1999 Dodge Durango steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 1999 Dodge Durango:

1999 Dodge Durango Owner Comments

Jul 032013

Durango LX

click to see larger images

unable to steer unable to steer unable to steer

I was backing out of my parking spot at home and I heard a loud pop, pop and then horrible grinding. I lost all ability to steer, I hopped out and had a look the first thing I noticed under the car was the pitman arm completely separated from the center link. Upon further investigation I noticed the steering box had broken loose from the side all 3 bolts snapped off and were just hanging there. I am beyond grateful that this happened at less than 1 mile per hour, otherwise the consequences to my 11 year old son and myself may have been dire. I have called around to shops, and looked on the internet and this seems to be a common problem. My question is why has Dodge done nothing about it??? This is a life threatening problem.

- , Santa Cruz, CA, USA