9.3

2. new computer (16 reports)
  3. cool down engine (12 reports)
  4. no solution factory need to call back (10 reports)
  5. replaced pcm (9 reports)
  6. wiggle the wires to the pcm (4 reports)
1999 Dodge Durango electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 1999 Dodge Durango:

1999 Dodge Durango Owner Comments (Page 1 of 7)

Jun 042012

Durango SLT

Just bought a 1999 Dodge Durango SLT on 6-2-2012 and had it delivered today 6-4-2012. Went to go to the gas station to put gas in about 2 hours after the first incident,(already reported) and almost to gas station the stupid thing randomly shuts off again. I noticed when I tried to start it again and again that the fuel gauge wouldn't even register the fact that there was gas in the vehicle.

This time after waiting nearly 45 minutes in 100 degree heat with myself being pregnant and 6 kids in the car. I got a ride home from a friend and left it where it sat. Will tow it later. I have noticed that this seems to be a pretty common issue with no real definite solution according to the websites I have looked at. (haven't looked here as of yet though).

Does anyone else seem to have the same problem and/or have a solution that works short of either setting said vehicle on fire and pushing it off a cliff or trading it in??

- , Three Rivers, TX, USA

Jun 012011

Durango SLT 5.9L

Back in June of 2011 the Durango started dying. Was stranded many times on the freeway or parking lots. Was barely able to get off the road. Took it to the mechanic and they said it was a leaky manifold. Fixed it just for a while. Took the Durango back in to another mechanic in Dec, where they have been doing common maintenance work. They finally have that fixed and took it for a test drive and it died on them. They said it could be a crank sensor so it got replaced and now that didn't fix it and now its either the PCM or ECM on the firewall getting hot and just shutting off without a warning. Called Dodge Complaint Center 1-800-423-6343 and the man said its old and Dodge isn't recalling this part. I've sunk a lot of money in this vehicle and am tired of it. We all need to complain about this problem. Dodge complaint center can't recall it if there isn't a lot of people complaining. Please everyone with this problem call them. Right now fuming about this.

- , Lee's Summit, MO, USA

Feb 172011

Durango 5.9L

computer gets hot and shuts down engine.when it cools down engine will start and run about 45 minutes.

- , Livingston, Tennessee, USA

May 022013

Durango V8

I am a single mother, with a 12 year old daughter who works her ass off, no child support, no extra money for auto reoairs, I have replaced several parts on my 1999 dodge durango, with no avail. My truck breaks down whenever if feels like it needs too. It just shuts down on the highway, in the city, at the park, at the mall. My daughter and I have pushed it out of 3 lanes of traffic in the pouring down rain. We have sat for 10 minutes, 15 minutes or longer before it will start again, how embrassing when she has a friend over and try to have a fun day but cannot even make it to the beach, to the mall or simply to the store because the damn thing will not run. I am tired of eating Mc Donalds french fries because have to wait for my truck to decide to run again. So Dodge what are you going to do for me????????????????????????????????????????????????????

- , Holiday, FL - Florida, USA

Jul 252012

Durango LX 5.4L

I have taken this durango to 3 different auto shops and no one can figure out what is wrong with it. Now, if I let it sit for an hour or more it sometimes will restart. Anybody give me suggestions with what it could be, I'm getting mad. Can't figure out what is wrong.

- , Boswell, PA, USA

Oct 012012

Durango SLT 3.9L V8

Just reviewed the website and am amazed how many Durangos have the PCM [computer] issue. Unbelievable! Same problem as described ..the engine shuts down unexpectedly. Have been to two shops who couldn't identify the issue. All ready out $360 for a crank shaft sensor that did not fix the problem. Dodge wants nearly $1400 to repair an issue that should be a recall. Are you reading this Dodge? Will never purchase a Chrysler product again. Also had front end problems requiring ball joints and control arm bushings. Another sweet $1600! Never needed this much maintenance on a vehicle with only 89,000 miles. What a piece of crap.

- , Avondale, AZ, USA

Feb 022009

Durango 5.2L Magnum V8

99 Durango has been a great truck for a long while. Only in the last 4 or so years has it been a problem. Shuts off while driving all the time now. We have changed fuses, coils, and still nothing. Went out the other day and the truck wouldn't start at all. The computer under the glove box was just clicking. The battery was drained. Couldn't find a draw on the battery anywhere. Replaced the battery and it started. Ran fine up untill who knows? I have spent so much in tow trucks I bought a aaa membership. Seems to be the best thing to date. It must be something with the mileage that triggers this dangerous problem. I'm going to try the crank position sensor next. I also have a 98 dakota with the same motor, knock on wood never had a problem like this. This issue is specific with this year and model. It has to be a faulty part made in Mexico that dodge purchase for these trucks, or it's a bad program. I tend to lean towards the part only because others have had there CPU replaced or flashed.

- , Palm Beach Gardens, FL, USA

Aug 012011

Durango 5.9L

The problem occurs after the engine warms. No warnings prior to the engine shutting off. Driver loses power stearing once the engine shuts off. In order to start the car again the driver must keep foot on gas to keep the car idoling. If you need to get your car home without towing, the only way to keep the engine on is to keep your foot on the gas lightly, even while stopping. This is a very dangerous way to drive for people who are not accustomed to dealing with a vehicle that shuts itself off. I've owned my Durango for 9 years and have replaced the PCM three times. Do not buy brand new PCM's. Many auto part stores specialize in rebuilding/reprogramming the PCM's for Durangos. They will ask you to send your PCM to them, they will reprogram and send back to you. If you buy PCM's brand new, you are looking at close to $1,000 for the part + labor. I only spend $250-300 with shipping. Dodge needs to change where the PCM sits in the engine!!

- , Santa Rosa, CA, USA

Apr 192013

Durango SLT 5.2L V8

The car will just shut down on me, with no warning. Power steering goes out, car stops running, the only thing I can do is pull hard on the steering wheel and try to get it as far out of traffic as possible. Check engine light comes on after sitting for a minute, but a "No Bus" message comes up on the odometer. Gas light comes on, even when the tank is not even near empty. This was the 5th day in a row. Usually, it will start back up after cooling down for about 20 minutes, then run fine the rest of the day. This time, it shut off on me 4 times in a one-mile radius.

- , St. Marys, GA, USA

Mar 062013

Durango ST

Love the Durango but it shuts down with no warning all the damn time and its dangerous.

I was in Afghanistan and my wife had it happen to her a bunch of times. I felt like crap hearing her cry on the phone because she was stuck in traffic broken down and being cussed at by other motorists. If it happens and it kills someone I will feel like crap and I hope Dodge gets sued after reading these complaints of the same problem with no recall fix. I am going to install a small electric fan to cool off ECM and see if that works.

- , Ocean Springs, Missisippi, USA

Jun 142012

Durango SLT 5.2L

shouts down after it running about 5 minutes and wont start till it cools down.then starts and run good for another 5 min.when shut down. It reads no buss found.

- , Clarksburg, IN, USA

Jun 022012

Durango 5.2L

I have been plagued with this problem for months. I never knew when, where or why my Durango would simply quit on me. Sometimes driving down the highway at 65 mph, sometimes while sitting in the ATM drive thru causing other bank customers to resort to pushing my dead ass out of the way and sometimes while running idle in the garage. I began to notice this issue only occured when outdoor temperatures were extreme (breaking down in the middle of traffic, high noon and 105 degrees outside is pure hell) or when I had ran multiple errands in the truck back to back for a couple of hours when outdoor temperatures were cooler. After multiple mechanics, each with different ideas about my problem, multiple tows home, and many wasted dollars on a fuel pump, sensors and labor- one incredibly bright, hard working fellow finally figured out it was the ECM (Elecrical Computer Manager) which needed to be replaced. Now, you would think knowing what was causing this issue would bring happiness. Alas, the joy was short lived once the dealer told me, nay, heavily advised me this part could not be replaced with a used or rebuilt part. No, my friends, this part must be purchased new for $718. Further, this part would need to be programmed or flashed by the dealer at the tune of $195.

- , Owensboro, KY, USA

Apr 212012

Durango V6

It’s nice to know I’m not the only one who has had this problem. Mine started 2 weeks ago. It wouldn’t start and then my dad would go up to it and after a few min it would start. My dad, who is a mechanic, has spent the last 2 weeks trying to fix it and has replaced certain parts to it all with the same result...it still shuts off or wont start every time. The first time it did it I was stopped so I thought that when I was stopped if I had one foot on the break and one on the gas I would be fine. But as I was turning into my neighborhood last Friday it just stopped working. Luckily I was able to drift off the road enough that cars could get around me but it was pretty scary. I am a single mom of two small kids and was very thankful they weren’t in the car at the time. Today after thinking it was fixed again I drove it to work. I got about 8 or 9 miles from my house and it was acting really funny like it wanted to just stall out. So I pulled into a gas station where, as I was waiting for my dad to get there, it just shut off while sitting idle. It did that twice. Then when my dad got there he was going to follow me to work except that when I put it in reverse I didn’t go 5 ft before it stalled again. Now that we know what the problem is what is the best recommendation to fix this so that it doesn’t continue to do this to me?

- , Inwood, WV, USA

Apr 142012

Durango 5.2L

This is unacceptable. Everybody I talk to has the same problem with there Durango. When the vehicle heats up it just shuts down. This is extremely dangerous and I have my 2 year old son in the car. SOMETHING NEEDS TO BE DONE.

- , Clinton Township, MI, USA

Sep 152011

Durango SLT 5.9L

Dodge Durango is just a f*kin piece of crap!!! Start dying without warning in the middle of heavy traffic!!! And nothing in the hell starts the stupid thing again.... Be careful, DON'T BUY A DODGE, they're just a scrap metal.... Most problematic car ever have. Change brakes many times, countless main belts, about 4 pcm's and the stupid garbage keeps doing the same... Best Solution? When this sht was bought, we have a 1985 honda accord, and we toght that car's final destination will be the recycler,... FORTUNATELY we did not, and now, after 200+ kmiles still running like a champ, including a/c and everything, not spent any penny on repairs, just oil & spark plug/wires change.... And you know what? DODGE DURANGO IS THE ONE THAT WILL BE TOWED AWAY TO THE JUNK! Besides, dodge guys know nothing about the problem.... And obviously do less about it.... DODGE SUCKS, this is a real life or death situation, specially during summer days or any temperature over 90F... NEVER BUY A DODGE IN MY LIFE, NEVER...

- , El Centro, CA, USA

Jan 012009

Durango SLT 5.9L

Well some days it happens more than others. Some days it won't happen at all. I have taken it to three different mechanics, none can say what the problem is unless they drive it and it stops for them. Really need to fix this bad, ruining my life at this point. Please any help I would really appreciate it.

The only things that works for me to fix it is wiggle the wires around, and wait about five minutes. And then it usually starts back up.

""IT SAYS(((( NO BoS))) ON THE DASH BOARD TOO IF ANYONE GETS THIS"

Thanks a lot to anyone that can help.

- , Mesa, ARIZONA, USA

Mar 012011

Durango V8

This truck was MY DREAM vehicle!!! Until i actually got one!!! Dont get me wrong its soooo BEAUTIFUL but the month after i got it it started to shut randomly off!!! SCARED THE HELL out of me the first time!!! ive had several things done to it so far (sensor replaced, other junk...) but IT STILL does this!!!! the steering will just lock completely up and become so stiff that 2 VERY strong people cannot turn it! As well as it will My next step is to do a tune up and replace more coolant if that dosent work i do not know what to do!!!! Oh and i CANNOT drive it in temperatures over 95 degrees or im SCREWED!

I will def keep everyone informed!!! And PLEASE if ANYONE know what causes this PLEASE PLEASE let me know. I have two small children and i get stuck in temperatures that kids do not need to be in! I personally think that a class action lawsuit needs to be against dodge for these vehicles and them REFUSING to ANYTHING!!!! (ASSHOLES!) Yes DODGE im talking to you BASTARDS!!!!!

- , Blue Island, IL, USA

Jun 152011

Durango 5.9L

1999 Dodge Durango--- Same Story ---@nd breakdown in less than a week. While out driving during the hotter months, the truck would just shut down while I was driving. The brakes stopped working, the steering wheel stopped working and the odemeter read "no bus". When I finally stopped the car by running into a curb, it would not start for another 30 minutes. Finally got it started and two miles down the road, it happened again. It was explained to me that the pcm box over heats because of where it is placed under the hood. That section where the pcm box is is not receving any air flow to keep it cool. The cooling fins are nested too close to the body of the truck. This is a manufacturing problem and should be RECALLED . This is a safety issue, because you cannot control the car when it shuts down. You also have no warning that the car is getting ready to shut down. The first time it shut down my kids where in the car with me and we were on a very busy expressway. We were almost rear-ended. And we almost rear ended the car in front of us.

- , Stockbridge, GA, USA

Jun 112011

Durango 5.9L

1999 Dodge Durango---While out driving during the hotter months, the truck would just shut down while I was driving. The brakes stopped working, the steering wheel stopped working and the odemeter read "no bus". When I finally stopped the car by running into a curb, it would not start for another 30 minutes. Finally got it started and two miles down the road, it happened again. After talking to other Durango owners, I was directed to change the pcm. Well that is a $1000.00 job. It was explained to me that the pcm box over heats because of where it is placed under the hood. That section where the pcm box is is not receving any air flow to keep it cool. The cooling fins are nested too close to the body of the truck. This is a manufacturing problem and should be RECALLED . This is a safety issue, because you cannot control the car when it shuts down. You also have no warning that the car is getting ready to shut down. The first time it shut down my kids where in the car with me and we were on a very busy expressway. We were almost rear-ended. And we almost rear ended the car in front of us. Please, please I beg Dodge to check into this. I know that there have been several complaints on this truck because of this issue. I hope it does not take someone's death before the company steps up and takes reponsibility for the manufacturing of this vehicle.

- , Stockbridge, GA, USA

Nov 012011

Durango 5.2L V8

I have had the same problem as everyone else. It appears to be a short in the CPS crankshaft position sensor 49.00 dollars at local auto parts store. You need to take the passengers side wheel and cover off to get to the part. it is connected with two 1/2 in bolts the wiring runs to the drivers side just above the rear of the valve cover. I changed mine in about an hour and have had no more problems with it. No need to change the PCM I hope this helps out.

- , Ocoee, FLA, USA