CarComplaints.com Notes: The first year of the new Dodge Dart had a rough start, with owners reporting a disproportionate number of engine and transmission problems.

For transmission, the main complaints are transmission failure & rough shifting. So far, average mileage for transmission failure is 25,000 miles. Not good.

For engine problems, it usually starts with the engine light coming on for any number of reasons: bad sensors, ignition coil replacement, bad wiring, faulty gas cap ... dealers are replacing various components with varying degrees of success, or telling owners they can't duplicate the issue.

2013 Dodge Dart drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Dodge Dart:

2013 Dodge Dart Owner Comments (Page 6 of 12)

Dec 182013

Dart

The contact owns a 2013 Dodge Dart. The contact stated that the vehicle was included in NHTSA campaign number: 15V542000 (power train); however, the part needed for the repair was unavailable. The contact experienced the failure prior to receiving the recall notification. The contact stated that the vehicle would began to accelerate while applying the brakes.the failure was persistent. The vehicle was taken to a dealer numerous times where it was finally diagnosed that the transmission control module failed and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired, but not per the recall. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair and was still waiting on the necessary parts. The manufacturer was aware of the issue. The failure mileage was approximately 9,400.

- Nashua, NH, USA

Oct 282015

Dart

The contact owns a 2013 Dodge Dart. While driving approximately 34 mph, the vehicle decelerated and jerked forward without warning. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The VIN was included in NHTSA campaign number: 15V542000 (power train). The failure mileage was 4,907.

- Garden City, NY, USA

Oct 262015

Dart

Reverse cable for the manual transmission snapped clean off. Dealership claiming that it is not covered on warranty because it is not considered an internal part.

- Santa Rosa, CA, USA

Mar 182015

Dart

When I'm driving the car sometimes I will press the gas but it will not go it rolls back...often when this happens I'm in traffic. I took the car back to the dealership numerous times and they say nothing is wrong. They even told me it was dealing with the hill assist but I explained to them when this happens I'm not on a hill. My children and I have almost had numerous wrecks. I recently received the recall letter about this issue (R42) but the letter states they do not have the parts to fix this issue at this time and this issue can cause wrecks but they will not do a manufacture buy back. Also my heal/cool and gas gauge shakes the gauge will some fluctuate up and down, I told the dealership and they ignored me.

- Bessemer, AL, USA

Aug 282015

Dart

The contact owns a 2013 Dodge Dart. While the vehicle was parked with the engine running and the driver side door open, it rolled away. The contact attempted to re-enter the vehicle to engage the emergency brake, but wasknocked to the ground by the door. The vehicle rolled over the contact's legs and crashed into a house. The air bags failed to deploy. The contact sustained injuries to the right and left leg and left hand that required medical attention. A police report was filed. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 15V542000 (power train). The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 13,200.

- Vacaville, CA, USA

Jun 012015

Dart

The contact owns a 2013 Dodge Dart. While driving at 55 mph, the transmission slipped into neutral. The vehicle was repaired, but the failure recurred. The details of the failure were unavailable. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 29,000.

- Sussex, NJ, USA

Oct 122015

Dart

While driving on the highway in the fast lane, my gas pedal went all the way to the floor and my car lost all acceleration and steering became hard to turn. When this happened most of my car engine lights were blinking and when I placed the car in park the vehicle didn't notice it was in park. Thankfully I was able to get off to the emergency shoulder. I took the car into the dealership where they told me there was a recall notice in August 26th which was just sent out to Dodge Dart owners. The dealership told me it would cost me 1,500-2,000 to fix the problem, money which I do not have so I traded in my car with negative equity, and the dealership, I believe was very non-professional and took advantage of the situation. They also showed me an incorrect nada price chart for the trade-in value to my car.

- Denver, CO, USA

Oct 012015

Dart

The contact owns a 2013 Dodge Dart. The contact stated that while driving various speeds, the transmission warning indicator illuminated. The failure recurred on a separate occasion. The VIN was included in NHTSA campaign number: 15V542000 (power train) however, the recall was expected to begin on October 24, 2015. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 42,000.

- Guyton, GA, USA

Oct 152015

Dart

The contact owns a 2013 Dodge Dart. While driving 60 mph, the vehicle stalled and the check engine warning light illuminated. The contact was unable to reverse due to the gear shift being unable to shift. The vehicle was taken to the dealer and the vehicle experienced the failure three times on its way. The failure was unable to be determined. Additionally, the contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 15V542000 (power train). The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 33,222.

- Fontana, CA, USA

Aug 252015

Dart

The contact owns a 2013 Dodge Dart. The contact stated that the dealer did not disclose that the vehicle was included in NHTSA campaign number: 15V542000 (power train). Within a week of purchasing the vehicle, it had to be taken back because there was a bubble in the front passenger side tire. The dealer replaced the tire. In addition, two weeks later, the service transmission warning light illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who stated that the vehicle was riding roughly and the battery was replaced. Within a week, the service transmission warning light flashed again. The dealer was notified a third time and the contact called and received no response from the dealer. A second dealer was contacted and scheduled an appointment on October 16, 2015. The manufacturer was notified of the failure and indicated that the part was not available to repair the vehicle. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 50,000.

- Lake Panasoffkee, FL, USA

Oct 032014

Dart

Ongoing clutch/hydraulic problems have caused me to be in several unsafe situations. First safety concern was due to car stalling when attempting to accelerate from a stop. There were several times that improper clutch engagement caused the car to jerk and die at a stop. Second concern was from difficulty shifting gears in stop and go traffic due to clutch not engaging fully. Third concern was from total system failure (19426 miles): Exited interstate highway and depressed clutch to shift to neutral. While depressing the clutch I heard a loud pop/clunk sound and the clutch instantly dropped to the floor. I then started smelling the clutch burning and had no ability to shift or engage gears. I was left in the middle of the roadway and had to push my vehicle to a safe location on the shoulder of the road thanks to the help of some people that stopped. After towing the vehicle to the dealership for repair, I was told the flywheel, pressure plate, and clutch needed to be replaced (19,426 miles). Fourth concern was a failure of the clutch (approx 34,735 miles): After backing out of a driveway the clutch stuck to the floor and would not return to the normal position causing the inability to shift. After restarting vehicle I had to lift clutch by hand and pump clutch to regain hydraulic pressure. I was told clutch had failed and was blamed for failure from riding clutch mileage problems first reported (I continued to mention problems on later visits): 1555 - noise releasing clutch 2072 - resistance and engagement changing in the clutch mileage/repairs made: 5905 - master cylinder/actuator replaced 19426 - clutch, pressure plate, and flywheel replaced 34747 - clutch, pressure plate, flywheel, and slave cylinder replaced (awaiting amended repair order) after latest repair the car is back in shop due to returned hydraulic pressure variance

- Choctaw, OK, USA

Sep 252015

Dart

My car was purchased 4/2013. After three months a new slave cylinder was installed after the computer read no gears, service transmission. This has happened again several times in the two years that I have had the car. Every the I turn the car off after this happens, the computer resets, so when it gets to the dealer, the claim they can't replicate the problem. This was happening intermittently, now its every day. I can't drive the car to work for fear that it will give out. The last few times this has happened, the car wouldn't start back up. I had to sit for a few minutes before it would restart. This is a hazard. The car has no gears while I'm on the highway yravelin at 80 mph. This is not safe for me or for others on the highway.

- Butner, NC, USA

Apr 172013

Dart

The contact owns a 2013 Dodge Dart. The contact stated that while driving at various speeds, the vehicle shuttered while shifting. Additionally, the service transmission warning light illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnostic testing. The dealer determined the transmission control module needed to replaced. The vehicle was repaired however, the failure reoccurred. While in an idle position, the vehicle independently shifted from drive to neutral. The VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 15V542000 (power train). The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 20.

- Sainte Genevieve , MO, USA

Sep 252015

Dart

The contact owns a 2013 Dodge Dart. The contact stated that while in park, the vehicle rolled out of the driveway independently. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure and advised the contact that the vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 13V124000 (parking brake). The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The failure mileage was 53,000.

- Ft Worth , TX, USA

Sep 032015

Dart

9/03/15 my transmission went out without warning while going approx 65 mph on the highway. RPM's shot up and the trans went out instantaneously. I was able to pull over, engine and trans lights came on, car would not go in any gear. I shut the car off and was not able to restart it, meanwhile I sat like a sitting duck waiting for a tow truck, hoping that the speeding cars and semi trucks approaching would not crash into me. I had the car towed to a dealer. Dealer said the cause was a flashed PCM, it was reprogrammed I was told it fixed the problem. On 9/05/15 1 hour after coming home from work the car would not start again. Dealer was closed for the weekend so I let it sit for a while, 2 hours later the car started but would not go in reverse, an hour later, the car had reverse but no drive.the next morning the car started, all lights were off and all gears worked and I was able to drive it to the dealer. The dealer said codes were now showing it was the trans range sensor. Got the car back for the 2nd time on Sept.16. Sept.19 I was driving home from work in the next state, the trans went out again while going 65 mph on the highway again! this time I was left stranded over 70 highway miles from home. After waiting a few hours I was finally was able to drive home, taking take side roads in case the car stopped again. What should've been a 1 1/2 hour ride home on the interstate took me over 5 hours driving on side roads. This car is going back to the dealer again for the 3rd time in 2 1/2 weeks! this is unacceptable, there are too many reports involving this issue on several websites I do not feel safe driving this car anymore or having my wife and kids in it. This is an extremely serious safety issue that needs to be addressed immediately! something needs to happen before (not after) this "known" transmission stalling issue causes a serious accident and kills someone!

- Woodridge, IL, USA

Feb 182015

Dart

The gear shift is shifted into drive, the transmission delays shifting into gear. When it does shift into gear the car accelerates without pressing the gas peddle. This is the ddc transmission. This is happened at least 3 times

- New Castle, DE, USA

Sep 092015

Dart

The contact owns a 2013 Dodge Dart. While driving at approximately 60 mph, the transmission service warning light illuminated. In addition, the vehicle independently shifted to the neutral position and stopped. The vehicle was towed to a dealer, but the failure could not be duplicated. The VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 15V542000 (power train). The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 29,000. Updated 11/18/15 the consumer stated the control module and bracket were repaired at his expense. The vehicle was repaired and the consumer was reimbursed for the cost of repairs. Updated 1/14/2016 updated 01/27/16.

- Twinsburg , OH, USA

Sep 072015

Dart

When driving down the road, the car started stuttering and making a whooshing/whistling sound. Keep loosing power to the car. When I would try to speed up, it would make it worse, and would make the check engine light start blinking. I ran the code, that came back as code P1eca. I believe this is part of the power train recall, though my car is not on the recall list, I believe it needs to be. This problem came out of nowhere with regular maintenance, and everything I have tried to fix it has not worked.

- Lynchburg, VA, USA

Sep 072015

Dart

The contact owns a 2013 Dodge Dart. While attempting to park the vehicle, the cable to the transmission fractured and prevented the vehicle from reversing. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic to be diagnosed. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 62,974.

- Luckey, OH, USA

Sep 012015

Dart

The contact owns a 2013 Dodge Dart. After the vehicle was parked and switched into the park position from reverse, the vehicle rolled backed without warning. The contact mentioned that the gear shift box displayed that the vehicle was in reverse; however, the gear shift was in the park position. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the shift cable was fractured and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 58,079. The VIN was not available.

- Wilmington, NC, USA