9.7

$4,318.00

1. engine replacement (18 reports)
  3. had to trade it in for a loss (2 reports)
  4. cleaned and replaced parts (1 reports)
  5. drive it through the window of the dealership (1 reports)
  6. new engine (1 reports)
2000 Dodge Durango engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2000 Dodge Durango:

2000 Dodge Durango Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Mar 292012

Durango SLT 5.2L 318 V8

Anyone want to buy a boat anchor, cheap!!! What the %&ll is going on with Dodge Durango's engine sludge problem.It seems like no matter how much you change the oil , it never stay's clean.One day after changing ,i check the oil and its black as if it was never changed. And the oil pressure would sometimes drop to 10 lbs. when driving uphill. Now that the engine is blown, its just a cheap boat anchor ,because I don't have the $5000 dollars its going to cost for a replacement. WHATS DODGE GOING TO DO, continue selling time bombs.

- , Tracy, CA, USA

Dec 162008

Durango 4.7L

My durango has the same problem with the oil pump and sludge build up in the motor and i put a oil pump in it but it is shot now . This should be a recll because the motors are junk and it cost more to fix it than is worth . They should have to buy the vehicles back from us .

- , Mount Vernon, KY, USA

Sep 202006

Durango 5.2L

Biggest piece of crap ever! If the automakers didn't make such crap they wouldn't need bailouts. The american people are stupid for letting this crap happen.

- , Angleton, TX, USA

Dec 102008

Durango SLT 4.7L

My oil pressure in my Durango drops to zero. When the car is cold, the oil pressure gauge shows about "70". After 5 minutes, the pressure drops to about "30". When idling at a traffic light, the oil pressure will drop to zero. It immediately comes up if I step on the brake while increasing RPMs. This problem has not happened while driving, only when it is warmed up, and then only at idle. This sucks! Chrysler needs to step up to the plate.

- , Royal Oak, Mich, USA

Dec 112008

Durango 5

I didn't even realize this was an issue until i started looking for engines online and came across multiple hits about this "Oil sludge" issue. Are you F'n kidding me?!?! 85000 miles and now i have to replace an entire engine. what a rip-off!!! No wonder the American car industry is in the crapper. If stuff likr this is happening regularly, why would anyone want to buy another car from Dodge, or GM for that matter. Merry Friggin; Christmas!!!!

- , New Whiteland, IN, USA

Nov 232007

Durango SLT 5.2L

This is clearly an design and engineering issue. This should be a recall. I have spoken to 4 other people and it has happened to one. One out of four! a random sample. If I could find one, I am sure the numbers are much higher than what's being reported.

- , Virginia Beach, VA, USA

Mar 012008

Durango SLT 5.2L V8

how many people have to complain about the same thing in order for them to recall this engine ????!!!! this is nutz!

I'm just wondering if it is worth getting the timing chain fixed...has anyone tried that?

- , Hyde Park, MA, USA

Apr 022008

Durango 5.2L V8

I was driving along at 45 mph when the steering wheel began to vibrate badly. At the light, it would hardly keep running& had a bad rap-rap-rap sound. I thought it might have skipped time, but this engine has a chain, so here I am waiting on a rebuilt engine to the tune of $4200 with the same song as the others in the forum. I am so done with Dodge! Its really too bad because they have some great style...but not substance. i will drive it long enough to get a little of my money back and then leave the Chrysler family.

- , Keller, TX, USA

Mar 172008

Durango SLT 4.7L

October 2007 I experienced a problem with the oil pressure dropping and a ticking sound so I immediately parked the car until I could get it looked at. In January 2008 I had it looked at and they told me that I needed an oil pump, screen, oil pan gasket and timing chain tensioner and a secondary timing chair arm. Well after spending 1500.00 the oil pressure is still dropping and the ticking is much worse. I was told that the motor was so sludged up that even after cleaning it and changing the oil twice back to back it still won't let the oil flow through the motor like it should. I was told that I need a new engine and I don't have the money for that so I guess me and my 3 children will be car less because Chrysler won't recall this motor and I can't afford to pay 500.00 per month for the next 3 yrs and have another car payment.

- , Columbus, OH, USA

Jan 082008

Durango SLT 4.7L

Granted 130000+ miles is a bit high. But, I've regularly run autos and truck to near 200,000 miles, with regular maintenance. This Durango has been very well maintained with regular oil changes at 3000-3500 miles and all recommended mfr maintenance. On 1-8-08 the oil pressure dropped to Zero while driving. It recovered, but then started an irregular up/down. We got it home, and immediately called our service garage. They towed it into the shop, and determined that the oil pump had failed, due to wear that resulted from sludge accumulation. In researching the issue, it seems that Dodge is aware of the issue, and is engaged in legal issues with other engines of like design (the 2.7L particularly). Accordingly, I called Chrysler/Dodge and was politely told to pound sand; that the warranty ran out at 36000 miles, and they weren't responsible.

I beg to differ. This is an engineering fault; the oil ports and chases are too small to move sufficient oil, allowing the oil to cook off into sludge which accumulates in the already too small oil ports and chases. This starves the hydraulic timing chain tensioners and allows the oil pump shafts to wear their races. And, this cannot be remedied by any means other than replacing the motor.

Dodge will never have to worry about selling me another vehicle. Time to call the lawyers.

- , Frankfort, OH, USA

Aug 042007

Durango SLT 4.7L

I had a severe engine knock. Was told the engine was bad. So I checked it for myself and found the timing chain tensioners were not pumping up due to oil sludge. The timing chains were slapping inside the engine creating the knocking sound. I removed the oil pan, tappet covers and timing chain cover. I replaced the timing chains, tensioners and guides. While in there I cleaned as much of the sludge from the top of the heads, timing chain area, crankcase and oil pump. I blew out the oil passages as much as I could with diesel fuel. Put it all back together. Filled with oil and ran it for 100 miles then switched over to a synthetic oil. I was told the synthetic would hold up better to the heat of that engine. It sounds and runs great and only cost me around $500.00 for parts. Now I am going to trade this sucker in as soon as possible before something else goes bad.

- , Illiopolis, IL, USA

Nov 102007

Durango SLT 5.2L V8

Experiencing similar problem as others. The oil gauge suddenly drops to 0. I can shut the engine down for a minute or so and give the sludge time to drain away from the oil pump and when I restart the engine the pressure is normal. A few miles down the road and here we go again. There has to be a solution short of engine rebuild or replacement. Dealership service departments are useless. Everyone works off commission and the prices are outrageous. They have turned into parts replacement professionals. Mechanics are suppose to troubleshoot and repair problems not replace parts until they find the real problem. I challenge the mechanics out there to come up with a reasonable solution.

- , Raleigh, NC, USA

Oct 232007

Durango SLT 4.7L

WE JUST GOT BACK FROM VACATION, THANK THE BIG GUY WE MADE IT HOME, STARTED VEHICLE AND CHECK GAUGES LIGHT CAME ON, CHECK OIL PRESS, I SHUT OFF ENGINE POPPED THE HOOD AND CHECKED OIL, ALL LOOKED GOOD BUT WITH SOME VEHICLES IF YOU DONT HAVE GAS CAP ON RIGHT YOU GET WARNING LIGHTS, STARTED AGAIN STILL NO OIL PRESS, CALLED MY MECHANIC HE TOWED TO HIS GARAGE AND SPENT MANY HOURS TO GET OIL PUMP OUT,AFTER HE MADE NUMEROUS CALLS TO OTHER GUYS, THEY COME UP WITH PRESS REGULATOR IN OIL PUMP? MAYBE BUT WONT KNOW TILL TRY THIS WILL RUN ABOUT 2500 PLUS TO REPAIR OR NEW ENGINE APPROX 6000

INSTALLED, I THINK I AM GOING TO PUT THE OLD GIRL DOWN, WHAT A SHAME THO, MAY EVEN CONSIDER BUYING ANOTHER ONE IN SPRING, BUT GOING TO DO MY HOMEWORK AND CHECK INTO 5.7 OR HEMI.

- , Friendsville, PA, USA

Sep 202007

Durango 5.2L

I changed my oil as my manual suggested. When my engine finally shut down, the oil gauge went haywire and the engine shut off. It has not started since. I got it towed to a mechanic, who told me I had a "common" problem with Durangos. It had developed sludge in the engine. The only way to fix it was to get a new engine put in. This would cost about $4500, which is about $1000 less than what I owe.

- , Fpo, AE, USA

Apr 152007

Durango

Oil Sludge, Oil Sludge, Oil Sludge, Oil Sludge, Oil Sludge.

We regularly change the oil but we still ended up with Oil Sludge. After reading the posts on this site I'm more concerned that this problem will occur again and cause a engine replacement.

- , Brunswick, OH, USA

Apr 112007

Durango SLT Plus 4.7L MAGNUM V8

My gas gauge was on the fritz - jumping up & down like a VU meter for about 6 months. My oil pressure gauge started to do the same thing for a week just before we left on vacation. I parked the car at airport valet lot. When we returned a week later, the car broke down as the parking attendant was driving it to us at the airport. I won't go into all the aggravation in getting it towed, getting a rental a car, etc. while we had been up for 28 hours straight. When I called the dealer where we had it towed on Monday to get the diagnosis ($140) they said I would need an engine replacement for $8000 due to no crank signal and excessive engine sludge. Car isn't worth $8000 - or even $5000 if I could find a cheaper repair. I liked the Durango, but am now going Acura or Subaru.

- , Villanova, PA, USA

Mar 152007

Durango SLT V8 4.3

While driving myself, my 2 teenagers, my dog, and a flying squirrel (yes, flying squirrel) 5 hours to a funeral.... oh, wait.... while my husband was serving in Iraq........ my truck started making an awful sound...... I took it in, and was told I need an entire new engine, I was 1 1/2 hours from home 3 1/2 hours from the funeral, and had to call a friend to rescue me, and my zoo..... it is great that I am out the $4600, I wouldn't want to have wasted it on anything frivolous..... like FOOD or ELECTRICITY!!! I will NOT get another Dodge.....

- , Richmond Hill, GA, USA

Sep 142006

Durango

took care of my car ... did my oil changes on time.... and still get this fricking oil slude problem...... the dealer played dumb.... liked they never heard of any other Durangos having this problem....$2400 to repair That is BS !!!!! I will never, ever buy Dodge again

- , Finksburg, MD, USA

Feb 252007

Durango SLT V8

2000 Dodge Durango, well maintained engine. At 47,000 the oil pressure gauge went to 0. Had vehicle towed to dealer. Sludge build up was diagnosed; I had just had the oil changed 1 week ago. Dealer charged $2200.00 for parts and labor to repair.

Vehicle now has 57,000 and did the same thing. I had it towed to Dodge dealer; this time, 10,000 miles later, the vehicle needs a new $6,000.00 engine. Sludge in the motor. Warranty on the work performed only covered 12 months / 12,000 miles and it has been approximately 18 months since the first incident; NO WARRANTY.

After reading all of the complaints on "SLUDGE Problem" with the Dodge Durangos, I figured I had better send in my complaint.Hopefully Dodge will learn from these problems, as this is definitely my LAST DODGE VEHICLE!!!

Wade Artigue

Lafayette, LA

- , Youngsville, LA, USA

Feb 152007

Durango SLT 4.7L

I have the same issue many of your other readers seem to have with the Durango. Oil gauge jumping followed with in 24 hours with a dead engine. Really nice of Chrysler to support their loyal customer base. I was going to look into getting a new Dodge or Chrysler model... not now.... NEVER! I thought my problems were over with the ball joints, brakes, power steering and suspension replacements... now this!!! The industry wonders why we do not buy American made vehicles,,, does this give ANYONE a CLUE? Going to the Subaru or Toyota dealer next week...

- , Coraopolis, PA, USA