6.5

2. replaced rear ABS speed sensor in differential (2 reports)
  3. transmission sensor or wheel sensor (2 reports)
  4. pulled a fuse (1 reports)
  5. turn engine off and then on again (1 reports)
1999 Dodge Durango electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 1999 Dodge Durango:

1999 Dodge Durango Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Feb 012011

Durango V8

Replaced the speed control sensor in the rear differential 3 times and the speedometer does not work also abs and brake light stay on. ANY SUGGESTIONS, PLEASE.

- , White Cloud, MI, USA

Aug 112009

Durango SLT 5.2L

Ok folks, I have solved the problem and it has been a pain!!! yes, it has...

my engine,ABS and brake light was on all day everyday right?

1. I replaced the ABS module bcuz it wasn't communicating

2. Both speed control sensors replaced transmission $20.00 anrd rear diff $55.00 after that everything started to work but my ABS and brake light remain on and it wouldn't turn off. we ran an ABS computer scan on the car which I didn't know this but it is a different system with a different unique computer scanner not the regular OBD II. So be advice!!!

3. once we scanned the ABS system we cleared it, problem remain.scanner showed code 21which was front passenger side ABS WHEEL SENSOR $75.00 LOCATED INSIDE THE WHEEL HUB. Once it was replaced I drove the car for a few miles and it cleared. I'm back to normal. I tried very hard to figured this out with my mechanic and it was resolved..

- , Los Angeles, CA, USA

Mar 022009

Durango SLT 4x4 316 V8

It is a pain in the ass to try and fine the solution to fix this problem!

- , Lexington, NC, USA

Jul 152008

Durango SLT 5.9L V8

i bought a used Durango for $2000 this year. i was told that the abs pump stayed on after the truck was turned off. the previous owner show me a fuse to pull but i lost all dash gauges. My mechanic looked at it, pulled out an aftermarket alarm and checked the wires to the whole abs system. It still did the same thing and it gave us incorrect error codes. We put the fuse back in because i wanted my speedometer back. eventually we got frustrated and pulled the #9 fuse under the hood. (abs/rwal fuse). It shut down my abs system so i have an abs and brake light on the dash but have a speedometer which i find more important. i have driven it that way for a couple hundred miles without a problem.

- , Shelton, CT, USA

Jul 182008

Durango SLT 5.2V8

The ABS and Brake light came on suddenly and without any warning signs. No trouble with brakes or ABS up to this point. Brakes just replaced last fall only 8,000 miles since replacement. Also the speedometer started going wonky (my technical term for it not responding until around 30 mph and then it suddenly pops up). We replaced the trans speed sensor, no change. Now going to try the differential sensor.

- , Plainfield, IL, USA

Jul 182008

Durango SLT 5.2V8

I am experiencing pretty much the same as everyone else. ABS & Brake lights came on without warning at the same time and now the speedometer doesn't register until I hit around 30MPH. Anyone get this fixed aside from the person who replaced the speed sensor on the differential???

- , Plainfield, IL, USA

Jul 172008

Durango SLT

THis freakin Suv cost me 10 grand and it is the worst sh*t ever.

- , St.Thomas, VI, Virgin Islands (US)

Jun 292005

Durango

if any one knows how to fix this problem let me know please

- , Gibsonburg, Ohioi, USA

Jan 112008

Durango 5.2L

Why arent we calling in these problems with dailmer Chrysler's we are having a light show.it is so embarrassing anymore. my passenger tire fell off the one time and when i called them they said the recall was only for Durangos 2000 and newer, go figure my car is a 1999 Durango. i was sooo mad. i am having the same problems you guys are and i am so upset. i love my Durango the look of it but the performance sucks. i can not afford the repairs right now. why don't we contact dailmer Chrysler then they might put these repairs on a recall and help us out. this sounds like a problem with the manufacturing of this vehicle.

- , Boyertown, PA, USA

Feb 282007

Durango SLT 5.2L V8

I have the exact same problems. Did anyone eventually get everything fixed? My Abs light and parking brake light stay on. When this happened it sounded like something was running and I checked under the hood and it was the abs motor. We unplugged the fuse for that but that never fixed the dash lights. We called about a new abs motor and that will cost us $650, but they said we don't need to have abs brakes anyway. My truck goes in and out of overdrive constantly after a certain speed. Goes through gas like crazy. $20 gets me about 1 hour of driving time, if I'm lucky. Also I have had the problem of my truck not starting. We have replaced the battery and have experienced that clicking sound in the dashboard. Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.

- , Brooks, Alberta, Canada

Nov 012007

Durango SLT 5.9L V8

My ABS Light came on then my Brake light, then my speed sensor started to malfunction. Later my transmission burned up. After having it replaced, a year later my transmission is having problems again, now a different shop is telling me the reason my transmission is burning up is because of the problem with the sensors. How do i fix or how should they fix this problem. So i dont go through a third transmission?

- , Riverton, UT, USA

Aug 102007

Durango Slt 4x4 5.2L

Love my Durango. Absolute gem. Would never get rid of it. The problem with the ABS and Brake light staying on aggravates the daylights outta me. The speedometer not working properly is a pain in the neck, I have to watch my tach and keep up with traffic no speeding tickets yet. I will be repairing it on my own.

- , Metairie, LA, USA

Jun 232007

Durango SLT 5.2L V8

I have never had such a lemon in my life. By the time I finish repaired EVERYTHING on this vehicle, it will be brand new. ABS/Brake and Check Engine lights came on. Every time one thing is fixed on this truck then something else breaks. I have owned several vehicles before and this is by far the worse. I am afraid to travel any further than 25 miles in this truck for fear it will break down in the middle of nowhere.

- , St. Charles, MO, USA

Jun 292007

Durango SLT 5.9L V8

The problem is the brake, ABS, and speedometer. Are they considered 3 different problems? The ABS and brake light are one problem. They cam on at the same time. As far as I can tell from the maintenance manual it has something to do with the inputs+= tone rings in the front and back. It says the tires are turning, so the speedometer doesn't realize it so to speak. It is a frustration because we were trying to sell it when this happened. Now we would like to fix it and send it on its way. These 3 things are related. Help!!!! It has not been a problem until now.

- , Portland, OR, USA

Jul 312007

Durango SLT 5.2L V8

Same problems as others reported here. ABS/Brake lights on, speedometer affected. Replaced rear ABS speed sensor in differential and solved the problem. Could only find part at NAPA (part 530778) for $30 with tax. However, NAPA had this listed under ABS (not speed sensor), and it was listed for only 4WD, though mine is 2WD. Installation was fairly simple, and I have very little automotive experience. The sensor unplugs from the top front of the differential casing after removing a nut and a stud/bolt. No need to open differential casing and replace fluid. I had to break the old one off to get it out, and used needle nose pliers to get the remaining piece out. New sensor is pushed into casing with the stud/bolt. Vague instructions are included with the new part. I disconnected the battery to reset the warning lights after the installation, though I'm not sure it was necessary.

- , Atlanta, GA, USA

Aug 012006

Durango SLT

I bought this car from a private sale almost three weeks ago. The fourth day I had it, it broke down need a new water pump $406.00. Pressure test to find the problem $70.00. New serpentine belt $80.00. Got it back from the dealership and later that night this problem occurred. Can we not trust private sales from old people either?

- , Newport News, VA, USA

Jan 312007

Durango SLT 5.9L

If the speedometer isn't working it's 99% most likely a speed sensor. there are several speed sensors throughout the durango. Mine was a transmission speed sensor but it could have likely been a wheel censor to. The ABS system runs of speed sensor and if the sensor go out, the ABS cannot work. 1 yr experience at dealership.

- , South Jordan, UT, USA

Jan 052007

Durango 5.2L V8

Cannot get the brake light to stay off! The speedometer would only register after I hit 15 mph... now it stays at 0 mph until I'm over 50 mph. Its been serviced regularly... resetting the computer worked once for about two days.

- , Toledo, OH, USA

Dec 032006

Durango 5.4L V8

I have replaced the speed sensor and it still does the same thing. Have not found anyone who knows what to try next.

- , Chippewa Falls, WI, USA

Nov 092006

Durango SLT V8

Setting the cruise control at a certain speed, then as proceeding down a hill the truck continues to gain speed and cancelling or stepping on the break is the only way to slow the vehicle down. It is just plain scary. What is the use of cruise control, if you have to shut it down every time you go down a hill?

- , Moscow, ID, USA