CA, USA

Jan 172013

Dart

My assessment, which is based on engineering expertise not empirical evidence, suggests that, rather than responding to driver controlled by-wire" instructions to brake preparatory to a hard right turn into our driveway, the vehicle took control of the throttle, brake, and (drive-by-wire ?) clutch propelling itself 20 meters further down-road to the river shoreline. Perhaps reading the brake command as an acceleration instruction (or "?") the vehicle continued forward and drove itself off the road, tumbling 2 metres onto a beach, then from the beach onto the river ice which extends out towards mid-river. It continued across that ice only to end its forward progress at the ice/water boundary where it plunged into open water within 100 meters of home. These events effectively ending a journey home with death. The ottawa coroner reports no indication (such as blood alcohol levels / medical events) to indicate the driver contributed to this outcome in any way. If the driver is not responsible then responsibility for this event lies with the vehicle and the vehicle alone. It is worth noting that (1) my son is a professional AZ licensed driver (2) having fished it often, is intimately familiar with the road/ferry boundary immediately adjacent to our home (3) were mechanically operated steering all that remained under his control he would have had three choices: Right into the river; straight ahead into the river, or left onto a beach formed by the deposition of river silt over time (the car went left off the road) (4) the record left by his body shows arm and fist posture that suggest deployment of the airbags literally forced his hands off the steering wheel. Strapped and pinned to their seats by the vehicles safety systems, my wife and son were helpless onlookers as the vehicle delivered them to their death. Black box analysis to follow.

- Watertown, NY, USA