Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The first year of the new Dodge Dart had a rough start, with owners reporting a disproportionate number of engine and transmission problems.

For transmission, the main complaints are transmission failure & rough shifting. So far, average mileage for transmission failure is 25,000 miles. Not good.

For engine problems, it usually starts with the engine light coming on for any number of reasons: bad sensors, ignition coil replacement, bad wiring, faulty gas cap ... dealers are replacing various components with varying degrees of success, or telling owners they can't duplicate the issue.

2013 Dodge Dart electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Dodge Dart:

2013 Dodge Dart Owner Comments (Page 3 of 5)

Mar 182015

When I'm driving the car sometimes I will press the gas but it will not go it rolls back...often when this happens I'm in traffic. I took the car back to the dealership numerous times and they say nothing is wrong. They even told me it was dealing with the hill assist but I explained to them when this happens I'm not on a hill. My children and I have almost had numerous wrecks. I recently received the recall letter about this issue (R42) but the letter states they do not have the parts to fix this issue at this time and this issue can cause wrecks but they will not do a manufacture buy back. Also my heal/cool and gas gauge shakes the gauge will some fluctuate up and down, I told the dealership and they ignored me.

- Bessemer, AL, USA

Feb 102014

Attempting to pull out into traffic the vehicle did not accelerate and stalled with the front quarter of the vehicle in oncoming traffic. Vehicle was quickly put into park and reversed into safety.

- Alexandria, VA, USA

Feb 182015

The gear shift is shifted into drive, the transmission delays shifting into gear. When it does shift into gear the car accelerates without pressing the gas peddle. This is the ddc transmission. This is happened at least 3 times

- New Castle, DE, USA

Jun 132013

I bought my car on May 6, 2013 and I have been taking my car to whitten brothers in ashland Virginia for all the service and repair work. On June 13, 2013 I had a recall done and all of the repairs started.the air bag wiring and harnesses replaced in June 2013. The turbo has been replace 4 times as of August 27, 2015. The waste gate actuator has been replace 3 times. 08/12/14 the vacuum sensor signal replaced power brake check valve and sadder and repaired 2 wires going to the vacuum sensor. Transmission control module has been replaced twice on 09/11/15. On 06/26/14 the cruise control switch was replaced but still does not work properly because the car is always having a problem which will stop it from working. On 06/26/14 the control panel was replaced. On 02/18/15 PCM radio wiring, right front door and subwoofer speakers replaced. On 08/27/15 front struts and back shock absorbers replaced. On 09/01/15 replaced battery and transmission light came on. I have recently had all the updates done on my car while its been in the shop and now I am tired of being taken advantage of by Chrysler. I should not have to lose thousands of dollars to trade or sell my car back to a dealer to get out of this nightmare. I want my car recalled back for a full refund because of the reoccurring problems I keep having. I have sent a lemon law letter to Chrysler on September 14, 2014 and put them on notice about all the problems with this car and demanded a buy back which in turn they gave me an extended warranty which has covered all the repair expenses. I also just settled a law suit with Chrysler through the law offices of krohn and moss in Chicago the lawyer did not pursue my case in court due to being out of state. So therefore, I only won $5,000 to cover the attorney fee of $3,500 leaving me $1,500. My total purchase price was $21,671 and that is what I am fighting for!

- Bruington, VA, USA

Aug 152015

We were just leaving on a weekend trip, stopped for gas and started to pull out from driveway when the brakes failed and we ended up halfway in the road. Thankfully it was clear at the time and thankfully we were 3 blocks from home. The brake pedal became very stiff and has a whooshing sound. I'm so upset with the quality of this car. I've had several issues with it since the day I purchased it and after multiple trips to the dealership none of the issues have been resolved except one I figured out on my own. I will not suggest anyone buy a Dart and expect to have all these issues dealt with at no cost as after reading multiple complaints I see its a common issue

- San Jose, CA, USA

Aug 132015

The cluster that houses the speedometer is wrong. Currently the speedometer even reads 20mph even though the car is not even running. It is hard to tell how fast I am going without reliable speedometer information.

- Oklahoma City, OK, USA

Jun 172014

Vehicle threw an error message on the led dashboard about servicing the transmission. Unable to place car in reverse or drive. After messing with it for a while (shutting vehicle off and turning back on, pausing for a few minutes) the vehicle would finally work again. This seemed to happen during the middle of the year and towards winter with the recall eventually taking place. (2014). I argued with the dealership to provide something for transportation since I had no other options. After arguing and finally getting a rental they offered to pay 3 days. It took them multiple days to look into the issue and they found low transmission fluid. There was a software update to take care of the recall as well. This year almost 6 months since the last incident the same issues are occurring. About two weeks ago I came across the same issues. It took a week to get an appointment with the local dealer and I had to borrow a vehicle since the car has trouble accelerating with these issues. They performed a software update and it seemed to work for a week. Today the engine wouldn't start but the cars computers turned on. After testing different steps the car finally turned on but the acceleration is clunky and doesn't shift appropriately.

- Normal, IL, USA

Jan 172015

When starting to slide on ice the anti lock breaks kicked in but the engine stalled for a second and all of the electronic dash went out. No speedometer no stereo nothing was on it seemed but when I let off the brakes and allowed the car to slide again everything came back on.

- Yorkville, IL, USA

Jun 162015

The contact owns a 2013 Dodge Dart. While idling, the vehicle stalled without warning. Following the failure, the check engine, service transmission, and oil low pressure lights illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer on three separate occasions for diagnostic testing. The dealer factory reset the vehicle and replaced the hydrological pump. The vehicle was repaired, but the failure recurred. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 17,800.

- Orlando, FL, USA

Jun 132015

Started my vehicle this morning and notice that electronic throttle control light went on and started flashing, which I had the same issue on 6/13/15 and had it tow to the dealer at which they told me it was a battery failure and it was replaced with a new battery and now waiting on a tow to take it back to the Dodge to scare to take a chance to drive the vehicle cause it started to missfire and idle and it shut down on me.....

- Belleville, NJ, USA

May 062014

Turbo malfunctioned and car would decelerate on hills. Clutch pedal kept getting stuck in position and would not disengage.

- Bay Shore, NY, USA

Jun 032015

I purchased by vehicle approximately two years ago and the battery, rather suddenly, died on me turning onto a busy street causing the car to stop working without a rolling start. Upon inspection of the car, a mechanic and friend of mine found "shady" work done on certain parts of the electrical system. I believe it was inside the distribution box, was found what seemed to be a fuse attached to a chunk of plastic that was just dangling in the box by just the wire and the box itself had be held closed by zip ties after seemingly having been forced open during a previous service. After the battery was replaced, car still exhibited problems with the cruise control requiring additional service.

Feb 252015

My speedometer and tachometer finally got fixed 12,000 miles after my original complaint regarding this issue to the dealer. I need to bring in video on my cell phone of the incident occurring and complain to Dodge corporate to get the issue resolved in a timely manner.

Jun 132014

The turbo charger on my 2013 Dodge Dart was discovered as needing to be replaced and the instrument gauge containing the speedometer and tachometer and others needed to be replaced after they intermittently would stop working. The turbo in the car was fixed but the dealer (walser hopkins Dodge) failed to address the issue regarding the instrument cluster until 12,000 miles later.

Feb 192015

Dec 312014

The fuse that powers the rear backup camera failed twice within one year. This particular fuse is buried somewhere in the dash and requires tremendous time and effort to change. Luckily I was under warranty both times but no more. I am concerned it will continue to happen outside the warranty.

- Bristol, CT, USA

Dec 112013

I purchased my 2013 Dodge Dart on August 9, 2013 from federico Chrysler Dodge Jeep in wood river il. Within 4 mos on December 11, 2013, I had my car in the shop because my middle console was inop. After checking it they determined the console needed replacing. Two months later on February 11, 2014 I had my car in a second time for middle console. This time they installed an integrated stack. Then, 9 mos later on November 21, 2014 a third time I had my car in again for middle console not operating properly. This was my first contact to Dodge about this issue and was assigned a customer care manager. I asked if my car would be considered for lemon law and was told Chrysler was intersted in buying my car back and was given a mopar warranty in deductible of $100 and at time car had over 34,000 and warranty expires at 60,000. Then just this past April 2nd of 2015 I had my car in shop at cassens and sons in edwardsville, il again because middle console was not operating properly. They downloaded an update per star. I was responsible for $100 deductible. I then went on a trip to new orleans, la and while on my trip the middle console was not operating properly. I contacted Chrysler again was assigned a case manager and was told that they would get to the bottom of the issue. So, I took my car in on April 29th the soonest I could get it in and after 8 hours at service was called and told that star couldn't figure out why it was happening and since they couldn't duplicate problem not to replace any new parts. After hearing this news I was called and john customer care manager told me that Chrysler wouldn't iniatate the lemon law that I would to do so.

- Granite City, IL, USA

Jan 012013

The horn fails to honk quickly and reliably when the steering wheel horn switch is pressed. To explain what this is like, when you want to "double tap" the horn to signify to a friend in a parking lot, or as often happens when I'm driving to signal to another driver a "double quick honk" of concern. If the horn sounds, its either a single short blast or extra long blast. The cause of this, is that the horn switch goes to one dbus controller that must cycle through the inputs, once this first controller sees the horn switch active* then sends a signal on to another control module, this one too operates on a databus/scan type system, and so has to cycle through its inputs until it happens upon the "horn switch active" signal, and then the second module activates the horn relay to send current to the horn. Because both databuss scans are so slow, it either misses the horn press initially, or when it picks up on the horn switch press, it fails to see the switch has been released for until the 1st module has cycled back to the input, .. and again the same happens with the 2nd module. In three cases now, its caused road rage, when the other driver though I was "laying on" the horn, when all I attempted was a double tap, because they were encroaching on my lane as I was passing and wanted to make sure they didn't hit me. The horn is an instrument for warning, and its obvious when someone attempts to piss someone else off by holding down on the horn switch.. where a double tap is usually taken as a cautionary alert, and for the horn not to function reliably every time and with the speed that a human can press the horn switch, is an absolute failure on Dodge's part to have a safety device operating properly. This happens every day, all the time, and I'm told by others, that its like this now across all of Dodge's fleet, this is a design flaw and should be repaired!

- Strasburg, VA, USA

Apr 212015

As I was approaching a traffic signal, my car lost power and did a half shut off (lost power items, but did not actually lock the steering out as if the car was in park). I was still moving and was doing approx. 20-25 mph when this happened. My power steering, brakes, etc were all lost and there was an overwhelming sound coming from the stereo system (sounded like a bomb going off in the car.). I was able to get the car stopped and pulled over to a turn lane that was not in use without getting hit. Once I got the car stopped, it started back up and I was able to take the vehicle to the dealer. The dealer has not been able to diagnose the problem. This is not my first issue with the car. It also has had 'service transmission' errors and gave us numerous issues on christmas day as it would not start when we were headed home. Each time, the dealership was notified and they had the car for 92 days while they rewired the electrical system. These cars are not safe, even after having the electrical rewired, the car is still sending error messages and now shutting down while driving it. These need to be recalled.

- Huntersville, NC, USA

Feb 232015

Dart 4-cyl

Battery is faulty when it is slightly charged the car will turn on and send the gauges flipping over to the right and back to the left again while the engine reeves. When the battery is totally dead the car wont turn on at all. When the battery is almost dead the doors will not unlock without using the key and then that sets off the alarm.

- Enumclaw, WA, USA