Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The first year of the new Dodge Dart had a rough start, with owners reporting a disproportionate number of engine and transmission problems.

For transmission, the main complaints are transmission failure & rough shifting. So far, average mileage for transmission failure is 25,000 miles. Not good.

For engine problems, it usually starts with the engine light coming on for any number of reasons: bad sensors, ignition coil replacement, bad wiring, faulty gas cap ... dealers are replacing various components with varying degrees of success, or telling owners they can't duplicate the issue.

2013 Dodge Dart engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Dodge Dart:

2013 Dodge Dart Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Aug 012016

"dode Dart recall" I received a postage a few months ago about a recall for my Dart, everytime I have tried to contact Allstar about the recall they have informed me that the parts have yet to arrive., I have had my car a year and a half. Currently everytime I start my car it is saying service transmission on the dash. On several ocassions the car has automatically went into the neural shift, while driving causing me to completly stop in the middle of traffic!!!!!I have almost been into about 4 accidents because of the glitch with my transmission, the air also will work and blow out hot air on one side. Everytime I stop at a stop sign the car struggles to pull off causing my car to jerk tremendously I am destined to get this issued resolved. Allstar still have not contacted me back about the recall, I need my car fixed asap.

- St. Louis, MO, USA

Oct 122015

The contact owns a 2013 Dodge Dart. The contact stated that the maintenance warning indicator illuminated on the instrument panel. In addition, the speedomer failed to display intermittently. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 15V542000 (power train); however, the parts to do the repair were not available. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 53,554. Parts distribution disconnect.

- Oroville, CA, USA

Dec 212015

While driving on a highway going about 75 mph my 2013 Dodge Dart acted up out of nowhere. The car suddenly decreased in speed my entire dashboard lit up, the check engine light and the throttle control light stayed on. Luckily I was very close to an exit and put my flashers on and exited to get to safety. This car has been acting up with day one and continues to impress me with the # of repairs done. There is also something that has baffled about 5 mechanics and is still doing. The clutch keeps on sticking and the car can not be put into gear. Many mechanics and dealerships can not figure out how to fix or what is wrong. I will never buy a chrystler brand again and definitely not recommend.

- Savannah, GA, USA

Aug 012015

I have not been notified at all on my recalls. There has been several things I've called my dealership on and I thought it had been fixed not knowing it was a recall. But it is not fixed. My transmission won't let me put car in reverse very easy. My car engine rpms get higher when I approach to stop. It acts like it's not getting enough fuel St times like it cuts out. My bluetooth is hard to connect. My front driver tire has wore out 2 side walls tires but has never went flat but never shows it's very low but it is never the same as others. My car front driver makes a noise like suspension is messed up and it's very rough riding. I no longer get good gas mileage. When I go to park my car it wants to roll aft err being put in park. The breaks are very touchy. Barely graze the pedal and you'll hit the steering wheel. I wanted a new car all my life and after 35 years I was finally able to get one and I'm still in the same position as before. Please help on what to-do considering I've yet to even receive anything about my car having any recall. And I've got 2 kids that I'm raising alone andi'm it says can cause accident why can't I get a replacement car till they get the parts to make my car safe. I'm very unhappy

- Rocky, OK, USA

Jul 062015

This car when cold.he runs, // when it is hot stop inexplicably..I want know.what to do because I live in venezuela..//here you can not afford to fix it...ineed your I work at the embassy of brazil..;;I worked in New York..I brought this car guys think it is possible..chyrysler seek this car here to fix for I love this I bought Grand Cherokee, ,.but ilove my Dodge..this car has my car just gets in garage...obs obs..avery sad thing happened to me I was in miami Chrysler store in ventura.they sold me the wrong computer.;and even stayed wth my old computer..they sold me this computer doesn't.plugue cables in my car...please helpe me...

- Caracas Venezuela, NY, USA

Mar 312015

While accelerating from a stand still on to a freeway or any road with a speed limit above 25 mph is very dangerous in this car. When you step on the accelerator pedal the cars does not respond very fast and takes a few seconds before it actually gets up and moves to a good speed. This issue happens every time you accelerate, this has been an issue since I bought the car. I have had many close calls while merging into traffic.

- Helendale, CA, USA

Oct 122015

While driving on the highway in the fast lane, my gas pedal went all the way to the floor and my car lost all acceleration and steering became hard to turn. When this happened most of my car engine lights were blinking and when I placed the car in park the vehicle didn't notice it was in park. Thankfully I was able to get off to the emergency shoulder. I took the car into the dealership where they told me there was a recall notice in August 26th which was just sent out to Dodge Dart owners. The dealership told me it would cost me 1,500-2,000 to fix the problem, money which I do not have so I traded in my car with negative equity, and the dealership, I believe was very non-professional and took advantage of the situation. They also showed me an incorrect nada price chart for the trade-in value to my car.

- Denver, CO, USA

Aug 102015

The contact owns a 2013 Dodge Dart. While driving 10 mph, the accelrator pedal seized and the contact's vehicle crashed into the rear of another vehicle. The contact stated that the air bags failed to deploy. A police report was filed. The contact stated that there were no injuries sustained in the crash. The vehicle was towed to the dealer. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 31,000.

- Caldwell, OH, USA

Nov 012013

Eight months after purchasing the vehicle the BCM (body control module) failed causing door locks and trunk release not the function this happened while the vehicle was stationary or in motion on city streets or the highway. After the BCM was replaced the interior lights stop functioning along with the dashboard lights flickering. This also happened while the vehicle was stationary or in motion on city streets or the highway. The vehicle traction control and cruise control both malfunction while the vehicle was stationary or in motion on city streets or the highway. Https://

- Redford, MI, USA

Jun 172014

Vehicle threw an error message on the led dashboard about servicing the transmission. Unable to place car in reverse or drive. After messing with it for a while (shutting vehicle off and turning back on, pausing for a few minutes) the vehicle would finally work again. This seemed to happen during the middle of the year and towards winter with the recall eventually taking place. (2014). I argued with the dealership to provide something for transportation since I had no other options. After arguing and finally getting a rental they offered to pay 3 days. It took them multiple days to look into the issue and they found low transmission fluid. There was a software update to take care of the recall as well. This year almost 6 months since the last incident the same issues are occurring. About two weeks ago I came across the same issues. It took a week to get an appointment with the local dealer and I had to borrow a vehicle since the car has trouble accelerating with these issues. They performed a software update and it seemed to work for a week. Today the engine wouldn't start but the cars computers turned on. After testing different steps the car finally turned on but the acceleration is clunky and doesn't shift appropriately.

- Normal, IL, USA

Jun 012015

Weve had issues with the car since day one of driving it off the lot but the dealership didnt want to do their job here about 3 months ago we were in the process of moving and my fiancee had the car floored I thought for sure my family was going to lose their lives because the car didnt have the power to speed up its not the first time and my family lives comes first weve tried getting it resolved and even tried to use it as a trade it at another dealership and they refuse to even touch it the car had already 43000 miles on it when we drove it off the lot and 5 days after having it the shifter cable popped off and since then its been problems after problems and theres so much more wrong with it and since June its been sitting I refuse to have my family hurt do to a malfunctioning car my fiancee jamie wagner's name is also on the paperwork from dealership amongst weve contacted attorney general Dodge Chrysler mopar and deal with reinkes and findlay Dodge for things one this car

- Defiance, OH, USA

Mar 312013

The contact owns a 2013 Dodge Dart. The contact stated that while driving at 35 mph, the vehicle lost power. In addition, the accelerator pedal was depressed but the vehicle failed to accelerate. The vehicle was towed to a dealer. The contact was unsure about what part needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The contact stated that three years later, while driving at 35 mph, the vehicle began to independently slide to the right. As a result, the contact crashed into a pole and the air bags failed to deploy. The ABS and anti slide warning light illuminated. The contact did not sustain any injuries. A police report was not filed. The vehicle was taken to an auto body repair center for repairs. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 25,000.

- Bronx, NY, USA

Oct 142014

I have been having the same issue and a burning smell happening. In October the dealer replaced the tcm at 33,000 miles and stated I was lucky to be under warranty since it would cost $600+ out of pocket. Now on christmas morning I had the check engine light, service transmission message, and autostick not available message display. I was able to limp home to have R, N, D show gear not available. After waiting I turned the car on and the messages cleared. Then 2 days later I was an hour late to work since the messages and shifting problem occurred on the highway. During traffic stoppages I could not get up to speed fast enough and almost caused an accident. The message and issue cleared again when I left work and I drove home but now it shifts at 5,000+ RPM when accelerating after a stop sign. Burning smell is back and car is sluggish. Seems like Chrysler is waiting for enough people to die before addressing the issue. Currently have 39,000 miles on car. Before the issue in October there was also a "software update" for this after I had it about a week with 500-600 miles around mid August 2013. I purchased this car new to have reliable transportation for work. Now it seems I have an unreliable car with loan payments and dealer service costs since Chrysler doesn't cover transmission problems with the power train warranty apparently.

- Port St Lucie, FL, USA

Nov 272014

To add to a long list of issues with this vehicle we now have a very serious one that Chrysler does not cover in the powertrain warranty. On thanksgiving when getting ready to leave a store my wife put the vehicle into what she thought was 1st only to begin going into reverse. Thankfully there was nothing behind at the time. We discovered that you can put the vehicle into reverse at any speed or anytime without the use of the shift release. Upon taking the vehicle to the dealer they stated that the shifter needs replaced as the cable broke free. They also discover that the reverse shift sensor had gone bad as well which may have been causing the traction control light to come on and the cruise control to stop working. This is but another issue that there where no warning lights, bells or whistles yet everything is ok because the computer says it is. This vehicle is a death trap, they will not fix even though it is a known issue since 2012 when they first release the vehicle. Apparently someone needs to die for it to be a serious enough issue.. Chrysler needs to be made to step up and take responsibility for their shoddy products. Our heater core is leaking, turbo intermittent, engine surges (RPM's) etc.

- Oak Harbor, OH, USA

May 232014

Issues with transmission, gears and power. After parking my car and attempting to restart the car would not turn on, multiple lights came on the dash board, and message read that my car did not recognize the gear. Was not able to start car. It was towed to the dealership. On another occasion, I was driving about 30 mph and my car stop working, lost all power and it took about 5 minutes before I was able to use the gears. On multiple occasions the car wont recognize the gears used and it will act as though it is in neutral. I have also experienced a decline of power while driving as well as back firing in the engine when cylinders misfire. Heated seats don't always work and the key fobs don't always work.

- Fortuna, CA, USA

May 222013

Driving at a average speed of 60-70 when passing on the hwy my clutch pedal was stuck to the floor and I had to pull it out with my foot to change gears. This now has started happening on take offs now. The dealer has all ready replace it once and it is still having the same issue. Apparently the part is on back order because they can not keep enough in stock for the cars that are having this replaced. It took 21 days in order for my part to arrive at the dealership. Now I have to wait longer for a new one to replace the one that was put in. This can cause a serious issue almost life threatening because you could be pulling out into traffic and god forbid you can't react fast enough.

- Grandview, MO, USA

Nov 202012

A few short weeks after purchasing the 2013 Dodge Dart rallye 1.4L turbo; the bluetooth failed to stay connected. Took it to get serviced at least three times due to this issue. In addition, just recently (2014) the emergency brake has failed to work when parked on an incline; not all of the time but sometimes. Also recently noticed, the cruise control button on the steering wheel fails to work all of the time. Not until you stop and restart the vehicle does the cruise control "decide" to work once again. Even so, in the first few months of obtaining the vehicle I noticed chip marks on the front bumper. As 2014 has approached, there are about a couple hundred chip marks on the front bumper but the car has not been driven in areas to cause this much damage. The Dodge Dart rallye's were supposed to contain chip guard which does not make sense as to why the front bumper paint has chipped off so badly!!!

- Williamsport, PA, USA

Oct 102013

Dart 4-cyl

At acceleration the car periodically stalls before accelerating.

- Kuna, ID, USA

Mar 112014

Dart 4-cyl

While accelerating the vehicle began to randomly sputter/hesitate. Check engine light illuminated with fault code (P0352) and continued to sputter/hesitate during acceleration process. After diagnosis it appears the engine's ignition control system is failing and has been for some time. According to dealership, this is not covered outside basic warranty or any known recall.

- Prairie Village, KS, USA

Feb 262014

Dart 4-cyl

I wash stopped at a red light when vehicle motor started revving up all the way to where the tachometer was fully in the red. My foot was not on the accelerator and nothing was pressing the accelerator down. There were several cars in front of me and as well behind me. I could not get the car out of drive as it crept forward. I had to turn ignition off to stop the car! when light turned to green and the other cars had moved forward I then started the car and pulled it to the roadside. Turned the car off again and restarted the car. Everything seemed normal and continued to drive to my destination. Later driving the car home was definitely an adventure of pure nerves due to the scare this incident. I have now contacted the Dodge dealership where the car was purchased and waiting now for an hour for someone to contact me back for an appointment. This was a very scary situation to have happened but thankful no one was hurt.

- Dunnellon, FL, USA