1999 Dodge Durango transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 1999 Dodge Durango:

1999 Dodge Durango Owner Comments

Oct 272006

Durango 4WD 8-cyl

PCM failure. Was driving on highway at 75mph when I lost all power( I.e. steering, brakes, etc.) and the engine died. Tried restarting and the odometer flashed a warning code. 30 minutes later it started. I only got about two miles away and it happened again. Contacted local Dodge dealer and they said that it was a fairly common thing but since my warranty was over that I was on my own. A week later I was driving it and the same problem happened. This time I ended up in a ditch because I lost the ability to stop and steer. I replaced the PCM and the problem was resolved. It should have been covered by Dodge seeing that there are over 300 cases alone that people have put on the web about this exact issue. Does someone have to die or something for Dodge to take credit for their mistake? 4 months ago the ABS system went out as well. Again, found that 100's have reported this same issue to Dodge.

- Colorado Springs, CO, USA

Aug 182006

Durango 4WD 8-cyl

Going down the road and occasionally at 50 mph the entire vehicle would turn off no power anywhere. Repair shop could not duplicate problem, finally after 2 weeks at the shop they said it needed a new power train control module. The computer number they gave me is a re-manufactured number. So the power train had already been replaced. This vehicle was purchased with 24,000 miles in 2001. Now the cost just for the part is $535.60. That makes 2 power train control modules for 1 vehicle.

- Trevor, WI, USA

Aug 232006

Durango 8-cyl

Car stalls, idles erratically and stalls when falls below 500 rpms. A/C blows hot air when idles falls below 1000 rpms. This has been happening for months, no rhyme or reason, no codes. Sometimes so bad that car stalls as soon as you let off of the accelerator to go around a curve. When will a recall be issued" there is obviously a problem. Dodge needs to step up to the plate. Does someone have to die before its fixed" do a search on the internet. Complaint are everywhere.

- Crofton, MD, USA

May 282006

Durango 4WD 8-cyl

I have E a 1999 5.9 liter 4X4 Dodge Durango. This spring it began to just stall out intermittently. It will turn over but not crank for sometime 30 minutes but then suddenly start and run fine until it stalls again. It will stall while driving with no warning. It is July 25th and it has been in the shop all summer with no codes being found. I have had it in 4 shops now the third being the dealership and they said something no one else said and wanted a ton of money to fix and I took it for second opinion and they said the dealer was wrong. As it is I have about $1000 in parts that have been changed trying to fix this and now they are saying it is the PCM. I am at my witts end because I do not have my car and it is very unsafe when I do have it because there is no warning when it stalls it just suddenly dies and you loose steering and brake power. It is very dangerous. I have searched the internet and found tons of the same troubles with other people. I think a recall is needed because Dodge must know of this issue. The dealers all want different prices to change the PCM and when you call looking for them around the country suppliers say they can not keep them in stock for the Dodge. Please help!!

- Woodstock, GA, USA

Aug 012003

Durango 4WD 8-cyl

If your Dodge Durango shuts down for no real reason it is your PCM, don't let the dealer tell you different. This is covered under emissions warranty up to 80,000 or at least it was for me, and the dealer did not want to replace it, he had me replace the ECM and it did nothing for the problem, so I demanded they replace the PCM, I did my own research on Dodge forum. They don't want to replace the PCM first because it costs them not you, like it should cost them because they have a faulty PCM problem that they don't want to admit to......good luck but keep fighting to the PCM. If you want to know more from me my email is wkfrimodig@hotmail.com

- Bellaire, MI, USA

Aug 092004

Durango 4WD 8-cyl

Shaking and shimmy in the front end when driving on roads front end would shake uncontrollably, need to replace both side of upper and lower ball joints and tie rod ends all was worn out at 80000 miles also transmission wouldn't shift, speed sensor bad on transmission, old parts available certified mech did replacement and had to have it re-aligned.

- Greensboro, PA, USA

Mar 242004

Durango 4WD

PCM was found to be bad. This after the vehicle has stalled and come to a complete stop while driving w/O warning. I have taken it to the dealership 4 times over the past 6+ months. They could find nothing wrong. On the last stall ocassion 3/24/04, a mechanic was able to confirm a bad PCM, this was further confirmed by me visiting dodgetalk.com, others had this same problem. Currently the PCM is on backorder it seems there is a huge demand for this part. I know Dodge should have a recall on this. This was just dangerous, it was through the grave of god that on the 7 separate occassions that the stalling occurred that I nor anyone else was injured. Stalling is not an accurate description, more like just stopped while driving.

- Alexandria, VA, USA

Jan 232004

Durango 4WD 8-cyl

We have several complaints about our 1999 Dodge Durango. We have had the PCM go in 2003, luckily my wife did research and found out there was a recall and it was covered. The front suspension ball joints are blown and now our dealership has informed us that we need to spend $5100 to repair the engine due to the oil pump is blown. The engine will seize if my wife attempts to drive the Durango. There just seems to be a common thread here since most of the complaints I have read about are the same complaints we have.

- Dover, DE, USA

Sep 152002

Durango 4WD 8-cyl

When I pushased my 1999 Dodge Durango the brakes was nosiy...took it back to the dealer.they charged me $90 to do a brake service.after the brakes was used a couple of times they started making nosie again...took it back and dealer stated that it was the pads and they could not do anything about it. Well after that I was fed up with them and took it to a Goodyear shop where they replaced the brakes.(stopped the nosie) and also found out the upper ball joints was bad along with the shocks...so they was replaced costing me $1,300. So much for the extended warenties that I purchased with the vehicle..the dealer also charged me for fliud after two sensors went out that was located inside the transmission..wich the warenty was to cover the drive train..this vehicle is a 1999 Dodge Durango 4X4....new tires had to be purchased because of ball joints was bad causeing tires to wear wrong

- Reynoldsburg, OH, USA

Apr 042002

Durango

While the consumer was driving, the vehicle completely shut off causing the power steering and the power brakes to fail. The dealer replaced the PCM.

- Quebradillas, PR, USA

May 212001

Durango 4WD

Consumer can be going up to 50mph or more and the vehicle loses all power. It cuts off and dies anywhere without warning. Problem has happened before, but dealer couldn't duplicate problem. Vehicle happened to do it this time at dealer. Consumers were responsible for repair cost of $281 for part. The vehicle is only 2years old. Part that failed was PCM (power control module).

- Stanly, NC, USA

Feb 172001

Durango

Tire deflated, no visible damage but cause spin out and loss of traction. (tiresize: P235/75R)( dot number: Tire size: P235/75R )

- Castro Valley, CA, USA

Aug 012000

Durango 4WD

Consumer has a problem with vehicle stalling without prior warning. Vehicle started jerking and it stopped in the middle of the road. Consumer notified dealership, and mechanic told him that they couldn't duplicate the problem. The dealer replaced power train control module, time and alarm module.

- Arlington, TX, USA